PDA

View Full Version : Ozzie Gets Angry

Viva Medias B's
05-22-2005, 04:54 PM
According to George Ofman and David Schuster, Ozzie Guillen got bent out of shape during the postgame press conference. I missed what it was about, but supposedly Brad Palmer asked a question that rubbed Ozzie the wrong way. Ofman also reported that Ozzie punched the wall in the visitors' clubhouse causing to wall clock to fall.

alohafri
05-22-2005, 04:56 PM
Ozzie let loose with so many f-bombs, most of the conversation was bleeped out.

--Mrs. Aloha

BRDSR
05-22-2005, 04:57 PM
According to George Ofman and David Schuster, Ozzie Guillen got bent out of shape during the postgame press conference. I missed what it was about, but supposedly Brad Palmer asked a question that rubbed Ozzie the wrong way. Ofman also reported that Ozzie punched the wall in the visitors' clubhouse causing to wall clock to fall.

Were the two incidents related? If not, I don't think there was anything on the field to get angry about. Maybe lifting McCarthy at 80 pitches while he's pretty much cruising in his major league debut, only to watch your least successful relief pitcher give up a single and a home run. Maybe thats what he's mad about. But if the two incidents were related, I wonder what was said.

Viva Medias B's

--Mrs. Aloha

:maggs
"Was he talking about me again?"

illinibk
Ofman also reported that Ozzie punched the wall in the visitors' clubhouse causing to wall clock to fall.
I'm sure Ofman meant to say that Ozzie punched the wall in the clubhouse and concrete fell from the upper deck.

SOXSINCE'70
05-22-2005, 04:59 PM

--Mrs. Aloha

He wasn't the only one letting loose with f- bombs.When Dye struck
out to end the game, I let loose a few myself..2 out of 3 ain't bad,
but a sweep would have been nice.

Viva Medias B's
05-22-2005, 05:02 PM
He wasn't the only one letting loose with f- bombs.When Dye struck
out to end the game, I let loose a few myself..2 out of 3 ain't bad,
but a sweep would have been nice.

And thanks to the Brew Crew, we're now 5 games up on Minnesota instead of 6.

voodoochile
05-22-2005, 05:40 PM
And thanks to the Brew Crew, we're now 5 games up on Minnesota instead of 6.

well, yes, but yesterday the brew crew put us up 6 instead of 5... so I guess I'm confused as to whether to be happy or mad with the team from Milwaukee...:rolleyes:

spongyfungy
05-22-2005, 05:45 PM
He didn't seem that upset. I just saw the postgame on ABC. Brad asked why brandon was taken out. Ozzie responded with "You wanna know why? You wanna know why? Aramis hit the ball hard off the kid."

Mammoo
05-22-2005, 05:48 PM
Were the two incidents related? If not, I don't think there was anything on the field to get angry about. Maybe lifting McCarthy at 80 pitches while he's pretty much cruising in his major league debut, only to watch your least successful relief pitcher give up a single and a home run. Maybe thats what he's mad about.

OG is being defensive because he knows he ****ed up!:angry:

Grobber33
05-22-2005, 05:57 PM
I have part of a transcript of Ozzie's unhappiness with 'The Professor'(Mr.Palmer)after the game in the 3rd or so pharagraph.

www.grobber.com (http://www.grobber.com)

Mohoney
05-22-2005, 06:57 PM

Amen to that.

FarWestChicago
05-22-2005, 07:04 PM
OG is being defensive because he knows he ****ed up!:angry:Or he's tired of arm chair idiots. I would assume it's the latter. And I'm with him.

irish rover
05-22-2005, 07:06 PM
totally agree with that too

D. TODD
05-22-2005, 07:11 PM
It's part of being a manager in the big leagues! When your decision doesn't work out you get second guessed. Oz needs to deal with it better, all of the F bombs are weak. As long as he keeps a winning team I can deal with him acting immature and thin skinned. It is a bad profession to be in if he doesn't like being second guessed though.

FarWestChicago
05-22-2005, 07:19 PM
It's part of being a manager in the big leagues! When your decision doesn't work out you get second guessed. Oz needs to deal with it better, all of the F bombs are weak. As long as he keeps a winning team I can deal with him acting immature and thin skinned. It is a bad profession to be in if he doesn't like being second guessed though.You are entitled to your opinion, and so am I. Shut the hell up, you whiner. Your post sucks. There's some second guessing.

:jerry

I'm glad you got my back, D. TODD. Peace!!

irish rover
05-22-2005, 07:21 PM
I don't think he was really mad at being second guessed, he was mad at himself and he let loose.

DickAllen72
05-22-2005, 07:29 PM
I have part of a transcript of Ozzie's unhappiness with 'The Professor'(Mr.Palmer)after the game in the 3rd or so pharagraph.

Thanks for the link, Grobber. Sounds like no big deal. From your transcript, it doesn't sound like Ozzie said anything out of line, and the clock thing was just an accident.

Thanks again for the post!

veeter
05-22-2005, 07:32 PM
Leave it to those little smarmy instigators from the score to say he knocked the clock off the wall. Hey Offman get a life.

D. TODD
05-22-2005, 07:33 PM
You are entitled to your opinion, and so am I. Shut the hell up, you whiner. Your post sucks. There's some second guessing.

:jerry

I'm glad you got my back, D. TODD. Peace!! No whining coming from me, seems like others are crying. I'm happy with the way the Sox played this series, to add to their great start. Ozzie has too quick of a fuse when it comes to being questioned about anything. I love the fire he brings to the team, but flying off half cocked will not be accepted when the team is not doing as well, which may lead to a premature exit from being the skipper. For his sake (and mine, since I like Oz as the Sox manager) I hope he learns to deal with being criticized. By the way I'm no fan of your posts either.

FarWestChicago
05-22-2005, 08:10 PM
By the way I'm no fan of your posts either.Then do the right thing. Stop using my software and leeching my bandwidth.

TornLabrum
05-22-2005, 08:11 PM
Anybody who has ever listened to Ozzie knows that the "f-bomb" is his favorite adjective. I've heard a story (maybe Grobber knows if it's true) that when Ozzie first came up with the Sox he was doing a live interview and dropped one.

Johnny Mostil
05-22-2005, 08:46 PM
well, yes, but yesterday the brew crew put us up 6 instead of 5... so I guess I'm confused as to whether to be happy or mad with the team from Milwaukee...:rolleyes:

Um, happy yesterday, and mad today . . . isn't that the point of being a Chisox fan? (It probably is too much so for me . . . :wink: )

Palpidious
05-22-2005, 09:17 PM
i do think ozzie's a moron at times. "i don't care what no one says" then he gets bent outta shape when someone says something he doesnt agree with. he f'd up today big time. you wanna talk about busting a kids confidence? that line about ramirez hitting BMAC hard isn't a good enough excuse for me. let the kid win or lose the game. don't treat him like a baby. treat him like a man. you'll earn his respect ozzie. cause if that were me, i'd have dropped a few f bombs on you for punkin out and goin to the pen.

EDIT: just saw this on wgn. ozzie was obviously pissed. he knows he f'd up but can't admit it. he screwed BMAC. let the kid decide the game. this attitide of "i wanted him to leave with a good feeling" is jerry manuel bullsh*t. he'd do that to garland ALL the time and really messed him up. let the kid get into and out of trouble. THAT's how you grow. you helped garland ozzie but don't start playin games with BMAC

South Side
05-22-2005, 10:42 PM
[QUOTE
EDIT: just saw this on wgn. ozzie was obviously pissed. he knows he f'd up but can't admit it. he screwed BMAC. let the kid decide the game. this attitide of "i wanted him to leave with a good feeling" is jerry manuel bullsh*t. he'd do that to garland ALL the time and really messed him up. let the kid get into and out of trouble. THAT's how you grow. you helped garland ozzie but don't start playin games with BMAC[/QUOTE]

It's obvious he is second guessing himself but Ozzie is entitled to a mistake or 2 when he's managing the best team in baseball...

Brian26
05-22-2005, 10:46 PM
He didn't seem that upset. I just saw the postgame on ABC. Brad asked why brandon was taken out. Ozzie responded with "You wanna know why? You wanna know why? Aramis hit the ball hard off the kid."

Maybe the ****ing "Professor" needs to watch the game a little bit more closely and he wouldn't have to ask ignorant questions.

DaleJRFan
05-22-2005, 10:50 PM
Or he's tired of arm chair idiots. I would assume it's the latter. And I'm with him.

I couldn't agree more.

As much as I wanted to see McCarthy cruise to a W, as he was seemingly doing, I can't argue with the call (in retrospect). He averaged 6 innings a start a AAA... they need to be careful with him. He is going to be a star. Last thing we need is another Balsa arm saga in Chicago. Besides, did you see the pitch that DuBois hit? A nasty low and outside slider. He hit a great pitch. It was one game. And it was the Cubs. Garland goes tomorrow and McCarthy goes again Friday... He have a big week ahead.

oeo
05-22-2005, 10:51 PM

How do you figure? In no way can you say that McCarthy would have pitched out of that. I was happy with Ozzie's move, he didn't keep him out there too long and Aramis was killing the ball and I don't think he was going to hit it hard right at somebody again. That is Vizcaino's job, to come in and reserve that lead, you can't blame that on Ozzie, how did he know Vizcaino was going to give up a bomb (if you would even call that a bomb, the wind took it out of there). I love the way some of you guys act around here, one day you love the guy the next day you tear him to pieces.

Johnny Mostil
05-22-2005, 11:17 PM
Anybody who has ever listened to Ozzie knows that the "f-bomb" is his favorite adjective.

I once read (sorry, can't remember where) that "jack" is the most overworked word in the English language (i.e., has the most uses and meanings). Now anybody who would say that obviously doesn't know what the **** they're talking about, do they?

BRDSR
05-23-2005, 12:09 AM
Or he's tired of arm chair idiots. I would assume it's the latter. And I'm with him.

None of us here take the field at U.S. Cellular or have a job in the Sox' front office. We're all arm chair idiots. I personally love it. :wink:

doublem23
05-23-2005, 12:13 AM
It doesn't matter what Ozzie does in this town; if he leaves McCarthy in and he seals the deal on the Cubs, he probably throws close to 100 pitches and then everyone blows a gasket because Ozzie "stretched the kid out."

**** it. The Sox are 31-13. Even the best teams in baseball lose every now and then.

owensmouth
05-23-2005, 12:43 AM
Didn't surprise me that Ozzie pulled McCarthy when he did. I was disappointed with the home run off Vizxaino, but I was even more disappointed by our solo home run or nothing offense today.

balke
05-23-2005, 12:46 AM
Didn't surprise me that Ozzie pulled McCarthy when he did. I was disappointed with the home run off Vizxaino, but I was even more disappointed by our solo home run or nothing offense today.

Eh, it was Prior and we went after his fastball. At least we scored late, and made a run. Also, we held the lead yet again. I wasn't too disappointed in the offense. Prior's a pretty good pitcher, and our hitters handled him pretty well.

Epark84
05-23-2005, 12:57 AM
its fine if he wants to go back at the reporter, but the reporter wouldnt be doing his job if he didnt ask the question. A non-issue to me. I dont agree with ozzie and he did pull him too early and an even bigger mistake was vizcaino. That guy flat out sucks

mealfred13
05-23-2005, 02:54 AM
Besides, did you see the pitch that DuBois hit? A nasty low and outside slider. He hit a great pitch.

At least someone was watching the same game I was. I don't know how some people are saying he gave the guy a high cookie... That ball was down and out, and not even close to a freebie, he hit it off the end of the bat, and he got under it alot. I don't blame Viz at all. It was just a stroke of luck that they won. We had the game in the bag.

Dan H
05-23-2005, 06:31 AM
Things like this happen. Guillen is mad today, will be all right tomorrow. Reporters are paid to ask questions like that. Many fans felt the same. Vizcaino, after giving up that homer, has a 6.55 ERA. He hasn't done it all year.

Actually, I saw the logic to Guillen's decision. I've seen managers do worse things. It was a tight game. The Sox could have lost leaving McCarthy in. As much as I hate the Cubs, I give Prior a credit. He's got talent, and he is a real competitor.

The lesson to learn is this: When Hernandez comes back, keep McCarthy and demote Vizcaino.

ChicagoHoosier
05-23-2005, 07:27 AM
The lesson to learn is this: When Hernandez comes back, keep McCarthy and demote Vizcaino.

No, McCarthy in the bullpen is not our answer. Put him back in Charlotte and continue to get in his innings.

Agree with other posters. Unless we went undefeated in close games (and every game we've played has either been close or won), there ALWAYS is an opportunity to quesiton the manager. McCarthy stays in, gives up a homer or a couple of runs, and we yell at Ozzie for the reasons the supporting fans on this board agreed with him taking McCarthy out of the game. McCarthy stays in and does fine, but later has arm problems, same thing. Cotts comes in instead of Viz and gives up the runs, we all bitch about how Viz should have come in. Or, we burn some more bullpen, like Polite or Shingo, and then they're tired for a very important series coming up.

Come on guys... I know it's part of this board and our nature to second guess, but don't call Ozzie or some of these players idiots unless they REALLY SCREW UP. This was just a managerial decision that didn't work out. Agree it's the reporters job to ask the question and can understand why he's frustrated, but let's not turn McCarthy into a another broken-armed Kerry Wood.

PaleHoseGeorge
05-23-2005, 07:33 AM

Yep. I give Ozzie Guillen a complete pass on this matter, simply because I know Bruce LevineLine was one of the dopes in the pressroom he was yelling at.
:cool:

http://images.radcity.net/5176/584831.jpg
"Ozzie, if I were Romeo and you were Juliet what would you do about our parents?"

Iguana775
05-23-2005, 07:39 AM
It's funny. If Ozzie would have left him in and Ramirez would have hit a HR, everyone would be bitching about leaving him in too long. get the hell over it.

I'm not upset about taking him out cause he leaves with a lead and his confidence. but I am upset that he chose to bring in Gas-Can v2005.

wdelaney72
05-23-2005, 07:54 AM
Ozzie didn't lose the game, however, I do disagree with his decision. McCarthy proved to be a MLB pitcher yesterday. He EARNED the right to win or lose this game. This was right of Jerry Manual's textbook on "How to handle Jon Garland".

If it were the 7th inning, I would have agreed with Ozzie, but not in the 6th.

My biggest criticism of the team is their at bats against Prior were horrible. The entire game, Hawk and DJ kept saying they needed to work Prior for as many pitches as they could so they could get to the Cub bullpen, and they were exactly right. Very few batters worked the count and made him throw a lot of pitchers. That was very frustrating.

Also, how about Uribe failing to get a sac fly with runners on 1st and 3rd with 1 out? That run would have tied the game.

spawn
05-23-2005, 08:03 AM
'If if's and but's were candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas'.

It's kinda hard to work the count when Prior is throwing first ball strikes. Prior is not Kerry Wood. He has good mechanics, and is usually around the plate. I don't mind the Sox batters taking their hacks. As for Uribe not getting a sac fly, hell, say what you want, but Prior is a good pitcher. Good pitchers get out of jams like the one he was in. Give the guy some credit. He pitched a hell of a game. And for all the second guessing concerning Ozzie taking out McCarthy...as one poster said earlier: if he's left in and gives up the dinger to Ramirez, there would be a number of posts lamenting Ozzie leaving him in after Ramirez was locked into McCarthy in his previous at-bats. Ozzie has made a lot of good decisions so far this year, more good than bad. We need to get off the guys back. And Dubois got lucky his fly ball got caught in the windstream blowing out to right. Jeez, we lost one game. I don't care if it was to the Cubs. We still took the series. Yes, a sweep would've been nice, but we still live the Urinal with a 5 game lead over the Twinkies. That's all I care about.

bayzbol44
05-23-2005, 08:03 AM
Exactly wdelaney72, everyone should be upset at Uribe instead of Ozzie. The guy swings for the damn fences every freaking time. I really wish the Sox would go after a better SS.

Ozzie is the manager and he is the manager of OUR team. Did he make a mistake? Maybe, but who cares? It is one loss and he protected a young pitcher. At least he is not dragging him out there like the scrubbies did with their young studs.

spawn
05-23-2005, 08:10 AM
Exactly wdelaney72, everyone should be upset at Uribe instead of Ozzie. The guy swings for the damn fences every freaking time. I really wish the Sox would go after a better SS.

This just takes the cake. You're absolutely right. Good shortstops are in plentiful supply. Maybe we should've kept Jose Valentin.:rolleyes:

PaleHoseGeorge
05-23-2005, 08:16 AM
Ozzie didn't lose the game, however, I do disagree with his decision. McCarthy proved to be a MLB pitcher yesterday. He EARNED the right to win or lose this game. This was right of Jerry Manual's textbook on "How to handle Jon Garland"...

Why am I sure you would be one of the people pissing and moaning here today about how unfair it was for McCarthy to be left in and lose the game in the seventh because pitching in the Urinal was too much for the kid?

Why am I sure you would STILL be invoking Jerry Manuel's name, not in relation to Jon Garland but Neal Cotts instead?

Give me a break... we won 2 of 3... the BIG games are coming up in Anaheim. Quit whining.

Grobber33
05-23-2005, 09:34 AM
Anybody who has ever listened to Ozzie knows that the "f-bomb" is his favorite adjective. I've heard a story (maybe Grobber knows if it's true) that when Ozzie first came up with the Sox he was doing a live interview and dropped one.

He did. BUT this was in 1985 when as a Rookie he spoke no(and I mean NO)English. I was in Ft.Lauderdale with Steve and Garry on WLS for a remote. The Sox were going to play the Yanks that night. S & G were in the broadcast booth while I was on the field with a wireless mic that was a new technology at that time. I was on with Steve and he wanted me to get Ozzie to say something in Spanish,knowing I spoke a little bit of it. So I went up to Ozzie and said, 'El radio en el Ciudad de Chicago Ozzie!'. He had no idea what that mic was and thought it was a toy. He laughed and said f--- you, f--- you, f--- you" and laughed some more. We were NOT in delay,but Steve got a major kick out of it. I then went over to interview Greg Walker and during that, Luis Salazar(who speaks perfect English)'dragged' Ozzie over to us behind the batting cage and said "He wants to apologize!". Ozzie was red as a beet. Luis explained to Ozzie what was going on! Ozzie and I have been buddies ever since. He has not changed one bit!!! My guess is he and Brad Palmer will laugh what happened Sunday off once the Sox get back to town.

LVSoxFan
05-23-2005, 09:38 AM
This thread is the definition of second-guessing; if it had been McCarthy who had given it up, everybody'd be on Ozzie's back asking him why he left the kid in so long. And with the reliever, now everybody's asking... why he didn't leave McCarthy in.

Unlike the Cubs, our bullpen's job is to close games out, and this time they (Vizcaino) didn't do that. So freakin' what? It happens. But luckily for us, it doesn't happen often.

I'm finding it more than a little hard to get upset when we took the series (which is the only thing that matters long-term) and we lost only 4-3. We killed them Friday, faced their two best pitchers yesterday and Saturday and walked away with a win and a near-win. Zambrano was lights-out Saturday and we still won. Prior was lights-out yesterday and we almost took him.

The real concerns, once again, have to do with the sputtering offense. Sure we pulled it out Saturday, but yesterday everybody was flailing, save for the solo HR shots. Uribe in particular has been awful. I agree with the poster who said he looks like he's trying to hit a HR every time. He's always been a streaky hitter, but every time he came up yesterday I just rolled my eyes. Thank God he provides solid defense to offset that.

In the end, though: two out of three. I'll take that with any series this season--that's more than enough for me. We can sweep them at the Cell--by that time they should be in full collapse. And McCarthy looked damn good.

Let's move on. Now we have a dreaded four game series out West and with the Angels no less.

voodoochile
05-23-2005, 10:14 AM
http://images.radcity.net/5176/584831.jpg
"Ozzie, if I were Romeo and you were Juliet what would you do about our parents?"

:ozzie:
"What the **** kind of stupid ****ing quesiton is that you ****in idiot? I mean who gives a **** about the ****ing parents. Romeo and Juliet were ****ing....... in love. When two people ****ing love each other, nothing else ****ing matters. **** Mom. **** Dad. **** your Mom. **** your dad. We'd ****ing elope and then we'd deal with the ****ing fallout afterwards. By then we'd have a house and it would me MY ****ing house and I make up the ****ing rules in my own ****ing house.

Oh and Bruce, if you were Romeo and I were ****ing Juliet (Yeah, like I'd be the ****ing woman in THAT ****ing relationship :rolleyes: ), I'd ****ing blow my ****ing head off before I'd ****ing marry you. At the least, I wouldn't take a fake ****ing poison the first time..."

Mickster
05-23-2005, 10:17 AM
Let's move on. Now we have a dreaded four game series out West and with the Angels no less.

We're facing the angels without Vlad and rumors are that Anderson and F. Rodriguez will not be available..... :wink:

:ozzie
"I'd rather be lucky than good"

wdelaney72
05-23-2005, 01:30 PM
Why am I sure you would be one of the people pissing and moaning here today about how unfair it was for McCarthy to be left in and lose the game in the seventh because pitching in the Urinal was too much for the kid?

Why am I sure you would STILL be invoking Jerry Manuel's name, not in relation to Jon Garland but Neal Cotts instead?

Give me a break... we won 2 of 3... the BIG games are coming up in Anaheim. Quit whining.

PHG,
With all due respect, you don't know me well enough to make these assumptions. First of all, I'm not whining. I'm ecstatic we won the series and I'll repeat this... Ozzie did not lose the game for the team. I don't care who the starting pitcher is. He was going along just fine... he should have been left in. I'm NOT calling for Ozzie's head, or saying he's a bad manager, or that Vizcaiano (sp?) is a bad pitcher. I think he made a poor decision in this situation... period. Given Ozzie's reaction, I think he knows he made a mistake.

PaleHoseGeorge
05-23-2005, 01:34 PM
PHG,
With all due respect, you don't know me well enough to make these assumptions. First of all, I'm not whining. I'm ecstatic we won the series and I'll repeat this... Ozzie did not lose the game for the team. I don't care who the starting pitcher is. He was going along just fine... he should have been left in. I'm NOT calling for Ozzie's head, or saying he's a bad manager, or that Vizcaiano (sp?) is a bad pitcher. I think he made a poor decision in this situation... period. Given Ozzie's reaction, I think he knows he made a mistake.

Fine for you. Ozzie is the manager and neither of us makes that decision. Him being "wrong" sure as hell doesn't make your decision (leave a rookie in for the seventh) "right," does it?
:?:

Whether *Ozzie* thinks he made a mistake is highly debatable. Since when is Ozzie not suppose to trust his bullpen? That's Dusty's problem, not Ozzie's.
:?: :?:

davenicholson
05-23-2005, 01:55 PM

My first visit to the site. I invite anyone who thinks the Les displays obvious bias against the Sox in his reporting to visit, also. I was pleasantly surprised and will definitely be back. But I can safely predict that he and I will *never* agree on national politics! :D:

hawkjt
05-23-2005, 02:03 PM
I really have no problem with pulling BMac cuz as was indicated he has not gone any deeper than 7 in AAA. Unfortunately his stuff was still better than Vizzys but I also concede that Dubose made contact on a down and out pitch and was lucky enough to pop it high. Too bad that the bloop by Patterson preceding it was just inches from being caught and inning over.

My concern is that Oz seems to think that he should never be questioned on his moves and as a fan I want to know what his thought process is on his field decisions. It is only may and he is very edgey already. Wait til the heat of Sept pennant race and how will Oz handle the press after a tough loss with minny breathing down our neck? He should be cool as a cucumber right now. It is as good as it gets,Oz. He probably just hated the confines of that closet they call an office. I know he will not hold a grudge but he seems unable to control himself at times. I think he was more laid back last year. No sweat,Oz, you got the best team in baseball.

TDog
05-23-2005, 04:27 PM
It's part of being a manager in the big leagues! When your decision doesn't work out you get second guessed. Oz needs to deal with it better, all of the F bombs are weak. As long as he keeps a winning team I can deal with him acting immature and thin skinned. It is a bad profession to be in if he doesn't like being second guessed though.

I would rather have a manager who cares more about winning than being nice to hostile media.

Ozzie made what he thought was the right move at the time. Frankly, I would have done the same thing, probably would have lifted BMac after he hit DLee. He was falling behind hitters, and there's no doubt in my mind that he would have given up the lead.

The problem wasn't that he lifted BMac, but that Viz didn't do his job. If Ozzie would have left BMac in, he would have had to deal with questions about leaving him in too long.

TornLabrum
05-23-2005, 08:32 PM
He did. BUT this was in 1985 when as a Rookie he spoke no(and I mean NO)English. I was in Ft.Lauderdale with Steve and Garry on WLS for a remote. The Sox were going to play the Yanks that night. S & G were in the broadcast booth while I was on the field with a wireless mic that was a new technology at that time. I was on with Steve and he wanted me to get Ozzie to say something in Spanish,knowing I spoke a little bit of it. So I went up to Ozzie and said, 'El radio en el Ciudad de Chicago Ozzie!'. He had no idea what that mic was and thought it was a toy. He laughed and said f--- you, f--- you, f--- you" and laughed some more. We were NOT in delay,but Steve got a major kick out of it. I then went over to interview Greg Walker and during that, Luis Salazar(who speaks perfect English)'dragged' Ozzie over to us behind the batting cage and said "He wants to apologize!". Ozzie was red as a beet. Luis explained to Ozzie what was going on! Ozzie and I have been buddies ever since. He has not changed one bit!!! My guess is he and Brad Palmer will laugh what happened Sunday off once the Sox get back to town.

Thanks for the story, Grobber. I now remember where I heard it. It was recently on the Steve Dahl Show. (Duh! The memory is going fast!) First time I've heard the entire story, though.

When you have Ozzie around, you just have to kind of adjust. As many here know, the Windy City Sox Fans have luncheons each summer. Ozzie, as a player and now as manager, has always done our June luncheon, and last year was no exception. After lunch we always have a Q&A, and someone in the audience asked a question about something someone had said. I don't remember the context, if it was about a reporter or a newspaper story or what, but the thing to remember is a lot of people bring young kids to these luncheons.

So when Ozzie hears the question it gets his dander up, and he says, "All I can say is that's a lot of bull****." He then realized where he was, smiled and said, "You kids cover your ears."

wdelaney72
05-24-2005, 11:00 AM
Fine for you. Ozzie is the manager and neither of us makes that decision. Him being "wrong" sure as hell doesn't make your decision (leave a rookie in for the seventh) "right," does it?
:?:

Whether *Ozzie* thinks he made a mistake is highly debatable. Since when is Ozzie not suppose to trust his bullpen? That's Dusty's problem, not Ozzie's.
:?: :?:

I agree.

Viva Medias B's
05-24-2005, 11:07 AM
I was just thinking. Suppose Ozzie registered himself as a WSI member. How long would it be before he gets banned for posting his favorite words in a post?

voodoochile
05-24-2005, 12:36 PM
I was just thinking. Suppose Ozzie registered himself as a WSI member. How long would it be before he gets banned for posting his favorite words in a post?

So long as he let the language filter do the work and didn't intentionally misspell things in an attempt to evade them, he wouldn't. For a reference, check my earlier post in this very thread which was a joke response to PHG's question about how Ozzie would respond to Bruce Levineline.

Paulwny
05-24-2005, 12:41 PM
If JR and KW have no apparent problems with Ozzie and his dealings with the press why should anyone here be upset ?

Hangar18
05-24-2005, 12:44 PM

Brad Palmer got right to the POINT, and asked Ozzie Manuel why he pulled
Brandon McCarthy after only 78 pitches and was in cruise control. Ozzie
immediately blew up and said "Why? because im the F****** manager thats why!" and as noted, went on a fbomb tirade. I think that was a bit ridiculous on his part. It was obvious he was more Angry at himself for doing something stupid. If he took BMac out for Marte, or for the better half of our bullpen is one thing, but to put Luis "2004 Mike Jackson Style" Vizcaino
out there was just plain dumb. I screamed at the TV when I saw that happening .........

Hangar18
05-24-2005, 12:47 PM
If JR and KW have no apparent problems with Ozzie and his dealings with the press why should anyone here be upset ?

I didnt agree with Ozz getting that upset and having his whole response bleeped out. Dumb, mostly because it was his fault. Stop Overmanaging Ozzie!
doggone him. This is how losing streaks begin .........

D. TODD
05-24-2005, 03:06 PM
I would rather have a manager who cares more about winning than being nice to hostile media.

Ozzie made what he thought was the right move at the time. Frankly, I would have done the same thing, probably would have lifted BMac after he hit DLee. He was falling behind hitters, and there's no doubt in my mind that he would have given up the lead.

The problem wasn't that he lifted BMac, but that Viz didn't do his job. If Ozzie would have left BMac in, he would have had to deal with questions about leaving him in too long. I have no problem with the move, or his rational to why he made the move, but as I stated earlier my concern is his overreactions to being questioned. It may lead to a earlier then needed exit as a skipper when times are not so good in the standings. I love his fire, and his outburst may just be a part of package. It reminds me a bit of Billy Martin, and his stints with teams seemed to be short lived whereever he went. I hope that's not the case with Oz, since I enjoy the product he is putting out on to the Field.