PDA

View Full Version : Ozzie and 1st place

veeter
05-24-2005, 10:36 AM
Since Ozzie has been the manager the Sox have spent a lot of time in first place. Looking even closer, with his starting line up intact, the Sox have spent nearly every DAY in first. At the time of Maggs and Thomas going out the Sox were on top. This year speaks for itself. Although a small career sample, Ozzie has been impressive. Will he go down as the Sox all-time best?

mikehuff
05-24-2005, 10:40 AM
Since Ozzie has been the manager the Sox have spent a lot of time in first place. Looking even closer, with his starting line up intact, the Sox have spent nearly every DAY in first. At the time of Maggs and Thomas going out the Sox were on top. This year speaks for itself. Although a small career sample, Ozzie has been impressive. Will he go down as the Sox all-time best?

Whoah, hold on. All time best? It's May of his second year. Remember that even Jerry Manuel won the Manager Of The Year award.
The all time best will be the one to win the World Series.

veeter
05-24-2005, 10:47 AM
Whoah, hold on. All time best? It's May of his second year. Remember that even Jerry Manuel won the Manager Of The Year award.
The all time best will be the one to win the World Series. I knew my wording was over the top but he's managed two teams with totally different personnel and won with both (when healthy). He's outside the box and creative. Manual on the other hand managed a team that never took a day off offensively. He filled out the line up card and took a nap. Foulke was lights out, also. I do agree though that the championship manager will become another Ditka. At least with Sox fans.

mikehuff
05-24-2005, 11:21 AM
I knew my wording was over the top but he's managed two teams with totally different personnel and won with both (when healthy).
You better check your wording again on this one. He didn't "win with both." Second place last year is not winning. A manager doesn't get paid and keep his job bacause he finishes in second place every year (look at Manuel) and this year isn't even close to being over yet. He hasn't won anything. Winning records mean nothing to me. They have to turn this team into one that can consistenly make the playoffs and compete at the highest level. The manager's role in that is always controversial. If they are winning, some think that the manager has nothing to do with that or all to do with that. The same view with losing. Just like the players on the field having to play as a team to win games, the organization needs to work together as a whole to be successful.

mccoydp
05-24-2005, 11:35 AM
Ozzie was a third base coach with the Marlins; this is his first managing job.

I think we need to give him a little more time before we jump the gun and consider him among the best Sox managers.

There is PLENTY of time left in this season; the Sox haven't won anything yet.

Heck, Terry Bevington finished 85-77 in his first full year as manager in 1996, and we all remember how wretched he was.

Brian26
05-24-2005, 11:36 AM
He's outside the box and creative.

That's one way of looking at it. I always like to consider bunting with two outs as "outside the box".

Lip Man 1
05-24-2005, 11:41 AM
The All-Time best Sox manager was Al Lopez.

Lip

veeter
05-24-2005, 11:49 AM
The All-Time best Sox manager was Al Lopez.

Lip He's the last pennant winner so I agree. I never saw him manage. What was his style? Didn't he dislike Nellie Fox?

Lip Man 1
05-24-2005, 11:55 AM
That is the rumor, I have no proof one way or the other. It's not just the fact that he won a pennant. When Lopez managed baseball wasn't watered down talent wise like it is today (especially pitching...) somehow with a team that never hit very well, Al guided the Sox to five 90+ win seasons (and remember they only played 154 games through 1960). He also finished either 1st or 2nd in the league six times, back when they actually had a league, not divisions.

His style was to sit back and work the game through his assistant coaches. He'd say something to Ray Berres his pitching coach for example, and Berres would impliment it. He was a former catcher in MLB so he knew pitchers, he also became team captain on every team he played for so that also says something.

Go to the WSI Interviews with his former players like Billy Pierce, Jim Landis, Pete Ward, Gary Peters, Ray Herbert, Joe Horlen ect. they'll generally tell you that he was a sharp baseball guy, played the percentages, was loved by the Chicago media because he treated them fairly and also had a temper that could cut through anything if the players screwed up. He would chew them a new rear end and didn't care who knew about it. He could also carry a grudge if he had to.

Lip

Baby Fisk
05-24-2005, 12:09 PM
That is the rumor, I have no proof one way or the other.
In his autobiography, Orestes Minoso alludes to a falling out between Lopez and himself.

DaleJRFan
05-24-2005, 01:17 PM
I heard Bruce Levine on the radio this morning saying that KW has picked up Ozzie's option for 2006 and offered him a deal through 2007. Anyone confirm this???

Mickster
05-24-2005, 01:55 PM
I heard Bruce Levine on the radio this morning saying that KW has picked up Ozzie's option for 2006 and offered him a deal through 2007. Anyone confirm this???

Here's your confirmation. LINK (http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-doug24.html)

STEAMING MAD: General manager Ken Williams was said to be irate over a radio report that the Sox have agreed to a contract extension with manager Ozzie Guillen. The Sox have begun discussions to reward Guillen by at least exercising his contract option for next year, but the Sox were in no way ready to make an announcement regarding their manager. Williams has said he has been curious to find out how the organization's news is getting leaked to one particular news outlet. That outlet is the same one that carries the Sox' radio broadcasts.

veeter
05-24-2005, 02:29 PM
That is the rumor, I have no proof one way or the other. It's not just the fact that he won a pennant. When Lopez managed baseball wasn't watered down talent wise like it is today (especially pitching...) somehow with a team that never hit very well, Al guided the Sox to five 90+ win seasons (and remember they only played 154 games through 1960). He also finished either 1st or 2nd in the league six times, back when they actually had a league, not divisions.

His style was to sit back and work the game through his assistant coaches. He'd say something to Ray Berres his pitching coach for example, and Berres would impliment it. He was a former catcher in MLB so he knew pitchers, he also became team captain on every team he played for so that also says something.

Go to the WSI Interviews with his former players like Billy Pierce, Jim Landis, Pete Ward, Gary Peters, Ray Herbert, Joe Horlen ect. they'll generally tell you that he was a sharp baseball guy, played the percentages, was loved by the Chicago media because he treated them fairly and also had a temper that could cut through anything if the players screwed up. He would chew them a new rear end and didn't care who knew about it. He could also carry a grudge if he had to.

Lip Lopez would have been my idol. Give no quarter take no quarter. His methods you describe are perfect for manager/ player relations and getting things done. Obviously he did. Let's hope Ozzie can follow in his footsteps.

PicktoCLick72
05-24-2005, 02:30 PM
A little too early to be talking about Ozzie as the all-time best.