PDA

View Full Version : Even Met Fans HATE their black uniforms

Hangar18
05-24-2005, 04:02 PM
I was laughing as I sat in NY traffic on Friday afternoon. They were talking about the Mets and somehow got onto the topic of "tradition", and the caller said he loved the Mets, but he is still outraged at how ugly they look wearing black jerseys and caps. Mike & MadDog said he was right, and they kind of privately chuckled off microphone, but still loud so you could hear, and they then both said those were some pretty HORRIBLE uniforms, the Mets dont know who they are, black and blue dont match anyway, Trying too hard to be someone else, etc etc. It was Awesome how these guys LAMBASTED the Mets for looking like chumps in those uniforms. Both hosts said, to go back to the blue pinstripes, and solid blue cap and forget all the bs. After a few minutes of them and the caller railing on the Mets uniforms, they go to a commercial, and the next caller brings up another subject. But before hes finished, he also defeatedly said he really doesnt like the mish mash of uniforms they Mets have, and the black looks terrible on them he wont wear it etc.

Very very funny to hear this being talked about knowing we talked about this very recently here. I wonder if Bud is listening........

Baby Fisk
05-24-2005, 04:05 PM
The Mets have been trying to appease traditionalists (and supporters of good taste) by wearing their blue pinstripe unies with the classic blue & orange caps for Sunday home games.

The rest of the time, it's still a mix 'n' match mess. Thumbs down to the Mets in black.

Hangar18
05-24-2005, 04:14 PM
The Mets have been trying to appease traditionalists (and supporters of good taste) by wearing their blue pinstripe unies with the classic blue & orange caps for Sunday home games.

The rest of the time, it's still a mix 'n' match mess. Thumbs down to the Mets in black.

that plain white uniform........with the "METS" on the front, with black under sleeves .........eyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyychhhhhhhhh. No wonder theyre the 2nd class citizens.

skobabe8
05-24-2005, 04:14 PM
Anything black in the mets uniforms looks god awful.

Hangar18
05-24-2005, 04:17 PM
Anything black in the mets uniforms looks god awful.

If someone from MLB came up to me, and said "do us a favor, design the worst
uniforms ever for the SOX" I would add pink and tan ........with the blk and silver

Baby Fisk
05-24-2005, 04:24 PM
Like a rare ugly fish, there's a PINK and GREEN retro 83 jersey that shows up on eBay every now and then. No one knows *** it's supposed to be, but it is heinous.

TheOldRoman
05-24-2005, 04:43 PM
I was laughing as I sat in NY traffic on Friday afternoon. They were talking about the Mets and somehow got onto the topic of "tradition", and the caller said he loved the Mets, but he is still outraged at how ugly they look wearing black jerseys and caps. Mike & MadDog said he was right, and they kind of privately chuckled off microphone, but still loud so you could hear, and they then both said those were some pretty HORRIBLE uniforms, the Mets dont know who they are, black and blue dont match anyway, Trying too hard to be someone else, etc etc. It was Awesome how these guys LAMBASTED the Mets for looking like chumps in those uniforms. Both hosts said, to go back to the blue pinstripes, and solid blue cap and forget all the bs. After a few minutes of them and the caller railing on the Mets uniforms, they go to a commercial, and the next caller brings up another subject. But before hes finished, he also defeatedly said he really doesnt like the mish mash of uniforms they Mets have, and the black looks terrible on them he wont wear it etc.

Very very funny to hear this being talked about knowing we talked about this very recently here. I wonder if Bud is listening........
I think black goes with blue, but together they dont go with orange. The Mets' current jerseys are horrible. All these teams have added black to their uniforms recently, but theirs are possibly the worst. They do it because they think black sells. However, if the Mets dumped all the black in their uniforms and replaced the black alternates with 1 blue jersey, it would look great. I think they will go back to their traditional look in the next few years.

robertks61
05-24-2005, 05:32 PM
Trash the Mets black along with the Royals....

hsnterprize
05-28-2005, 01:16 AM
This ain't the first time New York sports fans have had to deal with crappy uniforms in recent years. Any of you remember the "Gorton's Fishermen" unis sported by the New York Islanders back in the mid to late 90's? It was so bad, whenever the Isles played the Rangers, fans would chant, "WE WANT FISH STICKS!!!!!"

Everyone is so more interested in marketing and promoting their product rather than putting a good team on the field. The Mets aren't that bad of a team, it's just they play across town from the Yankees. All these teams going to a black jersey is just sickening. As far as I'm concerned...if black wasn't a part of the original color scheme, don't try to add it. It'll only make the uniform look worse than it already does.

86metsghost
06-29-2005, 12:34 AM
OK, first off I'm a Mets fan since 1994 (started watching baseball), but GREAT SITE and congrats to the White Sox for an outstanding year so far.

Regarding the Mets uniforms, the black/blue/orange cap has got to be one of the ugliest caps and uniform combos in the league. The original blue with the orange Ny in the cap was probably the best uniform in the NL, mabye behind the Cardinals. When they changed the cap in 1997, Mets management assured us fans that "they werent abandoning their roots". They lied. Within 2 years, the traditional all blue caps were GONE and replaced with the monstrosity you see on the field today. Problems with the "new" Mets cap include:

Blue, orange, and black look like VOMIT when combined together, and when the players move, the logo looks PURPLE (shake blue orange and black together and youll see what I mean).

The Mets have created an identity crisis upon themselves, when there was none before.

The "all black" uniform isnt much better, but it is better than the blue/black/orange cap.

Guys, I cant standwhat the Mets have done to their uniforms. I know the Mets dont have the Yankees tradition but we have mabye the deepest history of any expansion team. The product of the great Giants/Dodgers teams, the royal blue and orange came to symbolize the heritage of NL baseball in Ny. The Mets won the 2 greatest World Series in Ny history: 1969 and 1986, without any ugly black in the uniforms, and were the most successful expansion franchise in history (won in 1st 7 years...I know the Marlins did it in 5 years and broke that record but it was unheard of in 1969 to do it). The team has a colorful history of magical moments with the blue/orange caps.

Everytime I stare at the Mets uniforms now I feel anger. Believe me when I say, us fans didnt want this. Talk to any Mets fan, 95% of them want the blue/orange cap back, but understand something: The Mets have been one of the most poorly run franchise's in baseball. They could care less what the rel fans want.

What I dont understand is, why the Mets changed their uniform. As I said, it was one of the best uniforms in the NL, and thats not just my opinion. My Angels fan friend said to me the other day "I cant believe they pass on the chance to wear the pinstripes and blue caps every night for some ugly cheap black knockoff". I didnt know what to say. It wasnt like the Astros uniform, it had class, tradition. It was simple and beautiful...beautiful Dodger blue and Giants orange, and they ripped it away from us.

If you'll also notice, the Mets blue isnt even royal anymore either. Its some cheesy electric blue and the orange is a different shade as well. Its just disgusting and hideous. It pained me to no end seeing these jerseys worn in the 2000 series against the Yankees.

Do you know why this travesty happened though? Because of our *BLEEP*bag owner, Fred Wilpon, who cares nothing more than to try and squeeze out an extra buck. He ripped the tradition out from this franchise like a rug and sold its soul to the devil for cash. He cares NOTHING for the Mets, only for making extra money by selling the black jerseys to a few 14 year old thugs.

Even though I still root for them, the Mets as far as I'm concerend have never been the same team to me. Try to imagine your White Sox adding on an alternate color...no, 3 or 4 alternate colors, and then switching them around 4 times a week. Thats the life of a Mets fan, its insane. The Royals have the exact same problem...imagine, a team named the ROYALS not wearing ROYAL and using black, unreal. "How could this happen here?" I keep asking myself. We arent the Brewers, but we act like them. The Mets have no pride.

Thanks for listening to my rant, and yes, 95% of Mets fans hate the black and want our uniforms back. It should be BANNED from MLB. Lets hope what the other guy here said is true: That the Mets and every other team in baseball will go back to their roots and ELIMINATE the black nonsense from the uniforms (unless it was there already of course, like with you guys).

skobabe8
06-29-2005, 01:42 AM
OK, first off I'm a Mets fan since 1994 (started watching baseball), but GREAT SITE and congrats to the White Sox for an outstanding year so far.

Regarding the Mets uniforms, the black/blue/orange cap has got to be one of the ugliest caps and uniform combos in the league. The original blue with the orange Ny in the cap was probably the best uniform in the NL, mabye behind the Cardinals. When they changed the cap in 1997, Mets management assured us fans that "they werent abandoning their roots". They lied. Within 2 years, the traditional all blue caps were GONE and replaced with the monstrosity you see on the field today. Problems with the "new" Mets cap include:

Blue, orange, and black look like VOMIT when combined together, and when the players move, the logo looks PURPLE (shake blue orange and black together and youll see what I mean).

The Mets have created an identity crisis upon themselves, when there was none before.

The "all black" uniform isnt much better, but it is better than the blue/black/orange cap.

Guys, I cant standwhat the Mets have done to their uniforms. I know the Mets dont have the Yankees tradition but we have mabye the deepest history of any expansion team. The product of the great Giants/Dodgers teams, the royal blue and orange came to symbolize the heritage of NL baseball in Ny. The Mets won the 2 greatest World Series in Ny history: 1969 and 1986, without any ugly black in the uniforms, and were the most successful expansion franchise in history (won in 1st 7 years...I know the Marlins did it in 5 years and broke that record but it was unheard of in 1969 to do it). The team has a colorful history of magical moments with the blue/orange caps.

Everytime I stare at the Mets uniforms now I feel anger. Believe me when I say, us fans didnt want this. Talk to any Mets fan, 95% of them want the blue/orange cap back, but understand something: The Mets have been one of the most poorly run franchise's in baseball. They could care less what the rel fans want.

What I dont understand is, why the Mets changed their uniform. As I said, it was one of the best uniforms in the NL, and thats not just my opinion. My Angels fan friend said to me the other day "I cant believe they pass on the chance to wear the pinstripes and blue caps every night for some ugly cheap black knockoff". I didnt know what to say. It wasnt like the Astros uniform, it had class, tradition. It was simple and beautiful...beautiful Dodger blue and Giants orange, and they ripped it away from us.

If you'll also notice, the Mets blue isnt even royal anymore either. Its some cheesy electric blue and the orange is a different shade as well. Its just disgusting and hideous. It pained me to no end seeing these jerseys worn in the 2000 series against the Yankees.

Do you know why this travesty happened though? Because of our *BLEEP*bag owner, Fred Wilpon, who cares nothing more than to try and squeeze out an extra buck. He ripped the tradition out from this franchise like a rug and sold its soul to the devil for cash. He cares NOTHING for the Mets, only for making extra money by selling the black jerseys to a few 14 year old thugs.

Even though I still root for them, the Mets as far as I'm concerend have never been the same team to me. Try to imagine your White Sox adding on an alternate color...no, 3 or 4 alternate colors, and then switching them around 4 times a week. Thats the life of a Mets fan, its insane. The Royals have the exact same problem...imagine, a team named the ROYALS not wearing ROYAL and using black, unreal. "How could this happen here?" I keep asking myself. We arent the Brewers, but we act like them. The Mets have no pride.

Thanks for listening to my rant, and yes, 95% of Mets fans hate the black and want our uniforms back. It should be BANNED from MLB. Lets hope what the other guy here said is true: That the Mets and every other team in baseball will go back to their roots and ELIMINATE the black nonsense from the uniforms (unless it was there already of course, like with you guys).

WHAT A RANT! That was great! I always liked the Mets blue and orange, and it seems almost weird when they wear them now--like its their alternate. I havent noticed as much of the black lately. Are they trying to switch back? Oh, and by the way...
:welcome:

ChiWhiteSox1337
06-29-2005, 01:46 AM
Like a rare ugly fish, there's a PINK and GREEN retro 83 jersey that shows up on eBay every now and then. No one knows *** it's supposed to be, but it is heinous.
That thing is awful. Finishline had it on clearance for $20(originally $100..so it probably didn't sell that well). I actually saw a male wearing it at school one time. :?:

TheOldRoman
06-29-2005, 02:32 AM
WHAT A RANT! That was great! I always liked the Mets blue and orange, and it seems almost weird when they wear them now--like its their alternate. I havent noticed as much of the black lately. Are they trying to switch back? Oh, and by the way...
:welcome:
No, they are wearing it as much as ever. I still think the Mets will eventually go back to the traditional colors and look. However, the more I think about it, the more it seems the Mets fans will have to put up with this crap for another 3 years. The new ballpark is opening in 2009, and teams like to design new logos/unis when they move into new parks. I imagine the Mets trying to sell "tradition" seeing as they will be moving into a new facility.

Banix12
06-29-2005, 03:48 AM
If someone from MLB came up to me, and said "do us a favor, design the worst
uniforms ever for the SOX" I would add pink and tan ........with the blk and silver

And the Logo on that awful Jersey should be "White Sox" in script identical to that on the current Blue Jays and Tampa jerseys.

I think as a motivational tool, they should develop those uniforms, make the team wear it for one game and then tell them, "If you don't win this year those are the everyday home uni's next season."

Teams aren't doing the "Future Uniform Day" promotion anymore are they. Players come out wearing some bizzare looking silverish, futuristic uniform pretending this is a design that is going to be popular in the year 2037. I'm pretty sure the sox did it once and I know Seattle did it a couple times.

Baby Fisk
06-29-2005, 08:16 AM

Hey, welcome aboard! :cheers:
Awesome post! Mets are my #2 team. I saw them at Shea for the first time last year and it was great. Bring back the blue & orange! Wilpon is trash.

Jurr
06-29-2005, 08:28 AM
And the Logo on that awful Jersey should be "White Sox" in script identical to that on the current Blue Jays and Tampa jerseys.

I think as a motivational tool, they should develop those uniforms, make the team wear it for one game and then tell them, "If you don't win this year those are the everyday home uni's next season."

Teams aren't doing the "Future Uniform Day" promotion anymore are they. Players come out wearing some bizzare looking silverish, futuristic uniform pretending this is a design that is going to be popular in the year 2037. I'm pretty sure the sox did it once and I know Seattle did it a couple times.
Those future uniforms were GOD AWFUL. No more of that--ever.

Baby Fisk
06-29-2005, 08:30 AM
Those future uniforms were GOD AWFUL. No more of that--ever.
That was a dark day in MLB future history.

Jurr
06-29-2005, 08:46 AM
As far as the black Mets unis go...I wasn't very happy when the incorporated black into the Knicks jerseys, either. Too many franchises are doing that nowadays...trying to trim everything in black. Keep it orange and blue, Mets! Keep it Red, Reds! Leave the color black to the team that looks the best in it!

SOXPHILE
06-29-2005, 10:25 AM
Here Here ! Not just the Royals & Mets, but how 'bout the Reds ? I like the uniforms, but instead of the red hat & white C, they have black brims for home games, and then a black hat with red brim & a red C. Don't forget the Rockies. I know their colors are purple & black, but what's up with those black, sleeveless vest thingies they wear sometimes ? Somebody mentioned in a thread a while ago that those look like priest outfits. Now, whenever I see them, I keep thinking about that. The Blue Jays (very little Blue in those hats & uni's ), & Marlins also have black jerseys that, to me, just don't look right. Also, red alternate, or 3rd jerseys seem to be the thing. Braves & Red Sox have worn them, and they look HIDIOUS ! It just seems like alot of teams are a huge mish mash of 4 or 5 uniform and hat combos, and they look bad. I don't mind an alternate jersey or hat here and there, like on Sunday home games, but jeez.

dcb33
06-29-2005, 10:56 AM
Here Here ! Not just the Royals & Mets, but how 'bout the Reds ? I like the uniforms, but instead of the red hat & white C, they have black brims for home games, and then a black hat with red brim & a red C. Don't forget the Rockies. I know their colors are purple & black, but what's up with those black, sleeveless vest thingies they wear sometimes ? Somebody mentioned in a thread a while ago that those look like priest outfits. Now, whenever I see them, I keep thinking about that. The Blue Jays (very little Blue in those hats & uni's ), & Marlins also have black jerseys that, to me, just don't look right. Also, red alternate, or 3rd jerseys seem to be the thing. Braves & Red Sox have worn them, and they look HIDIOUS ! It just seems like alot of teams are a huge mish mash of 4 or 5 uniform and hat combos, and they look bad. I don't mind an alternate jersey or hat here and there, like on Sunday home games, but jeez.

The Mariners alternate jersey is pretty bad too:
http://mlb.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pMLB2-2042346reg.jpg (http://javascript<b></b>:showEnhanced();)

I'm not sure if it's a black or really dark blue, but either way I don't like it.

86metsghost
06-29-2005, 12:37 PM
It just seems like alot of teams are a huge mish mash of 4 or 5 uniform and hat combos, and they look bad. I don't mind an alternate jersey or hat here and there, like on Sunday home games, but jeez.

Yeah exactly. I dont mind ONE alternate jersey, mabye the all black one for the Mets, worn mabye ONE day a week, tops. I understand baseball is a business and Wilpon (Mets Owner) has to make his bucks. But there was no need to rip out the traditional uniforms completely, and there is no excuse for it, none. When the Mets added the black, it became FOUR colors on one uniform which is hideous looking.

Look at the Yankees, as much as I hate them, they sell a slew of alternate caps: Red, blue, green, purple...yet do they wear any of these on the field?? NO!! Mets and ALL OTHER teams who are torturing their fans should just sell whatever uniforms they want at the store, and leave be the uniforms on the field.

Anyway, thanks for welcoming me to the board. I'm glad the Sox are doing so well because you guys havent won it in so long. I'm hoping for a Sox (white) championship this year.

Stroker Ace
06-29-2005, 12:59 PM
The Mets are my #2 team, and I liked the black uni's when they first came out. Now I think they are awful. Go back to the pinstripe and grey uni's.

skobabe8
06-29-2005, 04:26 PM

It was an MLB wide thing that I believe most, if not every team, did.

skobabe8
06-29-2005, 04:30 PM
Yeah exactly.
Anyway, thanks for welcoming me to the board. I'm glad the Sox are doing so well because you guys havent won it in so long. I'm hoping for a Sox (white) championship this year.

And THAT, my friend, will be sure to get you in the good graces!

Beating out the cubs in the wild card wouldn't hurt, either! :wink:

hsnterprize
06-30-2005, 09:39 PM
The Mariners alternate jersey is pretty bad too:
http://mlb.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pMLB2-2042346reg.jpg (http://javascript<b></b>:showEnhanced();)

I'm not sure if it's a black or really dark blue, but either way I don't like it.Those uni's are a dark blue that coincides with their team colors and other uniforms. Unlike teams like the Mets, Reds, and Royals, the Mariners are NOT trying to "black-up" their image.

Not to mention, Seattle's uni's don't look to bad IMHO.