PDA

View Full Version : *Official* Yet another freak out, spazz Postgame Thread

Parrothead
05-24-2005, 12:14 AM
I don't know about everyone else but I am tired of Vizcaino not doing the job. Apparently, he needs more work perhaps he can work out the kinks in the Minors.

P.S. I know he did not blow the game tonight.

chisoxfanatic
05-24-2005, 12:19 AM
He did give up another run, though. He shouldn't be put out there very often.

MUsoxfan
05-24-2005, 12:20 AM
Minus the CLE game and the past 2 games, I recall him being very solid. He'll be fine. A little work with Coop will do him some good.

Parrothead
05-24-2005, 12:23 AM
Minus the CLE game and the past 2 games, I recall him being very solid. He'll be fine. A little work with Coop will do him some good.

I don't see it happening. I hope I am wrong but I see the 2005 version of Dick Tidrow circa 1983.

Viva Medias B's
05-24-2005, 12:26 AM
He has an ERA over 6. How does that work out for you?

Palpidious
05-24-2005, 12:27 AM
he ****in sucks and ozzie puts him out there AGAIN!

ChicagoHoosier
05-24-2005, 12:28 AM
I was really rooting for him to pitch a solid inning and show all of us that he was worth trading for as part of the Lee/Pods deal. But, he showed once again he's very susceptible to the long ball. I'd like to see him succeed - tonight was a good night for him to get on track and not sure he did.

Did you guys here that righties were only 1-25 vs. Cotts? It's the lefties batting over 350 or something vs. him?

Viva Medias B's
05-24-2005, 12:28 AM
The loss does not bother me that much considering:

Minnesota lost.
We were playing at Anaheim.
The only thing that will make my butt sting will be mediots and moronic Cub fans saying that the Cubs are going to rise in the NL Central and overtake the Cardinals while we'll be overtaken by Minnesota. They'll point to Sunday's loss as the turning point.

MUsoxfan
05-24-2005, 12:29 AM
He has an ERA over 6. How does that work out for you?

I blame that inflated ERA on that game against Cleveland where he got rocked because there were no pitchers left in the pen. He was hung out to dry

chisoxmike
05-24-2005, 12:30 AM
Horrible horrible game. I'm going to sleep this one off.

Omeed
5 for the last almost 70 out of our 8 and 9 hitters tonight just plain sucks. we need some offensive help from the left side of our infield.

soltrain21
The kid was flat out dealing, and good for him. Seemed liked he couldn't have been happier for him.

Looks like he could have a good career ahead of him. It is exciting to see a young kid like that pitch so well, it sucks it had to be against us.

Parrothead
05-24-2005, 12:31 AM

Minnesota lost.
The only thing that will make my butt sting will be mediots and moronic Cub fans saying that

The loss bothers me because again they lay an egg on the West Coast. I heard DJ say that they are 10 - 37 in Anahiem in the last ten years. Not sure if that is right but YIKES !!!!! That is horrible. What is it about the West Coast? I need an explanation.

MUsoxfan
05-24-2005, 12:32 AM
I'm not too upset. Garland couldn't be undefeated all year long, and the Sox went 43 games w/o getting shutout. I look for a solid outing tomorrow. Crede and Uribe are the only upsetting things about this team right now as far as I'm concerned

brewcrew/chisox
I think it's safe to bring this one out in dedication to the Sox performance tonight:

:corpseball

samram
Ha ha ha. I just had a dream that Ervin Santana shut out the Sox on five hits. Hilarious stuff. Oh, wait....

You know, how about if the Sox just give teams on the coast a series victory and save the expense of flying out there?:D:

Sox of White
Garland's streak was bound to end, but with a shutout? That hurts. Sorry Garland, you did good tonight.

DickAllen72
I wish Crede would have caught that perfect throw from Timo. Those first two runs would never have scored and the game may have turned out differently.

Then again, the way Santana pitched, maybe not!

Oh well..... :(:

SluggersAway
Viz always gets the call in the worst spots. Runners on base is not the ideal position to start with, I doubt any of our pitchers would be doing much better. He has been relatively solid given what he's had to work with.

ChicagoHoosier
05-24-2005, 12:33 AM
Wanted to get my thought posted on this thread early. How many people now will compare Scioscia's decision to keep Santana in longer rather than give the bullpen the game with a 3-0 lead to Ozzie's move yesterday? I'm still supporting the decision Ozzie made (although we all know the result), but tonight really caught my attention that a youngster in only his 2nd start gets to finish off the game. Not sure if the pitch counts were the same since he mowed us down so quickly.

NorthlakeTom
05-24-2005, 12:33 AM
In 18 appearances, he's given up an earned run in 10. I'd bet that he's allowed inherited runners to score in others.

In 22 2/3, 28 hits, 10 BB and only 15 SO.

3 BS and 2 L.

I don't know, but that's not my idea of "solid."

White_Sock
05-24-2005, 12:34 AM
:prozac
22 yr old rookie with 13 ERA coming in dominates us like we are a little league team.

but hey

:twinslose

Parrothead
I think it's safe to bring this one out in dedication to the Sox performance tonight:

That is appropriate tonight.....my god what happened to the teams hitting? Is anyone looking at their averages?

FarWestChicago

:corpseballYes, it's safe if you are a complete and total idiot. :rolleyes:

Palpidious
05-24-2005, 12:35 AM
I blame that inflated ERA on that game against Cleveland where he got rocked because there were no pitchers left in the pen. He was hung out to dry

his ERA is his ERA. it's the measure of his performance. and up till this point he blows.

ChicagoHoosier
05-24-2005, 12:35 AM

Oh yes, and my second major thought on tonight: I have been maintaining how much I love that this team is in every ballgame. Tonight, although the score was close, wasn't ever close. Agreed wtih the other poster that if Crede could have held on to that throw from Timo, it's an entire different ballgame.

REALLY hoping Burls can come out and out-duel Colon tomorrow.

Palpidious
05-24-2005, 12:36 AM
Yes, it's safe if you are a complete and total idiot. :rolleyes:

guess someone is in denial

Parrothead
In 18 appearances, he's given up an earned run in 10. I'd bet that he's allowed inherited runners to score in others.

In 22 2/3, 28 hits, 10 BB and only 15 SO.

3 BS and 2 L.

I don't know, but that's not my idea of "solid."

Agreed !

MUsoxfan

Can I make a suggestion to eliminate this tag? It seems to only promote inappropriate overuse

NorthlakeTom
4.43 without that game, but 6.00 in May.

The point is, he was rocked in that game. Pitchers or no pitchers.

soltrain21
05-24-2005, 12:37 AM
guess someone is in denial

You are the one calling for the season by this one game.

The Twins only scored one run today on Scott Earlton, do you think they are flipping out?

FarWestChicago
05-24-2005, 12:39 AM
guess someone is in denialDenial? You are completely psychotic. Have you checked the standings lately? :rolleyes:

Jjav829
05-24-2005, 12:40 AM
We were flat out dominated tonight. Ervin Santana looked like Johan Santana against us. Orlando Cabrera looked like Miguel Cabrera against us. Darin Erstad looked like, well, he looked like someone who can actually hit. Horrible game. Just another in the long list of horrible west coast games.

Garland wasn't great, but really, this could have been a 0-0 game going into the 9th. Crede's misplay was huge out there. It's a simple catch and tag and two runs don't score. That said, Garland does have to make the pitches to get out of the jam.

We talked about this in the chat, but does anyone else think that if Rowand is in center, those runs don't score? Frankly, as I said, I think Rowand catches both the Kennedy double and the Molina single. For that matter, Pods might catch those balls. I have no idea why Timo was in center. It should have been Pods in center with Rowand resting. That's a poor decision by Ozzie. It's becoming clearer that Timo is gone when Gload and Frank return.

Just a crappy game. Before someone points it out - and I realize that by the time I've typed this all up and clicked submit, someone probably will have - Santana had a 13 ERA coming into the game. Let's not get too worked up over that though. It was one bad outing in his major league debut. He's a good young pitcher with talent. It's still embarrassing to get shutout by a rookie making only his second major league start. I would hope the Sox are embarrassed by that.

SluggersAway
Corpseball is not one outing, it is a series of games where the bats are dead.

FarWestChicago
Can I make a suggestion to eliminate this tag? It seems to only promote inappropriate overuseGood idea.

Mohoney
05-24-2005, 12:41 AM
Can I make a suggestion to eliminate this tag? It seems to only promote inappropriate overuse

Plus, we have to see the faces of Brian Daubach and Rick White. I'm still trying to pretend that those guys never existed.

Palpidious
05-24-2005, 12:42 AM
Denial? You are completely psychotic. Have you checked the standings lately? :rolleyes:

you're in denial if you don't think this was their worst and most pathetic attempt at playing the game today. looks like they got a little bit too relaxed and decided not to give jon some run support. it was pathetic. the season's not over but i won't keep my head in the sand either.

dcb33
05-24-2005, 12:42 AM

Minnesota lost.
The only thing that will make my butt sting will be mediots and moronic Cub fans saying that the Cubs are going to rise in the NL Central and overtake the Cardinals while we'll be overtaken by Minnesota. They'll point to Sunday's loss as the turning point.

How could this loss not bother you? The Sox may have to go to Anaheim if they make the playoffs, and they sure won't last long playing the way they did tonight. Someone really needs to kick this team in the butt becuase their fear of playing out west has gone way over the top and they need to stop it now if they want to be considered legitimate AL contenders.

markopat
05-24-2005, 12:43 AM
I was there tonight...he was hit hard to the gaps 4 times tonight...it was like Double-Fest...not sure why, but they had his number. JG just didn't have it goin on.

We hit the ball pretty hard tonight too, but right at them...lots of line drives...

Oh well...3 more against the Angels and I'll be at all 3!

GO SOX!

brewcrew/chisox
Sorry FarWest; i didn't mean to start an argument: I just thought that tonight's performance, by comparison to what they've done all season was pretty dead and uninspired. If I misused the tag, then I apologize once again.

SOXfnNlansing
vizz the fizz needs to be run out of town... ozzie should just give him bus fare and leave him out in LA....... if ozzie doesn't stop falling in love with vizz the fizz and cotts, bringing them in first, then he may be given a bus ticket himself.

CLR01
you're in denial if you don't think this was their worst and most pathetic attempt at playing the game today. looks like they got a little bit too relaxed and decided not to give jon some run support. it was pathetic. the season's not over but i won't keep my head in the sand either.

There are two shift keys provided on every keyboard.

soltrain21
05-24-2005, 12:44 AM

Apparently your head has been in the sand all year. It was one damn game.

FarWestChicago
you're in denial if you don't think this was their worst and most pathetic attempt at playing the game today. looks like they got a little bit too relaxed and decided not to give jon some run support. it was pathetic. the season's not over but i won't keep my head in the sand either.You're right, the Sox didn't try to hit or score. Do you have any idea how ridiculous you sound? You are completely embarrassing yourself. Do yourself a favor, back away from the keyboard and return tomorrow when you have regained some composure.

ChicagoHoosier
We were flat out dominated tonight... I would hope the Sox are embarrassed by that.
I seriously hope they take this butt kicking and use it to show they're the best team in baseball tomorrow night. We've bounced back before, not always the very next game, but it would show some character as well as set the tone for the rest of the series and road trip.

skobabe8
05-24-2005, 12:45 AM
I'm glad people out there arent as frustrated as I am tonight.

-Rookie pitcher who was lit up by the tribe in his last start.
-Our ace thus far
-The west coast
-DJ more annoying than usual, especially when talking about how Dye played SS at oakland because ozzie likes to "have fun"
-trying to bounce back after a tough loss
-the definition of corpseball
-crede not catching the ball for the play at 3rd
-VIZZ

FarWestChicago
05-24-2005, 12:45 AM
Sorry FarWest; i didn't mean to start an argument: I just thought that tonight's performance, by comparison to what they've done all season was pretty dead and uninspired. If I misused the tag, then I apologize once again.It's been absurdly overused in the past. And pulling it out on the team with the best record in baseball seems a bit premature. At least let them fall into second place...

MUsoxfan
05-24-2005, 12:46 AM
How could this loss not bother you? The Sox may have to go to Anaheim if they make the playoffs, and they sure won't last long playing the way they did tonight. Someone really needs to kick this team in the butt becuase their fear of playing out west has gone way over the top and they need to stop it now if they want to be considered legitimate AL contenders.

Let's see how things go in the remaining games this week before the Sky is Falling threads are created by people saying nonsense. It's a loss. The world's in imperfect place. The Sox will lose AT LEAST 60 games this year. 13 so far....so at least 47 to go. Relax and know they'll play better tomorrow

mdep524
05-24-2005, 12:46 AM
All the signs were there...you could totally see this loss coming. Oh well. Santana was just plain nasty- that slider was unbelievable. Buehrle will come back and beat Colon tomorrow. But, there are two things we can take out of this game:

1.) Uribe desperately needs a day off. He is not even close at the plate right now. Crede too. The 8-9 spot is a black hole of death at the moment.

2.) Have we seen enough of Timo yet? I was a big supporter of his last year, but we don't need him in the same way as the instigator offensively this year. During Corpseball '04, Timo was valuable as a guy that would shake things up and get on base and get a clutch single. Well, now we have Podsednik and Iguchi in that role, making Timo expendable.

His bat has been pretty bad this year (save for that one sweet HR at the Twinkiedome), and his defense, specifically his range, in the OF is downright terrible. When Frank comes back, Timo may be the guy to go, though I'd miss him

...Oh yeah, and Vizcaino, here's your plane ticket for Charlotte. Have fun with Adkins for a few weeks, come back when you don't suck. Thanks in advance. Anyone think it's time to give Baj a chance?

NorthlakeTom
05-24-2005, 12:47 AM
It's still embarrassing to get shutout by a rookie making only his second major league start. I would hope the Sox are embarrassed by that.
That's nothing.

Living on the west coast, I went to Oakland to see a Sox game in September '83. The A's put up a rookie pitcher making his debut. He no-hit the Sox. I was wearing my "Winning Ugly" t-shirt and everything.

Bisco Stu
05-24-2005, 12:48 AM
No wonder we'll have no position players on the All Star team.

Offense is a joke.

spiffie
05-24-2005, 12:48 AM
I guess Scioscia missed the memo that it's better for a rookie pitcher's confidence to pull him and put in your worst reliever instead of letting him do his own work.

And oh yes, well done Luis. Was today's blast a wind-assisted pop-up as well?

On a happier note, a round of applause to Jon Garland for being the last everyday starter to take a loss. Some days no one has your back and there's nothing you can do. Get 'em next time Jon!

samram
05-24-2005, 12:49 AM
We talked about this in the chat, but does anyone else think that if Rowand is in center, those runs don't score? Frankly, as I said, I think Rowand catches both the Kennedy double and the Molina single. For that matter, Pods might catch those balls. I have no idea why Timo was in center. It should have been Pods in center with Rowand resting. That's a poor decision by Ozzie. It's becoming clearer that Timo is gone when Gload and Frank return.

My brother and I were thinking the same thing about both balls. Rowand gets to both balls and, on Cabrera's hit to left in the second, MacPherson doesn't even try for third. As for why Timo was in center, I have no idea why he ever plays anywhere.

That said, the Twins lost, and the Sox can't play worse tomorrow, so things are still looking good.

SOXfnNlansing
05-24-2005, 12:50 AM
I blame that inflated ERA on that game against Cleveland where he got rocked because there were no pitchers left in the pen. He was hung out to dry vizz the fizz has given up atleast 1er in, get this, 10 of his 17 appearances. If you don't believe me by now, check out the facts!http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/stats/mlb_individual_player_gamebygamelog.jsp?playerID=1 50430&statType=2

NorthlakeTom
05-24-2005, 12:50 AM
vizz the fizz needs to be run out of town... ozzie should just give him bus fare and leave him out in LA....... if ozzie doesn't stop falling in love with vizz the fizz and cotts, bringing them in first, then he may be given a bus ticket himself.
Actually, Ozzie made the right moves tonight. It looked pretty hopeless for the offense, and there's no sense in bringing in Politte or Marte in that situation.

Why are you down on Cotts? Didn't he strike out the only batter he faced?

Kogs35
05-24-2005, 12:51 AM
all i have to say is blah. just win the series!!!!!!!!!!! go burly go lets and crede and uribe please hit the ball for base hits

brewcrew/chisox
It's been absurdly overused in the past. And pulling it out on the team with the best record in baseball seems a bit premature. At least let them fall into second place...

Well, then i guess I won't be using it again this year :D:

FarWestChicago
Well, then i guess I won't be using it again this year :D:That's the spirit. :thumbsup:

Parrothead
05-24-2005, 12:54 AM
How did the name of the thread get changed? I was not freaking out about the season or game. But I am tired of losing on the west coast (especially since I am going to SD to see the Sox) and Viz giving up HRs.

SOXfnNlansing
Actually, Ozzie made the right moves tonight. It looked pretty hopeless for the offense, and there's no sense in bringing in Politte or Marte in that situation.

Why are you down on Cotts? Didn't he strike out the only batter he faced? If you look at cotts stats this season http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/stats/mlb_individual_player_gamebygamelog.jsp?playerID=4 25840&statType=2 you'll see that he's appeared in 16 games and given up an ER in 4 of them, but what you need to really research is all the inherited runners he lets score (just ask Buehrle) and he walks way too many guys. He is a 'left handed specialist' but lefties are hitting over .370 against him.

Palpidious
You're right, the Sox didn't try to hit or score. Do you have any idea how ridiculous you sound? You are completely embarrassing yourself. Do yourself a favor, back away from the keyboard and return tomorrow when you have regained some composure.

how dense can ya be to take something like that literally. i guess that's the difference between you and myself. i demand success. you shrug you shoulders and say "oh well" and that kind of attitude doesn't register with me.

NorthlakeTom
05-24-2005, 12:55 AM
All the signs were there...you could totally see this loss coming. Oh well. Santana was just plain nasty- that slider was unbelievable. Buehrle will come back and beat Colon tomorrow. But, there are two things we can take out of this game: <snip>
I agree with your negatives, but don't forget the positives:

AJ threw out two runners

Konerko has a nice little seven game hitting streak going (.464)

mdep524
05-24-2005, 12:56 AM
We talked about this in the chat, but does anyone else think that if Rowand is in center, those runs don't score? Frankly, as I said, I think Rowand catches both the Kennedy double and the Molina single. For that matter, Pods might catch those balls. I have no idea why Timo was in center. It should have been Pods in center with Rowand resting. That's a poor decision by Ozzie. It's becoming clearer that Timo is gone when Gload and Frank return. YES!

Jjav, I should have read your post before posting my own. I totally agree.

NSSoxFan
05-24-2005, 12:56 AM
how dense can ya be to take something like that literally. i guess that's the difference between you and myself. i demand success. you shrug you shoulders and say "oh well" and that kind of attitude doesn't register with me.

Don't be a moron.

Let me ask you something. Say the Sox made this game a close one, say 4-3, would that be a rousing success? Chill out. If you expect success everyday in a game like baseball, go find some other sport/team to follow.

Jjav829
05-24-2005, 12:57 AM
...Oh yeah, and Vizcaino, here's your plane ticket for Charlotte. Have fun with Adkins for a few weeks, come back when you don't suck. Thanks in advance. Anyone think it's time to give Baj a chance?

I'm ready for that. I'm extremely disappointed in Vizcaino. Coming into the year, I was hoping for him to be a good 7th and 8th inning guy. Right now, he's a mop-up pitcher at best. We need better depth in our bullpen. I like the back end of the pen with Hermanson, Marte and Politte. But Cotts, Vizcaino, Shingo and Walker can't be trusted in close games at this point and that's a problem. When you have a team built on pitching, you have to have everyone getting it done. At this point, that simply isn't happening. The back 3 have been fine, but Shingo and Vizcaino haven't been good. Cotts has been ok. But something has to happen with Shingo and Vizcaino soon. Either they step up and start pitching well, or they have to be replaced. I'm all for calling up Diaz and Bajenaru at this point. Either that or Kenny should look into acquiring a stud closer at the deadline and push everyone back.

Hell, Danny Graves isn't looking like a bad option right now.

dcb33
05-24-2005, 12:57 AM
Let's see how things go in the remaining games this week before the Sky is Falling threads are created by people saying nonsense. It's a loss. The world's in imperfect place. The Sox will lose AT LEAST 60 games this year. 13 so far....so at least 47 to go. Relax and know they'll play better tomorrow

I know, it's just frustrating becuase this team has been light years ahead of where it's been in the past and it still seems like they can not rid themselves of that WC demon.

Oh well, tomorrow's a new day and we've got Buehrle, Garcia, and Contreras going the rest of the way so I'm sure we can pick up a couple.

Viva Medias B's
05-24-2005, 12:58 AM

I wouldn't go that far.

MUsoxfan
05-24-2005, 12:59 AM

Or Oil Can Boyd for that matter

NorthlakeTom
05-24-2005, 01:00 AM
If you look at cotts stats this season http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/stats/mlb_individual_player_gamebygamelog.jsp?playerID=4 25840&statType=2 you'll see that he's appeared in 16 games and given up an ER in 4 of them, but what you need to really research is all the inherited runners he lets score (just ask Buehrle) and he walks way too many guys. He is a 'left handed specialist' but lefties are hitting over .370 against him.
You may be right, but AFAIC, Cotts is Bob Gibson compared to Vizcaino.

Either way, I'm glad Ozzie saved the real bullpen for the rest of the series.

tromcoe
05-24-2005, 01:01 AM
I take great relief in the fact that we are still the team to beat in MLB. The Angels stepped it up tonight behind a good outing from both pitchers. Our first shutout all year, and not against anyone in our division. Can't wait to see our Ace tomorrow.

Nellie_Fox
05-24-2005, 01:02 AM
how dense can ya be to take something like that literally. i guess that's the difference between you and myself. i demand success. you shrug you shoulders and say "oh well" and that kind of attitude doesn't register with me.Seriously, if you are going to go off spittle-flying rants over every loss, you need to find another sport to follow. MLB teams lose. A lot, by the standards of other sports. 60% wins is pretty good. 70% over the course of a season is virtually unheard of. You "demand" sucess. I'm impressed. :rolleyes:

You guys who go off on "Ozzie should know he can't play this guy, he can't play that guy" need to suggest alternatives. It is so easy to be critical after you know the outcome. These guys are on the roster, and unless there is someone better waiting in the wings, they are who he has to work with.

Just a little suggestion, since you're new to the board. You might want to soft-pedal the name calling just because someone disagrees with you. You don't manage a Toys-R-Us in Texas, do you?

Jjav829
05-24-2005, 01:02 AM
I wouldn't go that far.

Why? A week ago he had a 3.45 ERA. Two horrible outings later that is up to 7.36. It's not like the guy has been getting bombed all year long. Aside from adjusting to the role, I think coming to a winning team and being put into a 6th/7th inning type role might help get him back on track. I know he's lost some velocity, but if he can regain some of that velocity he can still be a very effective pitcher. Certainly much better than Vizcaino at this point.

NorthlakeTom
05-24-2005, 01:06 AM
Seriously, if you are going to go off spittle-flying rants over every loss, you need to find another sport to follow. MLB teams lose. A lot, by the standards of other sports. 60% wins is pretty good. 70% over the course of a season is virtually unheard of. You "demand" sucess. I'm impressed. :rolleyes:
Yes, 60% is the standard even in basketball (50 wins), which makes the 72-10 Bulls godlike. Just for fun, that works out to 142-20 in baseball. Still possible for the Sox.

Palpidious
05-24-2005, 01:07 AM
Seriously, if you are going to go off spittle-flying rants over every loss, you need to find another sport to follow. MLB teams lose. A lot, by the standards of other sports. 60% wins is pretty good. 70% over the course of a season is virtually unheard of. You "demand" sucess. I'm impressed. :rolleyes:

who says i rant after every loss? this is their worst showing of the season. could be the start of a slide. but hey, they've played good till this point right? we shouldn't worry. naw. it's nothing. not even a blip on the radar. :rolleyes:
your pithy lil barbs DON'T impress me. it's great to see that when someone has a view on this board the "thought police" make their appearance.

SpammySosa
05-24-2005, 01:10 AM
The loss does not bother me that much

All losses bother me and I hope they bother the team too. I don't think the sky is falling;in fact I am not worried about the team at all('cept maybe Fizzcaino). I just have a hard time finding silver linings in losses,though I see them clearly in the games ahead. :redneck

Nellie_Fox
it's great to see that when someone has a view on this board the "thought police" make their appearance.You are entitled to a view. And when that view is irrational, others have the right to take you to task without being "thought police."

Please try to learn to use capital letters where they belong. Or not, I don't care, because you are heading for my ignore list anyway.

MUsoxfan
it's great to see that when someone has a view on this board the "thought police" make their appearance.

Aren't you also "policing" the thoughts of others?:rolleyes: Relax. Breathe in deep a couple times, then go make yourself a cocktail. It will get better, I promise

NorthlakeTom
this is their worst showing of the season.
I wouldn't say it's their worst showing. Though the Sox won the game on walks, they were 2 hit by somebody. Can't remember who.

PicktoCLick72
05-24-2005, 01:11 AM
THis game is the reson the season is 162 games long and not 16. Games like this are going to hppen. Santan pitched good just as Prior did yesterday. We just have toss this one in the 42 losses you're going to have column. Any worrying about it is totally useless.

Mohoney
I know it may be very unpopular here, and I can see where people are coming from when they want these guys lynched, but I really believe that Luis Vizcaino is much better than what he's shown, and will end up being an important contributor to a division-winning bullpen before all is said and done. Same thing with Jermaine Dye.

Plus, it's Twins fans, not us, that should be freaking out. We lost to a first place team, and the Twins couldn't capitalize. Another game off the schedule, another day where we're still 5 games up.

Yes, we didn't sweep the Cubs. Yes, we looked very flat today. Yes, I wholeheartedly disagree with Ozzie's decision Sunday. Yes, I want to make a move to get somebody else playing 3B everyday in August and September.

But the bottom line is, 4 games have been wiped off the schedule in this period of time where the Twins didn't gain an inch. If the Twins can't shave a game or two off of our lead during stretches like this where we have some things go wrong, advantage White Sox.

We're going to split with this team, and there's nothing wrong with a split on the road against a first place team.

The Twins are going to split with Cleveland, and we will still be 5 games up on Friday morning, just like we were last Friday.

mdep524
who says i rant after every loss? this is their worst showing of the season. could be the start of a slide. but hey, they've played good till this point right? we shouldn't worry. naw. it's nothing. not even a blip on the radar. :rolleyes:
your pithy lil barbs DON'T impress me. it's great to see that when someone has a view on this board the "thought police" make their appearance. Dude, I can understand why you are frustrated but you need to calm down. It counts as one loss, look at the big picture. Sleep on it and come back tomorrow, you'll feel better. This is not the start of a trend, this was abberation. I have enough confidence in this team to make that statement.

soltrain21
05-24-2005, 01:12 AM

And what about the 31 games we have won? You are ridiculious.

mjmcend
05-24-2005, 01:12 AM
If you look at cotts stats this season http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/stats/mlb_individual_player_gamebygamelog.jsp?playerID=4 25840&statType=2 you'll see that he's appeared in 16 games and given up an ER in 4 of them, but what you need to really research is all the inherited runners he lets score (just ask Buehrle) and he walks way too many guys. He is a 'left handed specialist' but lefties are hitting over .370 against him.

Yeah but righties are only batting .040 against him, so he is doing an amazing job getting right handers out.

Parrothead
05-24-2005, 01:14 AM
Aren't you also "policing" the thoughts of others?:rolleyes: Relax. Breathe in deep a couple times, then go make yourself a cocktail. It will get better, I promise

Drinking does not solve anything.:gulp:

NorthlakeTom
05-24-2005, 01:18 AM
I know it may be very unpopular here, and I can see where people are coming from when they want these guys lynched, but I really believe that Luis Vizcaino is much better than what he's shown, and will end up being an important contributor to a division-winning bullpen before all is said and done. Same thing with Jermaine Dye.

Plus, it's Twins fans, not us, that should be freaking out. We lost to a first place team, and the Twins couldn't capitalize. Another game off the schedule, another day where we're still 5 games up.

Yes, we didn't sweep the Cubs. Yes, we looked very flat today. Yes, I wholeheartedly disagree with Ozzie's decision Sunday. Yes, I want to make a move to get somebody else playing 3B everyday in August and September.

But the bottom line is, 4 games have been wiped off the schedule in this period of time where the Twins didn't gain an inch. If the Twins can't shave a game or two off of our lead during stretches like this where we have some things go wrong, advantage White Sox.

We're going to split with this team, and there's nothing wrong with a split on the road against a first place team.

The Twins are going to split with Cleveland, and we will still be 5 games up on Friday morning, just like we were last Friday.

Good points, and I agree with most, especially the part about the standings.

I'm not as optimistic on Vizcaino. His career numbers are awful, except for one good year. I hope Coop knows something we're not seeing, but I have no faith in Viz right now.

Interesting thought about Crede, but I doubt a move will be made. It may not be necessary.

I still think we can take the next three in Anaheim. A split would be acceptable, though.

What I started noticing a couple weeks ago is that Twins aren't really that good this year (compared to the last three, anyway). Maybe I'm wrong, but I think we are much better than Minnesota.

Lip Man 1
05-24-2005, 01:21 AM
A few points.....

If the Sox make the post season as the #1 seed there is a good chance they'll be meeting the Angels in the first round. Just something to remember considering the Sox are now an impotent 3-16 in Anaheim since the start of the 2001 season.

Two, the kid pitcher tonight for the Angels made his MLB debut last week versus Cleveland. They didn't seem to have any trouble with him. In his first major-league start last week, Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim right-hander Ervin Santana gave up a single, double, triple and home run to the first four Cleveland Indians he faced.

This was a flat out awful performance worthy of the lifeless games that were frequent in 2003 and 2004.

In the past those Sox clubs would go in a funk and tank the next two or three games...we'll see how they respond Tuesday since they may have been jet lagged.

Lip

SpammySosa
05-24-2005, 01:21 AM
who says i rant after every loss? this is their worst showing of the season. could be the start of a slide. but hey, they've played good till this point right? we shouldn't worry. naw. it's nothing. not even a blip on the radar.

Who knew Homefish had a twin brother?:wink:

SOXfnNlansing
05-24-2005, 01:25 AM
Yeah but righties are only batting .040 against him, so he is doing an amazing job getting right handers out. Ozzie brings him in to face 'tough' lefties though :(

NorthlakeTom
05-24-2005, 01:26 AM
Two, the kid pitcher tonight for the Angels made his MLB debut last week versus Cleveland. They didn't seem to have any trouble with him. In his first major-league start last week, Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim right-hander Ervin Santana gave up a single, double, triple and home run to the first four Cleveland Indians he faced.
Yes, it does seem odd. Apparently, there's a big difference between first and second major league starts. The kid obviously has talent that wasn't displayed in his debut outing.

CHISOXFAN13
05-24-2005, 01:30 AM

So you'd rather use Polite and Marte in a game where it's clear the offense is not going to score three runs to get back into it?

mmmmmbeeer
05-24-2005, 01:32 AM

This was a flat out awful performance worthy of the lifeless games that were frequent in 2003 and 2004.

In the past those Sox clubs would go in a funk and tank the next two or three games...we'll see how they respond Tuesday since they may have been jet lagged.

Lip

Santana was a very highly touted prospect. He did tonight what many already thought him capable of doing. That game against CLE was an embarressment to Ervin and may have provided some motivation for his dominance tonight. Basically, it'd be similar to faulting the sCrUBS for not being able to hit McCarthy instead of just tipping their cap to the fact that McCarthy has the talent to shut down an offense.

As far as the jet lag, I agree. The Sox had a very sluggish aura to them this evening.

CHISOXFAN13
05-24-2005, 01:37 AM
A few points.....

If the Sox make the post season as the #1 seed there is a good chance they'll be meeting the Angels in the first round. Just something to remember considering the Sox are now an impotent 3-16 in Anaheim since the start of the 2001 season.

Lip

Where are the numbers about how miserable the Angels have been here? They have been as brutal as we have been there in the last five seasons.

The kid pitched well tonight. I could care less what Cleveland did against him. He looked fantastic tonight.

FWIW, no road teams were victorious tonight. I'll chalk this one up to having an emotional let down after a tough series and a long flight. I expect a far different result tomorrow.

Minny lost at fourth-place Cleveland while we took a loss to a first-place squad. Hardly a lost night.

JB98
05-24-2005, 01:43 AM
So you'd rather use Polite and Marte in a game where it's clear the offense is not going to score three runs to get back into it?

Be careful, man. You're sounding reasonable. People do not seem to understand that Ozzie has to use all 25 men on his roster. It's a 162-game season. We can't ask Politte and Marte to pitch in middle relief every day. If Vizcaino and Shingo both continue to struggle, we'll be in the market for a right-handed middle reliever in July.

Middle relief and the middle of our batting order are the two weaknesses we have right now. On the latter point, help is on the way in the form of Frank Thomas. I'm sure KW can make a deal to shore up the bullpen, if need be. I haven't lost faith in Vizcaino yet. He has good stuff. Coop just needs to find a way to help him harness it, and that needs to happen quickly. Another two weeks or so of this, and I'll be calling for a change.

I'm not worried about Uribe. He's always been a streaky hitter. His main job is defense anyway, and if we're relying on our No. 9 hitter for run production, then shame on us. Crede continues to perplex. I don't know what the hell we should do with him.

Tonight was a terrible game, but the most important thing is how the Sox respond tomorrow. We've got our ace on the mound. Let's get a win.

SOXfnNlansing
05-24-2005, 01:44 AM
So you'd rather use Polite and Marte in a game where it's clear the offense is not going to score three runs to get back into it? no, but what I'm saying is if crede holds on to the ball, we get out of the inning. So say that LAA scores later and it's the 8th inning and LAA is winning 1 or 2 to nothing, Ozzie would still bring in vizz the fizz and cotts 1st thing out of the pen. Haven't you been watching the games this season? If you're so concerned about 'burning up' politte and marte, I think attention should be brought towards replacing vizz the fizz and cotts (package trade or release) and get the best minor league pitcher to fill in when we're losing 4-0 or winning 4-0. That's all I'm saying.

FarWestChicago
05-24-2005, 01:45 AM
how dense can ya be to take something like that literally. i guess that's the difference between you and myself. i demand success. you shrug you shoulders and say "oh well" and that kind of attitude doesn't register with me.No, you write ridiculous crap and then act like a complete assclown to defend the drivel you have posted. See you later.

TomParrish79
05-24-2005, 01:45 AM
Plus, we have to see the faces of Brian Daubach and Rick White. I'm still trying to pretend that those guys never existed.

Best reply of the night.

All in all, offense just didnt have it tonite, if everyone is gonna freak out everytime this team has a low offensive output, then your in for a very long season.

But you can officially add Vizcaino to the list that includes Joe Crede of Sox Players that are officially sucking right now. I figured he might could work out of it, but he just looks terrible out there, the only thing he can throw for a strike is a slider.

Mark will go out and turn it around for us tomorrow.

FarWestChicago
05-24-2005, 01:48 AM
A few points.....

LipWell done, Lip!! That's your first psychotic flip out in a while. It's good to have you back!!

NorthlakeTom
05-24-2005, 01:51 AM
I'm not worried about bouncing back. The Sox have done it all year.

I believe this was only the second game this year without holding a lead. Amazing.

In the 14 losses:

6 were by 1 run
3 by 2 runs
2 by 3 runs
2 by 4 runs
1 by 6 runs

That is beyond outstanding.

balke
05-24-2005, 01:52 AM
No, you write ridiculous crap and then act like a complete assclown to defend the drivel you have posted. See you later.

He gawn.

SpammySosa
05-24-2005, 01:59 AM
:hawk
"Mercy! Palpidious,I haaaaaaaaaaaate when you analyze!"

batmanZoSo
05-24-2005, 02:13 AM
This west coast thing is just ridiculous. It looked like we were going to turn it around this year while we had a three run lead during the second game in Oakland...then another three run lead...then we all know how that series turned out. Please no one bring up the phrase "jet lag." This is a baseball team. All they do is fly. It takes about 3 and a half hours to get to the West coast from Chicago and they've just been home for like two weeks without flying at all. The reason is it's in their heads that they can't win on the west coast.

Our bullpen doesn't look too promising now. We have three guys that simply can't be trusted. I hope KW is thinking mid season trade for another dominant setup man, which would push Cotts down to the minors and Vizcaino into strictly mop-up duties until he proves he's worth a crap. Seriously, he sucks.

The good thing is we can still muster a winning record in California if we win the next three. We always tagged Colon pretty good. Let's get that fat slob tomorrow.

FarWestChicago
05-24-2005, 02:15 AM
We always tagged Colon pretty good. Let's get that fat slob tomorrow.Tell us how you really feel about Fatolo. :D:

owensmouth
05-24-2005, 02:59 AM
Garland should never pitch in southern California. He always seems to have problems. 11 hits in seven innings. Plus a walk that eventually scored.

Crede turned perhaps the best throw from the outfiled this year into poop. The ball hit his glove while the runner was still ten feet away. Catch the ball, lay on the tag and we're out of the inning.

Uribe made another one of his patented wild throws to first base, Thankfully, Garland was able to work around it.

Uribe and Crede combined to provide the offensive black hole of Calcutta. They are a combined 5 for 69 of late. Neither has done much since the Baltimore series.

I know the kid, Santanna was horrible in Cleveland, but tonight he was verrrry good. Good pitching beats good hitting, and it whips anemic hitting. The Angels hitting has been worse than ours, which further shows how much more that kid was on his game than Garland.

Timo got one hit, Konerko and Gooch both got two. Timo played good defense and made a heck of a good throw. I don't love Timo, but he shouldn't be castigated for his actions tonight.

We got out pitched, out hit, and out fielded tonight. We deserved to lose.

CYGarland20
05-24-2005, 03:15 AM
The bottom line tonite was that the Sox, besides Garland, T.I. & Konerko,looked AWFUL!! I was absolutely embarassed as a Sox fan to see us get shutout by a rookie in his 2nd start, especially after he got rocked in his 1st, by the Tribe no less. I blame this loss on Ozzie tonite. Putting Timo in center is completely inexcusable!! Considering the fact the Pods is a much better option, and that Garland's win streak was on the line.....I guarantee that Rowand would have caught the ball hit by Cabrera, and POSSIBLY Kennedy's, those hits changed the game right there by giving the rookie a lead to work with. If this team is suppose to be built around pitching and defense than that was a major miscue by Guillen. I know it's ONLY 1 game, but i don't think we should be giving away ANY games right now, especially with the Twinks hot on our tail. I just hope the way we played tonite was a result of jetlag, and hopefully we can chalk up a W tomorrow night with Buehrle on the mound. :cool:

shoota
05-24-2005, 04:19 AM
I don't know about everyone else but I am tired of Vizcaino not doing the job. Apparently, he needs more work perhaps he can work out the kinks in the Minors.

P.S. I know he did not blow the game tonight.

I agree that it is appropriate to rip on Vizcaino for allowing one run, but if you're throwing around blame, you must also mention Joey Crede for allowing 2 runs to score. Crede muffed an easy one-hop from Timo Perez. Had Crede caught the bouncer and tagged the runner out, zero runs would have scored because it would have been the third out of the inning in which two Anaheim runs scored. But because Crede got scared hearing the footsteps, the ***** dropped the ball that hit his glove.

Crede sucks and he is now hitting in the .240s in May despite a good two week stretch.

Crede's defense is good. He's a Gold Glover. He makes all the plays. waaaaaa

The Racehorse
05-24-2005, 04:25 AM
Getting shutout by a rook!?... glad I missed last night's game.

The Racehorse
05-24-2005, 04:26 AM
:tomatoaward

soxfanreggie
05-24-2005, 04:32 AM
Most games Garland (or any Sox starter) gives up 3 runs in 7+ innings, we will likely win. I figured Ozzie would put Vizcaino back on the hill ASAP if we were up or down by 3 or 4 or more (I was definitely hoping for the up). He's got the potential to be good, but he has some quality relievers breathing on his tail from the minors. Think Bajenaru will be called up soon? He has a 0.81 ERA in 22.1 innings in 21 appearaces. He has a 1-0 record and 3 saves. 22 strikeouts to 12 walks. Only 2 earned runs this year so far. I think he might have pitched tonight because the stats seem updated from the last time I looked when I think he had given up only one earned run.

Speaking of AAA players, it is interesting to see how Ben Davis is progressing down there. Hopefully he picks his production up. With Frank Thomas, Ross Gload, Davis, Borchard, Adkins, Norton, Diaz, Munoz, Burke...and maybe a few others...you have a lot of guys on that team that have seen major league action (with Thomas being a future HOF'er and Gload and Davis being perennially up). Hopefully we can add that list by seeing B-Mac and Bajenaru. I think Brandon will replace Contreras or Hernandez in the rotation at some point in time whether this year or next. Bajenaru can help solidify the bullpen because chances are it will change. I'm hoping we can get more production out of Borchard and some of those other players that have been labeled our "future"

I would really hate to see us start another west slide, but I think with MB on the hill we can win the game and take the rest of this series as well.

Bobbo35
05-24-2005, 07:16 AM
We were flat out dominated tonight. Ervin Santana looked like Johan Santana against us. Orlando Cabrera looked like Miguel Cabrera against us. Darin Erstad looked like, well, he looked like someone who can actually hit. Horrible game. Just another in the long list of horrible west coast games.

Garland wasn't great, but really, this could have been a 0-0 game going into the 9th. Crede's misplay was huge out there. It's a simple catch and tag and two runs don't score. That said, Garland does have to make the pitches to get out of the jam.

Just a crappy game. Before someone points it out - and I realize that by the time I've typed this all up and clicked submit, someone probably will have - Santana had a 13 ERA coming into the game. Let's not get too worked up over that though. It was one bad outing in his major league debut. He's a good young pitcher with talent. It's still embarrassing to get shutout by a rookie making only his second major league start. I would hope the Sox are embarrassed by that.

You are right with what you said. Pods needs to be in center when Rowand is out. Those balls would have been caught because Rowand has such a better read on the ball than Timo does. That pop fly single that scored a run would have definately been caught by Rowand.

Ya, last night even though it was a close game, the Sox were never in it because we looked lost at the plate. When Crede did not come up with that tag at third I never we would be in for it.

We will bounce back tonight though with Buerhle on the hump.

GO SOX!

Bobbo35
05-24-2005, 07:26 AM

You guys who go off on "Ozzie should know he can't play this guy, he can't play that guy" need to suggest alternatives. It is so easy to be critical after you know the outcome. These guys are on the roster, and unless there is someone better waiting in the wings, they are who he has to work with.

Just a little suggestion, since you're new to the board. You might want to soft-pedal the name calling just because someone disagrees with you. You don't manage a Toys-R-Us in Texas, do you?

That is what I am preaching too. This team is going to lose games. The games they lose of course there are going to be some ugly scenarios thrown into the mix. Ya, I was pissed when I went to bed last night, but that was one game and Minnesota lost. So to me it is a wash and we go back out there and get a win with Buerhle tonight.

mikehuff
05-24-2005, 08:17 AM
Yesterday's loss in Anaheim (5/23) just killed me because everything was pointing towards a Sox victory before this game.

- We're the best team in baseball
- We have the best pitcher in baseball pitching for us
- Anaheim has been struggling at the plate
- Anaheim is missing their best player
- Anaheim is missing one of their best relievers
- Anaheim is starting a rookie who had a bad outing in his debut last time out

With all that going the Sox way, it's still not enough to rid themselves of this inability to win on the West coast and to hit pitchers they have never seen before.
There is absolutely no logic to this trend that has developed over the last few years.
Anaheim and Oakland have been good teams over the last few years, but this year Oakland sucks and we lose 2 of 3 and play horribly. We are favored in yesterday's game for all the reasons above, but still can't win.
What is it about the West coast? They don't have the same teams as they have had in the past and neither do we, but we still can't win.
We don't have the same lineup as we have in the past, but we still can't hit rookie pitchers? I don't get it. This is the strangest trend I have ever seen, and it shows no sign of ending.

Luckily Minnesota lost yesterday, but that was a perfect chance to gain some ground yesterday.
This is something that would scare the hell out of me for the playoffs. Let's say the Sox win the division and have to start out by playing Anaheim. How good will you feel about that?

harwar
05-24-2005, 08:56 AM
Garland was getting some pretty solid hits put on him.
He was a nevous wreck and very jittery.His family and friends were there tonight,including his mother and sisters.
There were something like 200 people out there just to see him.
After all,hes' a California kid.
I expect him to be back to form against Texas.
What i can't understand is why wasn't Timo in left and Pods in center.

Paulwny
05-24-2005, 09:00 AM
After an emotional series against the flubs a certain amount of "let down" should have been expected.

34 Inch Stick
05-24-2005, 09:01 AM
Can't the West Coast just fall into the ocean so the Sox will not have to travel there again?

Cowhead418
05-24-2005, 09:29 AM
I'd be more afraid of the Sox facing a Single-A pitcher from the Yankee's organization with a 10.00 ERA on the West Coast then I would be facing Santana in Minnesota. The rookie pitchers killing us trend really has to stop. Before every team realizes it and they only send out Triple-A pitchers to face us.

Gym Shoe
05-24-2005, 09:30 AM
after the first couple of innings and seeing no Rowand in the lineup, it was nerve racking for me as well. Garland didn't pitch poorly at all. Crede doesn't come up with that 3rd base play and we can't get past 2nd base (barely even got there) ... and that's game time

too bad. Vizcaino has been consistently worse than Shingo

BaseballTonyght
05-24-2005, 09:31 AM
Sox are now 0-3 in Anaheim with me in attendance... just a forewarning, I also bought tickets to Thursday's game.

StrTrkker
05-24-2005, 09:43 AM
You gotta hand it to Ervin Santana he pitched a great game. The Sox looked flat and actually seemed like they just wanted the game to end by swinging at a lotta 1st pitches. Tadahito was the only one who seemed to be into the game..

Lets win tonite and get back on a winning streak.

Jerko
05-24-2005, 09:59 AM
I wouldn't say it's their worst showing. Though the Sox won the game on walks, they were 2 hit by somebody. Can't remember who.

I'm pretty sure it was vs. the Royals.