PDA

View Full Version : Crazy Carl's open stance with 2 strikes

mjharrison72
05-24-2005, 10:28 AM
I was watching the Angels broadcast last night through MLB.com, and the announcers were marveling at how close to the plate Carl Everett was standing, and how close his stance was. And I said out loud, wait until he gets two strikes on him. Sure enough, he got another strike, and they spent the rest of the at-bat discussing how major-leaguers make so many adjustments, not only from plate appearance to plate appearance, but even within a single at-bat.

Now, I KNEW Carl was going to open his stance with two strikes... he always does, at least when he's batting from the left side. My question is why does he do that? Is it because it's just easier for him to be able to fight off close pitches from there? If so, why doesn't he stand more open all the time, or does he sacrifice power that way? Or is it so that if the pitcher throws inside on him, he can turn on one and drive it down the RF line? If so, what pitcher in his right mind would throw inside on him? It seems to me this wasn't an "adjustment," as the LAA announcers were thinking, but just the way Carl bats. I need some *real* insight!

ondafarm
05-24-2005, 10:36 AM
I'm a fairly big guy and I always stood close to the plate. A lot of batters will actually open up a bit when they get two strikes. It is always easier to dive towards an outside pitch and protect the plate than pull back and protect the inside part of the plate. It has to do with where your 'sweet' zone is and where you're just trying to protect. If a pitcher has just aced one on the inside corner, you always think he can do it again. If he is going to prove he can ace the outside corner and the inside corner then he has a good shot at getting you out. Unfortunately, this sort of 'react to the previous pitch' philosophy is fairly rampant among major leaguers. It's why smart pitchers with mediocre stuff (ala Buehrle or Maddux) can still be big winners.

As a catcher, if the batter didn't adjust to what we'd just thrown for a strike, I'd call the same pitch same location again. Only a few guys made me look bad on that. (I.Suzukii being one.)

veeter
05-24-2005, 11:04 AM
This is Everetts last line of defense. It's his comfort stance to just make good contact. His swings are shorter out of this stance and is looking to put the ball in play. Yes, Carl looks goofy but he's proven to be a professional hitter and I don't question him.

ND_Sox_Fan
05-24-2005, 11:23 AM
Carl's stance with less than two strikes causes him to stride quite a ways. This stride also moves his head and eyes, which makes solid contact more difficult, but the weight transfer he gets allows him greater power.

With two strikes, he widens out to decrease head movement and increase contact.

MarkyBear
05-24-2005, 12:07 PM
LMAO!!! :D:

I saw the same thing and couldn't believe the Angels anouncers with their "Oh my GOD!!! :o: Look at how he's changed his stance with 2 strikes, OH MY!!! :o: "

Nice job of doing some research on your oppenets guys! :cool:

tstrike2000
05-24-2005, 12:09 PM
Carl's stance with less than two strikes causes him to stride quite a ways. This stride also moves his head and eyes, which makes solid contact more difficult, but the weight transfer he gets allows him greater power.

With two strikes, he widens out to decrease head movement and increase contact.

What he said.

Brian26
05-24-2005, 01:36 PM
The best part of Carl's stance is how he does that little "look behind his shoulder for a second" right before the pitcher releases the ball.

ma_deuce
05-24-2005, 01:49 PM
LMAO!!! :D:

I saw the same thing and couldn't believe the Angels anouncers with their "Oh my GOD!!! :o: Look at how he's changed his stance with 2 strikes, OH MY!!! :o: "

Nice job of doing some research on your oppenets guys! :cool:

They also said that the Sox traded away Maggs. Idiots.

mjharrison72
05-24-2005, 02:00 PM
They also said that the Sox traded away Maggs. Idiots.
I heard that, too... although I think it was an honest mistake, in the context of talking about the Sox "trading" (read: getting rid of/not re-signing) power hitters like C. Lee, Maggs and Valentin.
They were clearly more interested in inflating the ego of that young pitcher.

skobabe8
05-24-2005, 05:41 PM
I used to want him to get 2 strikes on him in spring training. It seemed like when he went to the stance he was alot more dangerous. I'd be willing to wager the majority of his home runs in spring training came out of that stance.