PDA

View Full Version : Follow Up To 5/22 Quote Of The Day

Lip Man 1
05-23-2005, 12:59 PM
from Phil Arvia's column in the Daily Southtown:

"We're supposed to help them score the run?" Guillen said after an initial unprintable reaction. "That's the way I've played my whole life."

Countered Cubs skipper Dusty Baker, "That's not how we were taught to play."

I've got to side with Guillen on this one. Remember, the Cubs excused Sammy Sosa's corked bat by Andy MacPhail famously citing baseball's "culture of deception."

Besides, with two outs, Lee should have been flying until an umpire or his third-base coach told him to stop. Lee should be embarrassed, not angry, over getting caught with his pants down."

and this one should go on the Sox-O-Gram on the top of the main page at WSI:

"That's the (bleeping) way we play, that's the big leagues. That's White Sox baseball." -- Ozzie Guillen to the Southtown's Nathanial Whalen.

Lip

Sxy Mofo
05-23-2005, 01:09 PM
Besides, with two outs, Lee should have been flying until an umpire or his third-base coach told him to stop. Lee should be embarrassed, not angry, over getting caught with his pants down."

Pretty much. Lee has to go first to third on that play no matter what happens. Either Konerko does catch it and innings over anyway, or it goes past and is a fair ball, or is a foul ball. In no circumstance should lee stop on that play. It's his own stupid fault, and a genius move by Uribe.

Fredsox
05-23-2005, 01:29 PM
Pretty much. Lee has to go first to third on that play no matter what happens. Either Konerko does catch it and innings over anyway, or it goes past and is a fair ball, or is a foul ball. In no circumstance should lee stop on that play. It's his own stupid fault, and a genius move by Uribe.

I was surprised Lee brought the whole thing up to begin with. That's like confessing to the hidden-ball trick if no one else knew it happened.

tacosalbarojas
05-23-2005, 01:31 PM
I was surprised Lee brought the whole thing up to begin with. That's like confessing to the hidden-ball trick if no one else knew it happened.And Ozzie was the King of the hidden-ball tricksters.

spawn
05-23-2005, 02:34 PM
It just amazes me that, once again, Dusty finds no fault with his own player. He's gonna say uribe played dirty? Fundamental baserunning means watching the 3rd base coach when you're rounding second, not listening to the opposing teams shorstop. Isn't that how you were taught to play Dusty?

PaulDrake
05-23-2005, 02:44 PM
For cryin' out loud they won the game didn't they? Besides your supposed to have your head in the game not up your you know where.

Mickster
05-23-2005, 02:46 PM
Fundamental baserunning means watching the 3rd base coach when you're rounding second, not listening to the opposing teams shorstop. Isn't that how you were taught to play Dusty?

Nope. Fundamental baseball means run on anything hit with 2 outs. :wink:

PaleHoseGeorge
05-23-2005, 02:55 PM
Nope. Fundamental baseball means run on anything hit with 2 outs. :wink:

Exactly. Lee should have been digging with everything he had from the moment the bat hit the ball. If it is foul he only needs to go back to first base. He has no business but to run as far and as fast as he can.

That's fundamental baseball, something the Flubs have never been very well acquainted with.
:wink: