PDA

View Full Version : Sox in Texas

SaltyPretzel
05-25-2005, 09:06 AM
I'm headed up to Texas this weekend for the series against the Rangers. We're probably going to Six Flags on Friday before the game. Is there anything else to do around the park or in the Dallas area in general? We're staying in Ft. Worth. Thanks. :smile:

soxGirl14
05-25-2005, 09:11 AM
if you get a chance you should drive down to the austin/san antonia are... its absolutely gorgeous!

soxGirl14
05-25-2005, 09:18 AM
Heres a few places of interest..
Legends of the Game Baseball Museum at Ameriquest Field

Also check out stockyards rodeo... indoor rodeos every friday and sat night.
http://www.cowtowncoliseum.com/

Also, if you remember the tv show Dallas, you can tour the mansion, its out in Plano which is a suburb of Ft. Worth
http://www.southforkranch.com/

Theres the Fort Worth Bontanical Garden
http://www.fwbg.com/

Fort Worth Museum of Science and History
http://www.fwmuseum.org/home/index.html

SaltyPretzel
05-25-2005, 09:32 AM
Cool, thanks! Do you know of any good restaurants or bars around the ballpark?

harwar
05-25-2005, 09:58 AM
Its been years since i was last in the metroplex but Billy Bobs in Fort Worth was always a lot of fun with everything that texas is known for there .. drinking,line dancing,bullriding,country music,fighting,pretty girls,and lotsa cowboy hats.The place is HUGE.
A place called "deep ellum" used be the place to go to listen to live bands(rock & alt.) and meet young locals.
Also,a trip to the aforementioned "south fork ranch" is worth the trip just because its a typical texas style ranch from the big-money oil days.
I was dragged to a phil donahue show there once that was broadcasting live from that location and i was one of about 8 guys in a sea of 150 screaming women.I'm still recovering from that.

soxGirl14
05-25-2005, 10:06 AM
I grew up in Houston, so we only went to Dallas every now and then, usually on our drives up to Oklahoma so I dont know much about restaraunts in the area.

soxGirl14
05-25-2005, 10:08 AM
Oh and just a heads up...be ready for the HEAT.
I was in Lubbock, Texas last weekend and it was in the 90s...and DRY.

So pack lots of shorts and tanktops...you might look like a fool boaring a plane in Illinois, but once you step off the plane and onto that jetway to walk up to the terminal, you'll feel that heat instantly.

Have a good trip! I'm jealous!

Saracen
05-25-2005, 10:13 AM
The ballpark in Arlington is pretty much mid-way between Dallas & Ft. Worth - Arlington is a pure entertainment suburb, with Six Flags, a water park, strip clubs and chain restaurants. I don't really know of any specific cool bars or restaurants around there, it's mostly chain stuff.

Ft. Worth has a very nice downtown with lots of restaurants, great museums (check out the Modern or the Kimball) and if you want to do the touristy Texas thing, someone mentioned Billy Bob's. The Ft. Worth Botanical Gardens really are fantastic, best I've ever seen, great place.

The museums in Dallas aren't as great, but we have Deep Ellum right near downtown for live music and bars with the punk/alt crowd, and bars and restaurants on Greenville Avenue as well. Another thing to do in Dallas is check out the Sixth Floor Museum where Kennedy was shot.

It was HOT last week but it looks like you'll have some decent temps this weekend to do outdoor stuff. And don't expect to see lots of cowboy boots & hats or anything, it really isn't like that down here. :smile:

DaleJRFan
05-25-2005, 10:56 AM
Cool, thanks! Do you know of any good restaurants or bars around the ballpark?

Chamberlains on Belt Line and Preston. Best steak house in America, period.

thepaulbowski
05-25-2005, 12:22 PM
Go to the Fort Worth Stockyards. There are a bunch of bars, shops and what not there. It is a pretty good time.

AZChiSoxFan
05-25-2005, 01:03 PM
The ballpark in Arlington is pretty much mid-way between Dallas & Ft. Worth - Arlington is a pure entertainment suburb, with Six Flags, a water park, strip clubs and chain restaurants. I don't really know of any specific cool bars or restaurants around there, it's mostly chain stuff.

Wasn't it in the late '80s when Billy Martin got beat up in a strip club in Arlington?