PDA

View Full Version : Nominee For Weirdest Injury Of All-Time

VeeckAsInWreck
05-24-2005, 12:11 PM
Minnesota Twins reliever Terry Mullholland has hurt his eye with a feather. Yeah, you read it right. Read it here. (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=fanball-twinsmulhollandcatch&prov=fanball&type=lgns)

Anyone else remember any silly injuries? I seem to remember that Kevin Mitchell hurt himself vomiting.

Baby Fisk
05-24-2005, 12:18 PM
David Wells once had the gout. Not weird, but damn funny. :cool:

Iwritecode
05-24-2005, 12:27 PM
Minnesota Twins reliever Terry Mullholland has hurt his eye with a feather. Yeah, you read it right. Read it here. (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=fanball-twinsmulhollandcatch&prov=fanball&type=lgns)

Anyone else remember any silly injuries? I seem to remember that Kevin Mitchell hurt himself vomiting.

Who can forget the player that hurt his back sneezing?

:shammy
What?

Jeff Kent hurting his wrist while washing his truck (I think this was proven a lie IIRC)

Wasn't there a guy on the Red Sox (Derek Lowe?) that hurt himself is some dumb way?

D. TODD
05-24-2005, 12:31 PM
Glenallen Hill was hurt while dreaming about spiders. He claimed to have arachnophobia and went wild trying to get the imaginary spiders off him when he awoke. Or so he claimed. Seemed pretty fishy to me, but that was his claim for his off the field injury.

Hokiesox
05-24-2005, 12:34 PM
A sports hernia, or whatever it's being called, may never be surpassed in my mind.

Baby Fisk
05-24-2005, 12:45 PM
Quantrill fined
WED. JANUARY 13, 1999
Paul Quantrill was fined $60 today by the Ontario Provincial Police for not reporting a snowmobiling accident. Quantrill broke his right leg, and originally stated it was a tobogganing accident, before admitting the truth this past Saturday.

The Jays are proposing to rip up his existing contract and substituting it for a less-costly, performance-based pay package for '99. .

nebraskasox
05-24-2005, 12:54 PM
How about elbow soreness from too much internet surfing?

ma_deuce
05-24-2005, 12:56 PM
A sports hernia, or whatever it's being called, may never be surpassed in my mind.

:maggs

"Hey, a hernia in your knee is no laughing matter! Just for that, you are now my enemy too."

StillMissOzzie
05-24-2005, 12:57 PM
How about Steve Trout having an accident on his bicycle?

SMO
:gulp:

fquaye149
05-24-2005, 01:15 PM
:maggs

"Hey, a hernia in your knee is no laughing matter! Just for that, you are now my enemy too."

Is it me or is brian anderson the love child of the hawk and jodie foster?

Banix12
05-24-2005, 01:15 PM
If I remember correctly. Ricky Bones, while pitching for Florida, injured himself while getting out of a recliner.

I would also vote for any player who injured himself while punching a wall (Kevin Brown, Julien Tavarez) or kicking a fan (Kyle Farnsworth).

jackbrohamer
05-24-2005, 01:16 PM
How about elbow soreness from too much internet surfing?

Or "tennis elbow."

I think Jose Cardenal (or some other loser Scrub in the '70`s) missed a game because a cricket in his room kept him awake the night before. (Which I only know because Royko often wrote about it.)

Banix12
05-24-2005, 01:18 PM
Didn't Marty Cordova miss a couple games for Baltimore because he fell asleep in a tanning booth and got sunburned?

voodoochile
05-24-2005, 01:34 PM
David Wells once had the gout. Not weird, but damn funny. :cool:

When you have gout, you have it forever. It doesn't go away and rich diets high in alcohol and fat are how you get it. It's not as uncommon as you think.

LoganSox
05-24-2005, 01:34 PM
the dumbest ever was minutes before the start of the 1985 World Series when lead-off batter, ROY and, I think, the last guy to steal 100 bases, Vince Coleman gets run over by an astro-turf machine and breaks his leg...the machine was going 5mph...and the Cardinals lost to the Twins in 7

he would later in his career conduct perhaps the dumbest player-fan interaction when he threw some lit firecrackers at some Mets fans...oh yeah, while he was a Met

Paulwny
05-24-2005, 01:35 PM
From the baseball web:

John Smoltz burned his chest while ironing a shirt that he was wearing.

Wade Boggs hurt his back when he lost his balance while trying to put on cowboy boots.

Odiebe McDowell cut his finger buttering a roll at the Texas Ranger's welcome home luncheon.

Ricky Bones hurt his lower back getting out of a chair while watching TV in the clubhouse.

Kevin Mitchell strained a muscle while vomiting.

George Brett hit his foot on a chair and broke his toe while running from the kitchen to the TV to see Bill Buckner hit.

Rick Honeycutt injured his wrist while flicking sunflower seeds in the dugout.

Chris Brown injured his eye by sleeping on his eye wrong.

Phil Niekro injured his hand shaking hands too hard.

Nolan Ryan was bitten by a coyote.

Iwritecode
05-24-2005, 01:49 PM
Chris Brown injured his eye by sleeping on his eye wrong.

***? How do you sleep on your eye correctly? :?:

steranim
05-24-2005, 02:03 PM
From the baseball web:

John Smoltz burned his chest while ironing a shirt that he was wearing.

How the **** do you burn ..... forget it, don't want to know.

NonetheLoaiza
05-24-2005, 02:32 PM
Not a baseball injury, but Thomas Jones injuring himself answering the phone, while he was with the Cardinals.

mikehuff
05-24-2005, 02:40 PM
Who's the Bears player that tripped over his dogs and broke his wrist?
- edit - it's Bryan Robinson

What about that one pitcher, I think with the 1986 Mets... He had a "gardening accident" before the World Series.

Nellie_Fox
05-24-2005, 03:02 PM
I already mentioned in another thread: Jose Cardinal who missed some time because he woke up with his eyelid stuck shut.

Tekijawa
05-24-2005, 03:10 PM
I think it was Rickey Henderson that missed a few games because he got Frostbite in August.

Ken Griffey missed a few games do to a thumb injury from playing too much Nintendo.

My favorite all time sports injury is back 2-3 years ago when Jaret Holms of the Jaguars and their Kris Hanson missed a game due to burns acquired during a Fondue party....:o: http://espn.go.com/nfl/news/2002/0627/1399671.html

veeter
05-24-2005, 03:12 PM
Is it me or is brian anderson the love child of the hawk and jodie foster? I'm dying laughing at all of these especially the Brian Anderson mixture. That guy just looks funny. He's supposed to be hilarious. As Hawk likes to say he's Dennis the Menace. God I can't wait 'til he comes up. I think he'll be like A.J., good player better intangibles.

Tekijawa
05-24-2005, 03:21 PM
more:

http://66.218.71.225/search/cache?ei=UTF-8&p=strange+sports+injuries&u=sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story%3Fpage%3Drovell/040524&w=strange+sports+injuries&d=0F20AEB63C&icp=1&.intl=us

and the ALL-Injury team:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/print?id=1347109&type=page2Story

Baby Fisk
05-24-2005, 03:23 PM
When you have gout, you have it forever. It doesn't go away and rich diets high in alcohol and fat are how you get it. It's not as uncommon as you think.

I stand corrected. I just remember the day my friend and I heard Wells went on the DL because of gout. The exchange of shocked looks and snickering was memorable.

Hokiesox
05-24-2005, 05:18 PM
If I remember correctly. Ricky Bones, while pitching for Florida, injured himself while getting out of a recliner.

I would also vote for any player who injured himself while punching a wall (Kevin Brown, Julien Tavarez) or kicking a fan (Kyle Farnsworth).

Even though it's not baseball, add in Gus Frerotte on this one. So much for the redskins season that year...

MUsoxfan
05-24-2005, 06:08 PM
Didn't Jeff Kent claim to get hurt while washing his truck a couple years ago?

White Sox Josh
05-24-2005, 06:24 PM
Felix Rodriguez Sliping in the shower and tearing his knee or something like that.

buehrle4cy05
05-24-2005, 06:38 PM
Kaz Sasaki carrying luggage up his steps.

MUsoxfan
05-24-2005, 06:45 PM
:rowand

"I learned a thing or two about dumb injuries. Too bad Jay Williams and Kellen 'The Soldier' Winslow didn't learn from my mistakes."

Wsoxmike59
05-24-2005, 07:28 PM

SMO

It should be clarified that it was a STATIONARY exercise bicycle that Steve Trout fell from! Which made the incident even that much more laughable to me! :D:

You got cubs missing games because of chirping crickets in hotel rooms, sneezing fits, tennis elbow from surfing the Internet too much......My goodness, the ghosts of Nellie Fox and Lou Gehrig must be spinning in their graves over these lightweights.

RKMeibalane
05-24-2005, 08:02 PM
Former NBA player George McCloud hurt himself while talking on the phone. He was standing with his legs crossed, and somehow managed to tear several ligaments in his ankle.

shaunburnette
05-24-2005, 08:14 PM
:maggs:maggs:maggs:maggs:maggs

buehrle4cy05
05-24-2005, 08:30 PM
I can't remember his name, but the punter for Jacksonville was lost for all of the 04-05 season (I think) because he cut his leg while chopping a piece of wood-in the Jags' locker room.

White Sox Josh
05-24-2005, 08:44 PM
:maggs:maggs:maggs:maggs:maggs:maggs
What are you talking about I'm not an injury risk! I'm 100% healthy. Scott Kenny Williams is being mean to me by saying that I might be injured!!!!!!!!!!

:borass:
Injured! Give me this paycheck or I'll show you an injury!

whitesoxwilkes
05-24-2005, 09:14 PM
Marty Cordova missed 2 or 3 games after getting 2nd degree burns from falling asleep in his tanning bed.

Banix12
05-25-2005, 02:06 AM
Since we have gotten into non-baseball injuries, I'm shocked nobody has mentioned Bill Grammatica injuring himself jumping up and down to celebrate a successful field goal.

Sox Blue 69-70
05-25-2005, 08:15 AM

Must have swallowed too much Vicks vapo rub. I remember vaguely reading that he would eat a spoonful of that either regularly or when he felt the need.

Not a baseball player, but Rangers' goaltender John Vanbiesbrouck sliced tendons in his hand on his coffee table at home one summer. 1989, I believe. That was the story, anyway.

rmusacch
05-25-2005, 08:28 AM

SMO

Not just a bicycle, an exercise bike. He was probably stoned.

mikehuff
05-25-2005, 08:37 AM
I can't remember his name, but the punter for Jacksonville was lost for all of the 04-05 season (I think) because he cut his leg while chopping a piece of wood-in the Jags' locker room.
Yeah, that's the all time best. There was an axe in a log in the locker room to symbolize something to get these guys inspired. The kicker picked up the axe and tried to swing it, but hit his leg instead of the log! I love it! It's even better because you can just see the other guys watching the kicker pick up that axe and saying, "what the hell is he doing?"

Mickster
05-25-2005, 09:56 AM
Glenallen Hill was hurt while dreaming about spiders. He claimed to have arachnophobia and went wild trying to get the imaginary spiders off him when he awoke. Or so he claimed. Seemed pretty fishy to me, but that was his claim for his off the field injury.

It's true. Most people call it a LSD trip.... :cool:

skottyj242
05-25-2005, 10:18 AM
I think it was last year but didn't David Wells miss a couple of starts because he was having a party at his place and fell down on a broken bottle and sliced his pitching hand up?

PatK
05-25-2005, 10:24 AM
There are rumors that Mark Prior's achilles problems were caused by him walking around in flip flops while attending class in the off season.

Hockey players usually have the stupidest injuries. Such as Doug Wickenheiser breaking both legs after falling out of the back of a pick up and getting run over by the following car while out on a rookie hazing outing.

Or Mark Hunter severing tendons in his wrist after having it skated over--- at the team's annual family skate.

There was some other guy on the blues that burned himself making popcorn.

Stroker Ace
05-25-2005, 11:05 AM
Didn't Marty Cordova miss a couple games for Baltimore because he fell asleep in a tanning booth and got sunburned?
Yeah, that was pretty funny.

jackbrohamer
05-25-2005, 12:42 PM
Didn't Jeff Kent claim to get hurt while washing his truck a couple years ago?

That is what he claimed at first, but then some eyewitnesses came forward and said they saw him get hurt popping wheelies on his motorcycle near the Giants' spring training park in Scottsdale. Broke his arm or something.

Malgar 12
05-25-2005, 01:02 PM

How about the love child of Richie Cunningham and Jodie Foster!? Oh how I'd like to peer under that hat and check the hairline!:D:

nedlug
05-25-2005, 02:13 PM
Since we have gotten into non-baseball injuries, I'm shocked nobody has mentioned Bill Grammatica injuring himself jumping up and down to celebrate a successful field goal.

And on top of that, the FG was in the 2nd quarter of a game like 28-3 or something like that!

Baby Fisk
05-26-2005, 07:59 AM
How timely!

Remlinger's injury a real chair-ity case

You might want to sit down for this one. But be careful because Cubs left-handed reliever Mike Remlinger hurt himself Sunday sitting in one of the reclining chairs in the clubhouse. He went on the 15-day disabled list Wednesday with a fractured left pinkie.

"I was sitting in the chair and turned, and my finger got caught in between chairs,'' Remlinger said. "The handles are wood. I turned quick and didn't know the other chair was right there.''

Remlinger took exception to a reporter who smiled at his explanation.

"You're smiling,'' he said with an edge. "Here, you want to see it?''

Remlinger took off a splint and showed his mangled little finger. "I did this on Sunday and didn't think it was any big deal,'' he said. "It wasn't really going away, so I said something to them [Tuesday] night.''

mikehuff
05-26-2005, 09:02 AM
Ah, those Cubs...

slavko
05-26-2005, 11:33 AM
Didn't our own Dick Allen sever a tendon in his hand while pushing his stalled car with his hand on the headlight when (surprise) the headlight broke? Or that was the story he told; who knows what really happened. Football-wise, my favorite was the guy who scored and spiked the ball so violently that he dislocated his shoulder.

SOXfnNlansing
05-26-2005, 12:33 PM
http://www.funnyhub.com/pictures/img/thu_collision-at-second.jpg?2586 (http://www.funnyhub.com/pictures/page.cgi/collision-at-second) Does anyone remember this injury?

nasox
05-26-2005, 02:29 PM

Wow, random.

The Racehorse
05-26-2005, 05:43 PM
Those are some freakish injuries... what ever happened to simply being too hung over to play?

Dick Allen
05-26-2005, 05:48 PM
When you have gout, you have it forever. It doesn't go away and rich diets high in alcohol and fat are how you get it. It's not as uncommon as you think.Yeah, I've had this many times, and I can tell you it is anything but funny. Although maybe David Wells can put a funny spin on it.