PDA

View Full Version : McGwire recruiting Giambi?

Jerry_Manuel
11-11-2001, 12:04 PM
ESPN.com news services
ST. LOUIS -- It appears there are more indications Mark McGwire is leaning toward retirement.
Cardinals general manager Walt Jocketty told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch on Saturday he's heard from Jason Giambi's agent and there is mutual interest in signing the free-agent first baseman.

"I told (agent Arn Tellem) we do have interest, but I have no idea what kind of money it's going to take," Jocketty told the newspaper. "We're not in position to spend much money."

According to the newspaper, it is McGwire that's trying to recruit Giambi to St. Louis.

"(Tellem) said McGwire did a great selling job," Jocketty told the Post-Dispatch, referring to Giambi's interest in St. Louis.

Giambi, considered to be among the most-sought free agents, hit .342 with 38 homers and 120 RBI for the Oakland Athletics last season.

The report said Jocketty got the impression that the Cardinals are the only middle-market team among a limited number of teams in which Giambi has an interest. The Mets and Yankee reportedly also are on Giambi's list.

Manager Tony La Russa has said he doesn't expect McGwire to return next season. That would put St. Louis in the market for a power-hitting first baseman.

Jocketty told the Post-Dispatch he hasn't heard from McGwire recently, but expects to know before the end of the month if McGwire will retire.

The Cardinals would have to significantly trim their payroll if McGwire decides to return, Jocketty said.

"I don't know what we would do if he comes back. We'd be way over budget," Jocketty told the paper. "Either way, we might have to re-do some contracts."

Jocketty reportedly said he had been in contact with agents for free-agents relievers Jason Isringhausen of Oakland, Jeff Shaw of Los Angeles and Steve Karsay of Atlanta.

FarWestChicago
11-11-2001, 12:10 PM
If the Lumbering Ox leaves the A's, I would be nice to see him in St. Louis terrorizing the Flubs instead of joining King George's court.

danman31
11-11-2001, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
If the Lumbering Ox leaves the A's, I would be nice to see him in St. Louis terrorizing the Flubs instead of joining King George's court.

That and the Cards would own the NL for years to come if they keep the rest of the team's core(Kile, Morris, Pujols, Edmonds)

duke of dorwood
11-11-2001, 05:18 PM
THis would be too good-him with 9 games in mini Wrigley, and keeping him out of New York. I am all for this. Was Giambi in Oakland when LaRussa was there?

nut_stock
11-11-2001, 05:26 PM
Giambi really looks up to McGwire as he was his mentor. Im sure McGwire will be telling Giambi about how great the St. Louis fans are, trying to persuade him. McGwire had to love getting standing ovations at every at bat.

GASHWOUND
11-11-2001, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago

The Lumbering Ox...The Flubs...King George's court. Those sounds like characters and a place from some kids cartoon show. :)

doublem23
11-11-2001, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by nut_stock
Giambi really looks up to McGwire as he was his mentor. Im sure McGwire will be telling Giambi about how great the St. Louis fans are, trying to persuade him. McGwire had to love getting standing ovations at every at bat.

True, but St. Louis is a really, really good baseball town... Once they build that new stadium, watch out for the Cardinals.