PDA

View Full Version : Timo over Pods in Center?

hawkjt
05-24-2005, 03:39 PM
I just do not understand putting Timo in center when you have a career Center-fielder with so much more range in Pods. I know Timo has a better arm but I absolutely think that the first three runs would not have scored for the Angels last nite cuz Pods would have caught 3 fly balls that dropped at Timos feet.

Is it too much of an adjustment for Pods to go back to center after 40 games in left? I was questioning that move when I saw the lineup and unfortuanately it came back to haunt the sox. We need the best defensive posture possible every game with our offense. C'mon Oz - rethink Timo in center.

JRIG
05-24-2005, 03:44 PM
I just do not understand putting Timo in center when you have a career Center-fielder with so much more range in Pods. I know Timo has a better arm but I absolutely think that the first three runs would not have scored for the Angels last nite cuz Pods would have caught 3 fly balls that dropped at Timos feet.

Is it too much of an adjustment for Pods to go back to center after 40 games in left? I was questioning that move when I saw the lineup and unfortuanately it came back to haunt the sox. We need the best defensive posture possible every game with our offense. C'mon Oz - rethink Timo in center.

Timo's been horrible, simply horrible this year. And most of last year. He should not be playing center field. He probably shouldn't even be on this team.

Come back soon, Frank.

Rocky Soprano
05-24-2005, 03:46 PM
I agree, wasnt Ozzie unsure of playing Pods or Rowand in center at the beginning of the year?

And now when he can play Pods at center he goes and does this.

Come on Ozzie!

Chez
05-24-2005, 03:50 PM
Timo's been horrible, simply horrible this year. And most of last year. He should not be playing center field. He probably shouldn't even be on this team.

Come back soon, Frank.

I agree. When Frank comes back, it should be Timo and not Gload who goes.

veeter
05-24-2005, 04:02 PM
He made a hell of a throw that 2004 Crede didn't handle. Timo can do one thing throw. But Pods should have been in center no doubt.

balke
05-24-2005, 04:08 PM
I don't know why I didn't see it til now, but Timo is on the team, while we have Brian Anderson destroying triple A Charlotte. Anderson probably has better range and arm, and can hit. He played CF most of the spring. So why is Timo here? How valuable is a slap bunt? He's not fast. He can't hit. He throws slightly above average. He isn't grinding.

CHISOXFAN13
05-24-2005, 04:14 PM
I don't know why I didn't see it til now, but Timo is on the team, while we have Brian Anderson destroying triple A Charlotte. Anderson probably has better range and arm, and can hit. He played CF most of the spring. So why is Timo here? How valuable is a slap bunt? He's not fast. He can't hit. He throws slightly above average. He isn't grinding.

WHile I agree with your Timo argument, I'm not sure what purpose it would serve to have Anderson here as the fourth outfielder. IMO, it's much more valuable for him to get regular at-bats to continue his progress to the big club.

swanson24
05-24-2005, 04:33 PM
Timo starting in center over Pods is simple. Ozzie wanted to rest Pods and give Perez some at bats to keep Perez loose. Correct me if I am wrong but I don't think Timo got any at bats during the Cubs series at Wrigley. It is a long season and everybody will get their days off or at bats off. We as fans cant lose focus on the big picture that Pods is vital to the club and Ozzie and his coaching staff know what they are doing. :cool:

mdep524
05-24-2005, 04:40 PM
Correct me if I am wrong but I don't think Timo got any at bats during the Cubs series at Wrigley. He pinch hit once and struck out on three pitches.

I really liked Timo last year, but he is not adding anything to this team right now, and his defense isn't even adequate- his limited range in CF and RF is costing his SPs runs (example: May 15 vs. Texas, and last night). Hate to say it because I like the guy, but when the Big Hurt comes back it may be time for Timo to find a new home.

balke
05-24-2005, 04:45 PM
Timo starting in center over Pods is simple. Ozzie wanted to rest Pods and give Perez some at bats to keep Perez loose. Correct me if I am wrong but I don't think Timo got any at bats during the Cubs series at Wrigley. It is a long season and everybody will get their days off or at bats off. We as fans cant lose focus on the big picture that Pods is vital to the club and Ozzie and his coaching staff know what they are doing. :cool:

How is putting Pods in LF instead of CF resting him? He had to run double hard, to make up for Timo's lack of range last night.

swanson24
05-24-2005, 04:50 PM
I just found out I was wrong Timo had 1 at bat against the Cubs in Wrigley in which he got out on the play. Over his last 10 games played Timo has 5 hits in 24 at bats. In comparison Pods has 16 hits in 42 at bats. However Pods has played in every game over the past ten days. (Stats were taken 5-24-05 before game @ANA.) Obviously we all like Pods but second guessing Ozzie over this seems like too much. Ask Brad Palmer how it feels to second guess Ozzie. :wink:

balke
05-24-2005, 04:54 PM
Obviously we all like Pods but second guessing Ozzie over this seems like too much. Ask Brad Palmer how it feels to second guess Ozzie. :wink:

Ozzie did it because of Timo's arm, it was just an extremely stupid move, and cost Pods about 2 outs. I second guess Ozzie on this. Tell any fan of any team we had Timo Perez playing CF, and they will tell you something is wrong.

swanson24
05-24-2005, 04:58 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Balke
"How is putting Pods in LF instead of CF resting him? He had to run double hard, to make up for Timo's lack of range last night." - Balke

Your right it may not be resting him but it is giving Timo the chance to play and the only way for players to bust out of a slump is to keep on getting at bats and or getting them into the field. Timo is important to this team because he comes off the bench in late game situations. He is a role player and Ozzie put him in his role. Looking at the bench right now he is the best option to put in the outfield at the end of the game.

ATXBMX
05-24-2005, 05:00 PM

Because Anderson needs to play everyday, and it doesn't help that he has 45 K in 160 AB

mdep524
05-24-2005, 05:48 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Balke
"How is putting Pods in LF instead of CF resting him? He had to run double hard, to make up for Timo's lack of range last night." - Balke

Your right it may not be resting him but it is giving Timo the chance to play and the only way for players to bust out of a slump is to keep on getting at bats and or getting them into the field. Timo is important to this team because he comes off the bench in late game situations. He is a role player and Ozzie put him in his role. Looking at the bench right now he is the best option to put in the outfield at the end of the game. :?: I think you missed balke's point. If Timo and Pods are both going to play, why not put POds in center and Timo in left?

maurice
05-24-2005, 05:55 PM
I just do not understand putting Timo in center when you have a career Center-fielder with so much more range in Pods.

I don't understand putting Timo in CF ever. I'd rather run Harris out there. Timo never should start and probably shouldn't even be on the roster. He's got my vote to leave the island when Thomas and Gload return.

In any event, if Ozzie insists on starting Timo, it would be in RF or CF because his arm is WAY stronger than Pod's.

Bobbo35
05-24-2005, 06:04 PM

That is so true. Get Anderson here and see what he can do in the majors. Cannot be any worse than Borchard when he was here.

dickallen15
05-24-2005, 06:06 PM
If Crede catches Timo's great throw last night, LAAofA don't score their first 2 runs. I don't know why everyone thinks Pods is a good CF. He's fast, but takes some of the most brutal routes to balls you will ever see, and that includes little leaguers.

balke
05-24-2005, 06:23 PM
If Crede catches Timo's great throw last night, LAAofA don't score their first 2 runs. I don't know why everyone thinks Pods is a good CF. He's fast, but takes some of the most brutal routes to balls you will ever see, and that includes little leaguers.

Rowand is in center, there is no one hop, its a strike. Pods is in center, that pop-up that later cost 2 runs gets caught. Timo looked ridiculous out there, getting turned around peddling his feet going nowhere chasing balls hit over his head. He flat out sucked. Pods has experience in center, and way more range. I'd have rather seen willie out there than Timo. Just like when we put Everett in center when he came here, having that slow of a fielder in center is nothing but a liability that costs you runs on duck snorts, gappers, and warning track flyouts.

I want Mags back
05-24-2005, 06:36 PM
Timo scares me every time he goes to catch the ball. The way he leans forward, with the glove tilted, its a strange way to catch the ball

2 hands Timo. Didnt he play little league

GiveMeSox
05-24-2005, 06:40 PM

Andersen needs to play everyday at this point. Being a 4th outfielder will do nothing for Andersen. If he is not called up to play everyday he should not be called up. Its as simple as that.