PDA

View Full Version : Sox Fans/Announcers Driving Other Fans Nuts

mikehuff
05-26-2005, 08:58 AM
Check out this thread on the Angels board about how they hate Hawk's slogans.
I will occasionally check out another team's board and I see this a lot.

http://www.forums.mlb.com/n/mb/message.asp?webtag=ml-angels&msg=42388.1&ctx=0

Here's one quote...

"They are the most annoying announcers in the game. The worst thing I've heard from them is the other day after Konerko hit a home run and they said "2- nothing, good guys." Good Guys, yeah like they're the good guys, just go back to when they threw the world series and I'm sure nobody would consider that team good guys. I mean how arrogant and naive to think that everyone listening to their broadcast are White Sox fans. It made me physically ill."

doublem23
05-26-2005, 09:03 AM
It amazes me how much Hawk Harrelson gets under people's skin. One of my roomates hates him, and whenever I watch the Sox game in the frontroom, he just complains about the "good guys" and "he gone!", bla bla bla...

http://www.btinternet.com/%7Efireballxl5/transtech/objects/mutebutton_small.jpg

Not rocket science, boys and girls. :rolleyes:

Go Hawk! :Rocker:

By the way, I find it comical that a fan of a team that is obsessed with "the Ralley Monkey" would have the cajones to call another team's announcer annoying.

mikehuff
05-26-2005, 09:04 AM
The Twins board has been filled with this stuff this year. It's great because the Sox are seriously driving everyone nuts! They're obviously not "America's Team."
It's great to have the black sheep of baseball go around from city to city and kick everyone's ass.

From the Twins board...
"WHITE SOX WILL FIND A WAY TO LOSE THE DIVISION!" -- You can put it on the board. I can't wait to hear Ken Harrelson call another second place finish for "the good guys."

Jerko
05-26-2005, 09:07 AM
What are the Angel fans bitching about? Hawk isn't even doing these games. As for the Twin fans, well, we can't all be Bert Blyleven. :angry:

Baby Fisk
05-26-2005, 09:08 AM
I'm sooooo resentful of those lucky Angels fans. I wish we had Rex Hudler and Steve Physioc.

Palehose13
05-26-2005, 09:11 AM
Meeeeh..sour grapes. I'm sure after they won the first game of the series they thought that the Angels were gonna bring our guys "back down to Earth". Besides, I had to hear the Angels broadcasters last night. They literally put me to sleep. I guess Angel fans aren't used to a little excitement when they watch baseball.

downstairs
05-26-2005, 09:12 AM
Well... to each their own, I could care less.

But I happen to love over-excited, completely biased announcers... even if they're working for a rival of the Sox.

There are too few out there... every local announcer nowadays is working to try to get a network job. So they can't get too crazy or "into it".

What the heck are people expecting?

Hitmen77
05-26-2005, 09:14 AM
IIRC, Harry Caray used to say "Good guys" 2, opponents 0. Funny how it's not annoying to everybody when a Cubs legend says this.

Anyway, isn't Hawk broadcasting to the Chicago audience? If Angel fans don't like it, why don't they listen to their own broadcasters.

Remember back in the early 90s when Kent Hrbek was complaining about Hawk's saying "grab some bench"! What a crybaby!

mikehuff
05-26-2005, 09:16 AM
It's not just the announcers, it's the Sox when they come in to town. They are frustrating everybody.

It's funny because it's not like we're the Yankees who win every year and outspend everybody. Normally I love the underdog teams year to year. It's different for the Sox though. Maybe it's just because the opponents fans are frustrated, but they seem to hate us.
What does anyone else hear about the Sox outside of Chicago? Positive or Negative?

bayzbol44
05-26-2005, 09:18 AM
The Angels fans are right...Hawk should BE GONE.

rwcescato
05-26-2005, 09:25 AM

Hawk is not even doing the broadcast. Its DJ and the pope. I don't know what they are talking about. They must be EL LOCO.

mikehuff
05-26-2005, 09:50 AM
Hawk is not even doing the broadcast. Its DJ and the pope. I don't know what they are talking about. They must be EL LOCO.
No the post wasn't about Hawk doing the games. It was about two Sox fans in Angels Stadium doing Hawkisms and pissing of an Angels fans. Then they started discussing how much they hate the Sox announcers.
I posted this because that comes up on a lot of other boards. People seem to hate Hawk.

I just saw this other thread on this board on the same subject.
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50936

SSN721
05-26-2005, 10:11 AM
If they dont like it, turn on the radio, get MLB TV or Radio and listen to their own braodcasters. Hawk is a homer, but gets pissed when the team is doing bad just like we do. I know he is probably hated as much by 50% of the people that post here as he is by Cub fans, other teams fans, but personally I love him to death. And as stated, it was DJ and The Pope (which sounds like an awesome bad 70s TV show), so they can just stick it. Hawks our boy and bleeds silver and black, I wouldnt want it any other way.

mikehuff
05-26-2005, 10:42 AM
Hawk is a homer, but gets pissed when the team is doing bad just like we do. ... but personally I love him to death.

I agree 100% about Hawk. I love him.

JoseCanseco6969
05-26-2005, 11:40 AM
I think we might need a stuck thread to report all the other teams who bitch and moan about our announcers! Very very comical indeed. Keep up the good work hawk! (Even though you arent with the team on the trip)

seanpmurphy
05-26-2005, 11:51 AM

:dtroll:

Hawk is awesome. 'nuff said.

EDIT: I yelled "he Gone" after Patterson struck out last night and the looks I got from surrounding fans was priceless. :whiner: Ha

Baby Fisk
05-26-2005, 11:54 AM
EDIT: I yelled "he Gone" after Patterson struck out last night and the looks I got from surrounding fans was priceless. :whiner: Ha
...but you weren't there to instigate. Ha, J/K. :cool:

TheOldRoman
05-26-2005, 12:02 PM
"They are the most annoying announcers in the game. The worst thing I've heard from them is the other day after Konerko hit a home run and they said "2- nothing, good guys." Good Guys, yeah like they're the good guys, just go back to when they threw the world series and I'm sure nobody would consider that team good guys. I mean how arrogant and naive to think that everyone listening to their broadcast are White Sox fans. It made me physically ill."

I know that is from the Angels' board, but that quote could not have come from anyone other than a Cubs fan. I guess they are trolling the Angels boards too.

TDog
05-26-2005, 12:06 PM
I don't particularly like Ken Harrelson, but I see nothing wrong with a local announcer being a homer. In Chicago, a local announcer pretty much has to be.

Here's an update for people, such as those at the link, who seem to hate the White Sox because of what they've read about the 1919 World Series.

The players banned for conspiring to throw the series: all dead.

The owner of the team they played for: dead.

The commissioner who banned them, and later banned the pitcher who won two game for the White Sox in 1919: dead.

The attorneys who prosecuted them: all dead.

The jurors who acquitted them: all dead.

The stadium where the team played: a parking lot.

An early Cubs great was one of the leaders in keeping black players out of the major leagues, and now the team is on its second black manager. Seems like all is forgiven. Whether you believe Buck Weaver was one of the great tragic figures in sports and died for our sins or you believe he rots in hell, the Black Sox scandal, too, is ancient history.

Uncle_Patrick
05-26-2005, 12:17 PM
It amazes me how much Hawk Harrelson gets under people's skin.

That's the thing I like best about Hawk. I don't think he's a particularly great announcer, but he drives fans of other teams absolutely crazy. If you ask a Sox fan what they think about Santo, they'll probably tell you "yeah, he sucks, he's an idiot", but ask a die-hard Cubs fan about Hawk and they get nuts about how he's the worst broadcaster ever, his one-liners suck, he's a hillbilly, blah, blah, blah. Its funny as hell to me that people get so worked up about Hawk. It seems like after every series, there is a posting on the Sox MLB board from fans of whoever the Sox just played, complaining about the Sox announcers.

C-Dawg
05-26-2005, 12:24 PM
that quote could not have come from anyone other than a Cubs fan.

I've said it before but I still believe it: Had the Cubs hired Harrelson instead of Bob Brenly and the other guy, the Hawk eventually would have become as beloved amongst Cub fans as Harry. They would erect a statue of him outside Wrigley Field after his death, and all his phrases such as "He Gone!" would become ingrained amongst the faithful as Cub lore.

Hangar18
05-26-2005, 12:26 PM
No the post wasn't about Hawk doing the games. It was about two Sox fans in Angels Stadium doing Hawkisms and pissing of an Angels fans. Then they started discussing how much they hate the Sox announcers.
I posted this because that comes up on a lot of other boards. People seem to hate Hawk.

I just saw this other thread on this board on the same subject.
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50936

If Hawk were a Cub announcer, the Chicago Media would refer to him daily as
"legendary cubs voice" Hawk Harrellson. Theyd talk every single day about what a great announcer he is, how great that hes put so many "hawk-isms"
into the baseball /cub jargon. He isnt though. So Santos the next best thing.

LongLiveFisk
05-26-2005, 12:27 PM
I'll never forget last season (or the season before?) when a Sox-Yankees game was on WGN and I happened to check out the Red Sox fan forum. A lot of them thought it was hilarious and one even said, "These guys crack me up!" everytime Hawk did a "you can put it on the boad...yes!" since it was against the hated Yankees but funny how when the Sox played the Red Sox these same people were irritated and downright pissed by it. What hypocrites!!

It's not a secret that Hawk is a homer. Stop with the :whiner: and turn down the volume if you can't handle it.

Hangar18
05-26-2005, 12:32 PM
That's the thing I like best about Hawk. I don't think he's a particularly great announcer, but he drives fans of other teams absolutely crazy. If you ask a Sox fan what they think about Santo, they'll probably tell you "yeah, he sucks, he's an idiot", but ask a die-hard Cubs fan about Hawk and they get nuts about how he's the worst broadcaster ever, his one-liners suck, he's a hillbilly, blah, blah, blah. Its funny as hell to me that people get so worked up about Hawk. It seems like after every series, there is a posting on the Sox MLB board from fans of whoever the Sox just played, complaining about the Sox announcers.

Hawk is really that good, and that memorable ...... Cub fans are EXTREMELY jealous. Think about it. Their most "beloved" and most "memorable" announcer was HARRY CARAY, who was a SOX announcer. His 7th Inning Stretch was something that began on the South Side. They dont have anything to call their own. Jack Brickhouse? maybe, but he PALES greatly in comparison to the White SOX' Harry Caray. Heck, they hurried to build a statue.

Over By There
05-26-2005, 12:41 PM
As long as people are complaining, it means things are going well for the Sox.

White Sox Baseball: Getting Under Your Skin

I love watching the world feeling uncomfortable about the Sox having success.

mikehuff
05-26-2005, 12:43 PM
They dont have anything to call their own. Jack Brickhouse? maybe,
I'm not that old, but didn't Brickhouse do some Sox games too?

Uncle_Patrick
05-26-2005, 12:45 PM
It shocks me how much "He Gone!" bothers people. I barely notice it. Other fans get so mad about it, though.

If Hawk broadcast for the Cubs, they'd sell "He Gone!" shirts outside the park. I love the way Cubs fans deny it, but the guy would be a Chicago icon.

Of course, then we'd all hate him.:D:

MrRoboto83
05-26-2005, 12:56 PM
[QUOTE=

QUOTE]

This should be our new slogan for this year!!

skobabe8
05-26-2005, 01:14 PM
Anytime you listen to a game with the other teams announcers, you're going to end up hating those announcers. Its just natural.

And I agree with the Angels fan, it was wrong to say "2-0 good guys" after Konerko's home run. What should have been said was "3-0 good guys." :supernana:

ondafarm
05-26-2005, 01:27 PM
I don't think Hawk Harrelson is one of baseball's great announcers.

And I think he stunk as a GM.

I don't know how he was as a player.

But he does a good job for the White Sox broadcasts. He clearly is a homer, a fan of this team which I think is great. As for his "Put it on the board . . . Yes" and his "He . . . gawn" I think they're great. I'm so glad he stopped talking about 'the Carmines' and has gotten around to a better attitude about the umpires. {Most of the time, they work their tails off in a thankless job. Sometimes, they blow a call. Occasionally, [Hunter Wendelstat] they stink.}

Lip Man 1
05-26-2005, 01:50 PM
It's a myth that Brickhouse was nothing but a Cubs fan. Listen to some of his reactions to the Sox plays in WSI's audio vault.

It was Brickhouse who warned the Sox in a meeting in 1968 NOT to go to WFLD-TV that it would hurt them tremendously.

Brickhouse did Sox TV from 1948 through 1967 and also did radio with Bob Elson in 1945.

Lip

maurice
05-26-2005, 02:03 PM
I'm not a fan of Sox announcers not named Rooney, but it's ridiculous for an Angels fan to accuse the Sox announcers of being homers. ESPN2 ran the Angels' feed during the 9th inning, and it could have been Hawk in Angel's gear. Every weak-ass popup was "he just missed it," and every crappy hitter was "coming around" and "hitting the ball hard." It's the way of the world.

C-Dawg
05-26-2005, 02:44 PM
I'm not old enough to remember Brickhouse as a Sox announcer, but growing up I always considered Brick to be "old and stuffy" on the Cubs' games compared to the much more interesting and lively Harry and Jimmy on the Sox.

TommyJohn
05-26-2005, 04:32 PM
I don't particularly like Ken Harrelson, but I see nothing wrong with a local announcer being a homer. In Chicago, a local announcer pretty much has to be.

Here's an update for people, such as those at the link, who seem to hate the White Sox because of what they've read about the 1919 World Series.

The players banned for conspiring to throw the series: all dead.

The owner of the team they played for: dead.

The commissioner who banned them, and later banned the pitcher who won two game for the White Sox in 1919: dead.

The attorneys who prosecuted them: all dead.

The jurors who acquitted them: all dead.

The stadium where the team played: a parking lot.

An early Cubs great was one of the leaders in keeping black players out of the major leagues, and now the team is on its second black manager. Seems like all is forgiven. Whether you believe Buck Weaver was one of the great tragic figures in sports and died for our sins or you believe he rots in hell, the Black Sox scandal, too, is ancient history.

Very well written. Couldn't have put it better myself.

pickingleaves20
05-26-2005, 06:52 PM
They obviously can't complain about our team, so they pick something else.

TDog
05-26-2005, 10:20 PM
I'm not old enough to remember Brickhouse as a Sox announcer, but growing up I always considered Brick to be "old and stuffy" on the Cubs' games compared to the much more interesting and lively Harry and Jimmy on the Sox.

You're not old enough to remember Bob Elson, then. I used to fall asleep to him when I was a kid. Often during day games.

gaelhound
05-27-2005, 07:33 PM
[QUOTE=

QUOTE]

This should be our new slogan for this year!!
I guess SI said our team monicker was too dull to be loved. We could change from the White Sox to the "Chiggers" to go with the under your skin theme!

elrod
05-27-2005, 07:56 PM
If I didn't love the Sox I'd hate Hawk Harrelson. That said, there are a few things I still don't like. The "Good Guys" think is just cheesy. "He just missed it" is lame. "Mercy" is great. "He gone" is beautiful. "You can put in the board...YES" is just strange. Reminding everybody that he's been in baseball for six decades is annoying. Most other things about him I like, though.

Nellie_Fox
05-28-2005, 02:12 AM
Oh, fer cryin' out loud. I constantly hear Minnesota sports guys refer to the Twins as "the good guys." I'll bet it happens in every single market. If that's all they have to complain about, life is very good.

Who in the world would want an announcer for their team who tried to remain neutral? Of course you want your announcer to be a fan of your team. Did Brickhouse ever yell "hey hey" when a player on the other team hit a home run? Of course not.

Nellie_Fox
05-28-2005, 02:19 AM
Even Tony Riali (New York Yankee slobberer) on "Around the Horn" has started to say "he gawn" before jettisoning a sportswriter. And boy, does it ever piss off Mariotti.

hose
05-28-2005, 08:58 AM
I've been following MLB for a while here is the list of active non network tv announcers I can mention by name besides the White Sox:

1- Dave Wills
2- Vin Sculley
3- Tom Brennaman and Mark Grace (just mentioned in an article I read)
4- Casper and the old AZ manager.
5- Burt Byleven (only because of mention at WSI)
6- Chip and Skip Caray
7- Old man Brennaman

Here is the list of current announcers I have heard live in a non network game:

1- Vin Sculley
2- Chip and Skip Caray
3- Casper and the old AZ manager.

Here is how I feel about the other teams announcers:

I don't care.