PDA

View Full Version : Sox vs rookie pitchers.

Chek2002
05-24-2005, 09:44 AM
Why have the Sox had so much trouble against rookie pitchers. Santana got killed in his first start vs Cleveland, the worst hitting team. Yet last night he pitches like a Cy-Young. It seems like that every rookie pitcher we have faced the last several years has shut the Sox down. Has anyone else notice this with the Sox.

FedEx227
05-24-2005, 09:48 AM
Don't forget Doug Waechter from the Devil Rays, I was there last year when he completely dominated us.

Sxy Mofo
05-24-2005, 10:00 AM
Add the opposing rookie pitcher, + emotional and physical drain after playing the cubs and then flying long distance + the west coast= too much for the sox to overcome. They better pull their collective head out today

Paulwny
05-24-2005, 10:07 AM
Just a question, don't know the answer. Do the sox have a large enough body of minor league and advance scouts to evaluate the pitches and tendencies of rookie pitchers thus giving the sox players and coaches some info to go by ?

SOXintheBURGH
05-24-2005, 10:10 AM
Anaheim/California/LA just flat out has a good team. I think I'd be more scared of facing them in the playoffs than New York or the Red Cubs.

bluestar
05-24-2005, 10:18 AM
In years past this was definitely true, but I don't think last night is indication that this is continuing this year. Santana had great command last night, something he didn't have against Cleveland, and I think the Sox mental and physical fatigue played a big role. Any time you have a pitcher that can locate a mid-to-upper 90 mph fastball and use breaking stuff as an out pitch like Santana did last night, you are going to have problems; I don't care if the pitcher is a rookie or a veteran.

DrCrawdad
05-24-2005, 10:20 AM
The Sox have, as noted, scuffled against rookie pitchers in the past. From what I saw last night though Ervin Santana is unlike some of the scrubs the Sox have struggled against in the past.

Ervin Santana would have dominated most, if not all, teams last night. The fact that the Indians hit him in his first start doesn't mean much to me. Santana pitched a great game last night. I don't think it's a mark against the Sox.

mjharrison72
05-24-2005, 10:21 AM
I was watching the game on MLB.TV, so I was getting the Angels call... the announcers (who were pretty lame, I might add), said Santana had really slowed down his rhythm compared to his previous start. Which is funny, because one of the things I was noticing about him was that he seemed to be in a pretty *quick* rhythm. They also said he was locating all three of his pitches well, especially his change-up. It sounds like the Angels have really high hopes for this kid, and the battering he got in his first start was more the product of some jitters and some mechanics that just needed a major-league pitching coach's advice.

He gone
05-24-2005, 10:50 AM
The Sox have always had problems with pitchers that they have never seen before, but I will agree with everyone else, Santanta had some good stuff last night.

bluestar
05-24-2005, 11:01 AM
The amazing thing to me is that the Angels said they were probably going to send Santana back down as soon as Escobar is ready to go again (possibly by this weekend). I think I would at least give him one more start to see if he is still as dominant.

Hokiesox
05-24-2005, 11:03 AM
Maybe we have a problem against people named Santana.

Stroker Ace
05-24-2005, 11:05 AM
Don't forget Doug Waechter from the Devil Rays, I was there last year when he completely dominated us.Don't remind me of that.
:angry:

buehrle4cy05
05-24-2005, 11:07 AM
Santana had one of the best sliders I have ever seen working last night. Maybe just getting rocked in his last start had him figure it out.

Baby Fisk
05-24-2005, 11:20 AM
Just a question, don't know the answer. Do the sox have a large enough body of minor league and advance scouts to evaluate the pitches and tendencies of rookie pitchers thus giving the sox players and coaches some info to go by ?
I was thinking this too. The first time through the order, our guys look go down quickly. The second time around, they make some contact, but are still perplexed. By the third time around, they are frustrated and look even worse, while the pitcher's confidence is rising. Are Sox hitters not getting enough info on new pitchers? New pitchers have made this team look awful the past couple of years.

Lip Man 1
05-24-2005, 12:09 PM
I'll never forget two seasons ago, the Sox were in Texas and lost to some unknown medioce pitcher (Benoit?). On the post game show Bill Melton was red in the fact and his words were clipped....'the same thing again...'

He was pissed.

Last night SOS.

Lip