PDA

View Full Version : Schedule questions

Frater Perdurabo
05-24-2005, 09:03 AM
I will not say the schedule is unfair, but I do have some questions about it.

1. Why do the Sox have to make five separate trips to the West Coast?

April 25-27 Oakland
May 23-26 Anaheim (and then to Texas without a day off)
June 6-12 Colorado & San Diego (and then home without a day off)
July 1-3 Oakland (and then home without a day off)
August 26-28 Seattle (and then to Texas without a day off)

These five West Coast trips should have been consolidated into three trips. One early season trip to Oakland and Anaheim, the interleague trip to Colorado and San Diego, and one late-season trip to Oakland and Seattle.

2. Why is the last game of this series with the Angels on Thursday night a 9:05 CDT start (7:05 local time), particularly when the Sox then have to fly to Texas for a game on Friday?

It seems to me the Thursday game at Anaheim should be a day game - preferably a 1:05 PDT start. It's no problem for the Angels; they remain at home to play Kansas City on Friday. And it's not as if the Angels never play home weekday games; they play the Twins at 1:05 PDT Wednesday, June 6 (the Twins to travel to Kansas City for a game the next day) and the Orioles at 1:05 PDT Thursday, August 4 (the Orioles to fly to Texas for a game the next day). None of these games are scheduled to be nationally televised, and the Angels remain at home for the next series in each instance. Why don't the Sox get the same courtesy?

I know other teams endure similar scheduling issues, so it probably evens out for everyone. I don't consider the Sox "victims."

But if MLB wants the best quality play on the field on as many days as possible, they really ought to reduce the number of times teams have to travel long distances, particularly without off days!

Discuss.

D. TODD
05-24-2005, 09:10 AM
At the start of the season, I liked the fact that the west coast trips were split up. My thinking was that it may prevent a long losing streak, considering how poorly we have played on the left coast. I do see your point of this becoming a negative with more frequent long trips to deal with. I defiantly agree that Thursday should be a "get away" day game for the Sox, I have no idea why it isn't.

SoxFan78
05-24-2005, 09:10 AM
I don't understand why we are playing Oakland twice in Oakland. Maybe its the way the schedule makers made it, but I don't recall us going twice to oakland in recent history.

I would rather us take to trips to NY or Boston then the West coast any day.

Frater Perdurabo
05-24-2005, 09:19 AM
I don't understand why we are playing Oakland twice in Oakland. Maybe its the way the schedule makers made it, but I don't recall us going twice to oakland in recent history.

I would rather us take to trips to NY or Boston then the West coast any day.

I can understand this, since we're just playing one series in Anaheim and one in Seattle (two in Oakland, two in Texas). This seems fair to me. We get home series with Anaheim and Seattle twice while Texas and Oakland only come to play the Sox at home once each. That part evens out.

From the Sox perspective, it's the lack of getaway day early start time games and/or off days on the West Coast that bothers me, as well as the sheer number of trips out West.

From the MLB perspective, why would the league delilberately (they make the schedule, after all!) put teams (not just the Sox) in situations where they won't be at their best in a certain number of games throughout the season? Don't they want to have all the teams playing under the best conditions?

Lip Man 1
05-24-2005, 11:16 AM
Just wondering....raise your hand if you 'like' the goofy, insane, moronic unbalanced schedule?

That's why the Sox go to Oakland twice this season. It happens with some team every season...the Sox have gone to Baltimore twice in the past for example, the numbers don't add up and all teams have to go through some funky set up's when playing 162 games.

Thanks Bud!

But the fact is this not being able to win on the West Coast is a real serious problem. Odds are if the Sox make the post season they'll be playing the Angels (as long as they get the #1 seed...)

Since the start of 2001 they have changed managers and changed players and still can't win. This is friggin ridiculous. It has cost them dearly in the past and may do so again this season. The Twins aren't going away and they don't have any West Coast troubles do they?

My only thought is this is now a self fulfilling prophecy. It's all mental. Even new guys have heard of the struggles and they tighten up.

Lip

AZChiSoxFan
05-24-2005, 11:44 AM
Just wondering....raise your hand if you 'like' the goofy, insane, moronic unbalanced schedule?

That's why the Sox go to Oakland twice this season. It happens with some team every season...the Sox have gone to Baltimore twice in the past for example, the numbers don't add up and all teams have to go through some funky set up's when playing 162 games.

Thanks Bud!

Lip

Me....Hand raised

Sure. Who wants all those exciting games vs. division rival Minnesota? I totally agree with you. I would much rather only play Minn 9 games a year and get another 9 games added on vs. Tampa.

Lip Man 1
05-24-2005, 12:01 PM
You also get more then one chance to see the Red Sox and Yankees... helping Sox attendance don't you? You also reduce the West Coast Curse don't you?

Yea I love playing those Royals 19 times a season and the putrid Tigers too!

Lip

the gooch
05-24-2005, 06:25 PM
i wish to see the unbalanced schedule disappear. i love the sox-minnesota games, but 19 in a year is too many. it also feeds into the rich-get-richer format of mlb because the east coast gets more fans with the red sox and yanks. interleague needs to be scaled back too. if for no other reason, the unbalanced schedule should go so that espn can report the other things that happened in sports on those 19 days of boston-nyy. (think about it, thats over half a month every year!)

for the AL, id like to see every team play each other 12 times a year, and the remaining 6 games go to interleague - 3 to rival, 3 to other NL team. that way, the wild card race is even, and when the dodgers or other nl teams come to town, it will be like once in 30 years and truly will be special.

it is a tragedy that there are 16 nl and 14 al teams. why did this happen? i know the brewers switched leagues a few years back, was that before the d-rays, florida, arizona expansion? if it was after, how could selig have allowed his crying poor in the al to get in the way of mlb's balance of leagues? there was/is some shady stuff going on. its even more stupid when you think of montreal's move from the NL east to ... the NL east. why give a city a third chance of carrying a franchise when portland and vegas also wanted one?

sorry for the rant.

Hendu
05-24-2005, 06:40 PM
But the fact is this not being able to win on the West Coast is a real serious problem. Odds are if the Sox make the post season they'll be playing the Angels (as long as they get the #1 seed...)

Since the start of 2001 they have changed managers and changed players and still can't win. This is friggin ridiculous. It has cost them dearly in the past and may do so again this season. The Twins aren't going away and they don't have any West Coast troubles do they?

My only thought is this is now a self fulfilling prophecy. It's all mental. Even new guys have heard of the struggles and they tighten up.

Lip

The Sox have not won a series in Anaheim since...1994?!? Since they won that series 11 years ago they are 13-38 in Anaheim. Wow.

Fenway
05-24-2005, 06:57 PM
Everybody is griping

Seems MLB fired the people that had been doing it and went with a new company in Pittsburgh (cheaper?)

The Red Sox schedule is idiotic
http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2005/05/22/kapler_is_pining_for_a_return?pg=full

http://www.sports-scheduling.com/

Kinks in schedule weren't worked out

The Red Sox are not wild about a schedule that has saddled them with two single-series homestands already this season, including this weekend's three-game set against the Braves, which is sandwiched between a West Coast trip and a six-game swing through Toronto and New York.

Last year, MLB hired a new firm, Sports Scheduling Group of Butler, Pa., to do the 2005 schedule; for the previous 24 years, the husband-and-wife team from Martha's Vineyard, Henry and Holly Stephenson, had done it.

Sports Scheduling Group is also a small operation, with much of the work done by two professors: Michael Trick, from the Tepper School of Business at Carnegie-Mellon, and George Nemhauser, professor of industrial and systems engineering at Georgia Tech. A third key member is Doug Bureman, a former vice president of business operations for the Pirates.

Their challenge was to come up with a 162-game schedule for 30 teams, a total of 2,430 games. The Stephensons, meanwhile, are working on a draft for the 2006 season in hopes of being rehired

''Everybody always has gripes about the schedule," said Katy Feeney, baseball's senior vice president for scheduling and club relations. ''There's always bits and pieces of the schedule that clubs don't like. Single-series homestands are something we try to minimize, but we can't eliminate them. "

As for interleague play, next season MLB will revert to corresponding divisions for the first time since 2001, which means the Sox could face Pedro Martinez.