PDA

View Full Version : Bevington Column

Lip Man 1
05-26-2005, 01:37 PM
For those who may be interested, Greg Couch has a column on Terry Bevington in the Sun-Times today.

Terry was an 'interesting' character to say the least.

I mentioned a few things to Greg about the story. I repost them here just FYI.

"What Terry didn't bother to tell you during his self promoting conversation was this little item....in 1996 the Sox had three players with 100 or more RBI's....they barely missed having FOUR since Harold Baines finished with 98. On June 10th on that season the Sox were 40-21 and tied for first place. Sports Illustrated had just done a story on the Sox stating that this year the Indians weren't going to run away with the division. (Picture of Tony Phillips sliding into 3rd base...)

They finished with 86 wins.

How do you spell Terry Bevington? I D I O T. He couldn't manage his way out of a toilet. (and the Sox organization was right behind him considering they used such clowns as Joe Magrane, a young Mike Sirotka, Luis Andujar and Mike Bertotti as 5th starters...sound familiar?)

As far as Terry's comments about the 'White Flag Trade,' the week it happened Sports Illustrated had a feature story on it, making the Sox the laughingstock of the nation. That story quoted both Wilson Alvarez and Roberto Hernandez as saying Bevington was 'laughing' as he told them the news that they were traded. The conversation took place in the Sox hotel room in Anaheim according to the story. Both pitchers said Bevington didn't like them and apparently was laughing because now he was 'rid' of them. Some what different from the take he gave you.

One final point just FYI regarding LaRussa. Dave Nightingale then The Sporting News' national baseball correspondent, wrote this in a feature column after the 96 season. LaRussa met with Reinsdorf and agreed to a multi year, multi million dollar deal to return to Chicago...Tony was bringing Dave Duncan with him who also supposedly agreed to a multi year, multi million dollar deal. All that was left (out of professional courtesy) was Uncle Jerry running it by 'Jumbotron' Ron Schueler (I call him Jumbotron because he was as big as the scoreboard...) Scheuler REFUSED to 'sanction' it basically telling Uncle Jerry he couldn't abide by the areas that Uncle Jerry allowed LaRussa to have (i.e. a higher payroll, and a roster stacked with veteran players--not the overhyped rookies that Ron was always touting...)

Further Schueler gave Uncle Jerry a take it or leave it deal...either LaRussa or me.

Guess who Uncle Jerry picked? End result...welcome Manager Gandhi!

Lip

tlebar318
05-26-2005, 01:44 PM
Wow, I had never heard about LaRussa coming back at that time. That would have been interesting. I always hated Bevington. Bad manager and seemed a little "odd" to me as well. When he was just a coach on the team and I used to go to the games we used to laugh our aces off at the fact he sprinted full speed back and forth from the coach's box to the dugout in between innings...:D:

DumpJerry
05-26-2005, 01:46 PM
Further Schueler gave Uncle Jerry a take it or leave it deal...either LaRussa or me.

Guess who Uncle Jerry picked? End result...welcome Manager Gandhi!

Lip
Not to mention Navarro instead of that washed up old timer Roger Clemens.

CPditka
05-26-2005, 01:48 PM
There was also a pretty good article in the NW Indiana Times. I dont really have time to look for it now (I'll try later) but the website for the paper is thetimesonline.com (http://www.thetimesonline.com)

enjoy!

Lip Man 1
05-26-2005, 01:57 PM
Here is the link to the column:

http://www.suntimes.com/output/couch/cst-spt-greg26.html

Lip

ja1022
05-26-2005, 02:01 PM
There was also a pretty good article in the NW Indiana Times. I dont really have time to look for it now (I'll try later) but the website for the paper is thetimesonline.com (http://www.thetimesonline.com/)

enjoy!

Here's the Times article:

http://nwitimes.com/articles/2005/05/25/sports/top_sports/b19e6d6d8145d7748625700c000061d3.txt

The Racehorse
05-26-2005, 02:03 PM

I thought Reinsdorf learned his lesson about LaRussa after the '86 fiasco?

Frater Perdurabo
05-26-2005, 02:04 PM
I thought Reinsdorf learned his lesson about LaRussa after the '86 fiasco?

What lesson? Don't let Hawk Harrleson make personnel decisions, like trading Bobby Bonilla and putting Fisk in left field?

32nd&Wallace
05-26-2005, 02:11 PM
I thought Reinsdorf learned his lesson about LaRussa after the '86 fiasco? Reinsdorf has always said firing LaRussa was his worst professional mistake. Hawk was responsible for the 86 debacle.

Irishsox1
05-26-2005, 02:18 PM
Bevington was the worst manager under Reinsdorf ownership. I thought the guy had brain damage.

The Racehorse
05-26-2005, 02:19 PM
What lesson? Don't let Hawk Harrleson make personnel decisions, like trading Bobby Bonilla and putting Fisk in left field?

Reinsdorf has always said firing LaRussa was his worst professional mistake. Hawk was responsible for the 86 debacle.

That.

32nd&Wallace
05-26-2005, 02:20 PM
Was he really that bad? Aren't people mixing up his people skills with his baseball instincts. The Sox were competitive both those years 96 and 97.

nasox
05-26-2005, 02:28 PM
Was he really that bad? Aren't people mixing up his people skills with his baseball instincts. The Sox were competitive both those years 96 and 97.

Well, yes, he really was terrible.

Calls to the bullpen with nobody warming up, etc. Terrible.

MUScholar21
05-26-2005, 02:40 PM
He was a guy who knew where he wanted to go, but wasn't intelligent enough to figure out how to get there.

To put it simply, in a game of chess, he was a checkers kind of guy.

34 Inch Stick
05-26-2005, 03:13 PM

He was. In a game of relatively stupid individuals, he simply did not have the sheer intelligence to compete. I do not use stupid as a put down. The man was just not smart. Functionally retarded are the words that come to mind when I think of Bevington.

The real shocking part was that he had a run as interim manager and yet they still chose to hire him as manager.

CPditka
05-26-2005, 03:42 PM
Here's the Times article:

http://nwitimes.com/articles/2005/05/25/sports/top_sports/b19e6d6d8145d7748625700c000061d3.txt

thanks for the help!

tebman
05-26-2005, 03:52 PM
Was he really that bad?
Yes.

Embarrassingly, astonishingly, bad. The kind of a guy who had no business being a major-league manager -- how he does in a short-season independent league, I don't know, but I suppose it limits the damage he can do.

Realist
05-26-2005, 03:52 PM
It sounds like the fact that I was in the midst of an all out protest against MLB during the Bevington years was probably a blessing.

ja1022
05-26-2005, 04:06 PM
I thought the guy had brain damage.

Wrong. He would actually need a brain to have brain damage.