PDA

View Full Version : Thomas and a designated runner

Moses_Scurry
05-26-2005, 08:10 AM
After reading Chris De Luca's sun times article, I had a thought. Would it be at all feasable for the Sox to bring up a speedster along with Frank whose sole purpose would be to pinch run in the late innings? Do they have anyone in the minors, even if its a career journeyman, who could fill that role for a month or so? They could send down Timo and Vizcaino or something. Just a thought.

wdelaney72
05-26-2005, 08:17 AM
His name is Willie Harris.

duke of dorwood
05-26-2005, 08:21 AM
I dont consider Harris a "speedster"-he does not have the instincts

Jurr
05-26-2005, 08:36 AM
Yeah..you have Ozuna and Willie. Those are our pinch runners.

PicktoCLick72
05-26-2005, 08:41 AM
The sox do not have room on the 25 man roster whose sole purpose is designated pinch runner.

itsnotrequired
05-26-2005, 08:41 AM
I dont consider Harris a "speedster"-he does not have the instincts

Harris doesn't need the "instincts" in those situations. All he has to be is faster than Frank.

RKMeibalane
05-26-2005, 09:07 AM
After reading Chris De Luca's sun times article, I had a thought. Would it be at all feasable for the Sox to bring up a speedster along with Frank whose sole purpose would be to pinch run in the late innings? Do they have anyone in the minors, even if its a career journeyman, who could fill that role for a month or so? They could send down Timo and Vizcaino or something. Just a thought.

Willie Harris is the with the ballclub.

voodoochile
05-26-2005, 09:34 AM
In any game close enough to want a PR, why would you want to remove Frank's bat from the lineup?

RKMeibalane
05-26-2005, 09:37 AM
In any game close enough to want a PR, why would you want to remove Frank's bat from the lineup?

I agree with you, but I think that initially, Frank needs to be eased back into the routine. OTOH, if he comes back and goes 5-5 in his first game, there's no way Ozzie takes him out. :cool:

ChicagoHoosier
05-26-2005, 09:46 AM
Bottom of 9th, no out, Frank gets walked to lead off the inning, tie ballgame...

skottyj242
05-26-2005, 09:49 AM
I agree with you, but I think that initially, Frank needs to be eased back into the routine. OTOH, if he comes back and goes 5-5 in his first game, there's no way Ozzie takes him out. :cool:

What do you mean if he goes 5 for 5?

voodoochile
05-26-2005, 10:02 AM
Bottom of 9th, no out, Frank gets walked to lead off the inning, tie ballgame...

still not sure it's a good idea. If the Sox don't score, you are going to have Willie Harris as your DH.

Malgar 12
05-26-2005, 10:11 AM

To score the winning run of course. It is, like many other aspects of baseball, a calculated risk.

RKMeibalane
05-26-2005, 10:19 AM
What do you mean if he goes 5 for 5?

I'm saying that if Frank comes out of the gate on fire, I would be hesitant to sit him, even in a close-game situation. His bat is too valuable to have on the bench, because the Sox don't have any other hitters who combine OBP and power.

wdelaney72
05-26-2005, 10:49 AM
still not sure it's a good idea. If the Sox don't score, you are going to have Willie Harris as your DH.

True, but there are worse things than Willie as DH. Uribe (aka Royce Clayton) will still likely be in the lineup.

mantis1212
05-26-2005, 11:03 AM

That's why it's so great that we have Carl and Dye!

daveeym
05-26-2005, 11:19 AM
Frank Thomas + Thread = Freakazoids :gulp: :gulp: :gulp: Seriously the most absurd statments are made in these threads from both sides of the aisle. :cool:

Moses_Scurry
05-26-2005, 01:24 PM
I'm not saying that they should do this as a permanent thing. It would just be until the confidence is there that Frank could run from 1st to 3rd on a single in the bottom of 9th without aggravating his ankle. I guess willie could do it.

DaleJRFan
05-26-2005, 01:36 PM
Yeah..you have Ozuna and Willie. Those are our pinch runners.

Gload runs very well, too. Don't know his status yet though... hopefully he returns soon. We miss him.

DickAllen72
05-26-2005, 04:41 PM

Carl comes in to run for Frank. He's no speed demon, but he runs well enough. If the Sox score, game over. If not, Carl is the DH in extra innings.

Also, Carl can run for Frank in the seventh inning or so. Maybe in the bottom of the ninth scenario you brought up you use Harris or Ozuna, then if need be in extra innings, Carl pinch hits for the DH.

There are many options. Just hope that we keep both the speedy and versatile IF/OFers Willie & Ozuna instead of the slow OF only Timo when Frank comes back.