PDA

View Full Version : Cubbies Are On A Fire!

DrCrawdad
05-25-2005, 11:13 AM
The headlines read, "CUBS STARTING TO HEAT UP" and "CUBS WIN 3RD STRAIGHT." So, the Cubbies are on FIRE! Right?

I've heard from quite a few Cubbie fan friends how the Sox have not played any tough opponents yet. "We'll see how the Sox do when they have to play good teams, unlike the lowly teams they've been feasting on..."

Of course, we know that the Sox HAVE beat good teams (MN, BLT) and part of the reason the Sox AL Central opponents have poor records is BECAUSE the Sox have beat them.

If you hear this crap from Cubbie fans, ask them to name the series that the Cubbies have won from teams with a better than .500 record.

Wait for a pause...
Wait some more...
Still waiting...
The answer is that the Cubbies have not won a series against any over .500 team.

And the NL Central is the worst division in baseball.

AZChiSoxFan
05-25-2005, 11:19 AM
The headlines read, "CUBS STARTING TO HEAT UP" and "CUBS WIN 3RD STRAIGHT." So, the Cubbies are on FIRE! Right?

I've heard from quite a few Cubbie fan friends how the Sox have not played any tough opponents yet. "We'll see how the Sox do when they have to play good teams, unlike the lowly teams they've been feasting on..."

Of course, we know that the Sox HAVE beat good teams (MN, BLT) and part of the reason the Sox AL Central opponents have poor records is BECAUSE the Sox have beat them.

If you hear this crap from Cubbie fans, ask them to name the series that the Cubbies have won from teams with a better than .500 record.

Wait for a pause...
Wait some more...
Still waiting...
The answer is that the Cubbies have not won a series against any over .500 team.

My first thought is to just tell them that the Sox are 12-5 vs. teams with winning records and that should shut them up. However, I have come to realize that scrub fans seem to be oblivious to facts, and will continue to spew their nonsense, regardless of what the facts say.

TDog
05-25-2005, 11:26 AM
My first thought is to just tell them that the Sox are 12-5 vs. teams with winning records and that should shut them up. However, I have come to realize that scrub fans seem to be oblivious to facts, and will continue to spew their nonsense, regardless of what the facts say.

Problem is, the Sox don't have any wins this season against teams with better records than theirs.

seanpmurphy
05-25-2005, 11:26 AM
I'll be at the urinal tonight for the Astros game, and I'm definitely wearing my Sox gear. Not that I'm an instigator or anything, I mean, I did see handfuls of flub fans at Sox-O's games.

Can't wait for someone to try and argue you with me. The arsenal provided from the collective interests of everyone on these boards is more than enough firepower. Even though I think being a cubs fan requires you to be vaccinated against things like reality and the truth.

Wish me luck in witnessing the cubs fail to sweep one of the worst road teams in baseball.

cheeses_h_rice
05-25-2005, 11:31 AM
I'll be at the urinal tonight for the Astros game, and I'm definitely wearing my Sox gear. Not that I'm an instigator or anything, I mean, I did see handfuls of flub fans at Sox-O's games.

Can't wait for someone to try and argue you with me. The arsenal provided from the collective interests of everyone on these boards is more than enough firepower. Even though I think being a cubs fan requires you to be vaccinated against things like reality and the truth.

Wish me luck in witnessing the cubs fail to sweep one of the worst road teams in baseball.

Do us all a favor and don't wear your Sox stuff at Wrigley.

They're not playing the Sox.

Thank you.

Baby Fisk
05-25-2005, 11:33 AM
I'll be at the urinal tonight for the Astros game, and I'm definitely wearing my Sox gear. Not that I'm an instigator or anything,

How is that not being an instigator?

Uncle_Patrick
05-25-2005, 11:43 AM

We are constantly critizing Cubs fans for coming to US Cellular in their Cubbie Gear to boo the Sox. I don't know why you'd want to sink their level. No offense meant, but this the kind of stuff that Cubs fans point to and say "See, Sox fans are obsessed with the Cubs." Wouldn't it make more sense to wear and Astros hat or something?

JB98
05-25-2005, 12:38 PM
We are constantly critizing Cubs fans for coming to US Cellular in their Cubbie Gear to boo the Sox. I don't know why you'd want to sink their level. No offense meant, but this the kind of stuff that Cubs fans point to and say "See, Sox fans are obsessed with the Cubs." Wouldn't it make more sense to wear and Astros hat or something?

I think it would make more sense to just scalp the tickets for profit and stay the hell out of the Urinal. I wouldn't be caught dead in that place. If people want to see National League baseball, go to Milwaukee or St. Louis. In those two cities, they have a better team than the Cubs, a better stadium than the Cubs and better fans than the Cubs. Screw the Cubs.

Dick Allen
05-25-2005, 12:41 PM

Wait for a pause...
Wait some more...
Still waiting...

And the NL Central is the worst division in baseball.Instead of asking them a question that's too tough for them, just tell them to either say something intelligent or don't say anything at all, preferrably the latter.

dcb33
05-25-2005, 01:18 PM

Wait for a pause...
Wait some more...
Still waiting...

If the Cubs fan argument on why the Sox suck is they haven't beaten any good teams, they are admitting that their own team is terrible since we beat them. BRILLIANT!

I don't know why the papers are getting their panties all tied up in knots over the Cubs recent "hot" streak. Come on, they've been beating up on the Astros who are a terrible 2-21 on the road. No pride should be taken over a win streak at the expense of an opponent that pitiful.

kittle42
05-25-2005, 01:58 PM
Do us all a favor and don't wear your Sox stuff at Wrigley.

They're not playing the Sox.

Thank you.

Bah. What's wrong with going to a baseball game because you enjoy baseball and wearing the hat or jersey of the team you support?

itsnotrequired
05-25-2005, 02:03 PM
Bah. What's wrong with going to a baseball game because you enjoy baseball and wearing the hat or jersey of the team you support?

I'm with you on this. If you wear Sox gear all the time, why wouldn't you wear it to a baseball game? Because its the Cubs? Nonsense. I've seen all kinds of baseball hats at the Cell of teams that weren't playing at the time. Astros, Braves, Mariners, you name it.

Now, wearing the hat just to rile up fans is another story...

seanpmurphy
05-25-2005, 02:06 PM
I'm with you on this. If you wear Sox gear all the time, why wouldn't you wear it to a baseball game? Because its the Cubs? Nonsense. I've seen all kinds of baseball hats at the Cell of teams that weren't playing at the time. Astros, Braves, Mariners, you name it.

Now, wearing the hat just to rile up fans is another story...

It's a rare occasion someone sees me when I'm not in a Sox hat.....I forgot to teal part of my original post. Why would I want a bunch of drunken, smelly Cubs fans getting in my face? If they have a problem with my hat, **** them.

StockdaleForVeep
05-25-2005, 02:11 PM

Wait for a pause...
Wait some more...
Still waiting...

Maybe the fire is the sage the score reported the cubs burning in the clubhouse\dougout prior to the second cubs\sox game?

seanpmurphy
05-25-2005, 02:11 PM

1.) I don't really follow the Astros, therefore, do not have an Astros hat.
2.) See bold script. Since when did anyone care what a stupid cubs fan thinks/says? I sure as hell don't
3.) I don't care where I'm at, I see nothing wrong with showing my Sox pride. If Cubs fans want to wear their stuff to the Cell, let them. I think it's dumb but I get over it in like a half second.
4.) As for instigating, I was joking. Sorry I didn't teal. That would be sinking to their level. I just want to watch some baseball and get the hell out.

Uncle_Patrick
05-25-2005, 02:40 PM
1.) I don't really follow the Astros, therefore, do not have an Astros hat.
2.) See bold script. Since when did anyone care what a stupid cubs fan thinks/says? I sure as hell don't
3.) I don't care where I'm at, I see nothing wrong with showing my Sox pride. If Cubs fans want to wear their stuff to the Cell, let them. I think it's dumb but I get over it in like a half second.
4.) As for instigating, I was joking. Sorry I didn't teal. That would be sinking to their level. I just want to watch some baseball and get the hell out.

Like I said, I meant no offense. I'm not telling you to worry about what Cubs fans think, I was just pointing out that was how they get the idea. From your original post, I got the impression that you were looking to provoke some sort of confrontation, which is the impression I get from the morons who show up in their Cubs gear at US Cellular on Monday nights. Sorry I misinterpreted. I just think that there is a difference between "showing your pride" (wearing a hat or shirt) and being obnoxious (booing loudly when your team isn't even playing and provoking other fans). Just because Cubs fans show up at our stadium to be obnoxious, I would hope the Sox fans wouldn't stoop to that level to do the same at Wrigley.

cheeses_h_rice
05-25-2005, 02:44 PM

Fine. Then I don't want to hear people like complain one iota when Flubbie drillrods invade US Cellular when the Sox aren't playing their team.

Me, I prefer Chinese walls between the teams. I don't even want to think about the Flubs when the Sox are playing someone else, and it's puzzling to see so many idiots at the Cell sporting their cuddly Baby Blue. The opposite also applies.

MUsoxfan
05-25-2005, 02:46 PM
I hate seeing Cub hats at the Cell unless the Cubs are on the field there. I don't ever wear my Sox stuff to the Crumbling Confines unless the Sox are on the field there. I hate the Cubs, but I don't openly cheer against them at Wrigley Stadium unless they're playing the Sox or Brewers.

kittle42
05-25-2005, 04:23 PM
Fine. Then I don't want to hear people like complain one iota when Flubbie drillrods invade US Cellular when the Sox aren't playing their team.

I completely agree with you and have stated the same sentiment regarding people at the Cell wearing Cub gear in past threads.

SOXSINCE'70
05-25-2005, 04:44 PM

They're kind of like the maggott that writes for the Scum Times.
You know the one;he'd never let facts get in the way of a good story.
(Hint: he is one of the most hated writers on WSI.Some call him
"The Ultimate Wind Sock").

rwcescato
05-26-2005, 08:29 AM

A scrub fan of mine keeps bragging how the Sox barely beat the scrubs. I keep telling him that we won 2 out of 3. I guess he thinks winning 1 game means they are going to the WS.

Hitmen77
05-26-2005, 09:12 AM
Astros beat the Cubs for only their 3rd road victory this season. Are Cub fans and the media still saying today that the Cubs are "turning their season around"? Now they have 4 games against the mighty Rockies. So, get ready for some more media gushing over wins against pathetic teams.

Dan H
05-26-2005, 09:56 AM
Every time the Cubs win two or three in a row, their reality-challenged fans think they're going to the World Series. It happens every year, every decade, every century. Telling them the NL Central is the worst, true as that is, won't shut them up. The Sox in the World Series might, though it will take more than three wins in a row for the White Sox accomplish that feat.

PatK
05-26-2005, 10:14 AM
This guy across the street from my girlfriend is a HUGE Cubs fan and has been going out of his way to avoid me because of how good the Sox are doing.

Although I briefly talked to him yesterday, and when he brought up the old "they haven't beaten anybody good" line, I quickly threw out "you're right, they did beat the Cubs 2 out of 3".

Always shuts them up.

seanpmurphy
05-26-2005, 10:46 AM
Like I said, I meant no offense. I'm not telling you to worry about what Cubs fans think, I was just pointing out that was how they get the idea. From your original post, I got the impression that you were looking to provoke some sort of confrontation, which is the impression I get from the morons who show up in their Cubs gear at US Cellular on Monday nights. Sorry I misinterpreted. I just think that there is a difference between "showing your pride" (wearing a hat or shirt) and being obnoxious (booing loudly when your team isn't even playing and provoking other fans). Just because Cubs fans show up at our stadium to be obnoxious, I would hope the Sox fans wouldn't stoop to that level to do the same at Wrigley.

It's cool. It was a pretty good game to go and watch for the most part. Wore my hat, dealt with ignorant Cub fan remarks most of the game. Outside of making negative (but accurate) comments about Cub players, I really wasn't cheering the Astros on, with the exception of the Ensberg homerun just cause he was on my fantasy team.

In all honesty, this is something I'd never do again. I went with my gf who is an Astros/Sox fan and her friend who is a Cubs fan. Normally just being at a game I would have enjoyed myself but it was chilly, and the 2 ladies behind me were annoying. Plus not getting excited over either team is kind of weak. Oh well, I didn't pay for the tickets. Lessons learned the hard way are those learned for sure.

Uncle_Patrick
05-26-2005, 11:08 AM
In all honesty, this is something I'd never do again.

That reminders me of a Bill Hicks qoute: "I go to dance clubs about once a year just to remind myself why I never go to dance clubs."

I went to Wrigley last year for a work outing. It was probably the first time I'd been there in 4 or 5 years. It was a good reminder why I don't go more often.

soxGirl14
05-26-2005, 02:27 PM
I just think that there is a difference between "showing your pride" (wearing a hat or shirt) and being obnoxious (booing loudly when your team isn't even playing and provoking other fans). Just because Cubs fans show up at our stadium to be obnoxious, I would hope the Sox fans wouldn't stoop to that level to do the same at Wrigley.

There was a group of guys in our section next to us who had their Sox hats and shirts on and they were those obnoxious ones. Its one thing to go to the game becuase its baseball and the sox are away at a game, but its another thing to just root for the Astros crazy like they were doing because it was against the cubs. Yeah it was nice when I wasntthe only one standing up and cheering for my Astros..but I had an Astros shirt on, not a Sox shirt, I actually came to see them, regardless if they won or lose..unlike those group of guys who came to see the Cubs lose.

But, I'll agree with Sean, never again. Its so hard to enjoy the game when everyone around you is getting up and down for a beer (cubs players go for xrays as often as cubs fans go for beers...either during the innings or after the game) or just socializing. I'm sorry, I actually paid a decent amount of money for my seats and I want to watch the game and not be annoyed by stupid people. It just has me counting down the days to be back at Cellular Field on Monday!

Not only that, walking into the Field, some lady selling shirts seriously ran up to me and was trying to sell me a cubs shirt on and telling me i needed a wardrobe change since i had an astros shirt on, and she seriously wouldnt give up....