PDA

View Full Version : New Yorkers talking 'bout our SOX too ...

Hangar18
05-24-2005, 11:06 AM
The Chicago Media will try to tell you how that other team is known and loved throughout the country. But they wont tell you how New Yorkers are talking
about the SOX. On a number of occasions, I was wearing my SOX jacket
and started chatting with 3 New York cops. The guy looks at me and asks if
Im really from Chicago. I say Yes, and he laughs "I thought everyone from Chicago was a cubs fan?" I say on the contrary, thats what the media wants you to believe". "Oh I know about all that already. So you from the South Side?" "Of course I am". Officer Marone tells me hes got some friends on the "sout(e) side" and that we really know how to party. But we start talking baseball, and one of the guys is actually a Phillies fan, and was crazy how much they knew about the game. No fly by nite, nothing cub fan-esque about these guys. These guys all had passing knowledge of the SOX. I said "hey, remember what we did in 2000?" Marone and the other cop both shrug and throw their hands at me "fuh-gett it", and remembers how pissed Steinbrenner was. Marone tells me he loves "da yanks", but that back hes also a huge Tony LaRussa fan, and loved Ron Kittle. We talked about the playoffs of 83 and he didnt miss a beat, occasionally remembering a situation but forgetting the player, and id chime in with the missing player (Squires, Dybzinski) He said thanks for us stealing Hoyt from them. I tell him im impressed with Yankee fans knowlege of the game and of the White Sox. I tell how polar-opposite we
are from cub fans and how they are basically sheep that can read newspapers. "you dont got to tell me dat", he says he sees cub fans behaving like clowns and imbeciles especially the last few years. He says
they call them "kooks" and he looks at his partners and they laugh, as if
I were let in on a private joke.

I also stopped by the Yankees Shop over by the Seaport. Of course I stood out, and the clerk asks me when Thomas is coming back. I tell him shortly
and he tells me though he loves "the yanks", Thomas and Jose Valentin were
his favorite players on the team. He says if the SOX get some more hitting, we are going to go all the way ........ I smiled and I said I hope so.

I rode the Long Island train and a Mets fan says "you guys are doing awesome this year". I tell him ive got my fingers crossed. he loves what Ozz is doing and says would be nice to see the SOX finally doing something

tschneid83
05-24-2005, 11:17 AM
Glad to read your post.... Gald to hear that other people like myself just enjoy the game of baseball and like to know what is going on in and around the league and that people actually have knowledge of our sox.

mjharrison72
05-24-2005, 11:30 AM
I agree... it's always fun to find baseball fans, no matter where you go, and especially fun when they have no axe to grind with our Sox.

I've had some great baseball conversations with some Orioles fans since I've been in DC.

FRANK FORT
05-24-2005, 12:16 PM
I'm thinking of starting up a new thread entitled "I used to hate everything New York, but times are a changing." It seems the New York media will actually write objective pieces on the Sox. It seems the baseball fans there know about other teams, and actually form opinions based on reality.

pcp1960
05-24-2005, 01:49 PM
I have a friend in New York who is a Mets fan and is an IRS Agent. He told me that the agents in his office last week were talking about the White Sox. He said that they are mostly football guys, but they were talking about the Sox. They were surprised that they were so good. So we are being talked about in New York.

Kogs35
05-24-2005, 01:58 PM
I have a friend in New York who is a Mets fan and is an IRS Agent. He told me that the agents in his office last week were talking about the White Sox. He said that they are mostly football guys, but they were talking about the Sox. They were surprised that they were so good. So we are being talked about in New York.

cool and :welcome:

SOXintheBURGH
05-24-2005, 02:03 PM
I agree... it's always fun to find baseball fans, no matter where you go, and especially fun when they have no axe to grind with our Sox.

I've had some great baseball conversations with some Orioles fans since I've been in DC.

Yeah man same here, I actually started a thread about that in Talking Baseball about me and an Orioles fan having an intelligent conversation.

steranim
05-24-2005, 02:07 PM
I live in a town of about 15,000 in NE PA and have been here for 11 years, everyone knows I'm from Chicago and a South Sider. I havn't been able to walk into a bar or restaurant or gas station in the last month without the Sox being brought up. A few are even bandwagoning ("Your turning me into a Sox fan"). So, the more we convert while we are winning...the more merchandise we will sell and the more $ we'll have to spend on some bats to keep this thing going.

Last year I was the only Sox fan in town, now I'm surrounded...and loving it!!!

downstairs
05-24-2005, 02:09 PM
White Sox Nation?

Ok. I will never use that term again, and erase it from my lexicon.

Hangar18
05-24-2005, 03:22 PM
White Sox Nation?

Ok. I will never use that term again, and erase it from my lexicon.

I like SOX ARMY much better ........ we need to be as far away from anything
cubby related as possible

soxfanforlife28
05-25-2005, 06:54 AM
The Chicago Media will try to tell you how that other team is known and loved throughout the country. But they wont tell you how New Yorkers are talking
about the SOX. On a number of occasions, I was wearing my SOX jacket
and started chatting with 3 New York cops. The guy looks at me and asks if
Im really from Chicago. I say Yes, and he laughs "I thought everyone from Chicago was a cubs fan?" I say on the contrary, thats what the media wants you to believe". "Oh I know about all that already. So you from the South Side?" "Of course I am". Officer Marone tells me hes got some friends on the "sout(e) side" and that we really know how to party. But we start talking baseball, and one of the guys is actually a Phillies fan, and was crazy how much they knew about the game. No fly by nite, nothing cub fan-esque about these guys. These guys all had passing knowledge of the SOX. I said "hey, remember what we did in 2000?" Marone and the other cop both shrug and throw their hands at me "fuh-gett it", and remembers how pissed Steinbrenner was. Marone tells me he loves "da yanks", but that back hes also a huge Tony LaRussa fan, and loved Ron Kittle. We talked about the playoffs of 83 and he didnt miss a beat, occasionally remembering a situation but forgetting the player, and id chime in with the missing player (Squires, Dybzinski) He said thanks for us stealing Hoyt from them. I tell him im impressed with Yankee fans knowlege of the game and of the White Sox. I tell how polar-opposite we
are from cub fans and how they are basically sheep that can read newspapers. "you dont got to tell me dat", he says he sees cub fans behaving like clowns and imbeciles especially the last few years. He says
they call them "kooks" and he looks at his partners and they laugh, as if
I were let in on a private joke.

I also stopped by the Yankees Shop over by the Seaport. Of course I stood out, and the clerk asks me when Thomas is coming back. I tell him shortly
and he tells me though he loves "the yanks", Thomas and Jose Valentin were
his favorite players on the team. He says if the SOX get some more hitting, we are going to go all the way ........ I smiled and I said I hope so.

I rode the Long Island train and a Mets fan says "you guys are doing awesome this year". I tell him ive got my fingers crossed. he loves what Ozz is doing and says would be nice to see the SOX finally doing somethingEnjoyed the post thats pretty neat on the kind of reaction u get from opposing fans. That sounded simular to me when i went to pnc park last yr and was wearing my sox gear. And these fans ask, I figured most fans in chicago were flubs fans. ANd I asked why would u think that. ANd they said cuz we was the redheaded step child of chicago. I told em i wasnt from chicago but grew up in Nw indiana which close to the south side. And not not to believe what all the media hype is bringing onto your tvs. Nice ppl though.Enjoyed talking with pirates fans about baseball. And i was surprised how much they knew about are sox dating back to the 59 world series. Which goes to show ya there is decent ppl out there just occasional times u run into arrogance or lack of respect or knowledge. Go SOX!!

elrod
05-25-2005, 10:04 AM
Not surprised at all. New Yorkers are great people. New York baseball fans are not poseurs. If they're Yankee fans then they're probably arrogant. But at least they know their stuff. And if they're Mets fans then they probably have an existing affinity for the White Sox - a mutual hatred of the Cubs (kind of like in St. Louis) and annoyance at being treated like a second-class citizen in your own city. It worked for me, as a kid growing up in northern New Jersey. I'm still a Mets and White Sox fan.

Mark
05-25-2005, 12:08 PM
Hangar18:

Were you able to find a place in NYC to watch the Wrigley games?

Hangar18
05-25-2005, 01:02 PM
Hangar18:

Were you able to find a place in NYC to watch the Wrigley games?

Nope. the jags at ESPN wouldnt put the SOX on on saturday afternoon.
Something about blackout rules mumbo jumbo. So on Sunday, I watched
the game at some pizza place on Long Island.

Fake Chet Lemon
05-25-2005, 01:38 PM
This is a cool thread. Good to hear. Living here sometimes I get jaded and think nobody but Sox fans really know anything about baseball because of all the Cub fans I run into. I love the game and love to hear about others (besides us) being passionate about it. When I see 40,000 in Anaheim throwing beach balls around in a close game I start to assume fans around the nation are all like Cub fans.

rwcescato
05-25-2005, 04:53 PM
Glad to read your post.... Gald to hear that other people like myself just enjoy the game of baseball and like to know what is going on in and around the league and that people actually have knowledge of our sox.

I agree. That is awesome. Almost gives you goosebumps that other teams fans are talking about us that way. Good post.

Rich

swanson24
05-26-2005, 04:47 PM
While I was at college last year in Quincy Illinois I realized for the first time that there are Sox fans and supporters outside of Chicago. One of my friends at school grew up a Yankees and later turned into a White Sox fan. I couldn't believe that a person could like both of those teams. It turns out that my friend was originally from upstate New York and later moved to Southern Illinois. In other words he grew up a Yankees fan and later embraced the White Sox once he came to the great state of Illinois. Great thread! :cheers: