PDA

View Full Version : It Takes One to Know One: Jerks in Baseball

skottyj242
05-24-2005, 01:23 PM
I just got this e-mailed to me...there is some questionable language in the article so I apologize before it gets taken out but I thought it was worth taking a look at. This is an article from a southern California newspaper:

http://www.ocweekly.com/ink/05/31/sports-lowery.php

Brian26
05-24-2005, 01:29 PM
Jerk or not, AJ's been one of the shining lights of this team in the first two months, from his clutch hits to his handling of the pitching staff to his surprisingly accurate arm and sound defense behind the plate. I won't go as far as saying he's the MVP on the team right now (got to give that to Buehrle or Garland), but he's definitely right up there.

fquaye149
05-24-2005, 01:30 PM
does steve lowery have brain damage?

is the publication in which that article appeared a self-published self-stabled cardstock magazine?

do you think he actually thinks those taunts are funny?

:?:

faneidde
05-24-2005, 01:34 PM
Wow, what an utter piece of trash of an article. I smell Roadhouse or WTS in the future of this thread.

LVSoxFan
05-24-2005, 01:39 PM
Sorry but any story about the biggest jerks in baseball that doesn't have Barry Bonds running away with the title has no credibility.

A.J. hasn't seemed like a jerk here--just a no-holds-barred competitor with an edge. In other words, just what we need (no offense to Olivo).

Carl, while a spotty batter, sure hasn't seemed like a jerk either. Although he is a loon--that dinosaur stuff I've heard before, LOL.
But yes the article was pretty much hackery.

MUScholar21
05-24-2005, 01:40 PM
Please. Don't ever post that kind of useless, biased garbage ever again. You wasted all our time with that.

skottyj242
05-24-2005, 01:42 PM
Wow, what an utter piece of trash of an article. I smell Roadhouse or WTS in the future of this thread.

Sorry, didn't mean to really offend you, someone e-mailed it to me...I didn't write it or agree with it, I am merely sharing it with you to see what people think about it.

Iwritecode
05-24-2005, 01:43 PM
I’ll admit that I had a pre-conceived notion about Carl before he got here. I think most of it was the reputation he got in Boston and Texas. Then I met him at Soxfest (once in the bar and once in the private autograph session) and found that he’s really a pretty easy-going guy that likes to joke around and have fun. Him and Rock Raines where having a great time talking with the people in line while signing autographs.

Carl even convinced one girl that he couldn’t sign for her because she had pink hair. Her face dropped and she just said “Really?” Then he laughed and told her he was just kidding. :cool:

With the job AJ has done with this pitching staff, I have no complaints about him either.

It seems like both guys are a lot like Dennis Rodman. They’re the guys that you hate seeing on another team, but love having them on your team.

jackbrohamer
05-24-2005, 01:43 PM
Did anyone ever care about anything that Brett Tomko ever said before he bashed Pierzynski --- ANONOMOUSLY --- in the bay area papers last year?

skottyj242
05-24-2005, 01:49 PM
Since this was moved to WTS and renamed It Takes Ono to Know One:Jerks in Baseball is that implying that I'm a jerk.

Dibbs
05-24-2005, 01:54 PM
That is a really bad article. One guy that immediately comes to mind as the single biggest jerk in the game: Milton Bradley. How is his name not mentioned?

BarbG
05-24-2005, 01:57 PM
I think it implies that the guy who wrote this drivel is a jerk. Horribly written and total garbage.

I bet Carl and AJ lose a lot of sleep over this one.

StillMissOzzie
05-24-2005, 02:01 PM
Where's that tag that says "Welcome to Last Week"? And can I get those last 10 minutes back?

SMO
:angry:

FarWestChicago
05-24-2005, 02:03 PM
I just got this e-mailed to me...there is some questionable language in the article so I apologize before it gets taken out but I thought it was worth taking a look at.Holy ****!! You could NOT have possibly been more wrong. :rolleyes:

CHISOXFAN13
05-24-2005, 02:04 PM
Since this was moved to WTS and renamed It Takes Ono to Know One:Jerks in Baseball is that implying that I'm a jerk.

I read it as the writer was a complete jag, not you.

skottyj242
05-24-2005, 02:20 PM
Where's that tag that says "Welcome to Last Week"? And can I get those last 10 minutes back?

SMO
:angry:

Did it really take you ten minutes to read that?....Sorry.

Hangar18
05-24-2005, 02:38 PM

No, im sure the Mods werent implying anything by changing the title.
However, titling the thread "AJ & Carl Jerks" was very Cubune-like, not to mention very Kiley-esque, wouldnt you say?

skottyj242
05-24-2005, 02:49 PM
Was just looking for a rise out of people and I guess I achieved my goal.

fquaye149
05-24-2005, 02:56 PM

so you are a :dtroll:

skottyj242
05-24-2005, 03:07 PM
so you are a :dtroll:

I've been on this site for a couple of years now and I still have no idea what :dtroll: means. Does that mean I'm a troll? What I meant by getting a rise is I love when everyone jumps on someone for posting something negative about the Sox. I don't know but I kind of find it funny that when a positive article is written it's the greatest article ever written and the author is a good guy, but the minute someone tries to share a negative article you're put right in WTS, with everything else anti-Cub. Now please don't take this as complaining because I'm just as guilty as anyone here of doing this but are we so thin skinned that we can dish it out but can't take it?

Hangar18
05-24-2005, 03:09 PM

So the Cubune and Mike Kiley daily print things just to get a rise out of other
Sox Fans?

skottyj242
05-24-2005, 03:15 PM
So the Cubune and Mike Kiley daily print things just to get a rise out of other
Sox Fans?

No, because I don't get paid to piss off people I would consider my peers.

fquaye149
05-25-2005, 12:03 PM
I've been on this site for a couple of years now and I still have no idea what :dtroll: means. Does that mean I'm a troll? What I meant by getting a rise is I love when everyone jumps on someone for posting something negative about the Sox. I don't know but I kind of find it funny that when a positive article is written it's the greatest article ever written and the author is a good guy, but the minute someone tries to share a negative article you're put right in WTS, with everything else anti-Cub. Now please don't take this as complaining because I'm just as guilty as anyone here of doing this but are we so thin skinned that we can dish it out but can't take it?

i can absolutely take negative articles. I have a 3inch thick callus on my back from all the negative articles. All there are are negative articles about the Sox. The positive articles are the exception. That does not mean that I come to WSI to read the negative articles. I can read the ****ing Chicago Tribune if I want a negative article. Why would I want to come here and look at yet another poorly researched, knee-jerk, blatantly stupid anti-sox article? I woudn't is the answer. Yes it's my fault for clicking on it, and I take partial responsibility for that. But that doesn't mean Lowery's not an idiot for writing a **** article and that doesn't mean you have to post it as "an interesting read". :rolleyes:

Since you ask, the troll icon was in response to your declaration that you were posting a negative article to "get a rise out of people." About the paradigm of trolling.

Irishsox1
05-25-2005, 12:25 PM
Yes, A.J. and Carl WERE perceived as jerks, but my Jerk list is better:

10. LaTroy Hawkins - Made some Anti-Sox remarks years ago. I just don't like the guy.
9. David Wells - Loudmouth who's back went out in the first inning of a Sox vs. Cubs game.
8. Dusty Baker - "Dude, like that's not cool...Dude" Always quick to blame someone else, other than his team for losses.
7. Derek Jeter - If I see him do that arm pump thing in the playoffs one more time, I'm gonna puke!
6. Mark McGuire - You big fat phoney. You are an embaressment to the game of baseball. I hope you get liver cancer from all the 'roids you shot up.
5. Mark Prior - Sideburns, Anti-Sox remarks, Cubbies. So much to hate, so little time.
4. Curt Shilling - The guy has the brain the size of a peanut, but any thought that rattles around his head, he lets everyone know by calling a Boston radio station. When testifying on steroids, he spent more time attacking Conseco than addressing 'roids.
3. Torri Hunter - Hate him for all the plays he makes, his big mouth and for a dirty slide. As much as people say that its a clean play, Burke was NOT covering the plate. He was set up for a sweep tag.
2. Alex Rodriguez - The king of the 3 run homerun (when your up 14 to 2 in the 9th). The guy is a club house cancer because of that contract.
1. Barry Bonds - Not only a big fat steroid user, but one of the biggest A-holes in the history of baseball. Everyone knows this guy is the king of all jerks.