PDA

View Full Version : Question for long-time Sox fans - fireworks

Sox Blue 69-70
05-25-2005, 07:26 AM
This one probably gets filed under "useless information," but I was interested if any of you might know if the fireworks aspect of the scoreboard has always been used ever since Veeck introduced it in 1960. I have an audio tape of a Sox-Twins game from September, 1975. The Sox hit two home runs in the game (Jorge Orta and Deron Johnson), but I'm not able to hear any foreworks going off to salute the two dingers. I had read in one of Dan H's books that the fireworks displays were cut back during the lean years of the early 70s, and guessed that maybe in some instances they weren't shot off at all?
Thanks.

tebman
05-25-2005, 10:01 AM
This one probably gets filed under "useless information," but I was interested if any of you might know if the fireworks aspect of the scoreboard has always been used ever since Veeck introduced it in 1960. I have an audio tape of a Sox-Twins game from September, 1975. The Sox hit two home runs in the game (Jorge Orta and Deron Johnson), but I'm not able to hear any foreworks going off to salute the two dingers. I had read in one of Dan H's books that the fireworks displays were cut back during the lean years of the early 70s, and guessed that maybe in some instances they weren't shot off at all?
Thanks.

WSI's intrepid correspondent Lip tracked down the first time the big board launched fireworks in 1960. The details are at this link (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=47542&highlight=minoso+scoreboard).

I don't know about the fireworks not being used during those lean years. I attended some games during that time and saw the board do its thing. There's no doubt that the early 70s were very lean indeed. The Sox were not able to make their next payroll at the time Veeck bought the team in 1975 (read the epilogue in "Veeck As In Wreck" for details). But the big board and the fireworks were one of the few assets the Sox had, so it would surprise me if there really was a time when they weren't used.

tlebar318
05-25-2005, 10:13 AM
As I remember it from living there in that time frame the Bridgeport neighborhood asked that they not be set off after a certain time of night-complaints about them being too noisy-- I think it was 9 or 10pm maybe? I was only about 8 years old at the time but I think I am remembering this correctly. Can anyone else confirm this?

fado
05-25-2005, 10:22 AM
Actually, the residents at the senior citizens home just to the south of the ballpark asked that they not use the big shells that are now used after the intros after 10pm. Which is one of the reasons that fireworks nights were moved up to a 6pm start IIRC.

tlebar318
05-25-2005, 10:53 AM
Actually, the residents at the senior citizens home just to the south of the ballpark asked that they not use the big shells that are now used after the intros after 10pm. Which is one of the reasons that fireworks nights were moved up to a 6pm start IIRC.

Ok that makes sense. I think I remember being outside during the early 70's and seeing the fireworks but not really hearing them. So I guess they just toned them down after 10pm then?

TDog
05-25-2005, 11:06 AM
I had a Sunday season ticket plan during high school years -- 1973 to 1975. There was one season in there when the Sox didn't shoot off fireworks. The Tribune reported that there was a problem with the supplier.

Lip Man 1
05-25-2005, 12:43 PM
The cut back on fireworks during Veeck's second reign was real, they simply could not afford to keep reloading them and shooting them off. After two home runs it pretty much was dead.

By the way the game in question was played on September 6, 1975. It was Jim Katt's 20th win of the season, he beat Bert Blyleven.

Lip

TDog
05-25-2005, 12:46 PM
The cut back on fireworks during Veeck's second reign was real, they simply could not afford to keep reloading them and shooting them off. After two home runs it pretty much was dead....

Lip

No doubt. Money during the Veeck era was quite scarce. But he bought the team after the 1975 season.

Fake Chet Lemon
05-25-2005, 12:47 PM
I had a Sunday season ticket plan during high school years -- 1973 to 1975. There was one season in there when the Sox didn't shoot off fireworks. The Tribune reported that there was a problem with the supplier.

Yes, the supplier probably wasn't getting PAID.

Lip Man 1
05-25-2005, 12:54 PM
TDog:

Correct but money was also very short in the final year of Allyn's ownership. He was deeply in debt and to his everlasting credit he went with his heart and sold to Veeck rather then sell the team to the A.L. which would have assumed all his debts (and then moved the Sox to Seattle to appease King County and get them to drop all court action against MLB over the relocation of the Pilots to Milwaukee.)

Allyn didn't do the popular thing, other A.L. owners were upset with him but he stuck to his guns and helped keep the Sox in Chicago.

Lip

Sox Blue 69-70
05-25-2005, 01:20 PM
The cut back on fireworks during Veeck's second reign was real, they simply could not afford to keep reloading them and shooting them off. After two home runs it pretty much was dead.

By the way the game in question was played on September 6, 1975. It was Jim Katt's 20th win of the season, he beat Bert Blyleven.

Lip

That's the one. Bill Mercer and Harry Caray on the call.