PDA

View Full Version : Trade Idea: Joe Randa

White Sox Josh
05-24-2005, 04:24 PM
What does everyone think about the Sox Getting Joe Randa? I would love to see him on the Southside. He has been extremely consistent throughout his career and we know he can hit at The Cell. I think he will be traded considering that Cincy is out of it. He doesn't make that much and I think he could be had for a Joe Crede and a mid-level prospect.

MUsoxfan
05-24-2005, 04:30 PM
He doesn't make that much and I think he could be had for a Joe Crede and a mid-level prospect.

Unfortunately we're not the Cubs and teams don't let us flat-out steal from them.

White Sox Josh
05-24-2005, 05:19 PM
Unfortunately we're not the Cubs and teams don't let us flat-out steal from them.What would the Reds want? What about Crede(Remember Kenny pleaded with Seattle for him not be involved in the Garcia trade) and a midlevel Pitching prospect like a Felix Diaz or maybe Neal Cotts.

JimH
05-24-2005, 05:24 PM
Crede has 10 times the trade value of Joe Randa.

White Sox Josh
05-24-2005, 05:35 PM
Joe Randa is what this team needs. He is a very good Contact Hitter and can put up decent HR totals. He is also one of the best with the glove. Crede doesn't have it right now but a lot of teams would want him based on potential. hell with the firesale the Reds are gonna have you might be able to get another player of value to.

shoota
05-24-2005, 06:25 PM
What does everyone think about the Sox Getting Joe Randa? I would love to see him on the Southside. He has been extremely consistent throughout his career and we know he can hit at The Cell. I think he will be traded considering that Cincy is out of it. He doesn't make that much and I think he could be had for a Joe Crede and a mid-level prospect.

That's one ridiculous suggestion. Why would you dare mess with a man who's hitting a stout .238 and possesses a leadership personality too? Crede won't be voted an All-Star by the fans since BBTN doesn't show all of his home runs, but there is no way the AL manager would keep him off his All-Star team.

shoota
05-24-2005, 06:26 PM
Joe Randa is what this team needs. He is a very good Contact Hitter and can put up decent HR totals. He is also one of the best with the glove. Crede doesn't have it right now but a lot of teams would want him based on potential. hell with the firesale the Reds are gonna have you might be able to get another player of value to.

I think this is exactly right. The Reds would jump at Crede for Randa+.

White Sox Josh
05-24-2005, 06:32 PM
That's one ridiculous suggestion. Why would you dare mess with a man who's hitting a stout .238 and possesses a leadership personality too? Crede won't be voted an All-Star by the fans since BBTN doesn't show all of his home runs, but there is no way the AL manager would keep him off his All-Star team.:tealpolice:
:tealtutor:

Lip Man 1
05-24-2005, 06:35 PM
Randa's a solid player, I'd love to have him on the team...the question is what would the Reds want for him?

Lip

White Sox Josh
05-24-2005, 07:14 PM
Randa's a solid player, I'd love to have him on the team...the question is what would the Reds want for him?

LipWell they might want a Neal Cotts and a Crede. Cotts could start for the Reds however i just am not sure where he fits in with the Sox besides being in the Bullpen( I have more faith in Walker than Cotts) THe sox have McCarthy, Adkins, and Hermy if needed to start if there is an injury.

buehrle4cy05
05-24-2005, 07:33 PM
I like this proposal. Randa always seemed to have a flare for the dramatic when he was playing the Sox with KC, having him at the hot corner would be a big help. Crede has nose-dived since he went on that hitting streak, and I wouldn't put it past Kenny to put Crede up on the block to a team like Cincy that needs some young players. Plus, the Reds did just dump Danny Graves, maybe the Sox can work out a Crede & Cotts/Diaz for Randa and Graves? Not that I really want Graves, but the Reds have something like 10 days to trade him or put him on waivers.

ND_Sox_Fan
05-24-2005, 07:43 PM
Randa = .370 OBP, .807 OPS
Crede = .300 OBP, .678 OPS

Need more be said? More consistently on base and more consistently driving the ball.

How about Defense?

Randa = .973 fielding % in 112 chances
Crede = .960 fielding % in 99 chances

Looks like a good trade to me. I don't know how much longer I can take watching Crede's long swing.

White Sox Josh
05-24-2005, 07:51 PM
Randa is a guy who will hit for less power than Crede but is much more consistent. He's just a very solid player and he would be a good fit in the clubhouse to.

White Sox Josh
05-28-2005, 10:35 AM
Randa is hitting .287 with 4 HR and 24 RBI

http://espn.go.com/i/mlb/profiles/players/5298.jpg
Trade for Me Kenny

PaulDrake
05-28-2005, 02:25 PM
Randa = .370 OBP, .807 OPS
Crede = .300 OBP, .678 OPS

Need more be said? More consistently on base and more consistently driving the ball.

How about Defense?

Randa = .973 fielding % in 112 chances
Crede = .960 fielding % in 99 chances

Looks like a good trade to me. I don't know how much longer I can take watching Crede's long swing. He actually seemed like he made some adjustments earlier in the year, but now he's back to the same old swing.

Foulke You
05-30-2005, 09:18 PM
Well they might want a Neal Cotts and a Crede. Cotts could start for the Reds however i just am not sure where he fits in with the Sox besides being in the Bullpen( I have more faith in Walker than Cotts) THe sox have McCarthy, Adkins, and Hermy if needed to start if there is an injury.
I would trade Cotts and Crede for Randa in a NY second. However, McCarthy is off limits. Randa seems like the perfect fit for this club. Veteran, great defense, contact hitter, clutch, good in the clubhouse, and he knows the AL Central to boot. Randa would go a long way towards improving the club towards a division title I think.

TheOldRoman
05-30-2005, 09:42 PM
I would trade Cotts and Crede for Randa in a NY second. However, McCarthy is off limits. Randa seems like the perfect fit for this club. Veteran, great defense, contact hitter, clutch, good in the clubhouse, and he knows the AL Central to boot. Randa would go a long way towards improving the club towards a division title I think.
Im not so sure about Randa having great defense. He has a greater fielding percentage than Crede, but that doesn't mean everything. I haven't seen Randa play that much, but I seem to remember him having limited range. Although Crede is generally overrated defensively, he is still very good, has pretty good range, and makes a lot of plays others wouldn't. Crede has saved several doubles this year on shots down the line. Even if Randa has a great fielding %, I'm not so sure I would want him if he plays the mirror image of Konerko's "matador" on every ball hit down the line. While its frustrating as hell watching Crede's daily 0 for 4 with an infield pop-out, its also frustrating watching double after double go down the first base line that would have been coralled by most other 1B. I wouldn't want that happening at 3B. too.

White Sox Josh
05-30-2005, 09:43 PM
Speaking of Randa. He had a big day going 3-4 with 3 RBI including a 2-run HR in the 2nd.

samram
05-30-2005, 10:03 PM
Look, there's no point for settling for Joe Randa at the beginning of June when there could be someone better available later, and that's assuming Crede doesn't improve. Furthermore, what do you do with Crede? The Reds would wet themselves with glee if the offer was Crede for Randa. So, do you send Joe to the minors or bench him for a guy who isn't better than he is? Finally, if the Crede haters are to be believed, he has no trade value.

The thing is, if KW wants to put a finishing touch on the team, he should be serious about it and get an impact player, not Joe Randa.

White Sox Josh
05-30-2005, 10:20 PM
Look, there's no point for settling for Joe Randa at the beginning of June when there could be someone better available later, and that's assuming Crede doesn't improve. Furthermore, what do you do with Crede? The Reds would wet themselves with glee if the offer was Crede for Randa. So, do you send Joe to the minors or bench him for a guy who isn't better than he is? Finally, if the Crede haters are to be believed, he has no trade value.

The thing is, if KW wants to put a finishing touch on the team, he should be serious about it and get an impact player, not Joe Randa.Joe Randa's OPS is .890.

Crede's is .635.

Randa is batting .291

Crede: .225

crector
05-31-2005, 12:58 AM
Crede has 10 times the trade value of Joe Randa.

How do you figure that when Crede would not be a starting 3B on most other teams? In any event, what the Sox need to help keep the lead over Minnesota is an upgrade at 3B. Adding Randa would be such an upgrade. Likewise, not having Cotts and/or Viscaino would improve the bullpen by means of addition by subtraction.

What KW needs to do is call up the Reds and offer them Crede and bullpen help for Randa.

Optipessimism
05-31-2005, 03:48 AM
How do you figure that when Crede would not be a starting 3B on most other teams? In any event, what the Sox need to help keep the lead over Minnesota is an upgrade at 3B. Adding Randa would be such an upgrade. Likewise, not having Cotts and/or Viscaino would improve the bullpen by means of addition by subtraction.

What KW needs to do is call up the Reds and offer them Crede and bullpen help for Randa.

How do you figure?

The Reds don't want to get older, they want to get younger. Randa is a veteran stopgap and since they obviously aren't going to be winning anything this year, they will drop him for what ever they can get. Especially if the player is younger, plays the same position, and has an upside to look forward to instead of an end-of-the career slump. There's no way I would offer Crede for Randa straight up, I think the Reds have proven they will take less.

crector
05-31-2005, 05:16 AM
How do you figure?

The Reds don't want to get older, they want to get younger. Randa is a veteran stopgap and since they obviously aren't going to be winning anything this year, they will drop him for what ever they can get. Especially if the player is younger, plays the same position, and has an upside to look forward to instead of an end-of-the career slump. There's no way I would offer Crede for Randa straight up, I think the Reds have proven they will take less.

Typical fan who overvalues the guys on his team while undervaluing the guys on the other teams..........

In any event, Randa is still playing very well and just why would they drop him? While the team's former GM Jim Bowden was a guy who'd trade players without receiving fairl value in return, the current GM Dan O'Brien is a pretty canny trader. As for Crede, what upside? He's consistently shown that he's a young dog who can't learn new tricks. There's no way that Crede will ever be as good a player as Randa is right now.

Vince
05-31-2005, 09:53 AM
Career numbers:

Randa: .286 BA .342 OBP .425 SLG
Crede: .252 BA .302 OBP .425 SLG

40 points of on-base % and over 30 points of BA are gonna cost ya in this day and age. I'd figure Crede and a one or two minor leaguers at the very least.

Crede is much cheaper than Randa ($400K vs $2.1 million), and Randa is only on a one-year deal. So if the Reds are looking to dump salary, they might take a little less than otherwise for him.

You lose HRs with Randa -- he averages 45 AB per HR, while Crede averages 26 AB per HR.

Foulke You
05-31-2005, 01:13 PM
In any event, Randa is still playing very well and just why would they drop him? While the team's former GM Jim Bowden was a guy who'd trade players without receiving fairl value in return, the current GM Dan O'Brien is a pretty canny trader.
Well, I don't think the Reds will just give Randa to us for nothing but what makes you think they wouldn't explore a trade with him? Randa was brought in with an eye towards the Reds possibly contending for the postseason. Now that this looks like it will most certainly not happen, I can see the Reds exploring trade possibilities with some of their veteran players in a search for young talent.

crector
05-31-2005, 11:02 PM
Well, I don't think the Reds will just give Randa to us for nothing but what makes you think they wouldn't explore a trade with him? Randa was brought in with an eye towards the Reds possibly contending for the postseason. Now that this looks like it will most certainly not happen, I can see the Reds exploring trade possibilities with some of their veteran players in a search for young talent.

I never said that they would not explore a trade with the Sox. Only that they would not give him away for not much in return.

Foulke You
06-01-2005, 02:46 AM
I never said that they would not explore a trade with the Sox. Only that they would not give him away for not much in return.
I guess how much it costs depends on how many teams are searching for a 3B at the deadline. Usually, starting pitching and bullpen help are at a premium around the interleague trade deadline...an veteran 3B could possibly be picked up relatively cheaply if KW plays his cards right. However, I do agree with you that we won't be able to swing a "Hendry-esque" where we rob them blind but as I said, you might be able to get them to part with Randa for 1 decent prospect.

Fredsox
06-01-2005, 06:30 AM
I'm not too big on trade speculation, but here's something I like about an idea like this: Randa is affordable ($2 million) and he's 35. This would mean that we'd be committed to Josh Fields at least making the roster in 06 and being the FT 3rd baseman in 07.

The question now would be why Cincy would be better off in taking Crede from us? Do they see enough upside to do this? They might as Crede is only 27 years old and making $400k.

Crede?NOOO!!!!!
06-01-2005, 06:10 PM
I have to say I'm against the Josh Fields experiment. The player he seems most similar to is the Great Joe Borchard. He has massive power numbers and a decent batting average. But considering he's abyssmal fielding 3rd baseman, can't take a walk and strikes out almost every other at-bat. how is any different than the 505 ft. homer hitting .150 batting borchard.

As not to troll, i'll have to say that Joe Randa is an average batting third baseman. Much better than we have now. However I'm in support of the Chavez trade idea. Chavez's trade stock has never been lower than it is right now. I'm willing to give up McCarthy for him but hopefully Beane would go for Gio, Casey Rojowarski(who is a moneyball type player i believe) and Crede who fits into Beane's, young players for cheap system. While you may say McCarthy isn't worth it, he is our sixth starter and considering how bad our offense is now we need all the help we can get. Just Imagine this lineup

Pods
Tadahito
Chavez
Thomas
Rowand
Konerko
Dye
Pierzyski
Uribe

That line up would be one of the best in the league to go along with our amazing pitching staff.
We should try to build on our current sucess and make this the year

TheOldRoman
06-01-2005, 06:30 PM
Pods
Tadahito
Chavez
Thomas
Rowand
Konerko
Dye
Pierzyski
Uribe

Without commenting on the Chavez trade, it is ridiculous to think he would bat 3 if he came to the Sox. When Frank is healthy, he is entrenched in the 3 hole. One the Sox, Chavez would hit no higher than 6th, and probably be 8th.

White Sox Josh
06-12-2005, 01:10 PM
Joe Randa Watch
.294 8HR 35RBI

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/images/players/mugshot/ph_120922.jpg
Get me the hell out of Cincy, Kenny!

ShoelessJoeS
06-12-2005, 01:28 PM
Joe Randa Watch
.294 8HR 35RBI

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/images/players/mugshot/ph_120922.jpg
Get me the hell out of Cincy, Kenny!
well it appears that randa can definitely hit well, hows his glove though bc from the other day, its obvious that we need someone of credes stature (glove-wise) at third

White Sox Josh
06-12-2005, 01:36 PM
well it appears that randa can definitely hit well, hows his glove though bc from the other day, its obvious that we need someone of credes stature (glove-wise) at thirdIt's very good. Maybe not quite as good as Crede's but I will definitely take the guy who hits 56 points higher on his BA.

JimH
06-12-2005, 01:46 PM

Hey Charles, just curious how you feel about the Cotts part of your statement now. Do you still think it'd be addition by subtraction? :rolleyes:

How is that Cubs blog coming along by the way?

White Sox Josh
06-12-2005, 02:55 PM
Hey Charles, just curious how you feel about the Cotts part of your statement now. Do you still think it'd be addition by subtraction? :rolleyes:

How is that Cubs blog coming along by the way?take Cotts out of it and maybe put someone like Diaz or Pollack in there.

Lip Man 1
06-12-2005, 06:57 PM
The print edition of The Sporting News this week lists the players the Reds may be fixing to dump in a month or so. Randa's name is at the top of the list.

Keep in mind he's 35 and will be a free agent next year so I wouldn't sell the house for him, but if the Reds are willing to take a prospect or two, sure...why not.

Lip