PDA

View Full Version : Looking at the first pitch

Bobbo35
05-24-2005, 11:18 AM
I am sick of the whole lineup besides Uribe(freeswinger) taking the first pitch. Last night Santana was up on almost every Sox batter with first pitch strikes right down the pipeline. Konerko is king for this. Opposing teams see this, know they do not swing and throw a guaranteed strike.

Am I wrong here or should we start swinging on the first pitch?

mjharrison72
05-24-2005, 11:22 AM
As much as I hate seeing this, and you're right, Konerko very often sees the best pitch of the at-bat fly by with no intention of swinging, I'd rather take a first-pitch strike than swing for an easy pop-up or grounder on something particularly nasty.

Hitters need to walk a fine line between patience and opportunism, and I think ours have been crappy at it lately, with few exceptions (Iguchi and Rowand come to mind).

ND_Sox_Fan
05-24-2005, 11:28 AM
Late in the game they were taking a strike to force Santana to throw more pitches, and hopefully draw a walk. Unfortunately, it didn't work as Santana was on all night.

However, I agree that the approach early in the game has to be a bit more aggressive.

MisterB
05-24-2005, 11:41 AM
However, I agree that the approach early in the game has to be a bit more aggressive.

I completely disagree. Early in the game batters need to see as many pitches as possible in order to get the timing and repertoire of the opposing starter. If the pitcher's consistently getting strike one over, then you start jumping on it as the game goes on.

ND_Sox_Fan
05-24-2005, 11:51 AM
I completely disagree. Early in the game batters need to see as many pitches as possible in order to get the timing and repertoire of the opposing starter. If the pitcher's consistently getting strike one over, then you start jumping on it as the game goes on.

I am not saying evey hitter needs to. You have guys like Pods & Iguchi at the top of the order to figure the guy out. Your 3, 4, 5 hitters should be looking first pitch fastball, and if they get it jump all over it. They should be looking for a pitch to drive (middle-in) or if they are looking to go the other way, middle-out. Don't swing at pitcher's pitches when you are up in the count either. It is a mild agressiveness that includes hitting what you *should* be looking for.

ondafarm
05-24-2005, 11:51 AM
My philosophy for hitting was different based on when in the game and what I was doing.

If pinch-hitting or facing a guy who was on all night (or was getting everything within a foot of the plate called, like Santana was last night) then I had a pretty simple philosophy. The first pitch you can do something with, do it. I had more than one guy make me look bad on the first two pitches and then waste one which I'd hit hard.

If it's early in the game and I'm a regular, particularly if I'm even or ahead in the count, then I'd work the count. For awhile, if the first pitch was a ball I'd take the next two. When I started seeing too many cookies called for strikes I altered that philosophy.

My opinion is that Santana was throwing a lot of garbage and for political reasons (every home team won yesterday) the ump was calling trash strikes for him and ignoring Garland. I'd love to see the Questec report from last night.

soxrme
05-24-2005, 11:57 AM
As much as I hate seeing this, and you're right, Konerko very often sees the best pitch of the at-bat fly by with no intention of swinging, I'd rather take a first-pitch strike than swing for an easy pop-up or grounder on something particularly nasty.

Hitters need to walk a fine line between patience and opportunism, and I think ours have been crappy at it lately, with few exceptions (Iguchi and Rowand come to mind).

I think Paulie's problem is that the velcro is never tight enough on the first pitch.
He has to adjust it at least 4 times.:bandance:

Jerko
05-24-2005, 11:59 AM
I am sick of the whole lineup besides Uribe(freeswinger) taking the first pitch. Last night Santana was up on almost every Sox batter with first pitch strikes right down the pipeline. Konerko is king for this. Opposing teams see this, know they do not swing and throw a guaranteed strike.

I think it depends on who is pitching, how that team's bullpen is, and how the current game is going. Against teams with a **** bullpen and injured starters, aka, the Cubs, I can see wanting to raise the pitch count to get crazy email boy and jesus out of there and get into the bullpen. Against a rookie on a team with a good bullpen, like last night, after 2 or 3 innings the Sox should have known that he was throwing first pitch strikes to everybody and maybe should have swung at a few. It seemed they waited till they had 2 strikes on them and all bit on his slider. Give the kid credit though, he was on last night.

bluestar
05-24-2005, 12:02 PM
My opinion is that Santana was throwing a lot of garbage and for political reasons (every home team won yesterday) the ump was calling trash strikes for him and ignoring Garland. I'd love to see the Questec report from last night.

I don't know about Santana's stuff qualifying as "garbage," but I will agree that he seemed to have a very generous strike zone, especially on the outside part of the plate.

wdelaney72
05-24-2005, 12:02 PM
I tend to disagree. There's no guarantee the first pitch will be a strike or that the ump will call a strike. As we saw with Prior on Sunday and on many other occasions, you need to get the pitcher to throw as many pitches as possible.

DaleJRFan
05-24-2005, 02:13 PM

I guess you'd rather see AJ swinging at the first pitch and hitting into double plays as he did last night?

Bobbo35
05-24-2005, 03:39 PM

Let me re-phrase myself, Konerko always takes the first pitch. The problem I have is that they never jump on it besides Uribe possibly Iguchi and once in a great while AJ. We are always looking at the first pitch.

We get such good pitches too. It kills me to see them look at something they can get a good piece of.

Bobbo35
05-24-2005, 03:44 PM
I guess you'd rather see AJ swinging at the first pitch and hitting into double plays as he did last night?
Well it killed us last night when we were constantly down in the count. Take advantage of good pitches, because you know you are getting junk (like Santana did last night) the next couple of pitches.