PDA

View Full Version : Yankee fan poll: White Sox announcers worst in baseball

JoseCanseco6969
05-26-2005, 02:52 AM
I posted this in here cause it's comical and ridiculous. It's amazing how much Hawk gets under the other fans skin!
http://forums.nyyfans.com/showthread.php?t=83323

Chisox003
05-26-2005, 03:58 AM
I posted this in here cause it's comical and ridiculous. It's amazing how much Hawk gets under the other fans skin!
http://forums.nyyfans.com/showthread.php?t=83323

Every single one of their reasons for hating the Sox announcers (Mainly Hawk, I didnt even see DJ mentioned) was becase the homerism....Which I happen to love about Hawk

They said he sounds to much like a fan and not enough like a broadcaster...:rolleyes:

Personally, I love Hawk and DJ, I think they're hilarious

How the hell did we lose to Seattle!? They're brutal! :drunken:

MUsoxfan
05-26-2005, 04:02 AM
No publicity is bad publicity. I like having a "homer" in the booth. Makes me feel as if the broadcaster is on the same wavelength as me.

Viva Medias B's
05-26-2005, 07:48 AM
This coming from fans of a team whose radio PBP voice, John Sterling, likes to bellow out "Yankees win! Thahahahah Yankees win!"

Baby Fisk
05-26-2005, 08:24 AM
Thahahahah Yankees win!"
Indisputably the worst noise in baseball.

doublem23
05-26-2005, 09:05 AM
These people have obviously never listened to Bob Brenly and the other guy call a game for the Cubs... Bruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuutal.

Baby Fisk
05-26-2005, 09:15 AM
These people have obviously never listened to Bob Brenly and the other guy call a game for the Cubs... Bruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuutal.
And also boooooooooooring. Those two are the ultimate muzzled happy talkers. "Everything's bright and shiny in Cubbieland!" Snore.

bayzbol44
05-26-2005, 09:27 AM
Finally, the media get it right. I have told people on other posts that Hawk and DJ are an absolute JOKE. They are a reason why our team is never taken seriously in this town. The homers that support him REALLY need to take a step back and see how much of a JOKE Hawk is. I think he actually make DJ worse. DJ is great on FOX Saturday. :bandance: NY Media did good.

bayzbol44
05-26-2005, 09:31 AM
I know, I know, the link is not really media, but its close enough. Also, we know the fans are always right.

SSN721
05-26-2005, 09:34 AM
Finally, the media get it right. I have told people on other posts that Hawk and DJ are an absolute JOKE. They are a reason why our team is never taken seriously in this town. The homers that support him REALLY need to take a step back and see how much of a JOKE Hawk is. I think he actually make DJ worse. DJ is great on FOX Saturday. :bandance: NY Media did good.

You seriously think the announcers are why we arent taken seriously? Who have we been competing against, Santo and Carey when alive, then Chip, come on the only decent announcer the Cubs had was Stone. I think Hawk is an acquired taste, I suppose I have to look at Santo the same way since fans of both teams have equal disdain for these two announcers. You think Hawk is bad I dont think you have listenened to many other broadcasters. And I think a team who employs Micheal Kay has no right to tell other teams their announcers suffer from homerism. "He looks up, SEE YA" ugh.

Palehose13
05-26-2005, 09:37 AM
Almost all local broadcasters are homers. I love Hawk. I feel like I'm watching the game with my grandpa when I get the pleasure of listening to him (I also have MLB extra innings and have to listen to other announcers). The bottom line is that people get annoyed when they are watching their team lose and have to listen to the winning team's broadcasters.

btw...the "YES" network guys blow.

harwar
05-26-2005, 09:45 AM
I actually like the yanks announcers when Kaat & Singleton are in the booth.
However;They can be "homers" just like most.
You want to hear a really bad team,then you don't have to go any farther that Shea.
Those mets guys are bad.

Baby Fisk
05-26-2005, 09:48 AM
Almost all local broadcasters are homers. I love Hawk. I feel like I'm watching the game with my grandpa when I get the pleasure of listening to him (I also have MLB extra innings and have to listen to other announcers).
Yep! I'd rather have that crazy old man yelling his crazy one-liners than a couple of boring stiffs to listen to during a game. If Hawk worked for another team, we'd naturally hate him as much as we hate the Yankee YES men, Bert Blyleven, Chip Caray, etc. Hawk is ours. Love him while you can. :thumbsup:

Baby Fisk
05-26-2005, 09:53 AM
You want to hear a really bad team,then you don't have to go any farther that Shea.
Those mets guys are bad.

LOL! The Mets guys are hilariously mismatched. Fran Healy is out of his mind most of the time and over-pronounces every name. Meanwhile whenever Keith Hernandez is in the booth, he gives the impression that he's scoping out ladies in the reserved seats and barely paying attention to the game. "What's that Fran? Yeah whatever you say man." Then you've got Ralph Kiner, who manages to bring up a reference from the 1950s regardless of the situation.

Fran: "Here comes Mike Caaaameron up to the plate. He's hitting .450 on this homestand and he's really on fire!"

Keith: "Whatever you say, Fran."

Ralph: "He reminds me of Pee Wee Reese."

SSN721
05-26-2005, 09:59 AM
I still think the funniest crew I ever heard, was the Expos radio crew, I remember last year getting the MLD radio package and would actually listen to the Spos games every now and then just to hear their broadcasters. It was like a French Canadian version of Hughes and Santo. Just hilarious, I cant remember the names of the two gentlemen off the top of my head though.

Palehose13
05-26-2005, 10:09 AM
Yep! I'd rather have that crazy old man yelling his crazy one-liners than a couple of boring stiffs to listen to during a game. If Hawk worked for another team, we'd naturally hate him as much as we hate the Yankee YES men, Bert Blyleven, Chip Caray, etc. Hawk is ours. Love him while you can. :thumbsup:

Another thing that I found funny on that thread was this:
the fact they don't announce clearly what is happening on the field is amusing. Makes you appreciate YES announcers

IS this cat not able to see what is happening on the field without the announcer telling him? I could see his point if he was talking about radio announcers, but this is television for cripes sake!

RKMeibalane
05-26-2005, 10:09 AM
Just ignore those morons. They're still bitter because some of their administrators tried to post on this site, and were banned. The funny part is that they tried to blame me for what happened. PHG resolved the situation soon afterwards.

ilsox7
05-26-2005, 10:31 AM

The fact that you think DJ is anything but awful pretty much ruins your credibility.

Hawk is hated b/c he is a homer...most of us happen to like it. DJ is just awful. Absolutely horrid.

RKMeibalane
05-26-2005, 10:39 AM
The fact that you think DJ is anything but awful pretty much ruins your credibility.

Hawk is hated b/c he is a homer...most of us happen to like it. DJ is just awful. Absolutely horrid.

Someone needs to stuff a sock in DJ's mouth. That "uh-oh" call of his is getting old.

CubsfansareDRUNK
05-26-2005, 10:44 AM
theyre just jealous their announcers cant think of anything creative

Baby Fisk
05-26-2005, 10:47 AM
Someone needs to stuff a sock in DJ's mouth. That "uh-oh" call of his is getting old.

You'd think after all these months of doing occasional play-by-play, he'd have developed a good home run call. He still sounds like he's panicked and frozen by every home run that goes out.

[*CRACK OF THE BAT*]

:DJ
[pause]
"Uh-ohh!"
[pause]
"Bye-bye!"
[pause]
[another pause]

tebman
05-26-2005, 12:02 PM
And also boooooooooooring. Those two are the ultimate muzzled happy talkers. "Everything's bright and shiny in Cubbieland!" Snore.
Indulge me as I rant about Pat Hughes: "It's a BEAUTiful day at WRIGley Field, where the ChiCAgo (pause) CUBS meet the PITTSburgh PIrates..."

ARRGHH! Not only is everything and everybody hunky-dory with that guy, but his ROLLing baritone sounds like a Saturday Night Live character. And then he passes it off to hapless Ron Santo who usually responds with, "...I don't know..."

I don't listen to those games. But I pass by them on my way down the radio dial and 20 seconds or so is all I can take.

Fenway
05-26-2005, 12:06 PM
Have to remember Hawk was booed out of New York in the laste 80's when he did Yankees TV.

Elliot Price was the english Expos annoucer

Kogs35
05-26-2005, 12:17 PM
angels, yankees,cubs broadcasters suck to nyyfans.com

skobabe8
05-26-2005, 01:31 PM
If hawk was doing yankee games they would absolutely love him. Thats the nature of a homer.

And just about every post was saying the mariners crew is the worst. Yet we had the most votes? Idiotic.

Hey, yankees fans:

We. Don't. Care.

Lip Man 1
05-26-2005, 01:46 PM
Basz:

What you forget or fail to understand is that 'homers' are EXACTLY what Uncle Jerry and most of the other owners want.

The days of harry and Jimmy telling the truth (sadly) are long gone.

You criticize Hawk for being a homer yet would you risk your job and that sizable income going against the owners wishes?

Didn't think so....

I'd love for honestly to return to sports broadcasting but until stations begin hiring and paying the on air talent and not the club's that's not going to happen.

Lip

AZChiSoxFan
05-26-2005, 01:49 PM
They are a reason why our team is never taken seriously in this town.

Yeah, if the Sox had just hired Steve Stone in the offseason, they would have instantly been the favorite team in Chicago.

The Racehorse
05-26-2005, 02:42 PM
Yankee fans can shove it.

Baby Fisk
05-26-2005, 02:56 PM
Basz:

What you forget or fail to understand is that 'homers' are EXACTLY what Uncle Jerry and most of the other owners want.

You criticize Hawk for being a homer yet would you risk your job and that sizable income going against the owners wishes?

Didn't think so....

I'd love for honestly to return to sports broadcasting but until stations begin hiring and paying the on air talent and not the club's that's not going to happen.

Lip
Lip:

What you forget or fail to understand is that fans also want homers in the broadcast booth. When we want honest reportage on matters, such as, for example, pulling this off the top of my head, SOX OWNERSHIP, we don't have to look hard to find you. :cool:

nasox
05-26-2005, 03:00 PM
Just ignore those morons. They're still bitter because some of their administrators tried to post on this site, and were banned. The funny part is that they tried to blame me for what happened. PHG resolved the situation soon afterwards.

Have the thread(s) related to this link?

nasox
05-26-2005, 03:02 PM

And now you have no credibility here. Congrats!

Baby Fisk
05-26-2005, 03:10 PM
And now you have no credibility here. Congrats!

Now he's like the rest of us. :cool:

SOXSINCE'70
05-26-2005, 03:21 PM
This coming from fans of a team whose radio PBP voice, John Sterling, likes to bellow out "Yankees win! Thahahahah Yankees win!"

If it weren't for all the sCrUBbie tools (Hughes,Santo,Kasper,Brenly),
Sterling would be the worst broadcaster in the history of broadcasting.
My WS DVD's from 2001 and 2003 also have his home run calls,
which are "it is high,it is far,it iiiiiiiiiiiis.......gone!" or "see ya!",
IIRC.I like to take his trademark "Yankmees Win" call and bend it to
"Yankees lose,Yankees lose,theeeeeeeee Yankees lose" or just replace
the word "lose" with "suck".:cool:

bayzbol44
05-26-2005, 04:34 PM
Darn, I lost my creditibility from WSIers? What do I do now???

DJ does just fine on FOX. However, he is horrible with Hawk. The Sox GAVE him that role. This is the reason Wimpy left, because they told him to play a "stupid" role. He refused.

Yes, we would actually have more viewers if Stoney was announcing. There is no doubt about that.

I am not asking for announcers to sit there and tell the truth and cross the line and get fired. I am just asking for the Hawkapoo to get a bit more professional. Come on, "Streeeetch". Talking to a baseball??? Talking to a player while he bats??? Talking to a player while he pitches??? Again, show me one other GOOD announcer who does that. Please WSIers, think a little bit. Expand the mind out of Chicago and show me an example. Don't hurt your head while you do this. Or just admit, the Hawk is the ONLY DORK who does this. IF you are fine to have a DORK as announcer and you love him for that, that is fine. I am just saying I don't like him, because as a BASEBALL PLAY BY PLAY announcer, he is horrible.

There are a LOT of good homer announcers, but none of them talk the baseball to "stretch" or tell their players to be patient.
THE HAWK SUPPORTERS ARE A JOKE. They are homers, just like him. True fans, like the ones on that message board get what good announcers are about.

Baby Fisk
05-26-2005, 04:40 PM
Yes, we would actually have more viewers if Stoney was announcing. There is no doubt about that.

Come on...

DaveIsHere
05-26-2005, 04:50 PM

DJ does just fine on FOX. However, he is horrible with Hawk. The Sox GAVE him that role. This is the reason Wimpy left, because they told him to play a "stupid" role. He refused.

I am not asking for announcers to sit there and tell the truth and cross the line and get fired. I am just asking for the Hawkapoo to get a bit more professional. Come on, "Streeeetch". Talking to a baseball??? Talking to a player while he bats??? Talking to a player while he pitches??? Again, show me one other GOOD announcer who does that. Please WSIers, think a little bit. Expand the mind out of Chicago and show me an example. Don't hurt your head while you do this. Or just admit, the Hawk is the ONLY DORK who does this. IF you are fine to have a DORK as announcer and you love him for that, that is fine. I am just saying I don't like him, because as a BASEBALL PLAY BY PLAY announcer, he is horrible.

There are a LOT of good homer announcers, but none of them talk the baseball to "stretch" or tell their players to be patient.
THE HAWK SUPPORTERS ARE A JOKE. They are homers, just like him. True fans, like the ones on that message board get what good announcers are about.

Wow that post sucked......

I think Hawk is great just because of what you said. He is rooting for the team like I do when I watch a game, I'll yell at Paulie not to swing and take a pitch just like Hawk.......guess I am not a true fan acccording to your analysis.

Fenway
05-26-2005, 04:52 PM

Comcast agrees with you...but things have to play out in 2005

Brenley could very well take over for Baker and then the Cubs beg Stone to return. possible but unlikely

Hawk is moved to color DJ to studio and a new voice brought in. probably a 40% chance this will happen because Comcast does not want to get caught flat footed again when Hawk went on the DL. There will be a few big names out there next year including Dave O'Brien ( Mets- ESPN ) , Sean McDonough , Gary Thorne and others.

Casual fans in surveys say they like Santo over Hawk because Ron is funny. Ken has his fans but a lot more simply can not stand him.

SSN721
05-26-2005, 05:00 PM

Wow, HAWK DETRACTORS ARE A JOKE. Dumb statement when flipped the other way isnt it? It is amazing that you are the omnipotent ruler of all things broadcasting and can tell us peons what we should like and what is good broadcasting. Thank you for telling me and anyone who likes Hawk that we are not true fans of the team. PLEASE OH GREAT ONE, DELIVER MICHEAL KAY TO US AND SHOW US WHAT GOOD BROADCASTING IS. Because "see ya" is a much more sophisticated home run call then "you put it on the board....yes."
Really, I appreciate your enlightenment today I feel I can go home now as a better and more intelligent person.

mdep524
05-26-2005, 05:52 PM
I don't understand why some Sox fans have a problem with Hawk rooting for the Sox in the booth. :dunno: I love it.

Sometimes I wish he were more objective from an analytical standpoint, as opposed to him saying every move the Sox make is right- kind of insulting/condescending to the audience, but I love the passionate cheering.

Palehose13
05-26-2005, 06:01 PM
Come on, "Streeeetch". Talking to a baseball???

Yet the nation loved when a certain catcher willed a ball to stay fair by waving his arms in a playoff game years ago. Yeah, this stuff doesn't belong in the GAME of baseball. :rolleyes:

Epark84
05-26-2005, 09:06 PM
be honest, if hawk was a cub announcer or twins announcer we would rip him mercilessly. Hawk was great, but really has slipped. DJ, the ex cub, should be calling rookie league games. Or high school cable access

JoseCanseco6969
05-26-2005, 09:24 PM

:dumbpeople:

RKMeibalane
05-26-2005, 09:25 PM

Brenley could very well take over for Baker and then the Cubs beg Stone to return. possible but unlikely

Hawk is moved to color DJ to studio and a new voice brought in. probably a 40% chance this will happen because Comcast does not want to get caught flat footed again when Hawk went on the DL. There will be a few big names out there next year including Dave O'Brien ( Mets- ESPN ) , Sean McDonough , Gary Thorne and others.

Casual fans in surveys say they like Santo over Hawk because Ron is funny. Ken has his fans but a lot more simply can not stand him.

I like Dave O'Brien. He usually has some nice things to say about the Sox, particularly Big Frank. I can vividly recall him defending the Sox back in 2003 during a game against the Royals when Sutcliffe was ripping them.

Daver
05-26-2005, 09:25 PM
Hawk is bad enough by himself, teamed with an idiot like DJ, it is pure comedy.

Sorry but the Sox TV announcing team sucks.

The only announcer the Sox have that is worth listening to is John Rooney, it is sad he is teamed with a complete waste of oxygen like Ed Farmer.

RKMeibalane
05-26-2005, 09:27 PM
Hawk is bad enough by himself, teamed with an idiot like DJ, it is pure comedy.

Sorry but the Sox TV announcing team sucks.

The only announcer the Sox have that is worth listening to is John Rooney, it is sad he is teamed with a complete waste of oxygen like Ed Farmer.

Ed Farmer is a waste of many things.

Soxzilla
05-26-2005, 10:03 PM
Basz:

Didn't think so....

Lip

Is it really that big of a deal if he is kissing the owner's butt? When I sit down to watch White Sox games, I don't need to hear about how KW got the shaft from Billy Beane in the Billy Koch deal, all I want to watch is the game. And when Hawk announces, it's like sitting next a brother that is also a White Sox fan, he says precisely what I'm saying as I watch games unfold. He also chimes in with interesting stories about the game, and his experiences, kind of like the true hollywood stories of Charlie Murphy (:rolleyes:). I find that stuff kind of interesting, because no other announcer (that I've heard) will tell you that behind the stage sort of information.

Regardless, if I wanted to hear the 'truth' about my team, I'd watch the Royals broadcast. I'm not sure if you've heard them, but when I listened they were basically laughing at the team as the comedy on the field unfolded. If I were a Royals fan, I'd be pissed enough about the disgusting display, I don't need to hear it droned about in the booth, that would piss me off even more.

Besides, I get enough 'the sky is falling' material here at WSI, why would I need to hear it in the booth.

And to those bitching about PBP, listen to Rooney if you want PBP. I don't need every call repeated from Hawk or DJ, I have freakin' eyes.

The fact that the White Sox won this poll, makes me realize how well Hawk is doing his job. It isn't his job to cater to non-White Sox fans.

Now only if they could find him a suitable partner...Ventura didn't do too bad in the booth those few games. Well, when DJ didn't have his lips puckered on his rump.

bayzbol44
05-27-2005, 07:48 AM

Well, Fenway proves my point...East coast people know what they are talking (most of the time). I saw some other smart posts also. Hopefully, some other people will catch on and become smart.

SSN721
05-27-2005, 09:35 AM
Well, Fenway proves my point...East coast people know what they are talking (most of the time). I saw some other smart posts also. Hopefully, some other people will catch on and become smart.

You're right, east coasters are all geniuses, wish we were as smart as them.

Palehose13
05-27-2005, 10:12 AM

Proves your point? :rolleyes:

For cripes sake, this is all OPINION. Nobody's right or wrong and the formation of this opinion has nothing to do with intelligence. I happen to like an entertaining homer for a broadcaster. It sounds like you prefer a broadcaster that's as dry as toast. To each his/her own.