PDA

View Full Version : today's CSN broadcast

chaerulez
05-22-2005, 03:12 PM
Now I'm sorry if I should know who this Moose guy is thats calling the game with Hawk and DJ, but I don't and I'm wondering why he is a part of it? Are the Sox trying to experiment with the booth? Also, I don't think he's doing that good of a job... he said he's afraid everytime Patterson comes to bat because he has great ability...

jortafan
05-22-2005, 03:24 PM
How can you not know about Moose Skowron?

Seriously, Moose (Bill to his mother) played for the Yankees back in the late 1950s and early 1960s (1st base), and was part of the White Sox team that nearly won a pennant in 1964. He now works public relations for the White Sox, making public appearances to help promote the team.

While I'll agree with you that Moose is not a natural broadcast type (even he admits so), it was entertaining to hear him and his reminisces for this one game.

Besides, he wasn't anywhere near as annoying as Ron Santo is in the broadcast booth.

Chisox003
05-22-2005, 03:28 PM
How can you not know about Moose Skowron?

Seriously, Moose (Bill to his mother) played for the Yankees back in the late 1950s and early 1960s (1st base), and was part of the White Sox team that nearly won a pennant in 1964. He now works public relations for the White Sox, making public appearances to help promote the team.

While I'll agree with you that Moose is not a natural broadcast type (even he admits so), it was entertaining to hear him and his reminisces for this one game.

Besides, he wasn't anywhere near as annoying as Ron Santo is in the broadcast booth.

I think Moose is doing fine....

Even he said that he would never be an announcer, and this is his 1st time ever participating in the booth like this....

Hes been pretty funny too...:gulp:

SomebodyToldMe
05-22-2005, 04:12 PM
You're sorry? Hell, I'M sorry that you don't know who he is.

SoxFan76
05-22-2005, 04:20 PM
This guy is cracking me up.

I want Mags back
05-22-2005, 04:27 PM
This guy is cracking me up.

I loved that story on bunt attemps

illinibk
05-22-2005, 04:29 PM
I loved that story on bunt attemps
Or his fight with Larry Doby

ode to veeck
05-22-2005, 04:42 PM
Grat to hear Moose in the booth today. Sure he's no announcer, but his stories were great, as were his Sox playing days

kevingrt
05-22-2005, 05:23 PM
Grat to hear Moose in the booth today. Sure he's no announcer, but his stories were great, as were his Sox playing days

Moose was funny in the booth, added some pizazz... how can you not know who Moose is? I'm 18 and I know who the guy is!

SoxFan76
05-22-2005, 05:28 PM
I had to sell my World Series watch for Anderson windows.

LOL!

soxfan123
05-22-2005, 10:14 PM
In my opinion, I was happy listening to Moose talk over DJ ranting about the game. I loved Moose's easy-going attitude. He was in no way a presence or something that would affect the memories of the gama, but it was a nice fill in for the dull and lame wordings of DJ. I hope they bring Ventura back in to do the same sometime in the season.

White Sox Josh
05-22-2005, 10:17 PM
I was glad Moose was there.

Viva Medias B's
05-22-2005, 10:22 PM
At SoxFest, Moose is always there at the seminars telling his Yankee stories.

Palpidious
05-22-2005, 10:48 PM
where the BLEEP was robin? mooose? MOOSE? gimmie a break. the sox need to really reach out to some of their players that casual fans would know. this organization really sucks when it comes to PR. one of the reasons i like having ozzie as a manager is the fact that almost all of his coaches were actually on the white sox. moose is a nice guy but they need to get someone else. this guy is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too old and no one really cares about him besides a very small minority.

SoxFan928
05-22-2005, 11:08 PM
where the BLEEP was robin? mooose? MOOSE? gimmie a break. the sox need to really reach out to some of their players that casual fans would know. this organization really sucks when it comes to PR. one of the reasons i like having ozzie as a manager is the fact that almost all of his coaches were actually on the white sox. moose is a nice guy but they need to get someone else. this guy is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too old and no one really cares about him besides a very small minority.

Now how could you say a thing like that? There were a lot of people crowding around the CSN booth at SoxFest to see him, he had lots of stories to tell, oh, and he signed my bat, too. Just about any White Sox fan should know who he is. I really enjoyed his commentary for the brief period I parked in front of the TV today. Just my two cents.

Palpidious
05-22-2005, 11:27 PM
he's too old and the only reason anyone knows who he is, is because the sox trot his old ass out there EVERYWHERE.

Brian26
05-22-2005, 11:34 PM

Eh.

He doesn't do it for me, I'm sorry. I know I'm in the minority here. I guess I viewed today's game as too important to have Skowron's lame comedy act going. I found him completely annoying. Everytime the ball was hit, he yell out "uh oh" or "Oh yeah". On the doubleplay ball the Sox hit into late in the game, Moose yelled "alright...i mean, uh oh". How annoying is that? Save this kind of crap for meaningless games against the Devil Rays or Royals. With the magnitude of today's game, there's no reason to have this act going in the booth.

TornLabrum
05-22-2005, 11:35 PM
he's too old and the only reason anyone knows who he is, is because the sox trot his old ass out there EVERYWHERE.

Well, hell, let's just put everybody over 30 into the gas chamber so we don't have to be bothered by anybody who is too old.

Brian26
05-22-2005, 11:37 PM
At SoxFest, Moose is always there at the seminars telling his Yankee stories.

I know I looked this up awhile ago, but didn't he play for less than two full seasons with the Sox? I know he does a lot of PR work and helps with the charitable stuff for the organization, but he's billed as a White Sox legend...I think Cory Snyder played here longer than Skowron.

TornLabrum
05-22-2005, 11:38 PM
I know I looked this up awhile ago, but didn't he play for less than two full seasons with the Sox? I know he does a lot of PR work and helps with the charitable stuff for the organization, but he's billed as a White Sox legend...I think Cory Snyder played here longer than Skowron.

Of course Cory wasn't born and raised in Chicago's Polish community as Moose was.

DickAllen72
05-22-2005, 11:39 PM
I enjoyed Moose Skowron in the booth with Hawk & DJ today. I hope they have him back often throughout the year.

Lip Man 1
05-22-2005, 11:42 PM
Brian:

Cory played for the Sox for three months in 1991. He was traded in mid season because he didn't get along with Walt Hriniak (and he wasn't the only one...)

Lip

Brian26
05-22-2005, 11:43 PM
Of course Cory wasn't born and raised in Chicago's Polish community as Moose was.

Just to correct myself, it looks like he played more than two years here.

In '64, he played in 73 games with the Sox. He had 146 games in '65, 120 in '66, and only 8 games in '67. So he played approximately 2.5 seasons.

Brian26
05-22-2005, 11:44 PM
Brian:

Cory played for the Sox for three months in 1991. He was traded in mid season because he didn't get along with Walt Hriniak (and he wasn't the only one...)

Lip

Ok...what about Pat Tabler? :D:

seanpmurphy
05-22-2005, 11:47 PM
Well, hell, let's just put everybody over 30 into the gas chamber so we don't have to be bothered by anybody who is too old.

Frank Thomas is what, 37? :wink:

BarbG
05-22-2005, 11:47 PM
I enjoyed Moose Skowron in the booth with Hawk & DJ today. I hope they have him back often throughout the year.

I agree totally.

Moose was a breath of fresh air, we loved listening to him in the booth.

ode to veeck
05-22-2005, 11:53 PM
moose was a breadth of fresh air in the booth, though i am wondering about those anderson's windows myself about now ...

owensmouth
05-23-2005, 01:12 AM
I didn't get to hear what Skowron had to say today, because MLB TV blessed us all with the @#$%^ sCrubs' broadcast. I went back to John and Farmeo after one inning.

However, I've heard Skowron's stich before. He's a Yankee, and I hate the Yankees.

The Larry Doby fight. I wish a few on the Yankees had gotten seriously injured in that fight. Nothing has ever made me hate the NY insignia like that fight.

Skowron was a darn good batter, especially when he was playing in Comiskey Park. He always seemed to drive the ball to right center, in between Landis and Rivera for a double. I always wanted Donovan, Pierce and Wynn to just run fastballs into Skowron's ribs. That way he'd only be starting off at first.

This is the same Moose Skowron that ruined Gary Peters perfect game with (as I remember) a nineth inning home run.

Yeah, he played for the Sox for a couple of years, but it always seemed he played against the Sox for eternity.

ClaudelSleptHere
05-23-2005, 04:58 AM
this is the only site I know where you can see the phrase "moose was a breath of fresh air."

ode to veeck
05-23-2005, 09:52 AM
this is the only site I know where you can see the phrase "moose was a breath of fresh air."

LOL! of course it is :redneck

jenmcm76
05-23-2005, 10:20 AM
I had to sell my World Series watch for Anderson windows.

LOL!

That CRACKED me up... And then DJ asked if he could come over some time and see his World Series Windows. Hahahaha! Think of the tangents Moose and DJ could go off on if left alone in the booth on a regular basis...

chisox117
05-23-2005, 10:27 AM
I agree with the "Moose Sucked" crowd. He offered up WAY too many self-aggrandizing Yankee anecdotes for my liking. Paging through the White Sox Encyclopedia, I can easily choose a dozen former Sox who had more substantial runs with the Sox that I’d have rather had up in the booth (Billy Pierce, Ron Kittle or Lamarr Hoyt anyone?) Even Donn Pall managed to sustain my interest a lot better than that. Of course Moose has already been paid, and Riensy wants to wring all he can out of the poor bastard…Here’s a Polish word you might know Moose: "Nudny" (boring)---get back to the bingo hall where you belong!
:gulp:

chaerulez
05-23-2005, 10:32 AM
Yeah that's another thing... I was wondering for a while if this guy even had any years with the Sox because of all the Yankees stories. I'm sorry, but I have to consider this guy a Yankee and I'm sure Yankee fans do the same.

chaerulez
05-23-2005, 10:33 AM
I didn't get to hear what Skowron had to say today, because MLB TV blessed us all with the @#$%^ sCrubs' broadcast. I went back to John and Farmeo after one inning.

However, I've heard Skowron's stich before. He's a Yankee, and I hate the Yankees.

The Larry Doby fight. I wish a few on the Yankees had gotten seriously injured in that fight. Nothing has ever made me hate the NY insignia like that fight.

Skowron was a darn good batter, especially when he was playing in Comiskey Park. He always seemed to drive the ball to right center, in between Landis and Rivera for a double. I always wanted Donovan, Pierce and Wynn to just run fastballs into Skowron's ribs. That way he'd only be starting off at first.

This is the same Moose Skowron that ruined Gary Peters perfect game with (as I remember) a nineth inning home run.

Yeah, he played for the Sox for a couple of years, but it always seemed he played against the Sox for eternity.

What was wrong with the fight? Did it have racial overtones for the obvious reasons?

Paulwny
05-23-2005, 01:14 PM

Yep, he's a yankee and will always be a yankee.

Lip Man 1
05-23-2005, 01:19 PM
Ask and ye shall receive:

Moose did not break up a perfect game. His home run came in the second inning of a game Gary would end up with as a one hitter.

ML: The other one hitter you threw was on May 14, 1967 the second game of a twin bill against the Angels. You won 3-1. Not only did you pitch a one hitter with ten strikeouts, but you singled home two runs. How about that one?

GP: "I didn’t have exceptional stuff that day but the Angels lineup wasn’t the best. It wasn’t as good as Baltimore’s a few years earlier. I threw a bad pitch to "Moose" Skowron and he hit it into the lower deck in left center. As far as my hitting, I know that being able to hit added wins and complete games to my career. Managers left me in games because of it. If I couldn’t hit, I would have been taken out for a pinch hitter."

as far as the 'fight'

June 13, 1957-The Sox and Yankees hook up in perhaps the greatest "basebrawl" in history. In the 1st inning New York’s Art Ditmar threw a pitch at the head of the Sox Larry Doby. As the pitch rolled to the wall, Ditmar ran to cover home. Doby warned Ditmar about the pitch, then threw a left hook. The fight appeared to have racial overtones and lasted a full thirty minutes. Chicago native (and current White Sox public relations employee) "Moose" Skowron jumped on Doby which brought Walt Dropo into the fray. Dropo was at least 6-6 and a monster for his time. At various times, Whitey Ford, Casey Stengel, "Jungle" Jim Rivera and Enos "Country" Slaughter were in the middle of it. Slaughter’s jersey was ripped to pieces and his hat knocked to the side of his head. After things settled down Billy Martin rushed into things and started in on Doby. Four players were ejected and fined for the melee.

Lip

bayzbol44
05-23-2005, 01:28 PM
People, get over it. Moose sucked and he should not of been brought to announce this "great" game.

Bring him out during spring training or when the Sox are playing the Royals, Devil Rays, Blue Jays, etc.. Why bring him during the White Sox/Cubs game?

However, the more he talked, the less I had to listen to the one eyed dork.

The people who like Hawk are probably the same people who thought Moose was a breath of fresh air.

owensmouth
05-23-2005, 01:33 PM

Moose did not break up a perfect game. His home run came in the second inning of a game Gary would end up with as a one hitter.

ML: The other one hitter you threw was on May 14, 1967 the second game of a twin bill against the Angels. You won 3-1. Not only did you pitch a one hitter with ten strikeouts, but you singled home two runs. How about that one?

GP: "I didn’t have exceptional stuff that day but the Angels lineup wasn’t the best. It wasn’t as good as Baltimore’s a few years earlier. I threw a bad pitch to "Moose" Skowron and he hit it into the lower deck in left center. As far as my hitting, I know that being able to hit added wins and complete games to my career. Managers left me in games because of it. If I couldn’t hit, I would have been taken out for a pinch hitter."

as far as the 'fight'

June 13, 1957-The Sox and Yankees hook up in perhaps the greatest "basebrawl" in history. In the 1st inning New York’s Art Ditmar threw a pitch at the head of the Sox Larry Doby. As the pitch rolled to the wall, Ditmar ran to cover home. Doby warned Ditmar about the pitch, then threw a left hook. The fight appeared to have racial overtones and lasted a full thirty minutes. Chicago native (and current White Sox public relations employee) "Moose" Skowron jumped on Doby which brought Walt Dropo into the fray. Dropo was at least 6-6 and a monster for his time. At various times, Whitey Ford, Casey Stengel, "Jungle" Jim Rivera and Enos "Country" Slaughter were in the middle of it. Slaughter’s jersey was ripped to pieces and his hat knocked to the side of his head. After things settled down Billy Martin rushed into things and started in on Doby. Four players were ejected and fined for the melee.

LipThat's the one Lip. By the way, when we talk about good Sox pitching staffs, the one with Peters, Pizarro, Horlen, and Tommie John (along with Howard or whoever else was number 5) was one of my favorites.

haganaga
05-23-2005, 01:40 PM
Now I'm sorry if I should know who this Moose guy is thats calling the game with Hawk and DJ, but I don't and I'm wondering why he is a part of it? Are the Sox trying to experiment with the booth? Also, I don't think he's doing that good of a job... he said he's afraid everytime Patterson comes to bat because he has great ability...

Moose was the guy crowding the plate at fantasy baseball camp so Kramer had to brush him back (because he owns the inside part of that plate)...eventually leading to him punching out Mickey Mantle. :smile:

SpammySosa
05-23-2005, 01:47 PM
Moose always has and always will be known as a Yankee and will tell you that himself.But his love of Chicago and certainly his love for baseball is quite evident if you ever had the opportunity to speak to him. I am not only a Sox fan, but also a baseball fan and have had a few occasions to talk to Moose about his career.While most of his stories center on his Yankee experiences,he has a wealth of knowledge to share on an era of baseball I never got to witness first hand.And for the record,he talks as passionately about his Sox experiences as he does his Yankees and will answer any question you have.This is certainly the type of person I am proud to have as part of the organization even if his Sox career was brief. Say what you will about his announcing abilities(or lack thereof),but unless you have actually had the chance to talk to him one on one,I don't think it is fair to question what kind of person he is.

bayzbol44
05-23-2005, 01:50 PM
Spammmy, but aren't our comments about his "announcing" abilities and not about how nice of a person he is??? I am sure he is as nice, if not nicer, than my grandpa. That doesn't mean my grandpa, who played a lot of little league baseball, should be announcing a Sox/Cubs game, does it?

Oh well, a lot of people probably didn't even notice him since he talks as much as Hawk.

SpammySosa
05-23-2005, 01:59 PM
Spammmy, but aren't our comments about his "announcing" abilities and not about how nice of a person he is???

Unfortunately,no, not everyone's comments were reflective of their opinion of his announcing "skills." The man himself said he wasn't announcing material and I think most of us would agree.Now if we could get DJ to acknowledge this about himself.... I wouldn't want Moose in there every game but I wouldn't mind the occasional appearance.I am not so sure he added any pizazz to the broadcast,but like others said it was a nice distraction from DJ and carried at least some entertainment value for myself.

hawkjt
05-23-2005, 03:21 PM
Sorry,even tho I respect Moose and all that it just did not work for todays game. This was a very tense tight ball game and we went innings at a time without comment on what was unfolding on the field while being subjected to stories about events 40 years ago. I do not blame Moose at all cuz DJ kept egging him on like he was trying to make conversation on an awkward blind date or something. I could live with it early in the game but as the innings went by and the tension level rose I assumed the story telling time would pass and we could talk about the exciting debut of a future sox star or Dye on a rampage or anything that was actually happening on the field. I could tell that Hawk was getting frustrated that he would have to jump in there to say'' big pitch'' on a 3-2 count. Then DJ would jump right back in and say Moose , did you ever go to the mound? Jeeeeseus H Christ DJ lets check out live baseball dontcha think?

It drove me nuts.

skottyj242
05-23-2005, 03:42 PM
Moose was the guy crowding the plate at fantasy baseball camp so Kramer had to brush him back (because he owns the inside part of that plate)...eventually leading to him punching out Mickey Mantle. :smile:

No it wasn't it was Joe Pepitone.

haganaga
05-23-2005, 04:14 PM
No it wasn't it was Joe Pepitone.

Bah! Really? Oh well, worth a shot. Was Moose involved at all? Thought I remembered his name coming up on that.

TornLabrum
05-23-2005, 09:42 PM

as far as the 'fight'

Lip

I was at that game, the second I ever went to. I was 7 years old and had just recovered from a tonsillectomy. As I remember it, Ditmar threw one up and in and Doby shouted something at Ditmar. Ditmar approached the plate shouting at Doby. I think Rich Lindberg has written that what was shouted definitely was a racial slur.

The person who ripped Slaughter's uniform to shreds was Dropo. I can still remember my dad pointing out Slaughter going to the dugout.

The fight was interesting in that once they seemed to have things settle down, somebody (I think maybe Ford) shouted something, and all hell broke loose again. I was at that fight and the one against the Tigers a few years ago. Both were great brawls, but the '57 one had to have been better. It hink it took around 40-45 minutes to resume play.

Lip Man 1
05-24-2005, 01:25 AM
Hal:

It was Billy Martin according to Billy Pierce.

Lip

TornLabrum
05-24-2005, 11:53 PM
Hal:

It was Billy Martin according to Billy Pierce.

Lip

He was a lot closer to it than I was! I was in the reserved grandstand seats trying to see over people's heads. I defer to Billy.

JohnBasedowYoda
05-25-2005, 12:01 AM
moose did well, he is old and not a broadcaster so mistakes are expected.i enjoyed it thoroughly....he was very funny and cool

daveeym
05-25-2005, 08:51 AM
moose did well, he is old and not a broadcaster so mistakes are expected.i enjoyed it thoroughly....he was very funny and cool Damn straight, Moose really started being seen around and about during the 2000 division championship season. I'm with those that love to hear his stories about a golden era in baseball that I'm way to young to know about.

The funniest thing he kept saying all game was how he loves calling bingo for the elderly. At first I was like ***, is he mocking his job, who's he to be calling people elderly. Then he finally gets around to saying how he calls bingo for White Sox Charities and its his favorite part of the job. Now that was some funny ****.