PDA

View Full Version : As if the Royals aren't bad enough

cleanwsox
05-26-2005, 10:57 AM
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-050525manuelbrite,1,4901763.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

One of the four finalists for their vacant manager postion is Jerry Manuel. :redneck

I_Liked_Manuel
05-26-2005, 11:02 AM
come on man, back off jerry

ondafarm
05-26-2005, 11:05 AM
I hope he gets it. It'll show how much better Ozzie is than Jerry ever could be.

RKMeibalane
05-26-2005, 11:22 AM
I hope he gets it. It'll show how much better Ozzie is than Jerry ever could be.

I also hope he gets it, so that the Sox can benefit from his tinkering rather than losing because of it.

1951Campbell
05-26-2005, 12:02 PM
I also hope he gets it, so that the Sox can benefit from his tinkering rather than losing because of it.

If Jerry gets it, the first time the Sox play the Royals, all the "Guillen and Manuel: A Study In Contrasts" stories will be funny.

Tekijawa
05-26-2005, 12:14 PM
Wow poor fans! I can't imagine going to watch the Royals play Jerry-Ball... they're borring enough! Once the trade deadline hits and Sweeney is gone there will be no reason for anyone to attend any of their games!

pudge
05-26-2005, 12:25 PM
I think this could be bad, because the one team Jerry would get his team fired up to play would be the Sox. I'd rather have the Royals in a coma the rest of the season.

fquaye149
05-26-2005, 12:25 PM
oh man! think of all the tinkering possibilities with only one set lineup spot (sweeney)

cleanwsox
05-26-2005, 12:40 PM
oh man! think of all the tinkering possibilities with only one set lineup spot (sweeney)

:firejerry

maybe we can give this to the KC fans with a blue background.

TDog
05-26-2005, 12:49 PM
The Royals and White Sox have almost exact opposite records. Fate could have saddle them with managerial opposites. It would seem to balance the universe.

No matter who the Royals do, they will lose a lot of games this year, certainly a lot more than they will win. With JM, at least, they would lose with dignity.

tlebar318
05-26-2005, 12:59 PM
I swear I saw something yesterday that said Gene Lamont was a finalist as well on ESPN....

34 Inch Stick
05-26-2005, 01:18 PM
As I recall, Manuel took a young team that nobody gave a chance to the playoffs in 2000 and was named manager of the year.

I realize the problems post 2000 but he managed a team that far exceeded expectations. It was not a matter of that team winning in spite of his presence. The guy does deserve some respect.

ondafarm
05-26-2005, 01:18 PM
Wow poor fans! I can't imagine going to watch the Royals play Jerry-Ball... they're borring enough! Once the trade deadline hits and Sweeney is gone there will be no reason for anyone to attend any of their games!

They could go to see a pretty good baseball team play (at least when the Twins, Tigers or Indians are in town) or a very good baseball team (the White Sox.)

SOXfnNlansing
05-26-2005, 01:20 PM
http://www.suntimes.com/output/couch/cst-spt-greg26.html here's an article about Terry Bevington bringing his minor non affiliated club to Gary this week.

veeter
05-26-2005, 01:22 PM
One reason they gave that he's a candidate, is his ability to manage young, inexperienced players. Yea, he was so patient and supportive of Jon Garland. I've always thought that the Sox won in spite of Manuel and lost because of Manuel.

ondafarm
05-26-2005, 01:33 PM
One reason they gave that he's a candidate, is his ability to manage young, inexperienced players. Yea, he was so patient and supportive of Jon Garland. I've always thought that the Sox won in spite of Manuel and lost because of Manuel.

I think Jerry Manuel could manage the 1927 Yankees to a second place finish.

Lip Man 1
05-26-2005, 01:40 PM
Actually it's a perfect match. No one goes to see the Royals so Gandhi can sleep undisturbed in the dugout during games both home and away!

Lip

The Racehorse
05-26-2005, 02:36 PM
Actually it's a perfect match. No one goes to see the Royals so Gandhi can sleep undisturbed in the dugout during games both home and away!

Lip

... and if the Royals ever match up against the Nationals, Jerry Manuel and Frank Robinson could have a snooze-a-thon. :kneeslap:

hawkjt
05-26-2005, 02:53 PM
I am sick of turncoats that were probably praising Manuel as manager of the year in 2000 now turning on him like all the injuries to Wells,Frank,Eldred,Baldwin,Parque, ect were all his fault.

Loyalty? Many sox fans have no clue.

Did he ever have a losing team? No- Did he win more games in 03 than Ozzie did in 04? Yes

Is he a scapegoat for all the things that went wrong? yes - and that is totally unfair.

RKMeibalane
05-26-2005, 03:46 PM
I am sick of turncoats that were probably praising Manuel as manager of the year in 2000 now turning on him like all the injuries to Wells,Frank,Eldred,Baldwin,Parque, ect were all his fault.

Did he ever have a losing team? No- Did he win more games in 03 than Ozzie did in 04? Yes

Is he a scapegoat for all the things that went wrong? yes - and that is totally unfair.

As I recall, the White had a losing record in 1998 and 1999. In both cases, Jerry Manuel was the manager. And, for the record, the reason most people dislike Manuel has nothing to do with player injuries. People were upset with him because the way he handled this team. When he wasn't tinkering with the lineup every day, he was trying to provoke Frank Thomas into another fight. When he wasn't badmouthing Frank, he kept giving playing time to mediocre players (Royce Clayton, Todd Ritchie, Julio Ramirez) who weren't helping the team win. The rest of the time, Manuel was in the dugout sleeping.

Jerry Manuel is known throughout baseball as being an extremely nice man and someone who enjoys the game of baseball. However, he wasn't a good manager. That's why people here don't like him.

ondafarm
05-26-2005, 03:51 PM

New around here?

Jerry Manuel showed that any bonehead can get to the major leagues and manage.

He deserves all of the grief he gets because he didn't manage very well at all.

Turncoat? I said the same thing about him in 2000 (although not on WSI because I wasn't a member yet.)

Loyalty? Sox fan since birth. I have photographic evidence (Nellie Fox visiting me and my mom on the day I was born.) [user edit: isn't that "my mom and I"?]

veeter
05-26-2005, 04:53 PM
Manuel did a great job of making sure the Sox were floundering and unsure when entering the playoffs in 2000. The one thing I liked about Manuel was that it was clear he wanted to kill the Cubs. Other than that the guy IMO is a closet jerk.

Fenway
05-26-2005, 05:10 PM
meanwhile Grady Little is the Cubs minor league roving catching instructor :?:

Has any manager fallen so far so fast?

http://sportsmed.starwave.com/i/magazine/new/031027_little.jpghttp://bostondirtdogs.boston.com/Headline_Archives/PM_DV.jpg

SoxSpeed22
05-26-2005, 05:27 PM
meanwhile Grady Little is the Cubs minor league roving catching instructor :?:

Has any manager fallen so far so fast?

http://sportsmed.starwave.com/i/magazine/new/031027_little.jpgThere's also talk about him becoming manager of the Cubs after Dusty leaves. I wouldn't mind seeing Manuel manage KC. I don't have anything against him, but I'm glad we have Ozzie.

Fenway
05-26-2005, 05:34 PM
There's also talk about him becoming manager of the Cubs after Dusty leaves. I wouldn't mind seeing Manuel manage KC. I don't have anything against him, but I'm glad we have Ozzie.

Grady Little took a hard fall considering he won 194 games as manager in 2 years (including playoffs)

Zimmer wound up with the Cubs so why not Grady. He deserves another shot.

rowand33
05-26-2005, 07:05 PM
I hope Manuel gets it.

I like to see ex-Sox succeed (except for Mags).

Lip Man 1
05-26-2005, 08:36 PM
Ummm... Hawkjt.

The Sox had losing records in both 1998 and 1999. They were atrocious in 98 until mid August when they went crazy hot to finish within a few games of .500.

The Sox were exactly at .500 in 2002.

The Sox had a two game lead, with the best talent in the division over the Twins in 2003 with 15 to play and blew up.

THAT's Jerry Manuel.

Mister stupid comments, like the first half is for 'playing everybody' (?), for unnecessary 'tinkering' with lineups, for goofy pitching decisions (Neal Cotts / Yankee Stadium remember???)

Manager Gandhi was horsedung, almost as bad as Bevington... but hey he worked cheap and kissed owenrship's ass in thanks for having a job.

Lip

BigEdWalsh
05-26-2005, 08:49 PM
KC deserves Manuel.
I just noticed the Royals lineup tonight. You're pretty bad when you have Tony Graffanino batting 5th.

RKMeibalane
05-26-2005, 09:00 PM
KC deserves Manuel.
I just noticed the Royals lineup tonight. You're pretty bad when you have Tony Graffanino batting 5th.

Maybe Manuel is already there. That seems like something he would do. On a sidenote, Mike Sweeney has stated that he prefers playing 1B, as opposed to DH. I can already see what's going to happen.

:jerry

"I can't imagine any reason short of an emergency for playing Mike at 1B."

:hurt

"I'm so glad he isn't here anymore."

:ohno

"Not as glad as we are."