PDA

View Full Version : Let's trade for a quality utility infielder

BainesHOF
05-25-2005, 12:17 PM
Uribe looks to be swinging a tired bat. He could use a rest. And I think it's important to keep Iguchi fresh for the long haul as well. We could definitely benefit from making an upgrade at the utility infielder position so we could feel better and more apt to give the members of our fine double play combination regular rest over the long haul in preparation for an October assault through the playoffs.

JB98
05-25-2005, 12:20 PM
Uribe looks to be swinging a tired bat. He could use a rest. And I think it's important to keep Iguchi fresh for the long haul as well. We could definitely benefit from making an upgrade at the utility infielder position so we could feel better and more apt to give the members of our fine double play combination regular rest over the long haul in preparation for an October assault through the playoffs.

I think Harris is doing a good job as a spot starter at 2B, but you're right about Uribe. He has to play every day because we don't have anyone else who can handle SS from a defensive standpoint.

PicktoCLick72
05-25-2005, 12:21 PM
Willie Harris can spell Guch and Ozuna can spell Uribe. THere is no utility infielder (minus Tony G) that could do a better job than these two.

voodoochile
05-25-2005, 12:22 PM
Willie Harris can spell Guch and Ozuna can spell Uribe. THere is no utility infielder (minus Tony G) that could do a better job than these two.

Exactly. I don't see why the team would try to trade for something they already have in abundance. If you want to upgrade the team, you should be thinking big not little.

tschneid83
05-25-2005, 12:33 PM
baseball players are starting to make me mad. I do agree that it looks like uribe is swinging a tired bat but what does he have to be tired about. Yes, i realize that playing everyday can be tiring, and traveling throws you off and makes you tired, etc, etc but you play baseball. The only thing that a player should get time off for is family problems, tired arm (no messing around with an arm injury), other injury, but there is not reason that an in shape adult could not swing a bat every night and swing it hard. I do agree that they deserve time off now and then just for a break and that is fine but if you are on the lineup card for the game you better come out swinging hard. Even uribe's defense has been a little shakey (he is lucky his arm makes up for it).

tschneid83
05-25-2005, 12:36 PM
did not even come close to giving a reply that dealt with this topic so i figured i should chime in. Harris is fine, and i think he would do better if he played more but he understands his role. Ozuna is fine as well. Ill keep what we got and like others mentioned if we trade, trade for something bigger. I dont have a clue what or who that is but no need for just a utility guy

Fake Chet Lemon
05-25-2005, 12:53 PM
Why does Ozuna NEVER PLAY? I watched him a lot when I was in Arizona this Spring and he was impressive. I know it's not the same as the season, but he deserves to play once a week. Right?

maurice
05-25-2005, 12:56 PM
Let's not.

Why add salary and lose a prospect to marginally improve a backup position? Ozuna and Harris are at least adequate and double as pinch runners. Ozzie likes to play his IF starters 98% of the time anyway.

TheOldRoman
05-25-2005, 01:28 PM
By far the best middle infielder available this year will be Placido Polanco. He is a very good hitter, against lefties and righties, and he is very good defensively. He also plays 2B, SS, and 3B. He would be a huge upgrade over Ozuna (who has been incredible so far), but is it worth it to get in the inevitable bidding war for someone we will use as a backup? He would be a luxury for the Sox, but we dont need him.

StockdaleForVeep
05-25-2005, 01:30 PM
:threadsucks

Banix12
05-25-2005, 01:32 PM

It took only 3 posts till someone mentioned Tony G. This board is slipping, usually that would happen in post 1 or 2.

Irishsox1
05-25-2005, 01:37 PM
I've seen Tony G. play and Ozuna play and Ozuna is better than Tony G. Ozuna has a better glove, better bat and can steal bases. If Uribe needs a day off, Ozuna should play.

converted
05-25-2005, 01:45 PM
Why does Ozuna NEVER PLAY? I watched him a lot when I was in Arizona this Spring and he was impressive. I know it's not the same as the season, but he deserves to play once a week. Right?

I totally agree. I would like to see more of Ozuna. He really proved himself in Spring Training and earned his spot. I love his aggressiveness in everything he does when he gets playing time! MORE!! MORE!! MORE!!

TheOldRoman
05-25-2005, 01:53 PM
I've seen Tony G. play and Ozuna play and Ozuna is better than Tony G. Ozuna has a better glove, better bat and can steal bases. If Uribe needs a day off, Ozuna should play.
Exactly. I dont know what the fasination is with Graffanino on this board. He is a decent hitter, but he is poor defensively. The most important attribute of a utility man is great defense. Ozuna has been far superior to Tony with the glove, and he has been good with the bat so far.

Banix12
05-25-2005, 02:01 PM
I mention this...

It took only 3 posts till someone mentioned Tony G. This board is slipping, usually that would happen in post 1 or 2.

and quickly we get this...

and...

Exactly. I dont know what the fasination is with Graffanino on this board. He is a decent hitter, but he is poor defensively. The most important attribute of a utility man is great defense. Ozuna has been far superior to Tony with the glove, and he has been good with the bat so far.

Another Tony G thread begins. I'm sorry God for what I have done. Another afternoon of wasted time discussing the minor accomplishments of everybody's favorite former Devil Ray.

Iguana775
05-25-2005, 02:06 PM
I wonder if KW can swing a trade for Roberto Alomar. i hear he's pretty good.

TheOldRoman
05-25-2005, 02:15 PM
I wonder if KW can swing a trade for Roberto Alomar. i hear he's pretty good.
:tealpolice:
"We're gonna need backup!"

SoxFan48
05-25-2005, 02:16 PM
I totally agree. I would like to see more of Ozuna. He really proved himself in Spring Training and earned his spot. I love his aggressiveness in everything he does when he gets playing time! MORE!! MORE!! MORE!!

Yeah, we just can get enough of these 30 year old career minor leaguers. It is the wave of the future.