PDA

View Full Version : Street Brawl After Game? And tasers too...

spongyfungy
05-22-2005, 06:21 PM
....after the game. How could this be? This isn't the cell.

greenpeach
05-22-2005, 06:35 PM
He must've been a drunken Sox fan stirring up trouble after a disappointing loss.

whitesoxwilkes
05-22-2005, 10:13 PM
About an hour after game time, my buddy and I stumbled into Sport Corner and they had the Channel 7 news on. The moussed and coiffed mediot (can't remember if it was Rob Johnson or Jeff Blanzy) was reporting on a "developing story" in Wrigleyville. The sounds was off, and all I saw was an ambulance and then a guy on a Sox jersey sitting on the curb with a banged up-face...any idea what happened?

Viva Medias B's
05-22-2005, 10:16 PM
Don't know anything about it. Probably some drillrods from both sides who had too much firewater.

White Sox Josh
05-22-2005, 10:19 PM
We all know how the Cubune will cover it.:(:

Daver
05-22-2005, 10:22 PM
Don't know anything about it. Probably some drillrods from both sides who had too much firewater.

It's a good thing we have you around to post that you know nothing.

VenturaFan23
05-22-2005, 10:25 PM
Just saw the report on Fox news. Apparently he was in a fight with some guys and cops on horses came over and just tasered the guy. Did anyone who went today witness this? Great I can just imagine when the all the press gets wind of this (mainly mariottia and espn) and write articles about how we are the worse fans in the world again and cub fans are the darlings of baseball :angry:

mantis1212
05-22-2005, 10:25 PM
I just caught something on Fox News about it. Apparently there was a brawl between a handful of Sox fans and Cub fans. One guy got tasered by cops. They showed one guy in a black Sox jersey getting hauled off in an ambulance. One witness was saying the brawl lasted a while with cops just mounted on horses not doing anything.

White Sox Josh
05-22-2005, 10:28 PM
Just saw the report on Fox news. Apparently he was in a fight with some guys and cops on horses came over and just tasered the guy. Did anyone who went today witness this? Great I can just imagine when the all the press gets wind of this (mainly mariottia and espn) and write articles about how we are the worse fans in the world again and cub fans are the darlings of baseball :angry: :tealpolice:

brewcrew/chisox
05-22-2005, 10:30 PM
Man, I only saw the news at 5 and the story was still developing so they couldn't give specifics. All i kept thinking was "please don't let it be a sox fan mixed up with this". Too bad

Viva Medias B's
05-22-2005, 11:00 PM
10:00 news on; let's see what they say.

Viva Medias B's
05-22-2005, 11:02 PM
NBC 5 reported that the fight was between outside vendors. The tasered person is in serious condition.

ABC 7 said an off duty officer, wearing a Red Sox jersey, was attacked which prompted the fight. They showed a man wearing a black White Sox jersey being loaded into the ambulance.

CBS 2 reported the off duty officer got into a fight with three individuals and that three people are in custody.

Jerko
05-22-2005, 11:06 PM
Channel 7 said the victim was an off-duty cop in Red Sox regalia. I saw a Sox fan sitting on the ground cuffed but I still don't know who got tasered.

Brian26
05-22-2005, 11:54 PM
It's a good thing we have you around to post that you know nothing.

LOL!

spongyfungy
05-23-2005, 02:06 AM
Suspect Tasered outside Wrigley Field

May 22, 2005 Chicago police used a Taser on a man after an off-duty police officer was beaten outside Wrigley Field. The incident happened after the Sox-Cub game. Police say three men approached the off-duty officer, who was wearing a Red Sox jersey, and a fight broke out. A police sergeant who was nearby witnessed the attack and used his Taser to break up the fight.

The man who was Tasered complained of chest pains and was taken to the hospital. Emergency crews also took the injured off-duty police officer and another person to the hospital.

http://abclocal.go.com/wls/news/052204_ns_taser.html

Viva Medias B's
05-23-2005, 07:57 AM
North and Huebner said that if this incident took place outside of the Cell, it would be much bigger news. They claimed that the media protects the Wrigley area when stuff like this happens there.

JRIG
05-23-2005, 08:12 AM
Via the AP:

Authorities say three people, including an off-duty Chicago Police officer, were hospitalized after a brawl near Wrigley Field following yesterday's Chicago White Sox-Chicago Cubs game.

Police say the fight near Addison Avenue and Clark Street started when someone became angry at the officer for wearing a Boston Red Sox jersey as he worked at a concession stand. They say the officer then showed his badge, and a shoving match and a fight began.

Everyone apparently is in good condition as of last night.

thepaulbowski
05-23-2005, 08:30 AM
North and Huebner said that if this incident took place outside of the Cell, it would be much bigger news. They claimed that the media protects the Wrigley area when stuff like this happens there.

Since the Cubs are owned by the media, does this really still suprise people?

PaleHoseGeorge
05-23-2005, 08:40 AM

:giantsnail

Jerko
05-23-2005, 09:59 AM
I saw a blurb on Foxnews this morning. For some reason, they interviewed a Cub fan, so all I know now is that 2 guys "kept getting beaten into unconsciousness" because they were being "plummeted".

Andy T Clown
05-23-2005, 10:26 AM
Story burried on page 11 of the cubune sports section.

skottyj242
05-23-2005, 12:47 PM
My dad just e-mailed me and told me there was an off duty cop beaten after yesterday's game and it recieved little to no media attention, that was the first that I had heard of it. Can you imagine if this happened down south at Comiskey? It would be on the front page of every newspaper and the lead story on every newscast. I bet it would even be on ESPN. I hate the media in this town. Has anyone heard about this incident? If so please share.

Iwritecode
05-23-2005, 12:49 PM
My dad just e-mailed me and told me there was an off duty cop beaten after yesterday's game and it recieved little to no media attention, that was the first that I had heard of it. Can you imagine if this happened down south at Comiskey? It would be on the front page of every newspaper and the lead story on every newscast. I bet it would even be on ESPN. I hate the media in this town. Has anyone heard about this incident? If so please share.

It's on the Trib's website. Very few details though...

seanpmurphy
05-23-2005, 12:51 PM
I thought there were a couple of fights after yesterday's game. No details to offer, sorry.

Those Cubs fans are some of the most respectable fans in all of the major league. Not like those first base coach beating Sox fans.

Vestigio
05-23-2005, 01:08 PM
My dad's a cop (and a Sox fan) and what he was that 3 Sox fans beat up an off-duty cop who also sold souviners (sp?) with his father. My dad told me that the Sox fans started calling the off-duty cop and his father names when the fans saw the vendors wearing Red Sox shirts...

Its pretty petty to pick a fight like that...

alohafri
05-23-2005, 01:15 PM
My dad's a cop (and a Sox fan) and what he was that 3 Sox fans beat up an off-duty cop who also sold souviners (sp?) with his father. My dad told me that the Sox fans started calling the off-duty cop and his father names when the fans saw the vendors wearing Red Sox shirts...

NOW it will hit the national press.

PaleHoseGeorge
05-23-2005, 01:21 PM

So far there has been no credible information reported about the rooting allegiance of these instigators. So far all that is estalished is an off-duty cop wearing a Red Sox jersey was involved in the fight.

Sorry -- your father the cop doesn't qualify as a credible source.

Vestigio
05-23-2005, 01:35 PM
So far there has been no credible information reported about the rooting allegiance of these instigators. So far all that is estalished is an off-duty cop wearing a Red Sox jersey was involved in the fight.

Sorry -- your father the cop doesn't qualify as a credible source.

I'm just telling you what I heard. I'm not trying to pass it off as credible evidence...

PaleHoseGeorge
05-23-2005, 01:41 PM
I'm just telling you what I heard. I'm not trying to pass it off as credible evidence...

That's fine. Personally I'm anxious to hear more details about this matter. The news has been very slow and very incomplete about the circumstances.

I remember back in '00 when that loudmouth radio show host got beat up at 1 AM outside Sox Park. The details came fast and furious on that one -- and the headlines were big. Of course that one happened outside Sox Park... not Chicago's Baseball Shrine.

:knue
"What are you saying, PHG? It's not the media's fault. There weren't any important giant snail stories to be covered that day!"

:giantsnail

maurice
05-23-2005, 01:58 PM
So far all that is estalished is an off-duty cop wearing a Red Sox jersey was involved in the fight.

Right. Why would a Sox fan care if somebody wore a Red Sox jersey in Lakeview? Heck, you could wear a Red Sox jersey to the Cell and nobody would bat an eye. They ARE the defending champs.

Contrast that with some fat, drunken, loudmouth, dressed in full cubbie regalia, after an interleague game, at night, near Armour Park.

Fenway
05-23-2005, 03:18 PM
who would pick on a fan dressed like this?

http://www.bostonphoenix.com/boston/news_features/other_stories/multi_3/images/03806991.gif

maurice
05-23-2005, 03:20 PM
Per NBC5 (http://www.nbc5.com/sports/4518363/detail.html?z=dp&dpswid=2265994&dppid=65192):
Chicago police used a Taser gun to break up a bloody fight between vendors following the Crosstown Classic Sunday in Wrigleyville. One of the vendors involved in the fight sold Cubs gear and the other sold White Sox shirts, NBC5 reported. An officer suffered minor injuries while trying to break up the fight, and that's when the Taser gun was used, police said. The individual who was the victim of the Taser shot was taken to a local hospital complaining of chest pains. Three people were taken into custody.

na_na_na_na
05-24-2005, 11:35 AM
Why hasn't a massive deal been made out of this http://cbs2chicago.com/topstories/local_story_143110800.html

If this happened at 35th and shields it would be a media circus.

Hangar18
05-24-2005, 11:51 AM
That's fine. Personally I'm anxious to hear more details about this matter. The news has been very slow and very incomplete about the circumstances.

I remember back in '00 when that loudmouth radio show host got beat up at 1 AM outside Sox Park. The details came fast and furious on that one -- and the headlines were big. Of course that one happened outside Sox Park... not Chicago's Baseball Shrine.

:knue
"What are you saying, PHG? It's not the media's fault. There weren't any important giant snail stories to be covered that day!"

PaleHose, you know why the Media is really sloooooow to report fully on this?
I called my cop buddy late last nite after hearing about this, (works that area, was a passing cub fan, and liked the cubs just to annoy me, but since he began working that area, has grown to hate their fans and now the team, hurrah for him) he said that for the most part, looks like drunk "CUB" fans were the cause of this and instigated it. He said way too many people got involved ..............

The MEDIA is being careful this time, remember when the "4 sox fans" ran on the field, only to be discovered by CNN (outside newssource) that they were alll really CUB FANS from the previous game. If theres the slightest chance this was cub related, ALL CYLINDERS go into cover-up mode. If this was SOX FAN RELATED, it wouldve been the lead story by those jackasses Mike & Mike, ESPN, CNN, the Tonite SHow, Pravda ...........

cheeses_h_rice
05-24-2005, 12:02 PM
The 3 men charged (http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-050524wrigleybrawl,1,5792642.story?coll=chi-news-hed) are possibly brothers and live in the south suburbs. You sure they're Cub fans?

Three men were charged overnight in connection with a weekend brawl in which they allegedly attacked two off-duty police officers outside Wrigley Field, WGN-AM 720 reported.

Thomas Novak, 29, of Chicago, and Ryan Novak, 25, and Chad Novak, 23, both of south suburban Oak Forest, were each charged with aggravated battery in connection with the Sunday evening incident, police said.

It was not immediately known if the three suspects were related.

The incident started about 6 p.m. as a father and son, both Chicago police officers, were off-duty and working at their sports memorabilia stand outside the stadium during the Cubs-White Sox series, officials said.

The three suspects allegedly began taunting the son because he was wearing a Boston Red Sox jersey. The father identified himself as a police officer, and the three suspects then physically attacked the two off-duty officers, police said.

SOXSINCE'70
05-24-2005, 12:06 PM
I remember back in '00 when that loudmouth radio show host got beat up at 1 AM outside Sox Park.

That idiot was Bill Simonsen,who lived to stir up controversy.
He knew didly squat about the Sox and their fans.Lou Canellis
carried that show,which sucked anyway.2 to 1 Simonsen opened
his huge yap and had it coming to him anyway.

Jerko
05-24-2005, 12:07 PM
The 3 men charged (http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-050524wrigleybrawl,1,5792642.story?coll=chi-news-hed) are possibly brothers and live in the south suburbs. You sure they're Cub fans?

One guy had on a cub t-shirt, one guy had on a Sox t-shirt. 3rd guys photo was unavailable. I'm assuming he was the one in the Sox jersey cuffed on the ground and they didn't take his photo because he got his ass kicked.

Fenway
05-24-2005, 01:58 PM
I find it amusing that Red Sox fans are worried that Cubs fans might beat them up NOT

http://www.redsoxnation.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=16013&view=findpost&p=322145

So does this mean that I won't be wearing my Sox gear at Wrigley in 2 weeks?
WRONG !!!!! You bet your a$$ I will. Let them just try and stop me, those ChiTown punks. Whew.....I think I'll calm down now.

maurice
05-24-2005, 02:16 PM
Don't worry about it, Fenway. Most "cub fans" aren't from Chicago anyway.

Lip Man 1
05-24-2005, 07:44 PM
Tribune now has a story on their web site. Details still incomplete but the three were brothers. Story says one was wearing a Sox jersey, one was wearing a Sox T-shirt and one was wearing a Cubs T-shirt.

Lip

Fenway
05-24-2005, 07:49 PM
Bond was set at $60,000 today for each of three brothers charged in connection with a weekend brawl in which they allegedly attacked two off-duty police officers outside Wrigley Field.

Thomas Novak, 29, of Chicago, and Ryan Novak, 25, and Chad Novak, 23, both of south suburban Oak Forest, were each charged with aggravated battery in connection with the Sunday evening incident, police said.

The Novaks appeared for a bond hearing before Cook County Judge Raymond Myles. Thomas wore a black White Sox jersey; Chad, a White Sox T-shirt, and Ryan, a Cubs T-shirt.

Alcohol likely was a factor in the incident, police said.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-050524wrigleybrawl,1,5792642.story?coll=chi-news-hed

cheeses_h_rice
05-24-2005, 07:58 PM
The Novaks appeared for a bond hearing before Cook County Judge Raymond Myles. Thomas wore a black White Sox jersey; Chad, a White Sox T-shirt, and Ryan, a Cubs T-shirt.

Oh, this is rich. REALLY rich. I guess the Tribune can safely report what the drunk combatants were wearing, now that it's been revealed that there were 2 Sox fans and one Cubs fan.

What are the odds of this little descriptive passage being included if the ratio were the other way around? Seriously, why else would they include the fan affiliation of these 3 guys unless they wanted to help deflect negative attention from their corporate subsidiary?

Unreal.

:giantsnail:

Jerko
05-24-2005, 07:59 PM
Pretty amusing account of it on fark.com, complete with Sox and Sox fan sterotypes. :angry: http://forums.fark.com/cgi/fark/comments.pl?IDLink=1498521