PDA

View Full Version : Good Matchup Tonight

Chicago83
05-23-2005, 03:28 PM
This is a game to put your money on, 8-0 Garland against the 0-1 13.5 ERA Ervin Santana, formerly Johann Santana (This guy decided to change his name and chose Ervin!??!?!?) It's hard to argue with our chances tonight against a Vlad-less angels team. Garland may be 9-0, which if you told me before the season I would laugh in your face.

BaseballTonyght
05-23-2005, 03:29 PM
These "sure thing" games scare me the most.

Mickster
05-23-2005, 03:31 PM
These "sure thing" games scare me the most.

Ditto here. But rumor is that Garrett Anderson and F. Rodriguez will also not be available tonight. If I were a bettin' man......

chisox2005
05-23-2005, 03:32 PM
This is a game to put your money on, 8-0 Garland against the 0-1 13.5 ERA Ervin Santana, formerly Johann Santana (This guy decided to change his name and chose Ervin!??!?!?) It's hard to argue with our chances tonight against a Vlad-less angels team. Garland may be 9-0, which if you told me before the season I would laugh in your face.

I think they'll win but I wouldn't put it in the bag just yet. Garland is 1-3 with a 5.00+ ERA at the Angels. I know he's been pitching a ton better this year. Also the Sox don't exactly do to well out on the West Coast.
All I can say is I hope your right. Would be awesome for Garland to get to 9-0 on 9 starts.

Iwritecode
05-23-2005, 03:32 PM
This is a game to put your money on, 8-0 Garland against the 0-1 13.5 ERA Ervin Santana, formerly Johann Santana (This guy decided to change his name and chose Ervin!??!?!?)

Are you sure you're not confusing him with the Twins pitcher? :?:

Anyway, the only thing I know about this guy is that he gave up a "cycle" in the first inning of the last game he pitched.

mikehuff
05-23-2005, 03:33 PM
Let's just hope they make it quick. Man! Four 9:00 starts in a row.

The good thing is that Garland and Buehrle pitch quick so that will save us some sleep.

jackbrohamer
05-23-2005, 03:36 PM
Sox always seem to have a hard time beating newly-called-up pitchers.

mjharrison72
05-23-2005, 03:38 PM
Let's just hope they make it quick. Man! Four 9:00 starts in a row.

The good thing is that Garland and Buehrle pitch quick so that will save us some sleep.
You're telling me... they start at 10:00 on the East Coast. Not only am I going to be sleep-deprived, but my fiancee may well kill me between tonight and Thursday night; the MLB.TV machine is in the bedroom.:cool:

MRKARNO
05-23-2005, 03:39 PM
Are you sure you're not confusing him with the Twins pitcher? :?:

His first name used to be Johan, but he changed his name to Ervin to prevent confusion with the one on the Twins.

I wish the Alex Gonzalezes could have figured out something similar :D:

NorthlakeTom
05-23-2005, 03:43 PM
You're telling me... they start at 10:00 on the East Coast. Not only am I going to be sleep-deprived, but my fiancee may well kill me between tonight and Thursday night; the MLB.TV machine is in the bedroom.:cool:
You could watch the archive tomorrow. Of course, you'd have to make sure no one told you the score before you watch it. This happened to me before, in a 1-0 game, no less. I was glad the Sox won, but after hearing it over the phone, I was speechless, and a tad pissed off.

mikehuff
His first name used to be Johan, but he changed his name to Ervin to prevent confusion with the one on the Twins.

With his ERA, you'd think that he wouldn't mind having that problem. It might help him out during contract time one year. Especially is KW is doing business with him.

Sxy Mofo
Sox always seem to have a hard time beating newly-called-up pitchers.

Truth... I'm hoping that's a thing of the past though. It's hard to get locked in and hit homers off a guy you've never seen before. However, I'm hoping with the new ozzie-ball approach they do better against guys they haven't seen. All we need is pods to get on and get this guy out of his game plan in the first inning.

mjharrison72
05-23-2005, 03:45 PM
You could watch the archive tomorrow. Of course, you'd have to make sure no one told you the score before you watch it. This happened to me before, in a 1-0 game, no less. I was glad the Sox won, but after hearing it over the phone, I was speechless, and a tad pissed off.
I hadn't thought of this... I think my curiousity would get the better of me and I would just look at the darn score.
My best hope is that I can abide by a midnight (Eastern) curfew and still see all of at least two games: tonight and tomorrow, when newly speedy Garland and Mark "Lightning" Buehrle pitch.

NorthlakeTom
05-23-2005, 03:46 PM
All we need is pods to get on and get this guy out of his game plan in the first inning.
Yes, scoring 4 or 5 quick runs would be nice. However, the Angels have an outstanding pen.

Sxy Mofo
05-23-2005, 03:50 PM
Better to get to the outstanding pen early than to watch their starter throw a good game...

NorthlakeTom
05-23-2005, 03:52 PM
I hadn't thought of this... I think my curiousity would get the better of me and I would just look at the darn score.
My best hope is that I can abide by a midnight (Eastern) curfew and still see all of at least two games: tonight and tomorrow, when newly speedy Garland and Mark "Lightning" Buehrle pitch.
A word of caution if you ever decide to view an archive.

I have Gameday Audio, so the same may not apply to MLB.TV, but be forewarned.

When the window comes up for a Gameday Audio archive, the right hand frame has highlights listed. Such as, "Konerko hits 3 run homer," etc. The first thing I do is slide that portion of the window off-screen.

It's an insane policy by MLB.com, but it's a slight improvement over last year. Last year, the window would display the final scores of completed games. How stupid. Who would want to view/listen to an archive knowing the outcome?

Also, if you haven't already done so, bookmark the MLB.TV page. The one that lists the games. If you go through the MLB.com main page, you will see the scores.

mjharrison72
05-23-2005, 03:56 PM
A word of caution if you ever decide to view an archive.

I have Gameday Audio, so the same may not apply to MLB.TV, but be forewarned.

When the window comes up for a Gameday Audio archive, the right hand frame has highlights listed. Such as, "Konerko hits 3 run homer," etc. The first thing I do is slide that portion of the window off-screen.

It's an insane policy by MLB.com, but it's a slight improvement over last year. Last year, the window would display the final scores of completed games. How stupid. Who would want to view/listen to an archive knowing the outcome?
I suppose it's not a big deal for the ultra-diehard fan who just wants to watch a great game a second time... or just going back to watch a couple of key plays.
I think it'll have to do that I watch the first couple hours and then check the score in the morning... I only watched two of the three games against Oakland, and to be honest, I was so keyed up by the time they were over I didn't get to sleep for another hour!
Or maybe we'll be ahead by 10 runs so we can all rest easy!:bandance: :bandance:

NorthlakeTom
05-23-2005, 03:58 PM
Better to get to the outstanding pen early than to watch their starter throw a good game...
Agreed. I'm kinda torn on this, but if we force the Angels into using their pen for 6+ innings, that would only benefit us for the series. If this happens, I just hope we have a decent lead.

NorthlakeTom
05-23-2005, 04:03 PM
I think it'll have to do that I watch the first couple hours and then check the score in the morning... I only watched two of the three games against Oakland, and to be honest, I was so keyed up by the time they were over I didn't get to sleep for another hour!

(semi-teal) Well, if you have an excuse for your boss, you could watch the last few innings in the morning. Wife's happy. Boss is happy. Win-win all around.