PDA

View Full Version : Chicago Media says this announcer is Great. I Disagree

Hangar18
05-25-2005, 03:08 PM
The following gem is from last nites contest.

Santo: This reminds me of a situation last year ......ummmmmm, ahhhhhh
MULDER was coming to bat ...
Hughes: You mean MOHLER
Santo: yeah, yeah ....... MOHLER was coming up, and he hits a hr for the Diamondbacks
Sando: You mean BREWERS.
Santo: yeah, yeah ........ against the Brewers. Hasnt had a hr since then

I understand a mistake here and there, but this guys brutal.

Uncle_Patrick
05-25-2005, 03:11 PM
Santo sucks. To be fair, I've heard many radio folks bash him. Its only those overdosing on this:

:bluerock

that seem to think he's actually great. I'll never forget the guy who called Mac, Jerko, and Harry and said Santo was the best announcer, although, "yeah, I know he doesn't talk about baseball that much."

cheeses_h_rice
05-25-2005, 03:25 PM
Hangar, I'm cracking up here.

Show me ONE person in the Chicago media that thinks Santo is a great announcer. Just one.

rdivaldi
05-25-2005, 03:31 PM

Show me ONE person in the Chicago media that thinks Santo is a great announcer. Just one.

Ask and ye shall receive...

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-050522greenstein,1,6821858.column?coll=cs-cubs-utility

He gives Teddy warm and fuzzy feelings...

cheeses_h_rice
05-25-2005, 03:36 PM

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-050522greenstein,1,6821858.column?coll=cs-cubs-utility

It's difficult to spell a lot of what comes out of Ron Santo's mouth.

How exactly do you represent the sound of a groan? Is it "awwwww" or "arghhhhhh" or "ohhhhh"? Or does it deserve to go in capital letters?

http://adserver.trb.com/ads/chicago/chicagosports/rectangle/buysoxtix.gif</a>
It's easy, though, to translate Santo into winning and losing. His wordsóand his soundsódon't even matter. It's all tone and volume. You don't even need to hear a score to know whether the Cubs are on top. That's the beauty of Santo.

But the flip side can be a bewildering lack of preparation. In the sixth inning of Sunday's game, Santo asked partner Pat Hughes, "Did [the Sox] have [Tadahito] Iguchi last year?"

The question makes you shake your head. Then you remember that Santo is one of a kind.

As always, Hughes provided a perfect yin to Santo's yang.

Greenstein is saying that Santo is more of a character than anything in this. If someone displaying "a bewildering lack of preparation" is considered greatness, I'd hate to see what Greenstein thinks is bad.

SSN721
05-25-2005, 03:41 PM

That is real brilliant analysis by Teddy in that article. I can really see where he is coming from, Rooney and Farmer are so dry and scripted and Santo is just all heart and great to listen to.

Hangar18
05-25-2005, 03:41 PM

hahahah, didnt WGN announce him as "legendary" announcer Ron Santo numerous times? legendary at what, I dont know.

Uncle_Patrick
05-25-2005, 03:44 PM
Cubs fans have an odd fanscination with senile old men broadcasting their games. It always strikes me as odd that they criticize Hawk for being no good.

Dick Allen
05-25-2005, 04:12 PM
I caught part of a Cub game on the radio last year (nothing else was on, I guess). Santo actually left the booth for an inning because he was so steamed at an umpire's call. Yeah, he's a good one.

SOXSINCE'70
05-25-2005, 04:50 PM
Cubs fans have an odd fanscination with senile old men broadcasting their games. It always strikes me as odd that they criticize Hawk for being no good.

After the last road games with Mr "UH-OH!!!!!!!!" ,
Hawk is beginning to sound like Vin Scully.:D: :D: :D:

COME BACK HAWK!!EYE PATCH OR NOT,THIS TEAM NEEDS YOU!! :gulp: :gulp:

slavko
05-26-2005, 12:05 PM
DJ appears to have ditched the "Uh-Oh." Ted Cox (Herald TV critic) likes Santo, too. What would you expect of fans of a team fascinated with incompetence?

Hangar18
05-26-2005, 12:26 PM
So ....... per Teddy Greenstein, the makings of a Hall Of Fame Broadcaster,
consist of:

A: Moaning (a journalistic no-no) if something bad happens,
B: Cheering (all rite! cmon! yeah! whistles) when something good happens (as opposed to providing articulate and descriptive comments on what just happened-something hes allegedly supposed to be doing)
C: Constantly Mispronounce Names on a daily basis, combined with
D: Sounding INCOHERENT and running on with INANE subject matter
E: Provide no color or subjective commentary to the game. Instead,
sounding like a person who snuck into the booth and doesnt realize he has a microphone turned on.

Now I do feel bad about #D, as Santo is decrepit and feeble and this is a chief reason he sounds the way he does, but in a way, he is the victim too, because it is the Corporate Blue Machine that props him up, to try very hard, to be just like Harry was ........ a perennial broadcast face for the team. They dont care, theyre milking Santos broadcasting carcass for as much as the blue-sheeped cub fans will accept it. The moment the fans get tired of it, watch how the Santo dirty laundry starts coming out (curses out waiters, rude, doesnt prepare well, smells bad, too incoherent, hes a bad announcer) and the Chicago Media will run with this ...........

C-Dawg
05-26-2005, 12:41 PM
...smells bad...

LOL I'll take your word on that one!

How about when he starts to tell some story on the air and is interrupted by a play on the field. He either forgets he was in the middle of a story or he forgets where he left off. It happens all the time!

nasox
05-26-2005, 02:05 PM
[QUOTE=Hangar18]
A: Moaning (a journalistic no-no) if something bad happens,
B: Cheering (all rite! cmon! yeah! whistles) when something good happens (as opposed to providing articulate and descriptive comments on what just happened-something hes allegedly supposed to be doing)
C: Constantly Mispronounce Names on a daily basis, combined with
D: Sounding INCOHERENT and running on with INANE subject matter
[QUOTE]

Sounds like sex to me.

cheeses_h_rice
05-26-2005, 02:20 PM
Sounds like sex to me.

Brings new meaning to the classic Pat & Ron phrase "Oh no, he dropped the ball!", doesn't it?

LuvSox
05-26-2005, 06:41 PM
hahahah, didnt WGN announce him as "legendary" announcer Ron Santo numerous times? legendary at what, I dont know.

Checking his blood sugar?
I'll give him props for dealing with his Diabetes, which can be a mutha. Otherwise he's just another Cubbie tool.

DaleJRFan
05-26-2005, 07:14 PM
The following gem is from last nites contest.

Santo: This reminds me of a situation last year ......ummmmmm, ahhhhhh
MULDER was coming to bat ...
Hughes: You mean MOHLER
Santo: yeah, yeah ....... MOHLER was coming up, and he hits a hr for the Diamondbacks
Sando: You mean BREWERS.
Santo: yeah, yeah ........ against the Brewers. Hasnt had a hr since then

I understand a mistake here and there, but this guys brutal.

Pat Hughes is great. Oh... wait, you were talking about Santo.. Sorry. He is indeed br00tal... I am convinced his inability to tollerably call a game is a direct result of his hairpiece starp being way too tight...