PDA

View Full Version : Widger @ DH?

Bisco Stu
05-27-2005, 12:33 AM
Please?

Fake Chet Lemon
05-27-2005, 12:37 AM
That's nuts, you don't use up both of your catchers.

Cowch44
05-27-2005, 12:41 AM
That's nuts, you don't use up both of your catchers.
He'd only be DHing....I was actually thinking the same thing just yesterday.

voodoochile
05-27-2005, 12:42 AM
He'd only be DHing....I was actually thinking the same thing just yesterday.

If AJ gets hurt, then the pitcher has to bat when they put Widger behind the plate. You'd have to call up Burke to do this.

RedPinStripes
05-27-2005, 12:44 AM
How about wait till frank gets back?

seanpmurphy
05-27-2005, 01:32 AM
Widger at first base.

Mohoney
05-27-2005, 01:41 AM
Widger at first base.

Ozuna at third base, just for a day!

seanpmurphy
05-27-2005, 01:41 AM
Ozuna at third base, just for a day!

Agreed

Tannerfan
05-27-2005, 01:55 AM
If AJ gets hurt, then the pitcher has to bat when they put Widger behind the plate. You'd have to call up Burke to do this.

The way Dye, Everret, and Cruddy are going I'm not so sure the pitchers hitting would be all that bad.

mikehuff
05-27-2005, 09:38 AM
Yeah, I started a post on this yesterday in Talking Baseball called "Questions About The DH Rule."

I never understood some of the intricacies of the rule before.

I do like the idea of Widger at first for a few games. We need some offense.

gobears1987
05-27-2005, 09:40 AM
I think we have Frank back at the DH spot on Monday!!!!

Dan H
05-27-2005, 10:43 AM
Thomas, or no Thomas, the Sox need a left handed bat in the lineup. Everett has to go. Maybe the Cubs can use him.

MUScholar21
05-27-2005, 10:49 AM
Widger at first base? Paulie in his last 8 games is hitting .406 (13 for 32) with 3 HR and 9 RBI.....yep, he definitely needs to get taken out of the lineup :kukoo:

I'm not against Ozuna getting a workout at third base, or even if he played short and Uribe goes to third. A message needs to be sent to these players that are not hitting, and not a message of "We know you'll start to hit better."

MUScholar21
05-27-2005, 10:50 AM
Thomas, or no Thomas, the Sox need a left handed bat in the lineup. Everett has to go. Maybe the Cubs can use him.

Everett is a switch hitter-he bats left handed when the matchup is favorable.

mikehuff
05-27-2005, 10:52 AM
Widger at first base? Paulie in his last 8 games is hitting .406 (13 for 32) with 3 HR and 9 RBI.....yep, he definitely needs to get taken out of the lineup :kukoo:

Wait a second. The point wasn't to get Paulie out of the lineup, the point was to get Widger in. Since the backup catcher wouldn't DH, Paulie would. Everett would be out of the lineup. I don't think there's a problem with trying that.

ondafarm
05-27-2005, 10:57 AM
I think we should recall Frank NOW.

a) He can't be a less productive bat than several of the guys batting right now.

b) Everett never really was an everyday player and he can go back to fourth outfielder.

c) Frank works counts (and forces more pitches per at bat than anybody) this will only help every other batter in the line up.

d) having a future first ballot HOF batting in the middle of the lineup will win more respect from the umps

e) Rowand is not a great choice for #3 spot. #5, #6 or #7 is much better for him.

mikehuff
05-27-2005, 11:01 AM
e) Rowand is not a great choice for #3 spot. #5, #6 or #7 is much better for him.

I don't know about that. As soon as they put him in that role, that's when he finally started hitting. Right now there aren't many better options... AJ maybe?

MUScholar21
05-27-2005, 11:05 AM
d) having a future first ballot HOF batting in the middle of the lineup will win more respect from the umps

I love Frank, and believe he is a Hall of Famer. But as it stands now, he is not a first ballot HOFer. There is still debate whether or not he even IS worthy of the Hall. Like I said, I believe he is, and I doubt there are many people here (besides :dtroll: ) who don't. However, I think we all know that in this town alone, much less the nation, our opinions don't mean squat. The reality is that the only way Frank becomes a sure-fire Hall member is 500 HRs (and even that could be in doubt b/c of all the jackasses who juiced, and may take down the reputation of a guy who is known throughout baseball as clean). Another thread for another day though.

tschneid83
05-27-2005, 12:19 PM
Rowand is not a great choice for #3 spot. #5, #6 or #7 is much better for him.

You dont even watch the games do you???

Dan H
05-27-2005, 01:08 PM
Everett is a switch hitter-he bats left handed when the matchup is favorable.

Like I said the Sox need a good left hander in the lineup.

jabrch
05-27-2005, 01:22 PM
Who'd have ever thunk we'd be trying to make a spot in the order for Widger, a NRI.

SpammySosa
05-27-2005, 01:29 PM
I love Frank, and believe he is a Hall of Famer. But as it stands now, he is not a first ballot HOFer. There is still debate whether or not he even IS worthy of the Hall. Like I said, I believe he is, and I doubt there are many people here (besides :dtroll: ) who don't. However, I think we all know that in this town alone, much less the nation, our opinions don't mean squat. The reality is that the only way Frank becomes a sure-fire Hall member is 500 HRs (and even that could be in doubt b/c of all the jackasses who juiced, and may take down the reputation of a guy who is known throughout baseball as clean). Another thread for another day though.

:deadhorse:

gobears1987
05-27-2005, 01:36 PM
Like I said the Sox need a good left hander in the lineup.
Right now we have AJ and Pods who are 2 lefties doing quite well this year. I agree another may help, but we just need someone who can hit, I don't care so much about lefty vs. righty when the people can't hit in the first place.

Fake Chet Lemon
05-27-2005, 01:43 PM
I think we should recall Frank NOW.

Rowand needs to step it up some to stay at #3, but I love the speed of Pods, Gooch and Rowand at the top. Bat Frank cleanup and move everyone else down one. I'd love to see Crede move to the #10 hole.

na_na_na_na
05-27-2005, 01:52 PM
I'd move widger to first and let paul DH for a while. If aj gets hurt you can just move widger and sub ozuna at first.

kittle42
05-27-2005, 02:31 PM
This thread is ridiculous. Chris Widger? I mean, OK, he has done exceptionally well in very limited playing time, but this is much like the people last year clamoring for Ross Gload to be an every day player based on a very small sample size of ABs. Just silly.

ondafarm
05-27-2005, 02:53 PM
You dont even watch the games do you???

Apart from the punctuation error in your question, I should just ignore stupid insults like this.

Point of fact, in the last seven days, during which he has been batting nothing but #3, he has been hitting at a blazing .167 clip (4-24).

For the season with a 3-2 count he's been hitting at a .056 clip.

Your #3 hitter should be your best bat handler and have a much better batting average, particularly 3-2. Iguchi is a .400 hitter with a 3-2 count.

Rowand is also eigth on the team in rbis (with 15) which the #3 hitter should lead or nearly lead the team in.

kittle42
05-27-2005, 03:09 PM
Apart from the punctuation error in your question, I should just ignore stupid insults like this.

Point of fact, in the last seven days, during which he has been batting nothing but #3, he has been hitting at a blazing .167 clip (4-24).

For the season with a 3-2 count he's been hitting at a .056 clip.

Your #3 hitter should be your best bat handler and have a much better batting average, particularly 3-2. Iguchi is a .400 hitter with a 3-2 count.

Rowand is also eigth on the team in rbis (with 15) which the #3 hitter should lead or nearly lead the team in.

Nice numbers, but do you watch the games?

ondafarm
05-27-2005, 04:24 PM
Nice numbers, but do you watch the games?

The last time a woman broke up with me, she said I paid more attention to the White Sox than to her.

I said, "That's true."

The guy next to me said, "She GAWN!!!"

Baby Fisk
05-27-2005, 04:31 PM
The last time a woman broke up with me, she said I paid more attention to the White Sox than to her.

I said, "That's true."

The guy next to me said, "She GAWN!!!"

:rolling: POTW! :cheers: