PDA

View Full Version : Interleague scheduling idea

DumpJerry
05-26-2005, 12:56 PM
Someone mentioned on another thread that MLB should schedule Sox/Cards and Sox/Brewers interleague games to build up natural (geographic) rivalries. I think this is excellent. We could draw many more to those games than against some mediocre distant NL team that comes here anyway during the season to beat up on the Flubs.

Brooks and Co.: Do teams any input into interleague matchups? It would be real easy to sell out a Brewers or Cards series.

After thinking about this, I realize that if we were scheduled to play the Cards in the regular season this year and we sweep them, Flub fans would be at a loss to say we are Number One because we don't play any "good" teams.......:D:

Fenway
05-26-2005, 01:00 PM
According to the Red Sox next year East plays East, Central plays Central etc

What I would like to see is using the rules of the VISITING team's league so fans in AL cities could get a taste of NL ball and NL fans could see what the DH is like.

However it makes too much sense

Sox of White
05-26-2005, 01:00 PM
After thinking about this, I realize that if we were scheduled to play the Cards in the regular season this year and we sweep them, Flub fans would be at a loss to say we are Number One because we don't play any "good" teams.......:D:

It would also be interesting to see how scrubs would root for that series. Lose ground on the only competition in the NL central, or prove the Sox actually do not suck.

krohnjw
05-26-2005, 01:09 PM
I went to the Sox-Cards game a few years back and it was a complete sellout. McGwire was still there and it was rowdy. The Sox smacked down the cards, I think they put up around 10 runs, and a great time was had by all. I would love to see those types of games more often. The intensity was great and the stadium was packed.

nasox
05-26-2005, 01:11 PM

What I would like to see is using the rules of the VISITING team's league so fans in AL cities could get a taste of NL ball and NL fans could see what the DH is like.

But that would be the exact opposite of what is done in the WS. I like your idea, don't get me wrong, but if they should have one code for interleague games including the World Series, not two.

Plus I think that this would be looked upon in the wrong light by fans. They would say, "Why? Why is Selig doing this? Why can't he make changes that fix what is wrong? Like Steroids?"

ewokpelts
05-26-2005, 02:13 PM
i still advocate nba like schedules.....have the sox play every nl team one series a year, and the cubs twice.....then play two series a year against al west/east opponents..and 3 series with al central......mor eor less a balaced sched....
bulls play all western teams twice, and eastern teams 4 times....

Gene

Fenway
05-26-2005, 02:24 PM
i still advocate nba like schedules.....have the sox play every nl team one series a year, and the cubs twice.....then play two series a year against al west/east opponents..and 3 series with al central......mor eor less a balaced sched....

Gene

6 games with Cubs

One 3 game series with 15 other teams = 45
3 home 3 away with AL West = 24
3 home 3 away with AL East = 30
9 home 9 away with AL Cent = 72

177 games

DumpJerry
05-26-2005, 02:25 PM
6 games with Cubs

177 games
That could result in a lot of asterisks in the record book.

Hangar18
05-26-2005, 03:08 PM

YEAH, but everyone knows its better for "baseball" if the Cubs keep playing the Red Sox and Yankees. Look how many times theyve faced already .........

skottyj242
05-26-2005, 03:11 PM
I went to the Sox-Cards game a few years back and it was a complete sellout. McGwire was still there and it was rowdy. The Sox smacked down the cards, I think they put up around 10 runs, and a great time was had by all. I would love to see those types of games more often. The intensity was great and the stadium was packed.

Didn't McGwire hit two that game? And if i remember Robin hit a walk off homer (maybe grand slam?)

nasox
05-26-2005, 03:25 PM
Didn't McGwire hit two that game? And if i remember Robin hit a walk off homer (maybe grand slam?)

I hope there is a sox cards game next season. Excuse to check out their new park :wink:

Or better yet, this year.

ewokpelts
05-26-2005, 05:10 PM
6 games with Cubs

177 games
3 series=9 games.....not 18......

Gene

Fenway
05-26-2005, 05:15 PM
3 series=9 games.....not 18......

Gene

darn I was looking forward to March baseball

http://www.bpl.org/store/IMGs/STMedium/tm_st10221.jpg

krohnjw
05-26-2005, 05:17 PM

There were quite a few homers, but every time the cards would put some runs up the sox would come back and top them. Was a great game to be at.

PaleHosed
05-26-2005, 05:36 PM
Here's my idea....

One 3 game series vs each NL = 48 (there are 16 games in the NL not 15)

Plus an additional 3 games vs. Cubs = 3

3 games home and 3 games away vs AL West = 24
3 games home and 3 games away vs AL East = 30

7 games home and 7 games away vs AL Central = 56
(2 3 game series and 2 4 games series)

Total of 161 games

I like it. Keeps the schedule unbalanced so that it is still more important to beat up your own division and you get to see everyteam at least a series. I think it would draw a lot of fan especially those out of market fans that would be able to see their home town team in their new home.

Hitmen77
05-26-2005, 05:46 PM

Gene

I'd like to see more games against AL East/West foes such as the Yankees and Red Sox. It would help Sox (and other AL teams) attendance to get the Yanks and BoSox in here twice a year like they used to do. I'm sorry, but 18 games against the Royals and Tigers is just too much.

I can see a series against every NL Central team every year. Then the schedule could alternate between playing NL East and NL West year to year.

The Wall
05-26-2005, 05:52 PM
I dont think any games that have been played so far have been true interleague...in the sense that teams are playing by the rules of the league to which the home team belongs. So we've either had NL games featuring AL teams playing by NL rules or vice versa.

What should really make interleague games is if NL team plays by NL rules and AL team plays by AL rules irrespective of who is the home team. Those games would be true interleague games. I dont think Bud and Co will do it though.

Hendu
05-26-2005, 05:58 PM

Yeah, I really like this idea as well. Fans who live in NL cities would be able to see guys like Frank Thomas and Edgar Martinez (well, the future version of him whoever that may be) swing the bat. And fans in AL cities would get to watch their team play a different style of baseball.

ewokpelts
05-26-2005, 06:05 PM
Here's my idea....

One 3 game series vs each NL = 48 (there are 16 games in the NL not 15)

Plus an additional 3 games vs. Cubs = 3

3 games home and 3 games away vs AL West = 24
3 games home and 3 games away vs AL East = 30

7 games home and 7 games away vs AL Central = 56
(2 3 game series and 2 4 games series)

Total of 161 games

I like it. Keeps the schedule unbalanced so that it is still more important to beat up your own division and you get to see everyteam at least a series. I think it would draw a lot of fan especially those out of market fans that would be able to see their home town team in their new home.
it's pretty much the same idea as mine...but refined....
to make it 162, add one more game non-cub inbterleage game9like cards or brew crew alternating year after year)

Gene

UofCSoxFan
05-26-2005, 06:53 PM
You want approx 31 percent of all games to be against the National League?? The only way this would be fair would be to make both leagues have uniform rules. No way would it ever happen or be right for a team with a stud DH to be forced to sit him a third of its games.

ewokpelts
05-26-2005, 07:16 PM
You want approx 31 percent of all games to be against the National League?? The only way this would be fair would be to make both leagues have uniform rules. No way would it ever happen or be right for a team with a stud DH to be forced to sit him a third of its games.do you want yankmees and blosawks evey weekend? and sox/royals every weekend?
i dont...i actually want more variety as a st holder and sox fan...way too many games against bad teams(which hurts attendance).....
sides, the sox wont play all games in nl parks...you rotate between home and away every year(sox play giants in frisco one year, then at cell the next year)
Gene

PaleHosed
05-26-2005, 08:36 PM
You want approx 31 percent of all games to be against the National League?? The only way this would be fair would be to make both leagues have uniform rules. No way would it ever happen or be right for a team with a stud DH to be forced to sit him a third of its games.

Well the Stud DH position should be eliminated anyway. The best plan i've heard is for baseball to declare that the DH will be eliminated in say 3 years. That way all the AL teams have plenty of fair warning to figure out what they are going to do with there Stud DH and if they can't accept playing him in the field they have time to figure out how to replace his bat.

HawksBiggestFan
05-28-2005, 10:01 PM
I hate interleague play period. I love to see more games against NY, Boston, LA of Anaheim, Texas, and etc. Interleague play does not appeal me much. I can't get up for the Cubs/White Sox rivalry at all.

dcb33
05-29-2005, 02:19 AM
do you want yankmees and blosawks evey weekend? and sox/royals every weekend?
i dont...i actually want more variety as a st holder and sox fan...way too many games against bad teams(which hurts attendance).....
sides, the sox wont play all game in nl parks...you rotate between hom and away every year(sox play giants in frisco one year, then at cell the next year)
Gene

Right, because we all know the annual matchups between the Sox/Pirates, Tigers/Rockies, Rangers/Marlins, and Reds/Mariners will be huge draws for the game.

The biggest problem the schedule has now is that intraleague teams don't face each other enough. It's asinine that folks in Toronto, Tampa Bay, and Anaheim have seen all they are going to of the Sox this year. Likewise we won't get a chance to see the Rangers or Baltimore again. It takes a lot away from the game because it's more difficult to gague how teams in the same league really stack up against each other and older intraleague rivalries like the White Sox/Yankees, Giants/Braves, etc. are rendered insignificant since they play so few times.

I would much rather see the Sox take on Baltimore or Texas in Chicago or the Angels out West again than I would sit thru another overhyped Cubs/White Sox series or see the Sox t...ravel to San Diego.

FarWestChicago
05-29-2005, 02:35 AM
The biggest problem the schedule has now is that intraleague teams don't face each other enough.I agree. The interleague thing is beyond lame now. It's time has come and gone. The best fix it to eliminate it.

CallMeNuts
05-29-2005, 09:39 AM
Someone mentioned on another thread that MLB should schedule Sox/Cards and Sox/Brewers interleague games to build up natural (geographic) rivalries.

Moving the Brewers to the NL an MLB crime against the Sox. Why do the Cubs need another rival? Sox in Milwaukee weekend was a great annual road trip, and the Brewers brought fans down here, too.

I hope we go up there in 2006.

And I'd like to see the Brewers back in the AL where they belong.

Nellie_Fox
05-30-2005, 02:44 AM
darn I was looking forward to March baseball

http://www.bpl.org/store/IMGs/STMedium/tm_st10221.jpg
A sneak peek at the proposed new outdoor stadium for the Twins. Both ends of the season.

dcb33
05-30-2005, 03:16 AM
A sneak peek at the proposed new outdoor stadium for the Twins. Both ends of the season.

:boston
"I think you're greatly underestimating the power of both Justin Morneau and Joe Mauer. Both their bats and looks are so hot that they'd be able to melt all the snow within a 50 mile radius within Minneapolis. Just another reason why I think they should already be in the HOF."