PDA

View Full Version : Oh God, they're talking to Santo...

fquaye149
05-22-2005, 02:06 PM
...about the Cubs Sox rivalry. Asking about his time with the White Sox.

:santo
"They called the high fastball in the AL and I always laid off the high fastball"

SOXSINCE'70
05-22-2005, 05:42 PM
:whocares

Ron Santo was known more for his fielding than his bat.
If he'd led a sCrUBS team to the WS even once(a la Brooks Robinson,
a TRUE HOF 3B,in 1966,'69,'70 and '71),he might be a HOF'er.
He isn't,and he won't be.He never led the NL in hits,
batting average,HR's or RBI's once.Can't vote him in.
He's an idiot.Sorry.When he starts ranting about how
"We gotta do" this or that,he makes Ramblin' Eddie Farmer
sound like a wise old storyteller.

C-Dawg
05-22-2005, 06:39 PM
Santo is so addled in the brain I bet Hughes had to remind him he once played for the Sox.

LuvSox
05-22-2005, 09:37 PM
During Fridays game I was doing yardwork, listening to Farmer and Rooney. An older gentlemen living across the street, who is a Cubbie fan, had WGN on. I really couldn't hear his radio but every now and then I would hear Santo losing his mind. Too funny.

White Sox Josh
05-22-2005, 09:59 PM
During Fridays game I was doing yardwork, listening to Farmer and Rooney. An older gentlemen living across the street, who is a Cubbie fan, had WGN on. I really couldn't hear his radio but every now and then I would hear Santo losing his mind. Too funny.
:hughes
AND there's a base hit for Pierzynski!

:santo
OH NO!!!!!....God! uh Patrick....You just can't do that!

Falstaff
05-23-2005, 03:14 AM
I remebber back in 70's when he briefly "played" on the Sox... One nite he was
out in left field (Melton @ 3rd) and he attempted to field a ball by the outfield
picnic area. Jumped up , hit head.... never the same again but what the heck, put him on TV! (This explans everything)

Viva Medias B's
05-23-2005, 07:55 AM
North was tearing Santo a new one this morning, saying Santo should be fired because North claims Santo doesn't prepare for broadcasts. For example, Santo asked on the air if Iguchi was with the Sox last year. He also could not remember A.J. Pierzynski.

Lip Man 1
05-23-2005, 01:27 PM
Well the Sox fired Paciorek for supposedly not being prepared. (Although it was strange that it took them eight years to come to that conclusion...)

Lip

Fenway
05-23-2005, 03:43 PM
North was tearing Santo a new one this morning, saying Santo should be fired because North claims Santo doesn't prepare for broadcasts. For example, Santo asked on the air if Iguchi was with the Sox last year. He also could not remember A.J. Pierzynski.

North got that from Teddy Greenstein today

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cs-050522greenstein,1,7105703.column?coll=chi-sportsnew-hed

Santo errs on side of genuine emotion

Published May 23, 2005

It's difficult to spell a lot of what comes out of Ron Santo's mouth.

How exactly do you represent the sound of a groan? Is it "awwwww" or "arghhhhhh" or "ohhhhh"? Or does it deserve to go in capital letters?

It's easy, though, to translate Santo into winning and losing. His wordsóand his soundsódon't even matter. It's all tone and volume. You don't even need to hear a score to know whether the Cubs are on top. That's the beauty of Santo.

But the flip side can be a bewildering lack of preparation. In the sixth inning of Sunday's game, Santo asked partner Pat Hughes, "Did [the Sox] have [Tadahito] Iguchi last year?"

The question makes you shake your head. Then you remember that Santo is one of a kind.

As always, Hughes provided a perfect yin to Santo's yang.

The Sox's team of John Rooney and Ed Farmer sound more like an old married couple, finishing each other's sentences as if their lines had been rehearsed. Guess that's what more than 12 years together in the booth will do.

Let's listen to how the crews made some big calls.

kittle42
05-23-2005, 03:51 PM
But the flip side can be a bewildering lack of preparation. In the sixth inning of Sunday's game, Santo asked partner Pat Hughes, "Did [the Sox] have [Tadahito] Iguchi last year?"

The question makes you shake your head. Then you remember that Santo is one of a kind.

Ugh. Gotta love those Cubs - incoherent, aging announcers are one of a kind.

TDog
05-23-2005, 05:51 PM
Well the Sox fired Paciorek for supposedly not being prepared. (Although it was strange that it took them eight years to come to that conclusion...)

Lip

When you have to make up a reason for firing the best part of your broadcast team, you can say he was "unprepared."

Santo needs to put in his airtime to get in the announcers wing of the Hall of Fame, where the standards are apparently low.

RKMeibalane
05-23-2005, 08:38 PM

Lip

I never believed that story. Wimpy was fired because Hawk didn't want to work with him anymore.

Bobby Thigpen
05-24-2005, 11:17 AM
Santo may be unprepared, know nothing about baseball, and probably mentally handicapped, but the Cubs will keep him forever becasue he accurately portrays their fan base.

PatK
05-25-2005, 04:10 PM
To quote someone's comments on Santo on "Critics@large" on Mac, Jurko, and Harry:

We can only hope that diabetes spreads to his tongue so we won't have to hear any of his awful announcing.

paciorek1983
05-25-2005, 07:59 PM
I never believed that story. Wimpy was fired because Hawk didn't want to work with him anymore.

Why didn't he want to work with him??

PaleHoseGeorge
05-25-2005, 09:09 PM
Why didn't he want to work with him??

The Sox pushed out Paciorek, and he has stated as much. He asked for but didn't get a vote of confidence from Jerry Reinsdorf when others in management started making new demands on him.

There was a cover story about Paciorek wanting to be closer to family (Sound familiar? It's the same story the Sox used when they eased out manager Jeff Torborg) but that one was blown to hell when Paciorek almost immediately got another announcing gig (Detroit?) that had him traveling as much as ever. It was only a couple years ago that Paciorek finally came out with his side of events.

It's anyone's guess why the Sox wanted Paciorek out. It's like a gulag over there and we may never know the real reason because nobody but the guy running the gulag knows the full story -- and he ain't talkin'.

Speculation is Harrelson had a hand in it, but that's strictly speculation.