PDA

View Full Version : What is up with Juan Uribe???

chisoxfanatic
05-24-2005, 12:35 AM
Uribe is looking very much like Slappy Caruso out there, free-swinging at ANY and EVERYTHING. He's looking very undisciplined at the plate. If it weren't for his defense, I'd want Ozzie to bench him for a day or two. Uribe must spend extra time in the batting cages, because it's ticking lots of people off...

NorthlakeTom
05-24-2005, 12:43 AM
He went through a similar phase last year. I think he'll be fine in the long run. His defense alone is worth paying him for.

batmanZoSo
05-24-2005, 12:50 AM
And his deking ability is equaled by no one.

ShoelessJoeS
05-24-2005, 01:22 AM
you got that right batman...gotta love pissing off the cubs

owensmouth
05-24-2005, 04:17 AM
He went through a similar phase last year. I think he'll be fine in the long run. His defense alone is worth paying him for.Yeah, he did. Two months of batting .140. His defense isn't that good that we can put up with another period like that. For this team to be successful, we need Uribe to contribute offensively. We will whither and die just like last year if he and Crede continue on their present course.

JRIG
05-24-2005, 06:45 AM
Uribe is looking very much like Slappy Caruso out there, free-swinging at ANY and EVERYTHING. He's looking very undisciplined at the plate.

This part shouldn't be a surprise. He's been like this at the plate his entire career.

fincher
05-24-2005, 06:50 AM
What is up with Joe Crede? I am more concerned about him than Uribe. Crede looks awful at the plate and he made a costly error on Timo's throw. The Sox looked lifeless last night...definitely the worst performance of the season, though Garland pitched OK.

34 Inch Stick
05-24-2005, 08:03 AM
Guys, I hate to break this to you but Uribe IS undisciplined at the plate and Crede IS awful.

PaleHoseGeorge
05-24-2005, 08:27 AM
Guys, I hate to break this to you but Uribe IS undisciplined at the plate and Crede IS awful.

For some people the dream dies hard, doesn't it?
:wink:

The Sox have the best record in baseball and even though they lost last night, they lost nothing to the Twins. So far so good... but looking for ways to improve is still important.

The offense definitely could use a shot in the arm, not that it's important since pitching and defense wins ballgames.

:cool:

mccoydp
05-24-2005, 08:29 AM
Uribe is looking very much like Slappy Caruso out there, free-swinging at ANY and EVERYTHING. He's looking very undisciplined at the plate. If it weren't for his defense, I'd want Ozzie to bench him for a day or two. Uribe must spend extra time in the batting cages, because it's ticking lots of people off...

Crazy Carl's been free-swinging as of late as well...is Juan rubbing off on him, too? I've seen some crazy swingin' lately!

Chek2002
05-24-2005, 08:40 AM
I think the Sox need to bench Uribe and Crede for a few games. They have been sure outs the last several games.

JRIG
05-24-2005, 08:42 AM
The offense definitely could use a shot in the arm, not that it's important since pitching and defense wins ballgames.

:cool:

I know! Let's trade Frank Thomas to the Angels (a team we might face in the playoffs) for a hitter who won't produce half as much as Thomas will!

Thanks for the idea, Mr. DeLuca!

:kukoo:

alohafri
05-24-2005, 08:46 AM

And you just noticed this now about Uribe? As long as he has been on the team he swings hard in case he hits it.

jenmcm76
05-24-2005, 09:00 AM
What's up with Uribe? His strikeout total. :tongue:

mjharrison72
05-24-2005, 09:34 AM
Something else I noticed about Uribe last night is how freaking huge his arms are... has he always been that big, or is this something we should be concerned about?

LVSoxFan
05-24-2005, 09:45 AM
Crede's always been feast-or-famine and Uribe is the Streakmeister. It's just especially painful right now because all in all, Garland pitched a good game last night that we should have backed him up on offensively.

Sure they were hitting him, but a lot of it was crap bloop singles and broken bat hits. Crede's drop was key--that would have erased those first two runs.

Or would it have? Because when you have our anemic offense, it just becomes a matter of time when the opponent just waits for the pitcher makes a mistake, knowing that we can't come back. Also, as the pitchers always say, putting a lead behind them gives them a psychological edge.

Garland was in the hole the entire game and still managed to give up only three runs on a bunch of hits--in any other game that's a win. Even he said he'll take that performance any time--who can disagree.

So what does one do with Crede/Uribe? Do you make them spend hours in the batting cage? I don't know how this works in the majors...

SpammySosa
05-24-2005, 09:57 AM
What's up with Uribe? His strikeout total. :tongue:

You come up with the best sigs! :D:

veeter
05-24-2005, 10:06 AM
Also what's wrong with Crede? Those runs should have been unearned to Garland. Crede needs to pick up his energy. That was 2004 Crede.

pssondacubs
05-24-2005, 10:53 AM
So what does one do with Crede/Uribe? Do you make them spend hours in the batting cage? I don't know how this works in the majors...

Keep Uribe because of his defense. Go out and see what Crede can get in a trade when it gets closer to the playoffs. I'm not sure what the Sox have to use at 3rd without Crede, but it can't get a whole lot worse as a whole than it's been the last few years... Anyone got Robin's number????

fincher
05-24-2005, 10:57 AM
Keep Uribe because of his defense. Go out and see what Crede can get in a trade when it gets closer to the playoffs.

Amen! Well said.

JRIG
05-24-2005, 10:57 AM
Keep Uribe because of his defense. Go out and see what Crede can get in a trade when it gets closer to the playoffs. I'm not sure what the Sox have to use at 3rd without Crede, but it can't get a whole lot worse as a whole than it's been the last few years... Anyone got Robin's number????

Greg Norton is hitting pretty well at AAA, but I think we've seen that movie before.

samram
05-24-2005, 11:02 AM
Greg Norton is hitting pretty well at AAA, but I think we've seen that movie before.

Yeah, we've seen it, and it was bad. Crede, despite his dropping a ball last night, is a very good defender and will come up with some big hits for this team. One problem for Crede, it seems, is everytime he makes a mistake in the field, it really hurts the Sox, and therefore, it appears he's making more mistakes than he really is. As for his hitting, I think he would do well to get his hands higher when he sets up. With a swing as long as his is right now, that could help him get to the ball quicker because he is late on everything.

wdelaney72
05-24-2005, 11:10 AM
This is why Uribe and Crede bat at the bottom of the order. Crede and Uribe are not hitting any differently than they have in years past. I give Crede more of a pass than Uribe cause he has a little more plate discipline than Uribe. Uribe has GOT to learn to be more selective. That guy has never met a pitch he didn't like. But as other's have said, this is nothing new.

Crede and Uribe are the 2 weakest hitters in the lineup, which is why they find themselves at the bottom of the order. Not everyone is going to hit .300. They play quality defense and once in a while, Crede can give us a clutch hit. Fortunately, we upgraded our lineup at Catcher and 2B. With our pitching and defense, it's not the end of the world that we have these 2 in our lineup. We are in 1st place, afterall.