PDA

View Full Version : A Sad Note... Chico Carrasquel dies at 77

MUScholar21
05-26-2005, 09:22 AM
ESPN Radio 1000 is reporting that Chico Carrasquel has passed away.

lukesappling
05-26-2005, 09:45 AM
Chico Carrasquel was a great guy. I had the opportunity of meeting him at Soxfest once, he'll be missed.

Paulwny
05-26-2005, 10:30 AM
Rip

BearSox
05-26-2005, 10:49 AM
I hope the Sox have a special tribute at the memorial day game for him.

Hangar18
05-26-2005, 11:08 AM
Thats a drag .......... wouldve been awesome...... for a special season
to be witnessed by guys from our 1959 team :(:

anewman35
05-26-2005, 11:41 AM

Chico Carrasquel wasn't on the 1959 White Sox.

soxrme
05-26-2005, 12:09 PM
He was replaced by Louie Aparicio in 1956 (I think). He was one of the original Go-Go Sox.

nasox
05-26-2005, 12:13 PM
How old was he?

This is really sad, I hope the Sox honor him at the next home game and then have a little Chico Carrasquel Day.

SOXfnNlansing
05-26-2005, 12:14 PM
http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/story/8506343

cubhater
05-26-2005, 12:16 PM
RIP Chico. You'll be missed. May the baseball gods look out after you.

Wsoxmike59
05-26-2005, 12:17 PM
The first of the Venezuelan Connection at SS for the Sox passed away today. I found a real nice picture of Luis Aloma, Minnie Minoso, and Chico Carrasquel in the dugout at Yankee Stadium circa 1951....the dawn of the Go-Go Sox era.

R.I.P. CHICO

http://cache.gettyimages.com/comp/51165719.jpg?x=x&dasite=MS_GINS&ef=2&ev=1&dareq=F26551EB2304FF5ABDD4599F7EF80AD6

Lip Man 1
05-26-2005, 12:30 PM
That's a shame.
Fine player, good person. Did the Sox 'color' on games for the Spanish network they had in the 90's.

Chico was acquired by the Sox from Branch Rickey and the Dodgers organization for two minor league prospects before the start of the 1950 season.

Chico was traded in part, because he and Paul Richards had their differences particularly because for whatever reason, it took Chico years to learn English. Richards had to keep someone on the club (Luis Aloma) to act as an interpreter. he also reported to camp in 1952 broke and out of shape which drove Richards crazy.

He was dealt to Cleveland before the start of the 1956 season for Larry Doby. Luis Aparicio being ready hastened the deal. Aparicio would go on to be rookie of the year that season.

Lip

Black Sox
05-26-2005, 01:33 PM
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-050526carrasquel,1,1438692.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

tacosalbarojas
05-26-2005, 01:51 PM
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-050526carrasquel,1,1438692.story?coll=cs-home-headlinesR.I.P Chico. Anyone else out there think the SOX or at least Ozzie would roll out a black armband for his countryman. I know he's got that memorial to Jack Gould going on, so I'm thinking something might be in order for Ozzie here as well.

MUScholar21
05-26-2005, 01:56 PM
I hope so. I'm looking forward to Monday's game, in the hopes of a video tribute to him pre-game on the scoreboard. In fact, I'm going to email Brooks and ask him.

MUScholar21
05-26-2005, 02:07 PM
Got a response from Brooks:

We will be honoring Chico on Monday. I am surprized you guys would even question it. This is a very sad day for the White Sox family which includes our fans.

Good to hear that Chico will get his time.

SOXSINCE'70
05-26-2005, 02:28 PM
Good to hear that Chico will get his time.

He deserves it.Coming up with the Sox in the early 50's,when the AL was a
league of white supremacy with very few minority stars,Chico and Minnie
Minoso were among the first AL players (outside of Larry Doby and
Satchel Paige) to show that talent knows no ethinc or racial boundary.

R.I.P.,Chico.:(:

maurice
05-26-2005, 02:53 PM
Ozzie:
Venezuela lost one of its heroes today. As the first great Venezuelan shortstop, Chico helped put our country on the baseball map. I am honored and proud to have known him as a friend and will miss seeing him in my office each day at the ballpark. He was such a great friend, person and role model for young players.

Little Looie:
I was saddened to hear of the passing of Chico Carrasquel. Chico was my hero and mentor. He took me under his wing, and I'm grateful to him for making me the ballplayer that I turned out to be.

RIP, Chico.

ondafarm
05-26-2005, 02:56 PM
R.I.P. Chico!!

I hope you're starting for the (not LA) Angels tonight!!!

nasox
05-26-2005, 03:01 PM
He deserves it.Coming up with the Sox in the early 50's,when the AL was a
league of white supremacy with very few minority stars,Chico and Minnie
Minoso were among the first AL players (outside of Larry Doby and
Satchel Paige) to show that talent knows no ethinc or racial boundary.

R.I.P.,Chico.:(:

Except when it comes to the NBA

gobears1987
05-26-2005, 03:43 PM
RIP Chico. I'm going to the game Monday. I hope people will make nice signs to commemorate the great life led by Chico Carrasquel.

gobears1987
05-26-2005, 04:59 PM
I'm shocked by the lack of responses here. I never saw Chico play as I'm way to young, but I've heard enough about him to respect him as one of the greatest players to play for the Pale Hose.

BigEdWalsh
05-26-2005, 05:20 PM
R.I.P. El Chico, your memory lives on.

MRKARNO
05-26-2005, 05:25 PM
I never saw Chico play, but his importance to the current state of affairs of baseball cannot be diminished.

As the first Latino elected to the All Star team from the major leagues, Chico Carrasquel led the way for many of the Latino players in the game today. He was the hero of many Latin American baseball players playing the game today and he will be sorely missed.

LuvSox
05-26-2005, 06:32 PM
Chico

Paulwny
05-26-2005, 06:48 PM
I'm shocked by the lack of responses here. I never saw Chico play as I'm way to young, but I've heard enough about him to respect him as one of the greatest players to play for the Pale Hose.

A previous thread (A Sad Day) was posted and contains more responses .

wassagstdu
05-26-2005, 07:46 PM
The "Caracas Cat". What a great shortstop. A big part of the magic of the early '50s. I was very unhappy when they traded him -- until I saw "Leetle Louie" play. I think in his prime Chico may have been as good as Louie. Shame that his prime was too short.

Some of the comments in this thread have made me remember that it was only many years later that I looked back and realized that my heroes were a "diverse" group, with Carrasquel, Minoso, Rivera, and Pierce, Harshman, and Fox. All I knew was they were great players who were a joy to watch, and I still think they were great players first and foremost, who just incidentally happened to come from different backgrounds.

RIP Chico. You'll never know how much pleasure your play gave this young boy.

Wsoxmike59
05-26-2005, 08:16 PM
http://editorial.gettyimages.com/source/search/details_pop.aspx?iid=3356287&cdi=0

And who could forget this moment, when Ozzie made his managerial debut at home and had his fellow Venezuelan contingent on hand to throw out the 1st pitch of the game.

Also at Soxfest a few years back, Tribune Sportswriter Bob Vanderberg was selling one of Sox books (I think it was Minnie and the Mick) and we got to chatting, and when I told him I was a former Tribune employee he pulled out one of his doubly autographed copies of the book for me, signed by the author AND CHICO CARRASQUEL who happened to be in the booth with him the night before!

I have always treasured that book from the moment I got it!

flo-B-flo
05-26-2005, 08:43 PM
RIP Chico. What a wonderful guy. Went to a game in the 60's and before the game my dad and him had a funny and antimated conversation in exagerrated spanish Hilarious! He will be missed by family and his many friends and admirers.:whiner:

TornLabrum
05-26-2005, 09:00 PM
That's a shame.
Fine player, good person. Did the Sox 'color' on games for the Spanish network they had in the 90's.

Chico was acquired by the Sox from Branch Rickey and the Dodgers organization for two minor league prospects before the start of the 1950 season.

Chico was traded in part, because he and Paul Richards had their differences particularly because for whatever reason, it took Chico years to learn English. Richards had to keep someone on the club (Luis Aloma) to act as an interpreter. he also reported to camp in 1952 broke and out of shape which drove Richards crazy.

He was dealt to Cleveland before the start of the 1956 season for Larry Doby. Luis Aparicio being ready hastened the deal. Aparicio would go on to be rookie of the year that season.

Lip

One correction, Lip. Chico was not traded for any differences he had with Paul Richards. Richards was with Baltimore by that time. Marty Marion was the manager when he was traded.

TornLabrum
05-26-2005, 09:07 PM
I've told this story here so many times, but now I have to tell it once again, but I'll give the short version.

Chico is at least half the reason I'm a Sox fan. The other half is Jack Brickhouse. It was a Carrasquel home run in 1955 as called by Brickhouse that sent me scurrying home from my grandparents' house to watch the first baseball game I remember ever seeing.

I'm lucky enough to have told the complete story to Chico at SoxFest several years ago. I was also able to relate Brickhouse's role to him, too.

I feel as if I've lost something precious today.

Mohoney
05-27-2005, 12:25 AM
RIP Chico. God Bless you and the Carrasquel family.

BainesHOF
05-27-2005, 12:38 AM
Mr. Carrasquel was a gentleman the times I met him. I wish I could have seen him play. The Carrasquel-Aparicio-Guillen link is pretty special in the frachise's history.

Nellie_Fox
05-27-2005, 12:49 AM
Chico was the SS when I first became a Sox fan. He was a legend in Venezuela.

May he rest in peace.

owensmouth
05-27-2005, 01:33 AM
Chico Carrasquel was one of my original White Sox heroes. He arrived like a shooting star, brightly lighting the heavens, and then quickly leaving the scene. He was one of the original Go-Go Sox, he helped set the stage for the guys that earned the pennant in 1959.

He helped bring happiness to the south side of Chicago.

God bless him.

Viva Medias B's
05-27-2005, 06:58 AM
I have not seen or heard anything on this, but I wonder if Ozzie will go to Venezuela for the funeral.

gobears1987
05-27-2005, 12:40 PM
I have not seen or heard anything on this, but I wonder if Ozzie will go to Venezuela for the funeral.
I read that Ozzie won't be able to make it as he can't get a direct flight to Caraccas. He'd have to switch multiple times and just can't do that.

MikeW
05-27-2005, 10:17 PM
Very sad to hear that Chico has passed away. He was traded the year I was born(1955) so I never saw him play. But I have read enough about Chico and Nellie Fox to appreciate what kind of player he was. Man, I feel old today. May God be with his many fans and family.

Viva Medias B's
05-27-2005, 10:24 PM
I read that Ozzie won't be able to make it as he can't get a direct flight to Caraccas. He'd have to switch multiple times and just can't do that.

There isn't a Chicago-Miami-Caracas connection?