PDA

View Full Version : What Happened to "We Don't Care"

seanpmurphy
05-26-2005, 11:12 AM
First of all, I'm not trying to cast the first stone or anything cause even in the past I have offered up stuff regarding media bias, but enough is enough. We've played 47 games this season and are quickly approaching the month of June and people are still shocked and upset that the media is snubbing the White Sox. I think now more than ever is when we shouldn't care. At first maybe it was susrprise that the media didn't want to cover a first place team, but now it's like why keep making threads and posts and calling attention to poorly written articles and journalism, while we're still in first and still playing great? Shouldn't retaining our hold on the AL Central be more important than what the Cubune, Marionotti, et al, have to say? I just don't understand how this is still an issue for so many people.

So the world hates us! Great. The Yankees might be the Evil Empire, but I liken the Sox to the Huns. A group that came out of no where, got no respect and were hated, and eventually destroyed everything. We don't need media attention, we don't need everyone giving us hugs and pats on the back like the loser cubs. We don't need anything except for our team to keep playing excellent baseball and as fans to continue to show Sox pride.

I would rather people keep hating us, and instead of getting upset about it, just use it as an advantage. Say we do win a Word Series, let's just say, do we really want everyone jumping on the Sox wagon and starting to write about how great we are, and have everyone love us? No. I would much rather have everyone hate us even more, and let Sox fans and Sox fans alone cherish a championship.

This is just my 2 cents, even though its more like an entire dime, on the whole media bias and media hate for the Sox. Proud Sox Fan, Proud WSIer.

voodoochile
05-26-2005, 11:15 AM
Actually, I get the impression it's more because of recent successes. I mean without the constant barrage of complaints from WSI poster and PHG and other columnists, the site has helped start to turn the tide.

Can you imagine a Frank Thomas watch in years past?

Can you imagine the Trib calling itself the Soxune and having almost an entire sports section devoted to the team?

While I personally don't care about the media coverage, it is obvious it is having an impact on the coverage the team is receiving, even if it is half tongue in cheek, the fact is the Sox coverage is on the rebound and WSI is one of the reasons why.

chaerulez
05-26-2005, 11:21 AM
I just ignore the ignorant- people like Moronotti and networks like ESPN.

Irishsox1
05-26-2005, 11:37 AM
I don't care about ESPN or talk radio or any of that stuff. The Tribune Corporation and they way they cover the Sox drives me nuts. With the petty Anit-Sox coverage and overall negativity towrds the Sox, I find it very annoying.

Palehose13
05-26-2005, 11:37 AM
I don't care and I'm kinda liking the "noboy likes us" image. :cool:

seanpmurphy
05-26-2005, 12:05 PM
Yeah I was expecting a lot of people who agree in not caring but where are all the people who make it a weekly habit of posting some article written somewhere that doesn't stroke the Sox in a fashion he or she likes? These are the people I don't understand. Do they not see the numerous threads, posts, and signatures all revolving around the fact we don't care?

The main point of my thread here was to call attention to the fact I'm just getting tired with the same old same old from people still worried about bad media, when all I've gotten is responses from people who already don't care, and shouldn't. Thanks guys.

Let's focus on the positive issues surrounding the Sox and not get hung up on bad media. Worrying about bad media is just as bad as peple who say "oh, oh, Sox attendence sucks" or something like that. It's just a lame thing to worry about, especially while we're steamrolling through this season.

Also, not trying to offend Voodoo, It is nice to see it's improving but could still care less really. What if there were a newspaper known as the Soxune? I try not to worry about "what if's" in life. Too much to dwell on cause anything could be a what if.

Iwritecode
05-26-2005, 12:22 PM
It is nice to see it's improving but could still care less really.

:o:

Is that sirens I hear in the distance?

JB98
05-26-2005, 12:37 PM
I think we've actually gotten more respect from the national media than the local press. Buerhle is on the cover of The Sporting News, and the article is complimentary of the Sox, pointing out that the quality of play on the South Side is far superior to that on the North.

The local press is too busy praying for a Cubs revival. The God-awful Rockies are in town this weekend. If the Cubs take three of four or sweep, the mediots will be giggling like school girls about the possibility of making a run at St. Louis. The only way we're going to change the fan/media culture in Chicago is to win the whole f'ing thing.

Personally, I'm not worried about what others think of the Sox or us as Sox fans. I was never one of the popular kids growing up, and even in adult life, I've enjoyed being a black sheep and going against the popular trends. If people want to look down their noses at us, then to hell with them. I'll just root for my team and hope for the last laugh.

Lip Man 1
05-26-2005, 12:42 PM
The only thing that matters is for the Sox to keep winning. Everything else is secondary.

Lip