PDA

View Full Version : Garland for Erstad trade

Irishsox1
05-26-2005, 12:02 PM
At the time I wasn't happy about the trade and I'm glad that it didn't go through. From what I remember the trade was done between Kenny Williams and the Angels GM. When the Angels GM went to the owners at the time (Disney), they said "who is Jon Garland and why would we trade a very popular player like Erstad for a no-name 22 year old pitcher?" The GM explained to them that Garland would be a great pitcher and Singleton would replace Erstad in center, its a steal of a trade. The Disney people thought about it and said no to the trade. So, the trade gets knixed, Erstad who gets hurt so often moves to 1st base, the Sox keep Garland and Singleton is in the minors. I wonder what Kenny thinks of that trade now?

MLB link for the trade information (http://www.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/news/mlb_news_story.jsp?article_id=mlb_20011212_molonyr oundup_news&team_id=mlb)

fquaye149
05-26-2005, 12:38 PM
he might be thinking: I'm glad it didn't go through now

OTOH is Billy Beane thinking: Darn I wish I didn't trade Cotts and Koch for Foulke - he's not even on the team anymore and Cotts is pitching well for the White Sox?

I doubt it.

I bet if Erstad had come here and played us to the playoffs we might not have been all that upset that a pitcher that would take 3 years to finally bust out was gone.

I don't know. Who knows. Kenny really likes Erstad is the lesson of this story, I think.

DaleJRFan
05-26-2005, 12:49 PM
I still say KW's best move this off season was NOT trading Garland for Vasquez. We'd all be calling for his head had that trade happened.

The Racehorse
05-26-2005, 01:04 PM
It's an old & dusty cliche, but sometimes the best trades are the ones you don't make.

santo=dorf
05-26-2005, 04:39 PM
I still say KW's best move this off season was NOT trading Garland for Vasquez. We'd all be calling for his head had that trade happened.

I would love to have Javier Vazquez on this team right now. He got off to a horrible start but he has been on fire since.

Month of May: 1.62 ERA, 39 IP, 35 K's, 31 H, 0 BB.

buehrle4cy05
05-26-2005, 05:03 PM
I would love to have Javier Vazquez on this team right now. He got off to a horrible start but he has been on fire since.

Month of May: 1.62 ERA, 39 IP, 35 K's, 31 H, 0 BB.

I'd still rather have Garland over Vazquez. Garland costs less, which will enable the Sox to go out and make a midseason trade.

pickingleaves20
05-26-2005, 05:59 PM
Garland may cost less now, but his contract's up at the end of the year. And with the way his year's been going so far, he should be even worth more than the $3.4 that he's making now.

gobears1987
05-26-2005, 06:04 PM
Garland may cost less now, but his contract's up at the end of the year. And with the way his year's been going so far, he should be even worth more than the $3.4 that he's making now.
JG is under arbitration next year. That means the arbitrator won't just look at this year, he will look at past years. I can't see Garland getting more than $8 million next year, and that is cheap for his production.

slavko
05-26-2005, 06:13 PM
JG is under arbitration next year. That means the arbitrator won't just look at this year, he will look at past years. I can't see Garland getting more than $8 million next year, and that is cheap for his production.

I'd prefer to tie him up for a few years and avoid arbitration. Pending what the rest of this season brings, of course.

Hendu
05-26-2005, 06:21 PM
Though I'm glad we still have Garland, I think the Angels are pretty happy they didn't make that trade either. Erstad was a major contributor to the World Series-winning team the season following the trade proposal.

ChicagoHoosier
05-26-2005, 06:38 PM
I think we all are happy, both sides. Group hug.

Hendu
05-26-2005, 08:44 PM
I think we all are happy, both sides. Group hug.

Our side will be a lot happier when we win the World Series too :hug:

Infallible
05-26-2005, 09:25 PM
Hell I'm still losing sleep over Sammy Sosa for George Bell......