Mickster
05-24-2005, 09:37 AM
Sure he could.

chaerulez
05-24-2005, 09:38 AM
And he IS worse than Vizcaino.

He gone
05-24-2005, 09:43 AM
Graves would be a good pick up for the Scrubs, but I wouldn't want him.

I was kind of hoping the Scrubs would have picked up Billy Koch :D:

Tekijawa
05-24-2005, 09:53 AM
Um he was cut by the Reds... my guess is it wasn't because he was too good for their team!

fincher
05-24-2005, 09:59 AM
Sign him if he clears waivers since it will be cheap at ~$300,000. The guy was awesome last year. Vizcaino makes me nervous.

JRIG
05-24-2005, 10:08 AM
Um he was cut by the Reds... my guess is it wasn't because he was too good for their team!

If you are released by the Reds, your career is ****ing over.

Danny graves is probably the luckiest pitcher of the past decade. He was never very good.

mjharrison72
05-24-2005, 10:17 AM
:threadsucks

As unimpressive as Vizcaino has looked lately, we are not the ballclub in this town with bullpen trouble.
Stop the crying already about giving up a couple of runs, forget about signing Graves, regardless of his closing experience. Remember how "experienced" Billy Koch was when we got him, and he got run out of this town on a rail. Graves is a shaky answer to a question we don't need to ask.

Hangar18
05-24-2005, 10:22 AM
Vizcaino makes me nervous.

Luis Vizcaino makes me NAUSEOUS. The guy is horrible. He is Mike Jackson 2005. I got to catch the sunday game in NY, and the McCarthy was awesome, and for some reason, Ozz takes him out. I was FURIOUS and yelling at the TV seeing who was warming up. Vizcaino took about 5 pitches to give the lead right back to them. That was TERRIBLE, BMac shouldve gotten the win, can you imagine the storylines ?????? The Media I noticed were only too happy to make it look like THe Messiah shut the sox down. I was telling some New Yorkers during the game, every time The Messiah struck someone out, they showed a blue-sheeped fan putting a K out. Looked nice and cute, except that BMac struck out as many as he did ......until they finally stopped showing it, knowing the FLAK they were going to receive if BMac stayed in the game and struck out 10. I hate chicago sometimes ............. That was a stupid move on Ozzies part. Win the games your supposed to win Ozz doggone it !!!!!! I see he was pissed about the questions afterwards, too bad, that was a dumb move. He puts his worst pitcher into a game that he can lose, and thats just what happened. That guy is useless right now ........

fincher
05-24-2005, 10:23 AM
Maybe lucky; maybe not. Its still a bargain if he clears waivers. I read where he flipped off a fan over the weekend and that was the last straw. A new, winning environment might do wonders and its worth a try.

Look at it another way: if anyone thinks the Sox will not need to tinker with the roster this summer is just plain crazy. ALL teams in a pennant race require it and the Sox bullpen has some small holes. Vizcaino is shaky and Takatsu is as well.

I'm all for doing whatever is necessary.

Hangar18
05-24-2005, 10:28 AM
Thing is, hes been our worst pitcher for a while now. We had other options.
Absolutely no reason to bring in our worst pitcher, with the wind blowing out,
and the game on the line. Dumb Move again Ozz. I hate when Ozz has Jerry Manuel lapses ........

Sxy Mofo
05-24-2005, 10:41 AM
I don't disagree with the pulling of mcC on sunday, because of the logic that ramirez was locked on. I do disagree with the guy he put in though.

hold2dibber
05-24-2005, 10:46 AM
Look at it another way: if anyone thinks the Sox will not need to tinker with the roster this summer is just plain crazy. ALL teams in a pennant race require it and the Sox bullpen has some small holes. Vizcaino is shaky and Takatsu is as well.

I'm all for doing whatever is necessary.

I agree with the sentiment, but I just don't think Graves is an upgrade over what we already have. Just because he's available doesn't mean he's any good.

fincher
05-24-2005, 10:46 AM
I don't disagree with the pulling of mcC on sunday, because of the logic that ramirez was locked on. I do disagree with the guy he put in though.

Ditto!

santo=dorf
05-24-2005, 10:57 AM
Just for discussion,

Suppose Danny Graves decides to sign with the best team in baseball. How long would we have to wait to trade him to a team that is actually interested in him?:?:

tstrike2000
05-24-2005, 11:06 AM
Signing Graves would be a very bad move, regardless of whether he was unfairly let go or not. According to the article I read, Graves has been a career reliever until they tried him in the rotation in '03, wearing out his arm enough where his fastball went from 94 to 88 mph. We have someone that throws that hard already in Shingo and at least Shingo can change speeds. It would be the second coming of Billy Krotch if we got him.

Brian26
05-24-2005, 11:32 AM
Danny graves is probably the luckiest pitcher of the past decade. He was never very good.

He'll never be able to reproduce what he did between 2002-2004. Total luck.

Lip Man 1
05-24-2005, 11:43 AM
Story in the Tribune today quoting Williams as saying he's always trying to improve the team (referencing to Graves being designated for assignment..)

Lip

JB98
05-24-2005, 12:23 PM
The Reds are 16-28 entering today's play, according to my morning Cubune. They are terrible. If a terrible team like that has no use for Danny Graves, then I have no use for Danny Graves.

I swear to God, every time we lose a game we get people on here who want to tinker with the roster. And it's always the fringe guys that we are trying to run out of town: "Release Timo," "Send Willie to Charlotte," "End the Vizcaino Experiment," "Take Cotts out back and shoot him," etc., etc., etc.

If it weren't for Perez, Harris, Vizcaino and Cotts, we'd be 45-0, right? I think we're doing pretty good with the guys we got. I'll wait until July 1st or so before I start thinking about what moves we need to make. Let's see how the team looks once Frank gets back, and let's see which of our struggling players pick it up and which ones don't. I still think Vizcaino is going to be an asset for us before it's all said and done.

Sargeant79
05-24-2005, 01:10 PM
Avoid Graves. He had a great couple years, but he appears to have lost his stuff. His fastball has declined in velocity and he just can't seem to get guys out. Even at the minimum salary, he would be no better than anyone we already have in the bullpen, including Vizcaino.

And for the record, I also think pulling Bmac was the right move at the right time on Sunday...I just would have liked to see a different replacement.

Jjav829
05-24-2005, 01:48 PM
He'll never be able to reproduce what he did between 2002-2004. Total luck.

:?:

Maybe I'm missing something, but 2003 was his worst year. That was the year when he went into the rotation and was bad. The year before he had 32 saves and a 3.19 ERA. The year after he had 41 saves and a 3.95 ERA. His best year came in 2000 and he was pretty good in the late 90s.

MRKARNO
05-24-2005, 03:33 PM
I'm generally a Neal Cotts detractor (though I'm starting to come around), but I think more highly of him than Danny Graves.

ChicagoHoosier
05-24-2005, 03:35 PM
He puts an awful lot of runners on base. How is that better than what we've got already?

He also has a pretty high ERA. Both of those scare me into thinking what we've got now is just as good or better.

rowand33
05-24-2005, 04:08 PM
Graves is bad. he lucked into a good first half last year on a hot Reds team.

Sure he had 41 saves last year, but in 50 attempts. converting 80% of saves isn't acceptable.

And his second half numbers last year were awful:
0-3 8 Svs 7.23 ERA 1.98 WHIP .349 BAA in 19 outings.

since the all star game last year, his numbers are:
37 IP 1-4 18 SVs 7.30 ERA 19 K 20 BB

why would anybody wanna sign this guy?

It's a shame too. The Reds ruined his career by putting him in the rotation.