PDA

View Full Version : Steve Stone - Still a Fool, Still Cubbie Blue

TheOldRoman
05-25-2005, 01:13 PM
Steve Stone is calling the ESPN broadcast today of the Rockies Brewers game. They started out the game by talking about how great Carlos Lee is. Then Stone makes the comments "They needed a power hitter and they got one of the best in the game in Lee" Really? I can think of 20 better power hitters off the top of my head.
This was the dumbest of his quotes, "The had a little speed with Podsednik, and traded him for a LOT of power with Lee."

Im not arguing that Lee has power, but to say Scotty has "a little speed" and Carlos has "A LOT" of power is just ridiculous. Lee is a good hitter, but there are many many better power hitting outfielders. Podsednik, on the other hand, is the fastest man in baseball, and there are 1 maybe 2 better leadoff hitters than him. Is Steve Stone going to become the next Rick Suttcliffe? Is he going to do nothing but trash the White Sox from his high horse on national TV? I hope not. I had always respected Stone a little, but this isn't the first ridiculous anti-Sox quote of his.

Iwritecode
05-25-2005, 01:34 PM
Steve Stone is calling the ESPN broadcast today of the Rockies Brewers game. They started out the game by talking about how great Carlos Lee is. Then Stone makes the comments "They needed a power hitter and they got one of the best in the game in Lee" Really? I can think of 20 better power hitters off the top of my head.
This was the dumbest of his quotes, "The had a little speed with Podsednik, and traded him for a LOT of power with Lee."

Im not arguing that Lee has power, but to say Scotty has "a little speed" and Carlos has "A LOT" of power is just ridiculous. Lee is a good hitter, but there are many many better power hitting outfielders. Podsednik, on the other hand, is the fastest man in baseball, and there are 1 maybe 2 better leadoff hitters than him. Is Steve Stone going to become the next Rick Suttcliffe? Is he going to do nothing but trash the White Sox from his high horse on national TV? I hope not. I had always respected Stone a little, but this isn't the first ridiculous anti-Sox quote of his.

I won't take offense with it. He's probably just stroking the egos of all the Brewers fans watching the game.

Either way it's bound to upset the northside fans. :D:

D. TODD
05-25-2005, 01:37 PM
Podsednik, on the other hand, is the fastest man in baseball, Podsednik is the best basestealer in baseball, but far from the fastest.

Iwritecode
05-25-2005, 01:47 PM
Podsednik is the best basestealer in baseball, but far from the fastest.

He can run 90ft in 3.9? 3.6? seconds. Something like that.

IIRC, they have something set up in the FUNdamentals area where kids can "race" against him and they have it timed exactly.

If there's anyone in baseball that can run faster, then they need to be an olympic sprinter instead of a baseball player...

mantis1212
05-25-2005, 01:53 PM
He can run 90ft in 3.9? 3.6? seconds. Something like that.

IIRC, they have something set up in the FUNdamentals area where kids can "race" against him and they have it timed exactly.

If there's anyone in baseball that can run faster, then they need to be an olympic sprinter instead of a baseball player...

I heard the FUNdementals thing adjusts per kid- and besides, why would they have kids race a actual-speed Podsednik??

I'm thinking Nook Logan is probably faster- Podsednik's instincts make him the basestealer he is more than his speed IMO.

kittle42
05-25-2005, 01:56 PM
There is absolutely no reason, in my opinion, to react so negatively to Stone's innocuous comments. Not everything that doesn't, with 100% complete accuracy, praise the Sox is "anti-Sox."

Chicago83
05-25-2005, 01:59 PM
Lateley all I have been hearing from Stone is Anti-Cub and Pro-Sox. He's not the kind of guy to take sides, but I think he has a bitter taste in his mouth after the '04 fiasco. I can gurantee you he does not bleed Cubbie blue and I have no idea why his appraisal of Carlos Lee has anything to do with this. Stone is a tell it like it is kind of guy and that's why he got fired.

Uncle_Patrick
05-25-2005, 02:03 PM
There is absolutely no reason, in my opinion, to react so negatively to Stone's innocuous comments. Not everything that doesn't, with 100% complete accuracy, praise the Sox is "anti-Sox."

Exactly. I've heard Stone on the Score a bunch of times and I've never heard him bash the Sox. He's probably playing up to Brewers fans who are tired of hearing how great Pods is on the Sox without the mention that Lee has been a benefit for the Brewers. This trade has worked well for both teams so far. Enjoy it. Stone wasn't bashing Pods or the Sox.

TheOldRoman
05-25-2005, 02:05 PM
Im not looking for announcers to do nothing but praise the Sox. However, it sounded like he was trivializing Podsednik to say the Brewers traded "a little speed for LOT of power." However, later in the broadcast Stone has talked about the impact Pods has on the team, and also said Uribe for Miles was a great trade for both teams. Maybe I overreacted before, but that certainly was a dumb or poorly worded quote from Stone.

D. TODD
05-25-2005, 02:10 PM
There is absolutely no reason, in my opinion, to react so negatively to Stone's innocuous comments. Not everything that doesn't, with 100% complete accuracy, praise the Sox is "anti-Sox." I agree that the trade helped the Brewers, they needed the pop from C. Lee. It also helped the Sox by giving them the much needed leadoff man to manufacture runs. Not to mention the added money to fill other needs. I don't take Stone's comments as a hidden jab at the Sox for the trade at all, just a comment on how it effected the Brew Crew.

itsnotrequired
05-25-2005, 02:32 PM
I agree that the trade helped the Brewers, they needed the pop from C. Lee. It also helped the Sox by giving them the much needed leadoff man to manufacture runs. Not to mention the added money to fill other needs. I don't take Stone's comments as a hidden jab at the Sox for the trade at all, just a comment on how it effected the Brew Crew.

Everyone forgets about Viz coming over in that trade as well. Great pickup.

skobabe8
05-25-2005, 02:33 PM
I heard the FUNdementals thing adjusts per kid- and besides, why would they have kids race a actual-speed Podsednik??

I'm thinking Nook Logan is probably faster- Podsednik's instincts make him the basestealer he is more than his speed IMO.

The kids DO race against Scottys actual time. If you've evr been up there, the cardboard cut-out of him FLIES. Now for certain kids too young who obviously wont stand a chance, or kids that want to do it over and over, they will slow it down. But most of the time its at full speed.

Fake Chet Lemon
05-25-2005, 02:52 PM
I remember during Spring Training after McCarthy had two fantastic outings, Stone was on WSCR as a "Chicago Baseball Expert" and someone asked him about McCarthy. Stones response was basically "who?". He still had NO CLUE who McCarthy was. Say what you are Stone, a Cubs expert who has a cursory knowledge of the Sox and then I'd be OK with him.

cheeses_h_rice
05-25-2005, 02:55 PM
I remember during Spring Training after McCarthy had two fantastic outings, Stone was on WSCR as a "Chicago Baseball Expert" and someone asked him about McCarthy. Stones response was basically "who?". He still had NO CLUE who McCarthy was. Say what you are Stone, a Cubs expert who has a cursory knowledge of the Sox and then I'd be OK with him.

Shocking that a guy who announced 162 games a year with a team for 15 years would have more insight about them than the team he sees 6 times a year, isn't it?

Fake Chet Lemon
05-25-2005, 02:58 PM
Shocking that a guy who announced 162 games a year with a team for 15 years would have more insight about them than the team he sees 6 times a year, isn't it?

I'm just calling for a little "truth in advertising", nothing wrong with that last I checked. I actually enjoy when he rips the Cubs. But he's no Sox expert, don't sell yourself as one.

PatK
05-25-2005, 03:05 PM
I think Stone blows now.

He always had a hint of a smarmy, know-it-all attitude.

But his falling out with the Cubs/Tribune organization has just pumped up his ego a notch. Know he's got the same attitude along with a pinch of I-told-you-so-itis.

He's smart and insightful, but he's also full of himself and it shows.

ClaudelSleptHere
05-25-2005, 03:13 PM
When I hear Stone on the radio, he always seems to steer the conversation toward the Sox, because the callers sure don't. I have no problem with him.

Uncle_Patrick
05-25-2005, 03:14 PM
But his falling out with the Cubs/Tribune organization has just pumped up his ego a notch. Know he's got the same attitude along with a pinch of I-told-you-so-itis.

He's smart and insightful, but he's also full of himself and it shows.

Now this, I can buy. When I hear him on B&B talk about the latest Cubs fiasco, I get a sense that he's really enjoying it in a sort of "I told you this was coming" attitude. Not that I really mind that.

Kogs35
05-25-2005, 03:24 PM
Stone will be on espn2 call of the sox-angels on monday afternoon and on wed night.

cheeses_h_rice
05-25-2005, 03:45 PM
I'm just calling for a little "truth in advertising", nothing wrong with that last I checked. I actually enjoy when he rips the Cubs. But he's no Sox expert, don't sell yourself as one.

They call him the Score's baseball expert. It may take him a few weeks more to fully understand the Sox's machinations. Give it some time.

rwcescato
05-25-2005, 04:00 PM

As long as we win our division and do something in the playoffs I am getting to the point of who cares what they say. We will have final say when we do something like that.

34 Inch Stick
05-25-2005, 04:45 PM
You don't have to go far to find a faster player than Pods. Willie Harris is faster than Podsednik.
I still agree with your point though. The Brewers were actually changing a lot of speed (top base stealer in the league) for a little bit of power (31 homers is nice, but it is nowhere near tops in the league).

Still I have a hard time getting outraged over what is said on a daytime, middle of the week broadcast of two teams that will probably finish sub .500 on the deuce.

balke
05-25-2005, 04:54 PM
I didn't read the whole thread, cause its kinda garbage. But Eucker (sp?) came in and commented how perfect a trade it was, and how the Sox really capitalized by getting Podsednik to fit Ozzie's system of baseball. Mentioned us as having the best record and said Vizz was struggling, but he'll last and be okay.

Carlos is good, if Stone wants to play to the audience, more power to him. He's got a LOT of RBI's, but it'll be interesting to see if he surpasses his Whitesox #'s overall this season. I kinda hope so, he's a great clean-up or 3rd spot in the order hitter.

samram
05-25-2005, 04:57 PM

Good post. Furthermore, if we as Sox fans feel slighted by the media, how do you think Brewers' fans feel? So Stoney stroked their egos a little bit, made them feel better about rooting for a team with absolutely no chance. Good on him. I've had a chance to hear him the last few days I've been in Chicago, and Stone has been very objective and knowledgable about the Sox, IMO.

mdep524
05-25-2005, 05:36 PM
I didn't read the whole thread, cause its kinda garbage. But Eucker (sp?) came in and commented how perfect a trade it was, and how the Sox really capitalized by getting Podsednik to fit Ozzie's system of baseball. Mentioned us as having the best record and said Vizz was struggling, but he'll last and be okay. Uecker was hilarious, wasn't he? He had me cracking up at several points when he joined Thorne and Stoney. What an unpretentious, funny guy.

Infallible
05-25-2005, 06:47 PM
Stones one of the good guys as far as I'm concerned. He may be smug and arrogant but most TV personalities are, at least Stones has a pretty good repetoire of baseball knowledge to back it up. Besides you don't get threatened with bodily harm on the team flight by the players for being a die hard blind follower of the Cubs organization.

Dan H
05-26-2005, 10:00 AM
I have no problem with Stone on this one or on most things. Right now Carlos Lee is leading the NL in the RBI race and he is right up there in home runs. The trade was a good one for the Sox, but is also looking good for the Brewers as well.

TDog
05-26-2005, 11:21 AM
This was the dumbest of his quotes, "The had a little speed with Podsednik, and traded him for a LOT of power with Lee."....

I don't want to bash Stone for this, but I think it is interesting that Carlos Lee's stock went up immediately after they traded him. Once the Sox traded him, he was a great player. Similarly, Foulke didn't seem to get any respect from anyone in the media (he doesn't throw hard enough) until the day he was traded to the A's. Stone may have more respect for CLee than most, however, because of the way CLee destroyed the Cubs in those cross-town games.

I saw something on the AP wire critical of CLee this week, though. It noted that a promotion for the Sox sleepover shows Aaron Rowand snuggling up in a sleeping bag in leftfield. It added that in that shot, Rowand covered more ground there than CLee did last year.

Uncle_Patrick
05-26-2005, 11:37 AM
Good post. Furthermore, if we as Sox fans feel slighted by the media, how do you think Brewers' fans feel? So Stoney stroked their egos a little bit, made them feel better about rooting for a team with absolutely no chance.

Honestly, I think that's all it was. I've seen posts on Brewers boards where a lot of the fans are tired of hearing from the Chicago media that the Sox were really the winners in this trade. I noticed its building some resentment towards the White Sox (aside from the regular "everything from Chicago sucks" attitude of some Wisconsiners) that most Sox fans don't feel towards the Brewers. To be honest, I think its worked out well for both teams. Its not slighting the White Sox for Stone to highlight the Brewers end of it.

He may be smug, but Stone knows his stuff. Just because he used to work for the Cubs, it doesn't mean he bleeds Cubbie blue. Listen to him talk about the Cubs, he doesn't hold anything back.