PDA

View Full Version : song lyrics changed in favor of the cubs...not the sox

soxGirl14
05-23-2005, 08:18 AM
When I first heard this song on 99.5 up in Naperville, I was like okay, interesting that Teri Clark chose the cubs to reference in it, I wont give her crap about it..however I was down in Bloomington Normal and on another country station, I heard the same exact song...however with the CORRECT lyrics:

U wanna do it all
Visit Paris in the fall
Watch the Yankees play ball
I wanna take it all in
Catch a few beads
Down at Mardi Gras
Start a tradition
Lay down the law
I wanna do it all.

The Country station up here in Chicago, has changed the lyrics isntead to
Watch the Cubs play ball

I think they need to edit it again and change it toWatch the Cubs lose the game

Just found it interesting that not only the newspapers in Chicago are biased towards the cubs...but as well as the country stations...

has anyone else heard the cubs version?

fquaye149
05-23-2005, 08:31 AM
they do this all the time in country music - change the lyrics to reflect the city. I don't know if you remember that song "sweet southern comfort" (i'm not sure who it's by)...but the part where he sings about Alabama and "roll tide roll" changes based on region. In green bay it's GO Pack GO. As far as why it's the cubs, does it really surprise you?

p.s. - terri clark is my least favorite country singer ever, so I'm glad she's not representing the Sox

DumpJerry
05-23-2005, 10:19 AM
I have heard the cubs version, and while I think the Yankees sounds more authentic, because that's how the song is supposed to go, you can't really get too mad at the Chicago stations. So what if they're a little biased. Who gives a damn. It's country music after all. Plus, the cubs arn't all that bad.

CUBBIES ROCK! :supernana:
:troll :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

seanpmurphy
05-23-2005, 10:29 AM
I have heard the cubs version, and while I think the Yankees sounds more authentic, because that's how the song is supposed to go, you can't really get too mad at the Chicago stations. So what if they're a little biased. Who gives a damn. It's country music after all. Plus, the cubs arn't all that bad.

CUBBIES ROCK! :supernana:

:tealpolice:

I hope

seanpmurphy
05-23-2005, 10:31 AM
"Watch the Cubs play ball"

People watch the Cubs at Wrigley?

soxGirl14
05-23-2005, 11:42 AM
i thought they were there to experience wrigley

seanpmurphy
05-23-2005, 11:45 AM
I could fall face down in my toilet with the Cubs game on in the background and get a similar experience

shoota
05-23-2005, 12:59 PM
When I first heard this song on 99.5 up in Naperville, I was like okay, interesting that Teri Clark chose the cubs to reference in it, I wont give her crap about it..however I was down in Bloomington Normal and on another country station, I heard the same exact song...however with the CORRECT lyrics:

U wanna do it all
Visit Paris in the fall
I wanna take it all in
Catch a few beads
Down at Mardi Gras
Start a tradition
Lay down the law
I wanna do it all.

Watch the Cubs play ball

Just found it interesting that not only the newspapers in Chicago are biased towards the cubs...but as well as the country stations...

That radio station also gave away tickets to Jimmy Buffett's concert at Wrigley Field and ran ads promoting it with their morning hosts. Those morning hosts also interviewed Ryne Sandburg one morning, perhaps about his HOF induction?

My buddy tried to explain to me that 99.5 is owned by the same company that owns or is affialiated with the Cubs somehow. And even I've heard on that station when they do those station commercials saying how people from different parts of the city listen to 99.5. One was a guy saying like "Elgin" another said, "Downtown" and of course, a young woman said "Wrigleyville" all seductively. And that's a promo commercial that's played on a regular basis.

Dick Allen
05-23-2005, 01:05 PM
I've never listened to that station, and now, I certainly never will.

GoSox2K3
05-23-2005, 02:26 PM
:whocares

Country music sucks.

mcg
05-23-2005, 07:51 PM
If it makes you feel better back in 2000 Toby Keith's "Country Comes to Town" was his big single in the summer and US99 got him to re-record the lines "I'm a roughneck, my daddy was a roughneck too" to "I'm a Sox fan, my daddy was a Sox fan too"

I'm hoping they do something like that again this summer since the Sox are back on top of the league standings. Also, that Terri Clark song is from, I think, 2003 so it made a little more sense then.

XRT is the worst with all their pro-cubs parodies. I think they did one Sox song parody two or three years ago. And of course, "Aggravation" (about Kerry Wood) to the tune of "Elevation". I wouldn't really call that one pro-cubs since cubs fans probably didn't get it. After all, Kerry's one of the best pitchers in baseball, how could his pitching be aggravating?

SOXSINCE'70
05-24-2005, 11:13 AM
XRT is the worst with all their pro-cubs parodies.

LIN BRAEMER= ANTICHRIST!!:D: :D:
I remember when 'XRT used to be a good station.
Nowadays,I say, "Thank God for the Sirius radio
in my car!!":cool: :cool:These are also the drillrods that hired that
Uncle Fester looking fool Billy Corrigan to do a "sCrUBS report"
in 2003 and 2004.:angry: :angry:

EastCoastSoxFan
05-24-2005, 02:21 PM

U wanna do it all
Visit Paris in the fall
I wanna take it all in
Catch a few beads
Down at Mardi Gras
Start a tradition
Lay down the law
I wanna do it all.

Watch the Cubs play ball

Last fall and winter there was a version here in Philly with "watch the Eagles play ball" inserted. My guess is probably most cities with country stations and pro sports teams have probably asked the artist for some local version...

Hangar18
05-24-2005, 02:38 PM
When I first heard this song on 99.5 up in Naperville, I was like okay, interesting that Teri Clark chose the cubs to reference in it,

And Teri Clark apparently isnt too smart is she?

Fenway
05-24-2005, 02:55 PM
This has been happening for years

Meatloaf had a song in the late 70's where Yankees announcer Phil Rizzuto does a "play by play" of what goes is going on in the front seat of a car :cool:
Ok, here we go, we got a real pressure cooker
going here, two down, nobody on, no score,
bottom of the ninth, there's the wind-up and
there it is, a line shot up the middle, look
at him go. This boy can really fly!
He's rounding first and really turning it on
now, he's not letting up at all, he's gonna
try for second; the ball is bobbled out in center,
and here comes the throw, and what a throw!
He's gonna slide in head first, here he comes, he's out!
No, wait, safe--safe at second base, this kid really
makes things happen out there.
Batter steps up to the plate, here's the pitch--
he's going, and what a jump he's got, he's trying
for third, here's the throw, it's in the dirt--
safe at third! Holy cow, stolen base!
He's taking a pretty big lead out there, almost
daring him to try and pick him off. The pitcher
glance over, winds up, and it's bunted, bunted
down the third base line, the suicide squeeze in on!
Here he comes, squeeze play, it's gonna be close,
here's the throw, there's the play at the plate,
holy cow, I think he's gonna make it!
In New England, the record was redone with Dick Stockton ( then the Boston play by play man ) doing the call