PDA

View Full Version : Theme Music

soxfan123
05-25-2005, 08:06 PM
Is it just me, or is the music going from the game to commercials on Comcast extremely catchy? I thoroughly enjoy the three-second blurb of upbeat jazz as we enter the commercial break. Any thoughts?

Whitesox029
05-25-2005, 08:19 PM
Is it just me, or is the music going from the game to commercials on Comcast extremely catchy? I thoroughly enjoy the three-second blurb of upbeat jazz as we enter the commercial break. Any thoughts?
Actually I was thinking that I don't like it that much...personally I think instead of making their own theme music, TV stations should do like radio stations and use music by actual artists. Some blues would be nice, considering this is Chicago.

Banix12
05-25-2005, 08:52 PM
Actually I was thinking that I don't like it that much...personally I think instead of making their own theme music, TV stations should do like radio stations and use music by actual artists. Some blues would be nice, considering this is Chicago.

Ah but the TV stations usually have to pay for the right to play those songs as bumps, not always, but usually they have to pay a little bit for every play based upon length of the clip. The Radio stations usually have deals with record companies to allow them to use the music in that way.

Though If they asked around to local record companies, I'm sure some company would be willing to donate some blues, but then the announcers are gonna have to likely start mentioning the songs when they come back from the break and give a plug to the company and artist at some point.

They can use name music, it's just simpler for all involved to have a set non-descript bump. Less hassle with dealing with royalties, it becomes a sound that gets associated only with your product (not your product and a bunch of other things the name music is used for), and you don't get a bunch of people emailing the producer asking "what the hell was that song?"

At least Comcast is better than FOX national broadcasts, I got really irritated during the playoffs when they used the little bit of music from the end of Dodge commercials as their all-purpose bump. Drove me nuts.