PDA

View Full Version : Albert Pujols, complete class act

Jjav829
05-26-2005, 02:36 PM
Besides being IMO the best player in the game today, Albert Pujols is proving he's also a great person. I don't if anyone caught it, but SportsCenter ran a piece a couple of weeks ago about Pujols' work with children who have Down Syndrome. It originally ran a year or so ago, but it's still a great piece. Just a brief recap, when Pujols met his wife, she had a daughter with Down Syndrome. When Pujols found out, he was completely supportive and has since devoted time and money to helping children. The SportsCenter piece featured a little girl who Pujols has become close with and they showed what Pujols has done for her, including buying her a trip to Disney World.

Well, today there's a story about Albert in the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. On Monday night Pujols hit a line-drive foul ball that struck a 2-year-old boy in the head. The boy was taken to the hospital for treatment. Well guess who showed up Wednesday...Albert Pujols. He came by the hospital with a bunch of autographed items for the little boy and promised the parents that they could get free tickets. Check out the full story here (http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/stories.nsf/cardinals/story/053E82A30EB73A408625700D003EE580?OpenDocument).

Pujols is really turning out to be one of the great people in this game. I've also said that athletes shouldn't be looked upon as heroes, though someone like Albert Pujols might be an exception to that.

Also, credit Scott Rolen for giving the kid an autographed baseball before he left the park.

Baby Fisk
05-26-2005, 02:39 PM
Pujols is really turning out to be one of the great people in this game. I've also said that athletes shouldn't be looked upon as heroes, though someone like Albert Pujols might be an exception to that.

Also, credit Scott Rolen for giving the kid an autographed baseball before he left the park.

It is infuriating when players (I'm lookin' at you Mr. McGwire) loudly proclaim that they are not role models. They know damn ****ing well that they are. The sooner they start to live up to that role, the better the game will be. Mad props to Seņor Pujols.

RKMeibalane
05-26-2005, 02:42 PM
Nice going by both Pujols and Rolen here. The St. Louis Cardinals are, IMO, one of the classiest organizations in all of baseball. It's great that Major League Baseball has ambasadors like Albert Pujols representing the game well, both on and off the field. There are a lot of athletes who would do well to follow Albert's lead.

Iwritecode
05-26-2005, 02:47 PM
Besides being IMO the best player in the game today, Albert Pujols is proving he's also a great person. I don't if anyone caught it, but SportsCenter ran a piece a couple of weeks ago about Pujols' work with children who have Down Syndrome. It originally ran a year or so ago, but it's still a great piece. Just a brief recap, when Pujols met his wife, she had a daughter with Down Syndrome. When Pujols found out, he was completely supportive and has since devoted time and money to helping children. The SportsCenter piece featured a little girl who Pujols has become close with and they showed what Pujols has done for her, including buying her a trip to Disney World.

Well, today there's a story about Albert in the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. On Monday night Pujols hit a line-drive foul ball that struck a 2-year-old boy in the head. The boy was taken to the hospital for treatment. Well guess who showed up Wednesday...Albert Pujols. He came by the hospital with a bunch of autographed items for the little boy and promised the parents that they could get free tickets. Check out the full story here (http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/stories.nsf/cardinals/story/053E82A30EB73A408625700D003EE580?OpenDocument).

Great story and also a good reminder to pay attention to where the ball is going at all times when you are sitting close to the field.

Hope the kid will be ok.

Paulwny
05-26-2005, 07:39 PM
This is off track.
A women was hit by a line drive , shoulder/head area. The paramedics convinced her to go by ambulance to a hospital emergency room for x-rays. To make a long story short, her insurance paid for the hospital visit, but refused to pay for the ambulance. I assumed along with some people I've talked with that the team paid for this.
This occurred at a minor league game, is this also the case with major league games ?

Soxzilla
05-26-2005, 08:36 PM
That's quite an awesome to hear about Pujols. You have to imagine he has an incredibly hectic schedule with little time to relax and spend time with his OWN family, yet he makes time to visit a kid in the hospital and bring gifts as well.

Hopefully more players begin accepting the responsibility their role has major league baseball players.

voodoochile
05-26-2005, 08:44 PM
It is infuriating when players (I'm lookin' at you Mr. McGwire) loudly proclaim that they are not role models. They know damn ****ing well that they are. The sooner they start to live up to that role, the better the game will be. Mad props to Seņor Pujols.

I've always interpreted those types of remarks to mean "athletes shouldn't be roll models". As in, teach your kid to respect and honor people who make a difference in the world, civic leaders, scientists, clergy, etc. Not just people who can jump higher, run faster or hit the ball farther than others,

I agree with that concept. Parents who allow their kids to believe spoiled overpaid children are role models get what they deserve when the kids grow up to be idiots.

voodoochile
05-26-2005, 08:46 PM
Great story and also a good reminder to pay attention to where the ball is going at all times when you are sitting close to the field.

Hope the kid will be ok.

A parent should always sit between their kids and home plate when they are in foul line drive territory.

SOXintheBURGH
05-26-2005, 09:31 PM
It was really a great story.. I've seen it a few times now and each time it made me respect Pujols more and more. At least SportsCenter gets something right now and then.

Soxzilla
05-26-2005, 09:32 PM
I apologize for the political trash talk, if it offended anyone. I was just trying to say that admiring an athlete shouldn't be thought of as a bad thing.

There are quite a few athletes that should be admired, and like I stated before, athletics are an incredibly healthy part of life.

When you grow up wanting to be Frank Thomas, and you spend time working the basepaths, you're not only helping yourself physically and mentally, but you're staying out of trouble and becoming socially adept. Which is one of the most important things about adolescent life.:cool:

Absolutely nothing wrong with that.

SoxFan76
05-26-2005, 09:34 PM
Nice going by both Pujols and Rolen here. The St. Louis Cardinals are, IMO, one of the classiest organizations in all of baseball. It's great that Major League Baseball has ambasadors like Albert Pujols representing the game well, both on and off the field. There are a lot of athletes who would do well to follow Albert's lead.

You know, I thought you just said that because the Cards are the Cubs biggest rival...but then I thought about it. I like most of the guys on that team. Pujols, Mulder, Rolen, Edmonds, they all seem like cool people. Of course I don't really know them personally, but let's just say they are much different than players such as Sosa, McGwire, Bonds, Rocker, ect.

So in other words, I completely agree. The Cards might be one of the classiest organizations in baseball.

SOXintheBURGH
05-27-2005, 12:27 AM
You know, I thought you just said that because the Cards are the Cubs biggest rival...but then I thought about it. I like most of the guys on that team. Pujols, Mulder, Rolen, Edmonds, they all seem like cool people. Of course I don't really know them personally, but let's just say they are much different than players such as Sosa, McGwire, Bonds, Rocker, ect.

So in other words, I completely agree. The Cards might be one of the classiest organizations in baseball.

I concur. There was a similar story recently about a Cards fan getting involved in a brutal car accident and lost his legs.. he recently got to throw out a first pitch at Busch.. he received the same kind of attention from the Cards organization. He was wearing a Morris jersey that got shredded and when he woke up in the hospital he had a brand new one signed by the pitcher.

DSpivack
05-27-2005, 01:18 AM
Of course off the field stuff is always a much better example, but Pujols being a class act doesn't surprise me. A few years ago you could say he was an 'everyday utilityman', if you will; he was and is the Cards best hitter but didn't have a problem playing multiple positions (OF, 3B, 1B).

As far as I can remember the Cardinals have always been a class organization, better than either Chicago team (and most others in baseball).

You can say McGwire was an exception--andro, et al--but he always seemed like a genuinely good guy to me, unlike Sosa who seemed fake. Of course I am biased, however.

The Racehorse
05-27-2005, 06:34 AM
The Cardinals have a great reputation for being a class organization, but it wasn't always that way. I remember reading that during the time of Jackie Robinson, Cardinals players weren't exactly enamored with the idea of baseball integration in general, or Jackie playing in particular. In fact, Enos Slaughter purposely spiked Robinson at 1B when running out a grounder.

As for Pujols, I wish we had him.

gobears1987
05-27-2005, 08:22 AM
I saw the special on Pujols a few weeks ago. He is a great role model without any doubt. I saw that story where they showed he promised to hit a HR for a young child with downs syndrome, and guess what? He hit one in the 1st inning. He has done a lot of work for children and must be thanked for it.

White Sox Josh
05-27-2005, 08:10 PM
Of course off the field stuff is always a much better example, but Pujols being a class act doesn't surprise me. A few years ago you could say he was an 'everyday utilityman', if you will; he was and is the Cards best hitter but didn't have a problem playing multiple positions (OF, 3B, 1B).

As far as I can remember the Cardinals have always been a class organization, better than either Chicago team (and most others in baseball).

You can say McGwire was an exception--andro, et al--but he always seemed like a genuinely good guy to me, unlike Sosa who seemed fake. Of course I am biased, however.I've met McGwire and he's a nice guy. He doesn't mind signing autographs and stuff like that for the fans.