PDA

View Full Version : CBS Sportsline only projects JG & Dusty as Sox All-Stars?

Bisco Stu
05-23-2005, 12:08 AM
http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/allstar/projections

Banix12
05-23-2005, 12:29 AM
I can kinda understand the thinking here and certainly both very well should be all-stars. Particularly Garland who is probably already a lock. The only position player the sox have who really deserves to go right now is Iguchi in my opinion. AJ and Pods I think have valid cases but I think both are probably longshots.

Konerko has to get his average up to be considered I think, certainly his other stats are up to snuff but with the other first basemen in the league doing well like Texieria and Mike Sweeney likely being the only royals rep, he'll probably not have a space anyway. especially since neither of those two will probably be the one voted in by the fan ballot.

Certainly at least 1 more starting pitcher other than Garland should be sent, the way the whole staff has been pitching.

Jjav829
05-23-2005, 12:42 AM
Get ready. I predict a lot of "The best team in baseball only has X number of all-stars" posts when the teams are announced. Then again, that's how Kenny built this team; to be a true team and not a collection of superstars. So really, I think if we only get 1 or 2 all-stars, Kenny would say that's because this is a good team.

We probably only have 3 chances: Garland, Buehrle and Hermanson. As I've said before, Iguchi isn't likely to make it unless Francona goes with three second basemen which isn't likely. Soriano is basically a lock to be voted in and Brian Roberts is a lock to be taken. Barring an injury, Iguchi figures to be staying home. Pods has a shot and at this point is deserving. But...stolen bases just aren't valued as highly for all-stars. Hopefully Francona recognizes what Pods has done for this team, but at this point it's more likely he'd take an OF because of the numbers of home runs the guy has hit.

lowesox
05-23-2005, 12:45 AM
I heard on the game yesterday that Posednik has more stolen bases than all the teams in the american league central. He's been our MVP this season. He should be on the team.

Buerle's having a real good season too. IF it weren't for Jon Garland, he'd be a shoe-in.

Why is it the White Sox get screwed over every year when it comes to allstar selections?

Sox of White
05-23-2005, 12:50 AM
Why is it the White Sox get screwed over every year when it comes to allstar selections?

...because, that is just how it is. Especially when you consider the fan voting part. So many yankee, red sox, scrub fans skew the votes. But, still we certainly get the shaft besides all that.

BRDSR
05-23-2005, 12:55 AM
The only position player the sox have who really deserves to go right now is Iguchi in my opinion. AJ and Pods I think have valid cases but I think both are probably longshots.

Although Iguchi deserves some consideration, he's actually playing at a position that is going to be a lot harder than anyone thought. Brian Roberts is having an outstanding year(better than Iguchi's in every sense) and Alfonso Soriano is always a force at 2B.

I think Buerhle has earned himself a spot on the all-star team at this point in the season but we'll see how the votes turn out. If he's got 10-11 wins at the break I can't imagine not seeing him there.

lowesox
05-23-2005, 12:59 AM
The real shame in it, is that this is a season where people all over the country should be taking more interest in the white sox. More fans, over time, would help make the team make more money and as a result win championships.

Getting more players in the allstar games help you do that - especially when you have the best record in baseball. Then again, having the best record in baseball is supposed to get you more players in the allstar game. We'll see, I guess.

CLR01
05-23-2005, 01:00 AM
...because, that is just how it is. Especially when you consider the fan voting part. So many yankee, red sox, scrub fans skew the votes. But, still we certainly get the shaft besides all that.

Let the Cub fans skew the vote all they want, in fact, let them vote their enitre team in. Anything to get the Sox home field advatage this year. :gulp:

fquaye149
05-23-2005, 01:18 AM
no one on the Sox besides Buehrle, Garland, and Hermanson really deserve to be on the squad.

Iguchi, AJ, and Pods you could make a decent case for, but no one else really stands out (although Konerko has a solid amount of HR and RBI).

I wouldn't be too too upset if we sent only Garland and Hermanson. It would beat the travesty of last year when not only did Loaiza make it with his lousy pitching, but also Jake Westbrook was specifically given preference over a much much much better Buehrle when 4 Jndjans (!!!!!) were already on the roster.

Epark84
05-23-2005, 01:45 AM

Fan voting is how it goes. We as sox fans cant really blame anyone but our own fan base. Its beating a dead horse, but we dont have as many people at games filling out ballots. But this team probably only deserves 3 or 4. Its a team with no huge stars. Garland and buerhle should be locks, as well as hermanson. Maybe AJ or pods, but unlikely.

PicktoCLick72
05-23-2005, 02:53 AM
Originally Posted by lowesox

THe all-star team hasn't come out yet so let's not jump to conclusions. Who knows, maybe Francona will actually be fair in picking the team.

owensmouth
05-23-2005, 02:58 AM
Fan voting only applies to the position players, not to pitchers. In the past, the manager of the previous year's AL World Series representative chose the backup players and the pitching staff. Look for heavy Red Sox representation. Hermy and Garland would seem to be close to locks. This Tuesday's game with the Angels, Beuhrle vs Colon, could have some influence on whether Mark gets selected. One other thing: Not many teams want both their best starters going to and throwing in an all star game.

Hokiesox
05-23-2005, 09:55 AM
Fan voting only applies to the position players, not to pitchers. In the past, the manager of the previous year's AL World Series representative chose the backup players and the pitching staff. Look for heavy Red Sox representation. Hermy and Garland would seem to be close to locks. This Tuesday's game with the Angels, Beuhrle vs Colon, could have some influence on whether Mark gets selected. One other thing: Not many teams want both their best starters going to and throwing in an all star game.

Along the same lines, I'm happy to have JG and Hermanson as the only reps. for the Sox. Less chance for injury from our other guys. And, then, I hope our guys don't take it very seriously. Heck, if all the Cubs fans vote the Cubs in to the All-star game, the AL is going to easily have home field advantage for the WS.

Frater Perdurabo
05-23-2005, 10:00 AM
Please, let's avoid calling Hermanson "Dusty!"
:cool:

That being said, he does deserve an All-Star trip along with Garland and Buehrle.

chaerulez
05-23-2005, 10:36 AM
If Burhele keeps his pace, there is no way they can ignore his numbers. Iguchi is going to get a ton of help from Japan voters. Soriano has been leading vote getter for the past couple years too, so I can't picture Roberts out voting them even though he deserves it... most "fans" are stupid. As for Soriano vs. Iguchi, it's a toss up, but I'd love to see Iguchi go. Scotty Po should also be considered just because he has a legit shot at breaking a 100 steals in a season for the first time in a while.

spawn
05-23-2005, 11:11 AM
Let's face it...no offensive player we have right now is worthy of All-Star consideration. Iguchi, maybe. But I'd be satisfied with just Garland and Dustin in the All-Star game. This team is winning because we have no stand-out stars...they're playing as a team, not a bunch of individuals, and that's the way it should be. I'm sure the Twins won't have a lot of representation either, which I'm sure wouls suit them just fine. With that said, they forecast Burnitz as an All-Star? Wow...

mccoydp
05-23-2005, 11:21 AM

Too many stupid, uninformed voters, who vote off of name recognition alone, without watching a sample of games or thoroughly looking at stats.

And, again, most people are brainwashed by ESPN, SI, and the local news sports recaps. If I just watched these sources, I would only know about the Yankees, BoSox, Cubs, Braves, etc. For instance, I must have seen 10 Yankees-Mets recaps on Saturday vs. 1 for the Sox-Cubs.

That's why the Sox get screwed.

Kuzman
05-23-2005, 11:39 AM
I wouldnt get to hyped over this. This guy has 4 HOUSTON ASTROS going.

skottyj242
05-23-2005, 11:40 AM
Does anyone think that Iguchi has a chance because he can get voted in? Isn't Ichiro usually the one who ends up getting the most votes because back home people vote a ton for this. Althought it's a long shot, there's still a shot.

I wouldn't worry about the All-Star game anyway because when Ozzie's coaching it next year he can load the team up with our boys.

White Sox Josh
05-23-2005, 05:27 PM
Please change the title of the thread since it just doesn't look good.

petekat
05-23-2005, 05:28 PM
These projections are worthless. Based on to-date stats, but does'nt incorporate any kind of meaninful analysis- doesn't take into account fan voting, superstars (who invariably get in if they are performing at close-to lifetime averages), lineup balancing. A few weeks ago, this same CBS sportsline projection had Neifi Perez and Burnitz going!!!

http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/allstar/projections

White Sox Josh
05-23-2005, 05:57 PM
yeah and they had Konerko going and I'm a big fan of Paulie however he hasn't done anything to deserve going.

SpringfldFan
05-23-2005, 06:32 PM
By all star time Pods might have 50 stolen bases. If so, I think fans will vote him in on that number. If not, Francona should definitely consider him. His electricity on the basepaths would be some of the biggest entertainment of the evening. If he gets on you just know he is going to attempt to swipe second and third. Heck, you might even see a squeeze play after that. On second thought, though, I am not sure I want to see all this. I can just imagine him pulling a hammy in the process.

SFF

NDSox12
05-23-2005, 06:36 PM
I wouldnt get to hyped over this. This guy has 4 HOUSTON ASTROS going.

Yeah... not only is four Astros ridiculous, but any All-Star roster that includes Jeromy Burnitz should be immediately ignored.