PDA

View Full Version : Blackjack Doing Great!

ukigdog
05-26-2005, 11:50 PM
Is it me or does Blackjack really do a great job as an announcer, someone should hire him and fast, he knows his stuff really well! I am very impressed and love his knowledge of the game and how he actually commentates on what is going on, not just pointing out the obvious, but really explaining whats happening! What are the chances of him being our color guy next year?

What are your thoughts?

flo-B-flo
05-26-2005, 11:51 PM
DJ's job may be threatened

Meixner007
05-26-2005, 11:54 PM
Is it me or does Blackjack really do a great job as an announcer, someone should hire him and fast, he knows his stuff really well! I am very impressed and love his knowledge of the game and how he actually commentates on what is going on, not just pointing out the obvious, but really explaining whats happening! What are the chances of him being our color guy next year?

What are your thoughts?

Couldn't agree with you more. I was watching a game at a bar and got home for the 7th and I am just blown away on how "free flowing" this commentary is. Much better than stale laughs and stupid comments over the past few games. Nothign against the Pope, but some people have it and some people don't. Also, if it's you first game obviously you have a lot to say...it might be tought to keep that up for 162.

mike squires
05-27-2005, 12:00 AM
In another thread I mentioned how their voices are kind of similar but I definately agree. Black Jack is doing awesome. And unless someone knows something I don't this is his first time in the booth. Jack must not need the money cause this guy could be a pitching coach or analyst somewhere. The only bad thing is he picked the 95 Yankees as the most fun team he's ever been on and not the 90 or 93-94 Sox. At least he's honest.

CPditka
05-27-2005, 12:30 AM
Black jack is the best "sub" Ive heard, but that doesnt do him justice. I really like his style. Its nice change from the As Kissing of one Darrin Jackson, but thats not my point... the point is Blackjack is really good.

doublem23
05-27-2005, 12:32 AM
Black Jack and DJ have been a very good team. Very natural, interesting commentary tonight.

LuvSox
05-27-2005, 12:33 AM
He may be better suited in a minor league pitching coach role.

SOXintheBURGH
05-27-2005, 12:46 AM
He may be better suited in a minor league pitching coach role.

Or in the current bullpen. (teal? deep pink?)

mmmmmbeeer
05-27-2005, 01:01 AM
Really wish I could have heard the broadcast tonight. Extra Innings had the Angels feed with Rex Hudler. Jeez...their broadcast team is designed for 5 year old little leaguers, "dallas knows he had to hit it over the fence to get that homerun" or "shields needs to throw a strike here to get the strikeout". Those are ficticious lines, but you get the idea. I imagine blackjack brought a lot to the table. Hopefully I'll get another chance at some point this season to hear him.

I_Liked_Manuel
05-27-2005, 01:05 AM
i thought the travel manager was much better. he did a bitchin' uribe impersonation

SouthSideHitman
05-27-2005, 01:20 AM
I noticed the same things as you guys. I was very impressed with Black Jack, he was intelligent, well-spoken, interesting and a little controversial, all while being very personable with DJ and easy to listen to. It felt like a real, albeit a little different fan watching the game, it was so refreshing after dealing with the vacuum of personality with DJ and the Pope in the booth and the obvious tension in styles and personalities between DJ and the Hawkeroo.

SOXintheBURGH
05-27-2005, 01:22 AM
i thought the travel manager was much better. he did a bitchin' uribe impersonation

Teal police! Blarg!!!!

CubsfansareDRUNK
05-27-2005, 01:35 AM

is that green i see?
:tealtutor:

Lip Man 1
05-27-2005, 02:09 AM
Jack has done some work with the Mariners on Fox Sports Northwest.

Lip

SpammySosa
05-27-2005, 02:33 AM
Jeez...their broadcast team is designed for 5 year old little leaguers, "dallas knows he had to hit it over the fence to get that homerun"

Not too impressive HR call,but at least it is more descriptive than:"UH OH!! UH OH!!"

BainesHOF
05-27-2005, 03:30 AM
I wish I could have heard McDowell. He's one of my favorites. He's an intelligent guy, much more so than your typical jock. I was always impressed with how well he would pitch when he had nothing on a given day. He got by on a lot of days with his smarts. He's always been personable when I've met him. I enjoyed talking music with him the last time. Put him in the booth and leave him there, though he might not be up for doing a whole season.

shoota
05-27-2005, 03:48 AM
I was also impressed with McDowell's analysis. DJ is better with anyone but Hawk.

mikehuff
05-27-2005, 10:18 AM
I didn't get to hear a word of it. I was watching at a bar with no sound. Is he scheduled to do anymore? It sucks that he missed it.

Just heard who's doing tonight's game... guess who... Mike Huff !
I love it.

kj.hayes
05-27-2005, 10:23 AM
Black Jack was great. Donn Pall's attempt at commentary (and DJ's half-hearted attempts to engage in "banter") made me cringe.

nlentz88
05-27-2005, 10:49 AM
someone should hire him and fast

He said that when he was a player he always said he'd want to continue to be involved with the game after retirement. However, he went on to say how surprised he was to find that this desire left him when he started getting more and more involved with his kids. His kids are still young (he called them "rug rats") and I got the impression that he wouldn't consider returning to the game (as a coach, broadcaster, etc.) until they had grown up some more.

So if he does have a future career in baseball, it doesn't look like its going to begin any time soon.

Baby Fisk
05-27-2005, 11:24 AM
DJ is better suited for P-B-P, but he is far from good at it. His continued inability to properly call a home run (either way) is becoming annoying.

Black Jack was laid back but informative. Way better than Pall or Ventura in the role. Pall and Ventura are too reserved and need constant prodding. Hawk & Black Jack might make for an interesting combo.

BTW -- does Kenny always talk like Darth Vader? Is that his real voice? :?:

cheeses_h_rice
05-27-2005, 11:33 AM
Black Jack and DJ have been a very good team. Very natural, interesting commentary tonight.

DJ is still a bit on the bland side, but the addition of Black Jack was a very welcome sight for sore ears after several days of the Pope.

na_na_na_na
05-27-2005, 11:42 AM
Agree with everyone about how good black jack was last night. He was so good that my girlfriend was actually interested in the game and was fascinated by his stories. Thats pretty impressive. Someone needs to get this guy away from the rugrats and into the booth.

Iwritecode
05-27-2005, 11:46 AM
BTW -- does Kenny always talk like Darth Vader? Is that his real voice? :?:

I was wondering if I was the only one that noticed that.

He definitely has a "different" way of speaking that's really hard to describe. It's almost like he's trying really hard to make himself sound educated and articulate.

jshanahanjr
05-27-2005, 11:49 AM
He was too good to be true. I couldn't believe how much he brought to the table with the pitch count, making the hitters do something as a pitcher, and the American League game being more difficult to manage. He was awesome! Like a young Steve Stone with better stories!

Baby Fisk
05-27-2005, 11:49 AM
I was wondering if I was the only one that noticed that.

He definitely has a "different" way of speaking that's really hard to describe. It's almost like he's trying really hard to make himself sound educated and articulate.

He definitely sounded like he was In Charge Of All He Commands. What was that bit about having to excuse himself before he became too irate over the action on the field? Is that just schtick?

Iwritecode
05-27-2005, 11:57 AM
He definitely sounded like he was In Charge Of All He Commands. What was that bit about having to excuse himself before he became too irate over the action on the field? Is that just schtick?

IIRC, that happened right after Iguchi slid in under the tag but was still called out.

I think that KW is almost as passionate about this team as we are. It probably took some restraint for him to not react the same way I did (which included throwing my keys and yelling a word or two that I can't post here).

Baby Fisk
05-27-2005, 12:02 PM
IIRC, that happened right after Iguchi slid in under the tag but was still called out.

I think that KW is almost as passionate about this team as we are. It probably took some restraint for him to not react the same way I did (which included throwing my keys and yelling a word or two that I can't post here).
Kenny Williams = Sox VP / General Manager / Sith Lord. :cool:

Rocklive99
05-27-2005, 01:02 PM
He had some interesting points, like about pitch count or comparing managing in the NL and AL

maurice
05-27-2005, 01:07 PM
Props to you, Black Jack. Very nicely done. :gulp:

tacosalbarojas
05-27-2005, 01:13 PM
Props to you, Black Jack. Very nicely done. :gulp:Add me to the list of Black Jack admirers. He was fabulous, and it really shows that he's been up in the booth before (as mentioned earlier in this thread) whereas the other two replacements have not. I expect very little tonight from Mike Huff, but as long as B-Mac comes through, everything will be a-ok.

White Sox Josh
05-27-2005, 01:16 PM
I say anytime Hawk is unavailable or DJ is unavailable Black Jack should be in the booth. He really knew what he was talking about and was able to really take you into the mind of a Jose Contreras or a John Lackey because he was a pitcher. A lot of times former pitchers and catchers make the best analyst.

Iwritecode
05-27-2005, 01:18 PM
A lot of times former pitchers and catchers make the best analyst.

Then what was up with Donn Pall?

White Sox Josh
05-27-2005, 01:22 PM
Then what was up with Donn Pall?Well it's a very tough job and I think you have to be doing it for more than just 2 weeks. In Blackjack's case he was already Yahoo's lead baseball analyst until Sandberg took over for him.

SpammySosa
05-27-2005, 01:23 PM
Then what was up with Donn Pall?

Or Bob Brenly(wasn't he a catcher?) for that minor league team on the Northside?

Harry Chappas
05-27-2005, 01:29 PM
I too found Blackjack outstanding. I found his analysis of pitch counts especially interesting. For those that missed it, he was talking about how no one ever counts the number of pitches thrown during warmups when determining the total pitch count. It may take one pitcher 60 warm-up pitches and another only 30, so the total pitch count reported may be a bit distorted.

Oh, and I liked it when he said that he was getting ready to jump on Ozzie's butt if he yanked Contreras in the sixth during his visit to the mound. I was thinking the same thing.

Blackjack definitely seemed interested in getting back into baseball, but it sounded like he was more interested in coaching than the broadcast booth. I'm sure he'll be successful in either career. Here's to hoping it's with the Sox...

White Sox Josh
05-27-2005, 01:30 PM
Or Bob Brenly(wasn't he a catcher?) for that minor league team on the Northside?Yeah but Steve Stone (pitcher), I think Farmer does a very good job, Don Sutton does an excellent job as the braves analyst, etc.

bafiarocks03
05-27-2005, 01:38 PM
yea i like him A LOT better then Donn Paul or whoever that is!! He was cool! i say he keeps doing it this road trip!:D:

White Sox Josh
05-27-2005, 01:44 PM
yea i like him A LOT better then Donn Paul or whoever that is!! He was cool! i say he keeps doing it this road trip!:D:yeah but unfortunately Mike Huff is gonna be in the booth with DJ in texas. I do think Blackjack has a career ahead of him in broadcasting though.

SpammySosa
05-27-2005, 01:47 PM
yeah but unfortunately Mike Huff is gonna be in the booth with DJ in texas. I do think Blackjack has a career ahead of him in broadcasting though.

Just because Mike Huff was a mediocre player(or worse) doesn't mean he will be a terrible announcer.I am not saying I have high expectations but people are already passing judgement before he has had a chance.

White Sox Josh
05-27-2005, 01:50 PM
Just because Mike Huff was a mediocre player(or worse) doesn't mean he will be a terrible announcer.I am not saying I have high expectations but people are already passing judgement before he has had a chance.I'm not mad that Mike Huff is in the booth but I wish Blackjack would be doing a few more games because He was very good.

SpammySosa
05-27-2005, 01:53 PM
I'm not mad that Mike Huff is in the booth but I wish Blackjack would be doing a few more games because He was very good.

By all means,I agree with you that Blackjack was great.

Brian26
05-27-2005, 02:06 PM
McDowell was sensational last night in the booth. Of the four subs/add-ons this year (Moose, Pall, Ventura, McDowell), Jack was without a doubt the best. By far. Now, I was a huge fan of Ventura's in the booth on the last road trip, but I was even more impressed with Jack. He was outstanding.

To be fair, I thought DJ really stepped it up a notch last night too. DJ is an enigma. He sounds terrible with Hawk usually. He sounds great on the Fox games. He sounds awful with Pall, but he sounded great with Robin and McDowell. DJ's performance seems to correspond to who he's teamed with.

As far as ratings so far for the subs:
1. McDowell
2. Ventura
3. Pall
4. Moose

Baby Fisk
05-27-2005, 02:11 PM
As far as ratings so far for the subs:
1. McDowell
2. Ventura
3. Pall
4. Moose
Brian, where would you rank the unforgettable Hawk-Farmer combo from spring training?

gobears1987
05-27-2005, 02:12 PM
Kenny Williams = Sox VP / General Manager / Sith Lord. :cool:
Don't we have the picture where he looks like he's a Sith? It was during ST and he was wearing the hoodie.

DannyCaterFan
05-27-2005, 02:44 PM
Outstanding job by Blackjack. He first guessed all the way through.

fusillirob1983
05-27-2005, 06:17 PM
I've gotta agree with everyone hear. McDowell was very good last night, hopefully he'll come back to sub again.

WLL1855
05-27-2005, 07:07 PM
Well it's a very tough job and I think you have to be doing it for more than just 2 weeks. In Blackjack's case he was already Yahoo's lead baseball analyst until Sandberg took over for him.

Blackjack losing (or leaving, I don't know which) his Yahoo gig really blew. His articles were really well written and gave great insight to the game from a player's perspective.

I can't say the same about mad scientist Sandberg. I cringe every time I see his face on Yahoo's MLB page. He just doesn't have much interesting to add to whatever he is reporting.

White Sox Josh
05-27-2005, 08:44 PM
Blackjack losing (or leaving, I don't know which) his Yahoo gig really blew. His articles were really well written and gave great insight to the game from a player's perspective.

I can't say the same about mad scientist Sandberg. I cringe every time I see his face on Yahoo's MLB page. He just doesn't have much interesting to add to whatever he is reporting.I really thought Blackjack did a great job for yahoo. I think Sandberg is decent but McDowell really gave you much more insight.