PDA

View Full Version : Steinbrenner is showing his age

Fenway
05-24-2005, 04:48 PM
I saw this interview on the Steinbrenner Television Network and "The Boss" looks old

http://www.yesnetwork.com/images/content/steinbrenner_051105.jpg
George Steinbrenner tells all to Michael Kay.

When George Steinbrenner speaks, it's a big deal. When he makes a television appearance, it's a bigger deal. Check the YES broadcast schedule (http://www.yesnetwork.com/network/tvschedule.asp) for future airings of the candid 90-minute event, as the Boss talks about his life, and all things Yankees.

View Steinbrenner CenterStage clips in YES Vision (http://service.wavexpress.com/yesvision)

George now is a shell of Boss
Bob Raissman's Tuning In: During a recent interview, George Steinbrenner was a shell of himself. The steely stare has given way to hollow eyes. Arrogance and bluster replaced by a tinny-toned voice.
FULL STORY (http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/story/312296p-267166c.html)

BaseballTonyght
05-24-2005, 05:00 PM
Via death or retirement, the sun will shine a little brighter the day this man is out of baseball.

Baby Fisk
05-24-2005, 05:34 PM
In a perfect world, the new Yankee ownership would take on the attitude of the current Cub ownership, ie: "Now that we've got you sheep hooked on our product and turning up in droves win or lose, we don't feel any pressure to field a winning team. Hey fans, enjoy a cold one and socialize with your fellow loveable fans! It's all about BEING THERE."

Unfortunately, this dream falls on two points:

a) Yankee fans are too smart to settle for crap on the field, and demand victory;

b) Cub fans are too easy to please, and uniquely stupid in the baseball world -- no one cherishes the moniker of LOSER except them alone.

Still, it would be nice to see the Yankee payroll decline from its Steinbrennerian heights after he's gone and more reasonable (?) ownership moves in.

Sox Blue 69-70
05-25-2005, 08:06 AM
Still, it would be nice to see the Yankee payroll decline from its Steinbrennerian heights after he's gone and more reasonable (?) ownership moves in.

I don't think that approach will change with the next ownership regime or front man. It's just a function of being a New York operation. Look at the Rangers - they've had several ownership and management teams and have been consistently trying to buy their way to the Stanley Cup for most of the past 30+ years.

BaseballTonyght
05-25-2005, 09:06 AM
Look at the Rangers - they've had several ownership and management teams and have been consistently trying to buy their way to the Stanley Cup for most of the past 30+ years.

Albeit unsuccessfully.

Maybe Dolan will buy the Yankees.

SOXintheBURGH
05-25-2005, 09:17 AM
I don't think that approach will change with the next ownership regime or front man. It's just a function of being a New York operation. Look at the Rangers - they've had several ownership and management teams and have been consistently trying to buy their way to the Stanley Cup for most of the past 30+ years.

Ah, yes. The Blue Shirts. How can a team with Eric Lindros, Jaromir Jagr, Mark Messier, Pavel Bure, and Alexei Kovalev and Brian Leetch not win the Cup? Oh wait, they miss the playoffs 7 years in a row.

Sox Blue 69-70
05-25-2005, 09:22 AM
Ah, yes. The Blue Shirts. How can a team with Eric Lindros, Jaromir Jagr, Mark Messier, Pavel Bure, and Alexei Kovalev and Brian Leetch not win the Cup? Oh wait, they miss the playoffs 7 years in a row.

Sure - the results are a bit different (than that of the Yankees), but the propensity to throw cash around like candy at a parade is the same.

mikehuff
05-25-2005, 09:30 AM

I think the payroll discrepancies in baseball are ridiculous, but the Yankees don't scare me no matter how much they spend. They seem to be in a decline even though they are breaking payroll records year after year. I think they will be left out of the playoff race this year.

skottyj242
05-25-2005, 10:17 AM

Didn't they win a Stanley Cub recently? So obiously worked. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't Steinbrenner own the Islanders?

chaerulez
05-25-2005, 10:21 AM
I'm not sure who takes over after Steinbrenner, but if it goes to the YES network or some kind of company is formed to operate the team, things are going to change. Any team that goes to a corporation/company will get a set budget and winning will be secondary to profit. The Cubs are the largest payroll corporate owned team at #9 in the league, all the teams before that are private owners or ownership groups.

chaerulez
05-25-2005, 10:22 AM
Didn't they win a Stanley Cub recently? So obiously worked. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't Steinbrenner own the Islanders?

I believe he owned the Devils, and he still may own them- I'm not sure.

Baby Fisk
05-25-2005, 10:39 AM
I believe he owned the Devils, and he still may own them- I'm not sure.

Devils yes, Isles no. Isles are owned by Charles Wang, IIRC.

SOXintheBURGH
05-25-2005, 11:00 AM

They won in 94, leaving the Blackhawks the dubious honor of longest cup drought. They've been to the playoffs, I think, twice since then, not once since the Devils beat them in the Eastern Finals in 97.

skottyj242
05-25-2005, 11:03 AM
Devils yes, Isles no. Isles are owned by Charles Wang, IIRC.

You said Wang.

Sox Blue 69-70
05-25-2005, 11:48 AM
They won in 94, leaving the Blackhawks the dubious honor of longest cup drought. They've been to the playoffs, I think, twice since then, not once since the Devils beat them in the Eastern Finals in 97.

Actually, when the Rangers won in '94, that left the Red Wings with the longest Stanley Cup drought at the time (1955). That since has been erased, of course. To me, one Stanley Cup in the time period we're talking about and missing the playoffs for the last seven seasons, given the amount of money they've spent, isn't a very impressive track record.

Also, I believe the Isles are owned jointly by Wang and another gentleman named Sanjay.

34 Inch Stick
05-25-2005, 01:56 PM
You said Wang.

Is he related to Jimmy Shorts' old girlfriend?

skottyj242
05-25-2005, 02:07 PM
Is he related to Jimmy Shorts' old girlfriend?

I can't believe I actually knew what you were talking about, I'm not even that old.