PDA

View Full Version : Cover of Sporting News "The Joy of Sox" the second city's NO.1 team

JoseCanseco6969
05-25-2005, 12:00 PM
Just got the mail and was shocked to see Mark Buehrle on the cover of the Sporting News! The article is good untill they blabber on about attendance compared to the Cubs. But throughout the magazine, shots are taken at the FLUBS and the SHRINE (yes they actually used the words!) There is a closer timeline for the Cubs which is funny to read. I recommend checking it out. They also give props to the Sox fans for the Paulie chants drowning out the Cubs fans.

quote: "on this glorious spring afternoon - an afternoon when the Go-Go Sox shine and the Flubs fizzle- the anticipation is palpable."

Hangar18
05-25-2005, 12:18 PM
Link?

JoseCanseco6969
05-25-2005, 12:26 PM
Link?

cant find one on their site, sorry guys

Fake Chet Lemon
05-25-2005, 12:30 PM
I can't wait to go home, mine should be in the mailbox! The Sporting News has been ahead of the curve on the Sox this winter. Normally pretty positive on Kenny moves. They did tick me off on one article and I fired off an email because they had their facts wrong. I actually got a reply and they took ownership for the error.

Lip Man 1
05-25-2005, 12:31 PM
The last time I remember a Sox player on the cover of The Sporting News was in 1993 with Frank Thomas taking BP. Before that it was Floyd Bannister on the mound in August 1983.

Nice to see.

Lip

tebman
05-25-2005, 12:39 PM
The last time I remember a Sox player on the cover of The Sporting News was in 1993 with Frank Thomas taking BP. Before that it was Floyd Bannister on the mound in August 1983.

Nice to see.
I might be risking a thread hijack here, but I haven't read The Sporting News in over 15 years. It had drifted so far away from baseball that I stopped reading it and now I enjoy Baseball Weekly, which more resembles what TSN used to be.

Is the Sox story sustantial and is TSN's baseball coverage worth reading?

D. TODD
05-25-2005, 12:43 PM
Oh NOOOOOO!!!! The Sporting News Jinx.

Fake Chet Lemon
05-25-2005, 12:45 PM
I might be risking a thread hijack here, but I haven't read The Sporting News in over 15 years. It had drifted so far away from baseball that I stopped reading it and now I enjoy Baseball Weekly, which more resembles what TSN used to be.

They are straying TOO FAR from baseball. More Nascar than baseball lately.

AZChiSoxFan
05-25-2005, 12:47 PM
I can't wait to go home, mine should be in the mailbox! The Sporting News has been ahead of the curve on the Sox this winter. Normally pretty positive on Kenny moves. They did tick me off on one article and I fired off an email because they had their facts wrong. I actually got a reply and they took ownership for the error.

Took ownership for their error??? Did you write back to let them know that by doing such a thing, they will never be allowed to work for ESPN?

Fake Chet Lemon
05-25-2005, 12:51 PM
Took ownership for their error??? Did you write back to let them know that by doing such a thing, they will never be allowed to work for ESPN?

:redneck :redneck :redneck

SpammySosa
05-25-2005, 12:51 PM

I got a free subscription to TSN after not having read it for quite a few years. By the time you receive the issue,obviously a lot of what you read is going to be major rehash,but you're hopeful for some insightful articles or informative interviews or whatnot-and I have yet to find any of that since the subscription started.In this day and age of the internet,great sources of info/opinion like WSI:D: and numerous sports shows(as biased as they are),TSN fails to offer anything worthwhile that I haven't already read or seen a week or so prior. Just my.02.:cool:

Edit:FYI-if anyone wants a free subscription to TSN,I can try and find the internet link where you can sign up-no strings attached(besides getting a ton of renewal offers of course).

nasox
05-25-2005, 02:32 PM
I got a free subscription to TSN after not having read it for quite a few years. By the time you receive the issue,obviously a lot of what you read is going to be major rehash,but you're hopeful for some insightful articles or informative interviews or whatnot-and I have yet to find any of that since the subscription started.In this day and age of the internet,great sources of info/opinion like WSI:D: and numerous sports shows(as biased as they are),TSN fails to offer anything worthwhile that I haven't already read or seen a week or so prior. Just my.02.:cool:

Edit:FYI-if anyone wants a free subscription to TSN,I can try and find the internet link where you can sign up-no strings attached(besides getting a ton of renewal offers of course).

I did that, for a bunch of things, but I forgot where. Where'd you get those? Fatwallet is a great place for those links.

MushMouth
05-25-2005, 02:35 PM

I'd also say they manage to stay more impartial overall than most mags. For example, they will always cover important stories in the NBA, MLB or NFL, even if its a small market team doing well, or a previously unknown player. They also have updates on EVERY team in the leagues, every week, so you always will get news on your team.

I think they do a pretty good job.

SaltyPretzel
05-25-2005, 02:50 PM
(javascript: popupCover('cover?is=89951785&pager.offset=0&img=t');).http://imgs.zinio.com/magimages/6914837/2005/89951785_lg.jpg (javascript: popupCover('cover?is=89951785&pager.offset=0&img=t');)

Johnny Mostil
05-25-2005, 03:13 PM

I remember when TSN quit publishing every box score from every major league game. Publishing all the box scores was something nobody else did, and that I think nobody but Baseball Weekly does now. (Or did Baseball Weekly quit doing this, too?) It was an endearing quirk, I thought.

Anyway, I've got a free subscription now, and usually dispose of it after 5 minutes--or right after seeing, as somebody else noted, there isn't anything in it I care to read that I haven't already . . .

hsnterprize
05-28-2005, 01:09 AM
In the upcoming issue of The Sporting News, there's a big, black, sign that says, "The Joy of Sox"...and Mark Buehrle's picture is right in the middle of it. It's obviously an article about the White Sox, and in this case, it's about how the Sox are doing better than the Cubs this year...or as the article put it, "at least on the field." In other words, it's an article about how the Sox are running circles around the Cubs as far as play on the field is concerned, but the Cubs are still going to be more popular because of their national exposure, Wrigley Field, etc., etc.

To the author's credit, this article is one of the fairest ones I've seen so far from a national perspective. It's centered around the Sox' early-season success, and more importantly, their 2 wins in Wrigley this past week. It talks about how KW and Ozzie built this team similar to a National League style...with emphasis on pitching and defense (stuff we WSIers have been knowing for months). It also chronicles how the Cubs, despite their overwhelming popularity, are falling through the cracks in the standings.

There are a couple of lines that can make Sox fans' a little upset. There's a line near the end of the article when the article starts comparing the ballparks. In fairness, he does mention that Sox fans who were at Wrigley called the place an "overrated, decrepit, urine-stained dump." Anyway, the author does say that people flock to Wrigley partially because it's in...

...trendy Lakeview, a playground for the young and beautiful that is overflowing with bars and restaurants; U.S. Cellular sits in a desolate neighborhood, next to the sooty Dan Ryan Expressway.

There is also a picture that should inspire hope in the next generation. There's a picture of a family of 3 within the article, and the poor sap of a husband is smiling with his Cubbie-blue crap on while holding his infant son's bottle. However, you can clearly tell who the smarter one of the family is as the wife is standing next to him wearing white, silver, and black Sox gear, and her baby boy is also dressed for the occasion...in silver and black, of course. There is hope folks...there is hope.

This Sporting News is dates June 3rd, and I don't know if it's on sale or not since I subscribe to it. So when you do find it...BUY IT!!!!! It's a decent article, and I think it's going to help penetrate the skulls-full-of-Cub-mush who are so convinced the world revolves around 1060 West Addison. We'll just have to do something about that "desolate" neighborhood around the Cell in order to get some folks' attention. On second thought...maybe the author needs to check out the place and see for himself Bridgeport isn't as "desolate" as his foolish view thinks.

SpammySosa
05-28-2005, 01:20 AM
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50891&highlight=joy+sox+buehrle