PDA

View Full Version : Cub front page dominance in Cubune getting back on track

Hangar18
05-25-2005, 10:41 AM
The SOX red hot start and surge to 1st place and pressure from the Fanbase,
has forced both papers to stop ignoring the SOX, and put them on the front
pages, instead of the sub -500 cubs. For about 2 weeks, weve enjoyed
the front/back page glamour, but the last 3 days have either been cub or negative related again.

I noticed in Mondays Cubune, there was a HUUUUUUUUGE picture of the Messiah, with the blaring headline "MESSAGE SENT". What Message? The SOX were the ones who just took 2 games out of 3, and wouldve swept
had Ozz not gotten an brain cramp and put in worst-pitcher-in-bullpen-Fizzcaino. I watched that game, and though The Messiah kept SOX hitters
from scoring again til the 9th, he was hardly worthy of the blaring headlines.
He got very lucky, as a sox Rally was snuffed out by a scorching line-drive
that scores more runs, but instead became a doubleplay. The Messiah was also to pad his strikeout totals by getting the pitcher to "strikeout" a few times during the game to end rallies. Nice. Thats like striking your grandma out "Grandma was ahead in the count 2-0, but I worked her inside with a couple of nasty curveballs on the corner, and then I smoked her with a high fastball away, she cant touch that". Note how WGN kept showing those schmucks taping up those "k's", even though McCarthy had as many/more than Messiah? Ozzie lost us the game more than the Messiah won it, period.

Sox lost on Monday and the blaring headline? "LOSING STEAM". Ok, Garland lost for the first time, but not a badly pitched game, something weve been accustomed to with our light-hitting offense. But I knew
with that win by the other team, they would get the cover page today, again. Sox just have to keep winning , and keep winning.

skottyj242
05-25-2005, 10:44 AM
Hangar, are you ever in a good mood?

Baby Fisk
05-25-2005, 10:47 AM
Sox lost on Monday and the blaring headline? "LOSING STEAM".
That is laughable and sad. Laughable for being so ludicrously over the top, and sad because a hometown paper seems to relish it so much when the Sox lose. Meh, it's the Cubune. Hangar can you seriously expect any better from the Official Cubs Newsletter? Just don't go near heavy machinery when you get so irate.

Hangar18
05-25-2005, 10:48 AM
Hangar, are you ever in a good mood?

hehe heh, coming from mr. AJ & Carl are jerks? :smile:

itsnotrequired
05-25-2005, 10:55 AM
I can't wait for the coverage in a few days after the Cubs rack up some victories over the mighty Astros and Rockies. Before playing the Sox, they had a series with Pittsburgh. Do the Cubs ever play any real teams?

Dick Allen
05-25-2005, 11:11 AM
I can't wait for the coverage in a few days after the Cubs rack up some victories over the mighty Astros and Rockies. Before playing the Sox, they had a series with Pittsburgh. Do the Cubs ever play any real teams?Yeah, June 24-26.

Hangar18
05-25-2005, 11:27 AM
Yeah, June 24-26.

Good one! Safe to say the other team will dominate the headlines
for the next couple weeks ......... This could be a good thing, the SOX
can quietly gain MORE ground on the Twinks, so when we meet the Blue
Corporation again June 24th, the Chicago Media/National Media will be
so in cublust again when they "soar" to 5 games above .500, they'll forget
we are actually in 1st place .......... ....

Jerko
05-25-2005, 11:30 AM
I can't wait for the coverage in a few days after the Cubs rack up some victories over the mighty Astros and Rockies. Before playing the Sox, they had a series with Pittsburgh. Do the Cubs ever play any real teams?

That's what gets me mad about people who complain about the Sox with the ole "who have they beaten to get that record" tripe. Who the hell have the Cubs (or Twins, or anybody else) played? I venture to guess the Sox would have an even BETTER record if they played the cubs' schedule so far.

pcp1960
05-25-2005, 11:37 AM
When I saw the headline yesterday " Losing Steam" I just laughed. Garland loses his first game and he is losing steam? I am a new member to this group and a die-hard White Sox fan. Until I found this site, I wouldn't have even noticed that headline. But yesterday it just jumped right out at me. I thought I was aware of the media in this town, but I wasn't. Thanks to this site, I am more aware of what is going on.

itsnotrequired
05-25-2005, 11:40 AM
Yeah, June 24-26.

Zing!

Let's see how their west coast road trip plays out when the face the Dodgers and Padres at the start of June.

Actually, it looks like they'll have some rough spots coming up. Their schedule has them playing Florida and Atlanta back-to-back twice this season.

Whatever...

voodoochile
05-25-2005, 11:43 AM
Not going to defend the headline, but some of this maybe due to the west coast games. The Sox games end after deadline for filing in most cases. They may save a slot for a story, but they will have laid out the sports pages before that story is filed and will make it fit the space they have left.

Sunday they lost to the flubbies (so the flubbies would get top billing) and the next two games were in LA.

This is not a huge issue at the moment, merely a logistical one...

mjharrison72
05-25-2005, 11:45 AM
Or what about the Cub-Times headline today: "Cubs starting to heat up" (http://www.suntimes.com/output/sports/cst-spt-cub25.html)

Nothing like a homestand against the worst road teams in the majors to get you close to that .500 mark, eh, losers?

Uncle_Patrick
05-25-2005, 11:50 AM
The Cubune's headlines sound like the same thing you can see on MLB boards for every AL Central team everytime the Sox lose. Aren't you used to these idiots by now? People act like the Sox' season has been this mirage so far and that every loss is blow against that illusion. Haters point at every loss like "See...I told you they aren't for real!" or "They are heading back to earth!" like if the Sox were really a good team, they'd never lose. Then the Sox win again. The Sox winning is more important to me than what all these haters have to say.

itsnotrequired
05-25-2005, 11:51 AM
Or what about the Cub-Times headline today: "Cubs starting to heat up" (http://www.suntimes.com/output/sports/cst-spt-cub25.html)

Nothing like a homestand against the worst road teams in the majors to get you close to that .500 mark, eh, losers?

Exactly. Anything less than a complete sweep should be considered a failure. Sox are up 6-0 on the Central cellar team (Royals) and the Cubs should be too. Oh wait, they already lost two to the Astros earlier this season. Win tonight will place them at 4-2 on the season series. Heating up.:rolleyes:

cheeses_h_rice
05-25-2005, 11:52 AM

Heating up, they say, eh?

Here are the Flubs' run totals from the past 7 games:

Wow. They're so right. If that isn't "heating up," I don't know what is. Hoo-boy!

:rolleyes:

Uncle_Patrick
05-25-2005, 11:54 AM
Exactly. Anything less than a complete sweep should be considered a failure. Sox are up 6-0 on the Central cellar team (Royals) and the Cubs should be too. Oh wait, they already lost two to the Astros earlier this season. Win tonight will place them at 4-2 on the season series. Heating up.:rolleyes:

I find it interesting (but not surprising) that when the Sox beat the Royals, its somehow not legitimate, but the Cubs beating the Astros (who have won a whole 2 games on the road so far) at Wrigley is a fabulous accomplishment.

itsnotrequired
05-25-2005, 12:04 PM
I find it interesting (but not surprising) that when the Sox beat the Royals, its somehow not legitimate, but the Cubs beating the Astros (who have won a whole 2 games on the road so far) at Wrigley is a fabulous accomplishment.

I'm not suprised either, Probably some extra hype since they "beat" Clemens.

Where's Horesmaster Fred when you need him?:D:

bobj4400
05-25-2005, 12:05 PM

Look at the NL Central pile of garbage...those teams are so bad it isnt even funny. Outside of the Cardinals, there isnt another team with a chance of playing .500 baseball this year...

Irishsox1
05-25-2005, 12:06 PM
Good one! Safe to say the other team will dominate the headlines
for the next couple weeks ......... This could be a good thing, the SOX
can quietly gain MORE ground on the Twinks, so when we meet the Blue
Corporation again June 24th, the Chicago Media/National Media will be
so in cublust again when they "soar" to 5 games above .500, they'll forget
we are actually in 1st place .......... ....

You are right on the numbers with the Tribune and the Tribune Corporations ridiculous coverage of the White Sox. The Tribune's coverage of the Sox is pathetic and is done in a couple of ways.

1. Make the losses much bigger than they actually are.
2. Make the wins not that big of a deal, often getting pushed to page four.
3. Write about how unsafe the area around U.S. Cellular is.
4. Write about the low attendance and then compare it to Wrigley.
5. Overcover and make a bigger deal about any "negative" story about the White Sox.
6. Slip in negative comments about the Sox in the Tempo section or non-White Sox related articles. See Tuesdays story about Boers & Bernstein: Greenstein mentions that no one was calling about the Sox, only interest in the Cubs.
7. Hire a guy who says he's a Sox fan (Downey), but really he's another corporate soul-less sell out who will write anything to keep his job. Of course Moronetti is worse, but you can tell he writes whatever he wants (often because it's poorly written and the subject matter is usually off the wall).

On the whole, the coverage of the White Sox by the Tribune is one of the worst conflicts of interest with the Chicago media that I've ever seen. But most people don't care, they feel that its just sports...who cares? Well, I care, and I sick and f**king tired of the Tribune and all of their Cubbie propaganda.

Uncle_Patrick
05-25-2005, 12:16 PM
I'm not suprised either, Probably some extra hype since they "beat" Clemens.

Where's Horesmaster Fred when you need him?:D:

Did someone mention the Horsemaster?

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=2740

MrRoboto83
05-25-2005, 12:17 PM
By the time the flubs play the Sox in June they will be far under the .500 mark, check out their june schedule

http://chicago.cubs.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/schedule/index.jsp?c_id=chc&m=6&y=2005

:whiner: Flub Fans Weep

TDog
05-25-2005, 12:19 PM
Look at the NL Central pile of garbage...those teams are so bad it isnt even funny. Outside of the Cardinals, there isnt another team with a chance of playing .500 baseball this year...

Because NL Central teams play most of their games against each other, the Cubs and Brewers have a shot at playing above .500

seanpmurphy
05-25-2005, 12:22 PM
By the time the flubs play the Sox in June they will be far under the .500 mark, check out their june schedule

http://chicago.cubs.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/schedule/index.jsp?c_id=chc&m=6&y=2005

:whiner: Flub Fans Weep

After looking at that schedule, if things keep going the way they have for the cubs and these other teams, the Cubs are gonna be lucky to win 5 games all month. But that's just my totally biased opinion.

maurice
05-25-2005, 12:53 PM
Prior gives up 3 runs = "message sent."
Garland gives up 3 runs = "losing steam."

Nope, no bias there.

daveeym
05-25-2005, 01:28 PM
That's what gets me mad about people who complain about the Sox with the ole "who have they beaten to get that record" tripe. Who the hell have the Cubs (or Twins, or anybody else) played? I venture to guess the Sox would have an even BETTER record if they played the cubs' schedule so far. No ****, go check out the american league pitching stats. The central has 4 of the top 5 teams in ERA and the O's and Angels round out the top half.

JB98
05-25-2005, 01:32 PM
Not going to defend the headline, but some of this maybe due to the west coast games. The Sox games end after deadline for filing in most cases. They may save a slot for a story, but they will have laid out the sports pages before that story is filed and will make it fit the space they have left.

Sunday they lost to the flubbies (so the flubbies would get top billing) and the next two games were in LA.

The deadlines are a huge issue at every newspaper. I design the sports pages for the Aurora paper, and we've had to put the Sox on page four each of the last two nights, while the Cubs have been on the front page. Reason: the front page is color, and I have to finish all my color pages by midnight. Logistically, we just can't put the Sox on the front page when we can't be certain the game will be over by midnight. On black and white pages, I have until 1 a.m. Fortunately, the Sox ended it in 11 innings last night, or else we may not have had the story at all.

Our sports editor (a Cubs fan) said to me the other night he'd rather have Sox-Angels on the cover than Cubs-Astros, but he really had no choice.

Dick Allen
05-25-2005, 01:38 PM
Leave it to Handsome Mike Kiley, head Cub cheerleader at the Cub-Times, to keep everything in perspective.

skottyj242
05-25-2005, 01:43 PM
hehe heh, coming from mr. AJ & Carl are jerks? :smile:

You got me pretty good buddy.

itsnotrequired
05-25-2005, 01:56 PM
The deadlines are a huge issue at every newspaper. I design the sports pages for the Aurora paper, and we've had to put the Sox on page four each of the last two nights, while the Cubs have been on the front page. Reason: the front page is color, and I have to finish all my color pages by midnight. Logistically, we just can't put the Sox on the front page when we can't be certain the game will be over by midnight. On black and white pages, I have until 1 a.m. Fortunately, the Sox ended it in 11 innings last night, or else we may not have had the story at all.

Our sports editor (a Cubs fan) said to me the other night he'd rather have Sox-Angels on the cover than Cubs-Astros, but he really had no choice.

Well when the Cubs are out on the west coast at the end of May / beginning of June and the Sox are at home, we'll be counting on nothing but color Sox covers out in Aurora.:D:

Banix12
05-25-2005, 03:22 PM

I figured this is exactly what happened, especially last night when the sox won a great game in extra innings at just around midnight central time. The tribune gets its early morning edition out at about 2:30-3:00 am so by the time sox win they are usually printing the paper already. It doesn't give them time to get into any in depth coverage or other analysis on the team playing out West.

Orta 4-6-3
05-25-2005, 04:35 PM

Nope, no bias there.

Excellent post! The above is the best, most concise summary of baseball coverage in the media! The bias is in the tone more than the volume.

cheeses_h_rice
05-25-2005, 04:44 PM

Nope, no bias there.

The "message sent" headline was referring to Prior's e-mail correspondence with McCarthy this season, I think.</devilsadvocate>

PaleHoseGeorge
05-25-2005, 04:49 PM
The "message sent" headline was referring to Prior's e-mail correspondence with McCarthy this season, I think.</devilsadvocate>

Yes. And the "losing steam" headline was referring to Garland flying a jet airliner to California rather than riding a train, I think. </WSIadvocate>

:wink:

:knue
"Dammit! That WSI is a tough crowd!"

MUScholar21
05-25-2005, 04:57 PM
I think I'm going to start a pool- "When Will Hangar have an aneurysm?"

Chill out man. All of us are plenty aware of the media bias in this town. There is no need to constantly count articles in each paper for each team every day. You need to relax, and just enjoy the Sox.

Hangar18
05-25-2005, 05:06 PM
Yes. And the "losing steam" headline was referring to Garland flying a jet airliner to California rather than riding a train, I think. </WSIadvocate>

:wink:

:knue
"Dammit! That WSI is a tough crowd!"

(bursts into laughter, others in office look over, regains composure)

JB98
05-25-2005, 05:40 PM
Well when the Cubs are out on the west coast at the end of May / beginning of June and the Sox are at home, we'll be counting on nothing but color Sox covers out in Aurora.:D:

You can take that to the bank, my friend.
:cool:

Hitmen77
05-25-2005, 09:23 PM
Speaking of media coverage, did anyone catch the 6:00 Channel 5 news sports segment? Did I miss something? Because it looked like they didn't mention the Sox at all! Their top story was how the Cubs are turning their season around (apparently by beating up on a team in freefall), next they talked about Eddy Curry, then they had a story about the Chicago Rush and that was it.

JB98
05-25-2005, 09:37 PM
Speaking of media coverage, did anyone catch the 6:00 Channel 5 news sports segment? Did I miss something? Because it looked like they didn't mention the Sox at all! Their top story was how the Cubs are turning their season around (apparently by beating up on a team in freefall), next they talked about Eddy Curry, then they had a story about the Chicago Rush and that was it.

After tonight's loss, I reckon the Cubs are "tumbling toward fourth." The Cubs are closer to the Reds and Astros in the standings than they are to the Cardinals. Pity the poor mediots. They have delusions of North Side grandeur after a couple of wins over hapless Houston.

Whitesox029
05-26-2005, 02:14 AM
I noticed in Mondays Cubune, there was a HUUUUUUUUGE picture of the Messiah, with the blaring headline "MESSAGE SENT". What Message? The SOX were the ones who just took 2 games out of 3, and wouldve swept
had Ozz not gotten an brain cramp and put in worst-pitcher-in-bullpen-Fizzcaino.
The only message I received from Sunday's game was that the Cubs can't win a ballgame unless their starter goes the distance.

white sox bill
05-26-2005, 07:34 AM
Yea Henry I pointed out to my cub friend regarding Garland sinking fast, I told him that if that was prior's first loss the headline would read "One loss, no big deal"

JB98
05-26-2005, 01:20 PM
The only message I received from Sunday's game was that the Cubs can't win a ballgame unless their starter goes the distance.

I think the "Message sent" thing was supposed to be a play on words about the e-mail correspondence between McCarthy and Prior. The headline wasn't very good, though, because McCarthy pitched well. It wasn't like he got served by Prior or something.