PDA

View Full Version : White Sox blurbs in the eastern press

Fenway
05-22-2005, 08:45 PM
NY Daily News
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/story/311803p-266790c.html

Say It Ain't So

"It was ridiculous. We were like the red-headed stepchildren. We could be in first place and everything they did on the north side was magnified. In some ways, that's still the case."

Former White Sox outfielder Jerry Hairston on the second class citizenship the White Sox are accorded in Chicago.

NY Post

Michael Morrissey: Mike, of all the teams that didn't reach the playoffs last season, the Marlins have the best chance to go the distance. Dontrelle Willis has been fantastic, Josh Beckett has been very good and Al Leiter ... well, Al Leiter has struck up a friendship with a new owner in South Florida. The point here is that the Marlins have the best pitching staff in baseball - and the postseason is won with pitching. Plus, the club has the muscle memory of their 2003 World Series title, which is a bit more recent than your choice.

Mike Vaccaro: Be careful, Michael, before you declare a pitching staff better than the one the ChiSox have (and I do love typing "ChiSox" so ...) We're officially past the point where we can accuse Jon (8-0) Garland and Mark (7-1) Buehrle of just riding hot starts. They are a terrific 1-2 punch atop a rotation that features a couple of resurgent old friends in Jose Contreras and Orlando Hernandez, and they aren't going away soon. As a poet might say: "With Garland and Duque/The Sox ain't a fluke-ay" Or something like that.

Morrissey: Vacc, you're one of the true wordsmiths in our biz. So if the above rhyme is the best you can do about the White Sox, I know this argument has already been won. Do you really trust the likes of Garland, Buehrle and Contreras down the stretch? Beckett and Willis have already proven they can succeed on the big stage. Plus, the Sox have been the Twins' whipping boys for years. And their last playoff appearance, in 2000, was as brief as it gets. The Marlins have two World Series titles since 1997. My question: when are you going to address "The Curse of the Black Sox" in novel form? Vaccaro: Mikey, Mikey, Mikey ... how many times do I have to tell you, flattery will get you everywhere? Except winning this argument, that is. The White Sox remind me right now of where their former partners in cursed crime, the Red Sox, were at the end of last year. They play loose, they play with confidence, they have a clubhouse that really seems to click, and they have a manager who absolutely believes that he's steering the ship in the right direction. They're a fun team to watch because they find ways to win every day. Teams like that thrive in October.

http://nypost.com/sports/47003.htm

Boston Herald
Entering the weekend, the difference between the Padres being a good team and a mediocre one was their play in one-run games, in which San Diego has gone 12-3. The record rivaled that of the AL Central Division-leading Chicago White Sox [stats (http://146.145.120.3/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=bostonherald&page=mlb/teams/030/teamstats.aspx?team=030), schedule (http://146.145.120.3/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=bostonherald&page=mlb/teams/030/schedule.aspx?team=030,season=)], who were 14-5 in one-run games and who, like the Padres, play in a large stadium where it can be more difficult to score runs.
The parallels between the White Sox and Padres were growing eerie, in fact, entering interleague play. Like the White Sox, whose bullpen ranked fourth in baseball with a 2.92 ERA, the San Diego relief staff has been sensational, posting a 2.93 ERA that ranked fifth. In part because of their ballparks, the White Sox and Padres are more likely to play low-scoring games, putting additional emphasis on speed, defense and pitching. So it's no mistake that while the Padres acquired local immortal Dave Roberts over the winter, the White Sox added Scott Podsednik and Tadahito Iguchi, not to mention Orlando Hernandez and Jose Contreras.
The speed factor? Entering the weekend, the White Sox ranked first in stolen bases and the Padres ranked sixth. And while neither club was hitting for a particularly high average, the Padres, in particular, had moved up to sixth in on-base percentage thanks to a grinding offensive approach that Red Sox fans should be familiar with.
``I think it's an area we have dramatically improved on since the start of the season,'' said Bochy. ``Getting the quality at-bats you're looking for, seeing more pitches, I think it's the case for the most part throughout our lineup, and that usually goes with when you start swinging well and guys are more comfortable.''

The wizard of Ozzie
Speaking of the White Sox, manager Ozzie Guillen is up to his old tricks again. Entering this weekend's series against the crosstown rical Cubs, Guillen caused some ears to perk up by noting that, when the Cubs visited U.S. Cellular Field last year, Dusty Baker received a better parking space than Guillen does at Wrigley Field.
``Last year I had to park in McDonald's and I'm the manager of the team,'' Guillen said. ``And Baker gets to park right next to me when he comes (U.S.
Cellular).''
If that sounds similar to the peculiar jab Tony La Russa took at the Red Sox during the World Series when La Russa blamed the Red Sox for the Cardinals staying in Quincy -- the Sox had nothing to do with it -- Guillen was only getting warmed up. With the Cubs struggling, Guillen was not reluctant to note that the White Sox were the better team in town, though he sounded like Sox skipper Terry Francona (speaking about the Yankees) when he talked of the games against the Cubs.
``If you come to watch a baseball game, the team to watch right now is the White Sox because we're in first place,'' Guillen said. ``If you want to visit another museum, go to Wrigley Field.''
As for the games. ...
``That's the biggest headache for me. I begged the league, we should play three games (in a season). ...Don't play six games in town because that's the biggest headache for me and Dusty Baker,'' Guillen said. ``I hate it. I don't hate playing against the Cubs, I hate it ...(when) people ask me if it's more important to beat the Cubs than win (the) division. I want to win the division, regardless of what happens against the Cubs.''
On second thought, Guillen sounds more like Pedro Martinez.

http://redsox.bostonherald.com/redSox/view.bg?articleid=84176&format=text

Johnny Mostil
05-22-2005, 08:50 PM
Why the disrespect for Buehrle?:?: I can understand (if not necessarily agree with) the skepticism over Garland and Contreras, but is Buehrle really that surprising to East Coast "analysts"?

A. Cavatica
05-22-2005, 09:17 PM
And what's this about USCF being a difficult place to score runs?