PDA

View Full Version : 1919 Sox on ESPN2 today

nebraskasox
05-23-2005, 01:59 PM
FYI - here in Omaha, the local listings show that ESPN2 will broadcast, "Top 5 Reasons You Can't Blame the 1919 White Sox" at 7PM central time today.

I don't know if ESPN varies local programming or if this program has already been shown. But I thought I'd alert other WSIers in case this is worthwhile.

doublem23
05-23-2005, 02:08 PM
ESPN putting on a special about the White Sox?

I'll be sure to tune in. :rolleyes:

Iwritecode
05-23-2005, 02:29 PM
They've already shown this. I saw it a week or so ago.

IIRC, some of the reasons were:

Charles Comiskey was cheap
The player stats don't figure right
They were aquitted (#1 reason)

illinibk
05-23-2005, 02:42 PM
They were aquitted (#1 reason)
And their whole reasoning behind using that as the #1 reason not to blame the Sox was because no laws existed that said a game could be thrown. So we can't blame the players because what they did was technically not illegal? Not to mention that one cannot tell they threw the series by looking at the box score. Since when did a box score tell the entire story? Stats tell part of the story, but not the whole story.

I will not be watching that again, since I got so pissed off watching it the first time with their reasons not to blame the players.

nebraskasox
05-23-2005, 02:48 PM
And their whole reasoning behind using that as the #1 reason not to blame the Sox was because no laws existed that said a game could be thrown. So we can't blame the players because what they did was technically not illegal? Not to mention that one cannot tell they threw the series by looking at the box score. Since when did a box score tell the entire story? Stats tell part of the story, but not the whole story.

I will not be watching that again, since I got so pissed off watching it the first time with their reasons not to blame the players.

That does sound pretty lame - the fact that there wasn't a law prohibiting it. I'll probably watch it if I'm available since I haven't seen it. I was hoping to learn some more facts about this important, though dark, event in White Sox history.

tebman
05-23-2005, 03:38 PM

As a Sox fan I've always felt like that chapter is so far in the past that while it's historically interesting, it has no bearing on the current team. Of course the occasional writer or producer who's hungry and wants a cheap subject to play will drag it out again as an "issue." Bah.

To me it comes down to a simple question -- did they take money with the understanding that they would throw the games? It's pretty clear they did, whether or not they were acquitted. Was Comiskey a cheap s.o.b.? Sure he was, but so were the other owners. Above all of this, we're talking about grown men who knew full well what they were doing.

Should Landis have banned them? If you accept that he was hired to protect the industry of The Game, then it was probably the only realistic choice he had. Remember that 1920 was a rougher, bare-knuckle time. If Landis had only fined or suspended the players, fans (and the writers that egged them on) probabley wouldn't have been satisfied and the business would have been in real trouble. Landis was a politician and knew how to make a dramatic statement.

There are no heroes in that story. What saddens me is that the White Sox are the team that's associated with it.

zach074
05-23-2005, 04:14 PM
I'm a big fan of why you can't blame Steve Bartman, that brought back some good memories.

ShoelessJoeS
05-23-2005, 06:32 PM
funny because i just watched "eight men out" last night....i blame cheap ass comiskey

Sxy Mofo
05-23-2005, 06:37 PM
Last time they showed this was during the sox/rangers game on monday night... so i didn't watch the whole thing. I think a fair amount of blame should be on the players and on comiskey.

The one i've seen a couple times is "why you can't blame jerry krause". anyone seen that? Even their 5 reasons you can't blame krause... all can be traced back to krause.

Corlose 15
05-23-2005, 08:33 PM
Something that was interesting when I watched it was that they mentioned it was possible Cicotte had a "dead arm". He only got 3 of his 29 wins in the last month of the season.

TornLabrum
05-23-2005, 09:15 PM
funny because i just watched "eight men out" last night....i blame cheap ass comiskey

Since when did "Eight Men Out" become a documentary?

ShoelessJoeS
05-23-2005, 09:18 PM
they blamed comiskey as well on the reasons why not to blame the players