PDA

View Full Version : Questions About The DH Rule

mikehuff
05-26-2005, 04:30 PM
I just heard Mac, Jurko and Harry (on ESPN1000) talking about this.

Someone suggested having Widger be the DH while AJ catches and Jurko was explaining that if AJ got hurt and Widger needed to take over the catching duties, then we would lose the DH for the game (meaning the pitcher would have to hit.)

Is DH not viewed as a "position" that you can switch hitters in and out of?
Does that mean that the DH has to be the same for the whole game unless pinch hit for?

I never heard of that before.

MRKARNO
05-26-2005, 04:41 PM
You only lose the DH for the game if you send up the pitcher in the DH spot I believe.

mikehuff
05-26-2005, 04:49 PM
You only lose the DH for the game if you send up the pitcher in the DH spot I believe.
That's what I thought too. I don't know if I should believe him. He seemed like he knew what he was talking about. He said he just learned this rule himself and recieved no corrections from Mac or Harry.

Anyone have any offical baseball rules quote on the subject?

mikehuff
05-26-2005, 04:54 PM
Got it from the MLB site. Interesting thing to know...

"Pinch hitters for a Designated Hitter may be used. Any substitute hitter for a Designated Hitter becomes the Designated Hitter. A replaced Designated Hitter shall not re enter the game in any capacity. The Designated Hitter may be used defensively, continuing to bat in the same position in the batting order, but the pitcher must then bat in the place of the substituted defensive player, unless more than one substitution is made, and the manager then must designate their spots in the batting order."

Full text is under 6.10
http://www.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/official_info/official_rules/batter_6.jsp

Clembasbal
05-26-2005, 11:24 PM
Got it from the MLB site. Interesting thing to know...

"Pinch hitters for a Designated Hitter may be used. Any substitute hitter for a Designated Hitter becomes the Designated Hitter. A replaced Designated Hitter shall not re enter the game in any capacity. The Designated Hitter may be used defensively, continuing to bat in the same position in the batting order, but the pitcher must then bat in the place of the substituted defensive player, unless more than one substitution is made, and the manager then must designate their spots in the batting order."

Full text is under 6.10
http://www.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/official_info/official_rules/batter_6.jsp

This is why Roger Clemons batted for the Red Sox (or yankees) way back in the mid 1990's. He got a hit in his atbat and it was before Interleague play. SportsCenter talked about it for the week, talking about pitchers in the AL never bat, bla bla bla...I can look for it, but I really don't care that much.