PDA

View Full Version : Frank's return day?

mike squires
05-26-2005, 11:44 AM
I've been out of the loop for a few days so sorry if it's been discussed. What is the projected return for Frank? It would be great if it's a home series. I imagine he'll get quite an ovation.

wdelaney72
05-26-2005, 11:47 AM
I've been out of the loop for a few days so sorry if it's been discussed. What is the projected return for Frank? It would be great if it's a home series. I imagine he'll get quite an ovation.

His minor league assignment is up June 5.

kevingrt
05-26-2005, 11:57 AM

Don't worry he'll be back for the northsiders. I can't wait for him to come back though and get a huge standing ovation, it'll be AWESOME

Randar68
05-26-2005, 12:04 PM

Frank reportedly said he felt ready to join the club after last night's game in Charlotte. That said, I wouldn't be surprised to see him rejoin the team after the road trip, so that would be next Monday IIRC (May 30th)

Deadguy
05-26-2005, 12:04 PM

No one knows for sure. KW has said he wants to see Thomas hit in person before making the decision as to whether or not he should be brought up. Thomas says he can handle things like running from 1st to 3rd, and scoring from 2nd to home on a single, but he probably needs a few more PAs in AAA, considering the fact that he's not exactly tearing the cover off the ball right now.

He might be back before the 20 days are up, but if he stays with the Knights through the 5th, they might not add him to the roster on June 6th, since they will be playing road interleague games, and Thomas is not going to play 1st base. Relegating him to pinch hitting duties seems rather pointless, since Carl can take care of that, and just one PA every game isn't going to keep him on track.

SaltyPretzel
05-26-2005, 12:13 PM
My guess would be June 13th at home against Arizona after the Interleague games at the National League parks are done.

voodoochile
05-26-2005, 12:18 PM
My guess would be June 13th at home against Arizona after the Interleague games at the National League parks are done.

Calling him up before then doesn't make much sense as he will be forced to sit for a week save PH duties. Now it wouldn't be a bad thing to have Frank's bat on the bench at the least he could be a decoy to force the team to think about bringing in LH relievers. :D:

Still, he can't stay in AAA past 6/6, so I guess he joins the team.

mikehuff
05-26-2005, 12:21 PM
Frank's pretty much going through spring training right now, so he should stay down there to get his at-bats in.
That interleague crap screws everything up for him. Just when he comes back he will have to sit on the bench for 6 games and 1 off day before he can get into a regular lineup and have multiple at bats. He'll probably get some pinch hits, but the timing just works out bad.
Can he go back to the minors for that one more week, to keep hitting?

Baby Fisk
05-26-2005, 12:22 PM
Now it wouldn't be a bad thing to have Frank's bat on the bench at the least he could be a decoy to force the team to think about bringing in LH relievers. :D:

IIRC, that whole "decoy" issue provoked a lengthy and hilarious brawl thread here last year. Man, that was nuts.

krohnjw
05-26-2005, 12:37 PM
Frank reportedly said he felt ready to join the club after last night's game in Charlotte. That said, I wouldn't be surprised to see him rejoin the team after the road trip, so that would be next Monday IIRC (May 30th)

Having been at the game last night, Frank doesn't look exactly ready to come up. He isn't hitting the ball terribly well (1-4 with a single and he just missed a HR ball). He also seemed to have a bit of a limp coming off of the field in the 8th after getting his single.

I would rather have him take some more swings at AAA before coming up and have him ready to go. He seems to be taking pitches well, but isn't making the best contact with the ball.

Randar68
05-26-2005, 12:42 PM
I would rather have him take some more swings at AAA before coming up and have him ready to go. He seems to be taking pitches well, but isn't making the best contact with the ball.

Yet in a couple of previous games he hit the ball hard all over the field in every plate appearance... Tough to go off one game.

Kenny was reportedly heading out to see Frank play this weekend before making a decision.

RKMeibalane
05-26-2005, 12:44 PM
Calling him up before then doesn't make much sense as he will be forced to sit for a week save PH duties. Now it wouldn't be a bad thing to have Frank's bat on the bench at the least he could be a decoy to force the team to think about bringing in LH relievers. :D:

Still, he can't stay in AAA past 6/6, so I guess he joins the team.

They don't have to officially activate him once his rehab stint is complete. I would imagine that they'll probably just have him go back to Chicago and wait for the Sox to return home.

RKMeibalane
05-26-2005, 12:46 PM
Yet in a couple of previous games he hit the ball hard all over the field in every plate appearance... Tough to go off one game.

Kenny was reportedly heading out to see Frank play this weekend before making a decision.

His numbers aren't any good, but like you said, he seems to be swinging the bat well. Frank himself said that he was more focused on just getting used to playing again rather than getting hits. It seems like he's been spending most of his time working on specific things (i.e. hitting the ball to RF), rather than improving his batting average.

RKMeibalane
05-26-2005, 12:47 PM
IIRC, that whole "decoy" issue provoked a lengthy and hilarious brawl thread here last year. Man, that was nuts.

That was a wild weekend. PHG was pissed at KW and the Frank-haters. For the next two months, he kept referring to Williams as KDW or Kenny "Decoy" Williams.

Palehose13
05-26-2005, 12:48 PM
Having been at the game last night, Frank doesn't look exactly ready to come up. He isn't hitting the ball terribly well (1-4 with a single and he just missed a HR ball). He also seemed to have a bit of a limp coming off of the field in the 8th after getting his single.

You just want him to stay down there so you can watch him in person. :wink:

RKMeibalane
05-26-2005, 12:50 PM
You just want him to stay down there so you can watch him in person. :wink:

I wouldn't mind that. The Knights are supposed to be in Indy next week. I'd love to go and see him before he rejoins the Sox.

Baby Fisk
05-26-2005, 01:03 PM
The infamous Decoy Thread. (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=36809&page=1&pp=15&highlight=decoy+frank)

There were likely other threads on the same subject, as things were so heated at the time.

krohnjw
05-26-2005, 01:05 PM
You just want him to stay down there so you can watch him in person.

Ssssh :rolleyes: . I will head down hopefully next Wed to see him 1 more time.

I would rather he come up ready to help this offense out (which is going through a seeming feast or famine or sorts), but don't think he should be up if he's going to continue to hit .240 (although that is better than some of our regulars). He isn't taking many pitches at AAA, but if he is focusing on just hitting the ball, then that is understandable. Hopefully he will find that power stroke soon and make more solid contact. He is hitting the ball hard, but seems to be just missing pitches he should be putting out. As much as I like to watch Frank in Charlotte, I would rather have him up helping the sox wrap up the division :smile:

nasox
05-26-2005, 01:06 PM
IIRC, KW is going to evaluate him, and then we will see what stems from that.

EDIT: My post number 1111!

Palehose13
05-26-2005, 01:11 PM
Ssssh :rolleyes: . I will head down hopefully next Wed to see him 1 more time.

I would rather he come up ready to help this offense out (which is going through a seeming feast or famine or sorts), but don't think he should be up if he's going to continue to hit .240 (although that is better than some of our regulars). He isn't taking many pitches at AAA, but if he is focusing on just hitting the ball, then that is understandable. Hopefully he will find that power stroke soon and make more solid contact. He is hitting the ball hard, but seems to be just missing pitches he should be putting out. As much as I like to watch Frank in Charlotte, I would rather have him up helping the sox wrap up the division :smile:

I know, silly...that why the post was in teal! :wink:

krohnjw
05-26-2005, 01:15 PM
I know, I should have quoted the teal :tongue:

But I do want to see more of Frank while I can :wink:

Fake Chet Lemon
05-26-2005, 02:15 PM
I'd like to see Frank display some power before he gets back, no HRs yet. If he is compensating in any way for his ankle, it could be affecting his power stroke. I'd rather he work through that in the minors.

SoxFan928
05-26-2005, 02:18 PM
I can't wait for Frank to get back. Our lineup really needs his bat.

My sister (huge Frank fan) is all down in the dumps about him not playing. "He didn't play for two whole years and he'll never play again!" :(: ...... (even though she knows that's not true).

Also, we have Ozzie Plan tickets for 5/31 and 6/5, and I'd like to know if any of you had an idea whether or not he'd be activated before either game.

RKMeibalane
05-26-2005, 03:33 PM
I'd like to see Frank display some power before he gets back, no HRs yet. If he is compensating in any way for his ankle, it could be affecting his power stroke. I'd rather he work through that in the minors.

I don't think he is. Based on what he's told reporters, the whole purpose of his rehab stint was just to get used to the routine of playing again. Frank said that he wasn't concerned with driving in runs or hitting for average. It's important to remember that Frank usually doesn't hit for much power during Spring Training, and this rehab stint is a lot like ST for him. I think he only had one or two home runs in Tuscon in 2004.

RockyMtnSoxFan
05-26-2005, 04:00 PM
I know that it's not necessarily the best thing for Frank to come up before the interleague series, but I'm going to be Coors June 6-8, and I would love to see him. :D:

Still, I agree, do what's best for Frank and the team.

RockyMtnSoxFan
05-26-2005, 04:02 PM
Speaking of which, go Rockies! They lead the Cubs 3-1.

Iron Dragon
05-26-2005, 05:05 PM
My family and I are making the trip to Chicago on June 4th for our 1st game this year and my kiddo's birthday (3). Bring Frank up June 3rd!

guillen4life13
05-26-2005, 08:24 PM
I'm going to the 6/14 game against the D-Backs at the Cell. I'm thinking that will be his second day back.

My guess is that he'll finish his assignment, and then come up, travel with the team and work out with them but not be on the roster until the homestand, where he can reassume the DH role.

voodoochile
05-26-2005, 08:50 PM
They don't have to officially activate him once his rehab stint is complete. I would imagine that they'll probably just have him go back to Chicago and wait for the Sox to return home.

This strikes me as a bad idea. Isn't the point to get him in game shape? So after he is ready to go, they will tell him to sit for week and get rusty?

Can he continue to play in AAA after the 6th or would that require he go through waivers?

RKMeibalane
05-26-2005, 08:52 PM
This strikes me as a bad idea. Isn't the point to get him in game shape? So after he is ready to go, they will tell him to sit for week and get rusty?

Can he continue to play in AAA after the 6th or would that require he go through waivers?

Since he's out of options, I think he can play at AAA as long as he's willing to stay down there. It's my understanding that a Major League player who is sent down to the minors or remains there beyond the rehab period must agree to be part of the Triple-A team. That's why the Yankees couldn't force Giambi to go to Columbus. I could be mistaken, though.