PDA

View Full Version : Wrigley Vendors

soxwon
05-22-2005, 12:28 PM
i know alot of the beer vendors at wrigley,also work at the Cell.
Ive gotten to know quite a few of them, through out the years.
yesterday i was sitting, in sec 215, there was a beer guy, who served our section.
his name was RICHARD C.
Beers are $5.50 each, most people bought 2 thats $11.
Richard would get the $20 or $15 from the customer then have the Audacity to ask "how much do you want back", this guy was asking for a tip.
most people said keep a buck, but some forgot how much they gave him, and in the case of a guy, who gave him $15, who forgot what he gave him, he said KEEP it, thus a 4 dollar tip.
this is sickening, shouldnt he be reported?
ive never seen him at sox games.
whats your thought?

TornLabrum
05-22-2005, 12:41 PM
yesterday i was sitting, in sec 215, there was a beer guy, who served our section.
his name was RICHARD C.
Richard would get the $20 or $15 from the customer then have the Audacity to ask "how much do you want back", this guy was asking for a tip.
most people said keep a buck, but some forgot how much they gave him, and in the case of a guy, who gave him $15, who forgot what he gave him, he said KEEP it, thus a 4 dollar tip.
whats your thought?

I don't give a rat's ***.

HebrewHammer
05-22-2005, 01:40 PM
his name was RICHARD C.
whats your thought?

At least you weren't sitting in the upper deck. He probably would have demanded a coke before allowing you to buy beer.

Nellie_Fox
05-23-2005, 02:30 AM
You do have to pay attention to these guys. I ordered a beer one time, and did the usual thing, of having the beer passed down to me while I passed a twenty dollar bill back toward the vendor. When my change came back, it was change for a ten, and by then the vendor was gone.

A couple of minutes later I saw him coming down the aisle on the other side. I stood up and yelled "hey, I gave you a twenty." Without a word of argument, he sent another ten spot down the row to me. Makes you wonder how much extra money he made every night from people who paid no attention the change they got back and just stuffed it in their pocket.

MUsoxfan
05-23-2005, 02:46 AM
Those guys look out for #1. They only care about money. Most work at both parks and work for $$. It doesn't surprise me even a little bit that they try to swindle a little bit of cash here and there

cubhater
05-23-2005, 09:25 AM
I have no problem giving the beer vendors a buck or two as a tip. But I refuse to give them anything if they ask how much change I want back. It's like a waiter insisting on a tip.

juanuribe
05-24-2005, 12:03 AM
You do have to pay attention to these guys. I ordered a beer one time, and did the usual thing, of having the beer passed down to me while I passed a twenty dollar bill back toward the vendor. When my change came back, it was change for a ten, and by then the vendor was gone.

A couple of minutes later I saw him coming down the aisle on the other side. I stood up and yelled "hey, I gave you a twenty." Without a word of argument, he sent another ten spot down the row to me. Makes you wonder how much extra money he made every night from people who paid no attention the change they got back and just stuffed it in their pocket.

I've got some news for you, that's how most vendors are TAUGHT to operate. I sold beer as a union vendor for 2 years (I won't say where) and the person who showed me the ropes told me the following, "always give the small bills back first and hope they walk away or forget what they gave you." At the time, beers were 3.75 each, or 4 or $15. I can't tell you how many times someone bought 4 beers, paid with a $50 and I gave them a $5 back, and they walked away. The first time it happened, I called the person back and squared up, after that I was summarily reprimanded by the other vendor (a 20+ year vet) I was working with, along with the reprimand, I was docked $30, the $30 I gave the customer back. After 2 years of that crap, even the awesome money wasn't worth it and I quit. Those guys work off of a very healthy commission (when I worked, beer guys got 8%, but some vendors made as much as a 20% cut) and they still try and pinch the fan for every dollar they can. Now this doesn't apply to every vendor, but I'd wager the guys you see at the park year after year will fall into this category. IMO, some vendors are a half step above carnys. Caveat emptor.

Chisox003
05-24-2005, 01:31 AM
Well guys, I happen to know almost all the beer vendors that work at the Cell, as I also vend there....

Im not old enough to sell beer, but I sure as hell wouldnt (and don't) ask "How much change do you want back"

Thats ridiculous, and while most of these guys are doing this for a living (while I definitely am not) theres no way they should ever ask that question...

As for me, save your tips that you normally give to the chumps that sell beer and dont forget those hotdog guys :wink: :gulp:

MUsoxfan
05-24-2005, 01:35 AM
As for me, save your tips that you normally give to the chumps that sell beer and dont forget those hotdog guys :wink: :gulp:

I tip the Dog vendors particularly well on Thursdays. Is that your best day?

Chisox003
05-24-2005, 04:15 AM
I tip the Dog vendors particularly well on Thursdays. Is that your best day?

Usually, about 20 loads of hotdogs by each vendor are sold on Thursdays....Tips are usually pretty good, and the fans act like its the second coming when a hotdog guy comes down their aisle....Easily the craziest nights of the year

SOXintheBURGH
05-24-2005, 09:59 AM
I used to deliver subs and cheesesteaks when I was in University, and I never said "How much do you want back?" I'd always say something to the regard of "That's $12.54," and be given the reply of "Just gimme a buck back" or "Thanks man, keep it." Asking for tips is for sucks.